Will I Like Chiangmai?

curiouspasserby

Hi all,

Early next year I plan to leave the dreaded corporate world, travel to Thailand and be a writer. I am considering Chiangmai. I don't plan to do much touristy things, just rent a studio / 1 bed room apartment and just live there. I will pay my rent, make Thai friends, live like a local and work on my novel. I like walking but would not want to do too much of that everyday thus I like staying close to the city center everywhere I go, near the action. In different cities that I have lived in, one of my criteria is usually staying near the train station which will allow me to get to places easy. However, I heard that Chiangmai does not have one. Public transportation any good?

I also plan to take Thai lessons, perhaps a group class just to fill up some time and have a better understanding of Thai culture. Other than that, I will visit the ocasional disco or bar as I do enjoy beer. Most of the time I would see myself sitting at a coffee shop with my laptop working on my novel. Sometimes I would take long walks and try to strike up a conversation with a passing stranger. I do like Thai girls and plan to start a relationship with one, especially the really pale white skin ones. I heard they originate from Chiangmai. Is that true? I also find interest in ladyboys, physically and maybe even emotionally. Are there many in Chiangmai?

I would only have around 200k Baht to my name thus I have to make my money last as long as possible. Monthly budget for rent and expenses would probably be 20-25k Baht. Will under 10k Baht be possible to get a nice studio / 1 bed room near the city center? With internet preffered. My budget looking ok?

So anyways, that should be enough about me. Will I like Chiangmai?

Edited by curiouspasserby

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What visa do you plan to stay on? I don't think there is one for what you want to do.
Tourist visa for 2 months then extend for another 1 month, that would last me 3 months? I did that last time when I was in Bangkok.

Yeah, sure, you could play that visa run game for awhile. Based on your post, it sounded like you want to settle here for years at a time. That would be very difficult these days. If you are looking for a place you could settle for years on your budget without visa problems, you might consider Cambodia.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of more "bohemian" types hanging out in Thailand. But immigration has a different idea.

Edited by Jingthing

What visa do you plan to stay on? I don't think there is one for what you want to do.
Tourist visa for 2 months then extend for another 1 month, that would last me 3 months? I did that last time when I was in Bangkok.

Yeah, sure, you could play that visa run game for awhile. Based on your post, it sounded like you want to settle here for years at a time. That would be very difficult these days. If you are looking for a place you could settle for years on your budget without visa problems, you might consider Cambodia.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of more "bohemian" types hanging out in Thailand. But immigration has a different idea.

Nah, not years. I haven't even visited the place yet, so I don't know if I would like it. Probably a shorter time frame I had in mind for the beginning, say 6 months.

No train station in Chiang Mai ?

http://www.railway.co.th/English/network.asp

I mean a within the city LRT / MRT system.

By all means, at least TRY to get double or triple entry tourist visa in your home country before you come. You will find having those extra entries very useful and very hard to come by once you come to Thailand. I think you will like CM. The only reason I don't live there is the bad air seasons they have, I can't hack it.

CM was really nice - very laid back/relaxing. I quite enjoyed my time there and would go back again in an instant. :o

- ditto -, but I only saw it for a week as a tourist. I thought it had a very good 'feel' and I would not hesitate to visit again.

120,000 baht per month should provide a semi comfortable existance in Chiang Mai.

Many of the new arrivals (CNX experts) will dispute this but the matter has already been discussed many times.

120,000 = Live like a King.

12,000 = Can get by with no problems.

Heck, 120K baht a month would do me fine in New York City.

It's only US$4,000 roughly. Be comfortable or don't bother........IMO

Come on, that is way more than you need to live nicely in CM! I happen to think 20K is poverty level for a farang, but possible and if someone just wants to hang out and write, why not?

Heck, 120K baht a month would do me fine in New York City.

It's only US$4,000 roughly. Be comfortable or don't bother........IMO

Come on, that is way more than you need to live nicely in CM! I happen to think 20K is poverty level for a farang, but possible and if someone just wants to hang out and write, why not?

End of this month I will put 3,000 baht on the bar at Tuskers. Just a little part of my limited budget, but it is shared with you and others. Please try to be there at a date to anounced soon,

Reminds me of what JFK said about Washington DC,

"combines southern efficiency and northern hospitality"

I suppose highonthai just showed you some of that northern hospitality. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, at least he isn't a MIME.

post-37101-1218393027_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Public (and private) transportation here is just fine. Easy to get around and inexpensive. YMCA offers an inexpensive Thai language course. 20-25k per month budget in the city with Internet is possible, no problems. You shouldn't have a problem finding a female companion. I think you will like Chiang Mai but everyone has different taste. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sure looks like I can get by 20k BHT no problems! Oh yeah, do the fair skin Thai girls originate from around here? Where have I heard that before? And are there many ladyboys in CM? Man, can't wait for next year! Cheers.
One or two of the ladyboys have really fair skin. I know one who is six feet tall. But maybe he is just gay. Never saw him in a dress...yet.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sure looks like I can get by 20k BHT no problems! Oh yeah, do the fair skin Thai girls originate from around here? Where have I heard that before? And are there many ladyboys in CM? Man, can't wait for next year! Cheers.
One or two of the ladyboys have really fair skin. I know one who is six feet tall. But maybe he is just gay. Never saw him in a dress...yet.

:o:D:D:D:D

Don't mind the asides and innuendos, CPB.

Chiang Mai is a great town, and you can live here much more reasonably than other major metro areas.

Do what a lot of us did- take the plunge, come here, check it out, and see if you like it.

If it works out for you, you'll stay here like many of us have.

It is not Patts, with the wild anything-goes 24 hour party scene. It is not the Big Mango, either. But you can find pretty much whatever you are looking for here. Rents are very reasonable, excellent food, beautiful locale with mountains, lots of culture- and it actually gets COLD in the winter (apologies for shouting).....altogether a fine place.

Welcome!