Two People Seriously Injured In Crash As Brakes Fail

BugJackBaron

This morning on Thappraya Rd next to the foodland supermarket the bus lost its breaks...it careened down the road

and hit a barracade next to the seven eleven by Pattaya properites and Papa Davids

Wires everywhere dangling, a car and motorbike totalled but no injuries I think...people still out here..

I was sitting drinking my coffee when I heard a really big bang.... looked outside and saw this.

(Sorry for poor picture quality - taken with mobile phone).

No need to apologize very good picture and a whole lot better than no picture at all.

Hope you did not spill your coffee :o

SOURCE: Pattaya One News: August 13th 2008

2 Seriously injured in crash as brakes fail on Coach full of Russian Tourists.

Just after 10.30 on Wednesday Morning, Police from Dongtan Sub-Station located on Jomtien Beach made their way to the scene of a road accident involving a Coach full of Russian Tourists and many other vehicles.

Rescue Units were also sent to the scene of the crash which occurred on the Thappraya Road which leads to Jomtien Beach. Two people were seriously injured in the crash which appears to have started when the Coach, operated by the DJ Transport Company and driven by Khun Somai aged 43, lost its brakes as it was travelling down the Thappraya Road towards Jomtien Beach.

A total of 9 vehicles were hit as the driver of the coach struggled to control the vehicle which was gaining speed as it approached the Hanaman Statue curve. A man and woman were seriously injured as the Coach collided with vehicles waiting at the traffic lights at the Tepprasit Road intersection.

The driver decided that he would be unable to traverse the curve in front of the Statue and decided it would be better for him to collide with concrete barricades located on the curve. His actions were commended by Police who confirmed that brake failure was the cause of the incident.

Photograph courtesy of Pattaya One News

post-26634-1218637548_thumb.jpg

I went past this today, bizarre !, anyone that knows this spot will agree its a miracle no one was killed, its a bit of waste land where the thai vendors with their barrows congregate and is open 24 hours,.how he got through their without collecting pedestrians is beyond me,the huge concrete block saved him from going further for sure,all the electric cables were dragged along with him also ! :o

I know some of the vendors that operate there and after speaking with them they told me that only 3 were there at the time of the incident and the coach narrowly missed them as it went passed just taking out one of their umbrellas. Very lucky!

These shots are of a bus which came sailing down Thapraya and was not able to make the turn towards Jomtien Beach. Instead, it went into-through the parking lot and struck this large cement cube, knocking it back quite a distance, and finally lading upon it.

The close up shot is from the south.

The distant shot is from Thapraya Road on the way to Theprasert Road.

post-12903-1219115508_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219115516_thumb.jpg

Went past this morning, six days after the event and it's still stuck there on it's concrete block. You'd think the bus company would have had it moved or at least covered up their livery so's not to get reputation for crashing buses.

Maybe the Ace Cafe on the corner is negotiating to rent it as an annex for their staff and change the name of their bar to the 'Bus Stop Bar' :o