Audiologist (hearing Aides)

WMHand

We haven't seen a reference to an audiologist in Chiang Mai. Is there someone you would recommend?

Wilmar

There are two shops (facing each other....) in the middle of the first floor of Panthip Plaza. I can't say yea or nay about the people or services, but the brands of hearing aids that they carry are good quality, custom fitted, and reliable. They also carry fresh zinc-air batteries.

We haven't seen a reference to an audiologist in Chiang Mai. Is there someone you would recommend?

Wilmar

It took a while to contact him, but I have heard from an acquaintance who is quite happy with the care and results he received getting an examination and hearing aid. I quote from his email:

"Regarding my hearing aid. I got it through the public hospital.

[Nakornphing]. I was first assessed by a Dr chatchai, then on to the

hospital.

'Took,' the audiologist on ph 053:999261, Room 23; OPD, will do the rest."

Edited by Mapguy

• 3 weeks later...

How about prices? I wear hearing aids and in the U.S. they are about $2000 for one custom fitted in the ear type. I was wondering if they might be a lot less inexpensive in Thailand so that I could take care of any problems I might have while staying in LOS the next 6 months.

How about prices? I wear hearing aids and in the U.S. they are about $2000 for one custom fitted in the ear type. I was wondering if they might be a lot less inexpensive in Thailand so that I could take care of any problems I might have while staying in LOS the next 6 months.

Yes, generally, the cost should be less expensive here, but you obviously have to check prices on your own. I provided a number above to call. Country code is +66. Drop the zero when dialing internationally.

There is also another thread. Try "Hearing Aids," perhaps.

Edited by Mapguy

I have Siemens behind the ear, very powerful but not perfect. I got them free via VA in states. Was examined here at hospital (CM Ram) by audiologist and went to siemens store in panthip plaza for adjustment cost free.

The only "audiologist" that I am aware of that is in CM full time is a professor at ChanmMai Ram and you will not get the latest in technology through that location.

The other two options are MukDa with a shop in Pantip. MuKda is Thai Masters level Thailand trained audiiologist that is based in Pataya and on occassion makes her way up to her branch office in Pantip.

Then the second option, is an Audiologist from America with a doctorate degree in Audiology. That would be me. We have a branch office in Pantip also. I also go there on occassion but am based in BKK. You can go to that particular branch office for service, but if you want to visit with me, it is best to make an appointment.

Dakhar...........About 5 or 6 years ago I had my hearing tested in Australia. They said I was profoundly deaf on any frequency over 1,000 Hertz. If I remember correctly they said it was a 90db loss.

I did try hearing aids at that time, supposedly state of the art $8,000 for the pair. They did no good as they only amplified what I was able to hear, volume was not the problem on what I could hear but background noise makes everything unintelligible.

Have they improved at all in the last 5 years? Cochlear implants seem questionable as it is a new learning experience, at 74 I shy away from new learning experiences that are very costly and may not work.

My hearing is getting progressively worse (according to my wife). Anything that can correct the 90db loss?.

Might I suggest you look into "behind the ear" aids. Nowadays they are quite unobtrusive and my experience has been very positive compared to my previous "in the ear" type. Mine are Siemens. I am very happy with them.

• 2 months later...
Dakhar...........About 5 or 6 years ago I had my hearing tested in Australia. They said I was profoundly deaf on any frequency over 1,000 Hertz. If I remember correctly they said it was a 90db loss.

I did try hearing aids at that time, supposedly state of the art $8,000 for the pair. They did no good as they only amplified what I was able to hear, volume was not the problem on what I could hear but background noise makes everything unintelligible.

Have they improved at all in the last 5 years? Cochlear implants seem questionable as it is a new learning experience, at 74 I shy away from new learning experiences that are very costly and may not work.

My hearing is getting progressively worse (according to my wife). Anything that can correct the 90db loss?.

I appologize for the slow response, I assumed this thread was dead. Regarding your hearing loss... If say you really had a profound loss beyond 1K Hz, then yes fitting you with a hearing aid would be useless. But honestly I doubt it is the case that your hearing dramatically drops to profound levels at 1K Hz. Usually hearing loss is a gradual effect from frequency to frequency, getting worse the higher the frequencyies get. That being the case, hearing aids should theoritically help.

Might I suggest you look into "behind the ear" aids. Nowadays they are quite unobtrusive and my experience has been very positive compared to my previous "in the ear" type. Mine are Siemens. I am very happy with them.

I lover behind the ear hearing aids (BTE). But we have better technology today. They are commonly called RIC or RITE hearing aids.

http://www.trydotbyresound.com/

They really are far and beyond better than the standard BTEs of yore.

FYI Siemens has a very wide product line, from absolute junk to awesome. But in the end, it is the clinician that determines the final sound quality of the hearing aids. They are the ones that program the hearing aids. So if you purchase the most expensive hearing aids and have some one with zero training doing the work, do not expect the best results.