Why Do Thai People Always Talk About Money?

theinside

Maybe it's because I've been in Thailand so many years but why are so many people in this forum offended by questions about money. (one guy threatened violence.)

I am personally more offended by direct questions pertaining to sexuality. (What kind of birth control do you use. What is your favorite sexual position, etc..) I don't like such questions because of how I was raised. Is it therefore that many farangs don't like money questions because of how they were raised? As for me, I don't think much about money and don't really care if someone asks me. (my low income is about the same as my Thai friends)

I love it that Thai's are so open as to discuss whatever is on their mind. Honest questions and honest answers encourage close friendship and I do have lots of close Thai friends.

It's not just a Thai thing.. It's endemic all over Asia. I've lived and worked all around the region and everybody wants to know, ''how much you earn?'', ''how much did it cost?''' ''what did you pay?'' etc.. I used to get offended or think they were being crass.. But I have come to realise they don't see it as offensive behavior.. My current girlfriend finds it a sorce of constant amusement when complete strangers ask how much I paid for my Ducati.. She says that the average 'Somchai' in a parking lot would never dare to ask a wealthy Thai the price of his BMW.. So I'm starting to think many are just being cheeky and doing something that they think they can get away with cos I'm not Thai.. My predicament is how to answer ? If I tell them the cost (like for my bike) they roll their eyes and give me the ''crazy farang look'' or they think I'm bullshitting them.. Or I mumble something and freign memory loss and they still think I'm a dumb farang.. lastly I can tell them in Thai that, ''It's none of your business'' which can sound offensive or tell them that they are being nosey (which is deffo insulting) None of these seem to be good solutions especially the latter.. I have a few middle class/moderately wealthy Thai friends and they never seem to get interogated by strangers.. Nor do they ask me about my financial situation.. Guess they are smart enough to work it out for themselves ? I've been with my current girlsfriend for a couple of years now.. She has a well paying job and we often discuss her finances.. She knows I'm well paid and can see from my lifestyle but in all that time she has never asked what I earn.. But I guarantee when I get in the taxi to Pattaya next week the second question from the driver will be ''One Month , how much you get?'' :o

must be only americans and brits that dont talk about money; thais here constantly talk about money and how much things cost... the best fun i have is to bring anon's friends advert booklets for electronics and such (ace sale books; computer center books with the pre sale and sale price, installment plans, buy one for a zillion dollars get a disc on key for free stuff) they love it...

and israelis sit around and first few questions after how many kids u have and why dont u have more kids, is usually about where u work, how much u make and what benefits u get, and how u are a sucker since a goood friend works for a different company for the same equipment/office/whatever and makes TWICE as much blabladeebla....

to us americans it used to freak us out (my ex inlaws always wanted to know how much my parents made since we had two cars and large house-- in a cheapy levit town in maryland)... they thought we were rich and so we were, compared to them... land rich money poor folks on kibbutz...

people here on busses ask how much u make!! i got over the problem years ago... kibbutznik , i dont make money... :o)

bina

israel.

In America, status, in large part, is determined by money. We are less likely to ask openly how much a person makes, but we are curious. The well off purchase things that show their wealth and disguise their wishes with statements of quality. We display our wealth and bask in the admiration of others.

I make more than 99% of Americans, but am an anomaly. Drive an 8 year car and live in a 1 bedroom apartment, but I have found other ways to let others know that I'm successful. Like posting it on this forum - LOL. We live in a material world and being a miser, I let people know of my success in a cheap manner.

When a Thai asks how much your motorcycle or clothes cost, why be offended. You've accomplished what you set out to do when you purchased those items.

It's not just a Thai thing.. It's endemic all over Asia. I've lived and worked all around the region and everybody wants to know, ''how much you earn?'', ''how much did it cost?''' ''what did you pay?'' etc.. I used to get offended or think they were being crass.. But I have come to realise they don't see it as offensive behavior.. My current girlfriend finds it a sorce of constant amusement when complete strangers ask how much I paid for my Ducati.. She says that the average 'Somchai' in a parking lot would never dare to ask a wealthy Thai the price of his BMW.. So I'm starting to think many are just being cheeky and doing something that they think they can get away with cos I'm not Thai.. My predicament is how to answer ? If I tell them the cost (like for my bike) they roll their eyes and give me the ''crazy farang look'' or they think I'm bullshitting them.. Or I mumble something and freign memory loss and they still think I'm a dumb farang.. lastly I can tell them in Thai that, ''It's none of your business'' which can sound offensive or tell them that they are being nosey (which is deffo insulting) None of these seem to be good solutions especially the latter.. I have a few middle class/moderately wealthy Thai friends and they never seem to get interogated by strangers.. Nor do they ask me about my financial situation.. Guess they are smart enough to work it out for themselves ? I've been with my current girlsfriend for a couple of years now.. She has a well paying job and we often discuss her finances.. She knows I'm well paid and can see from my lifestyle but in all that time she has never asked what I earn.. But I guarantee when I get in the taxi to Pattaya next week the second question from the driver will be ''One Month , how much you get?'' :o

Pdaz,

i assume you speak thai, if so i find answering with the following to be inoffensive, but also to stop these sort of questions in their tracks.

i just answer, por piang, por gin por chai (your g/f can explain if you dont understand) the look on somchais face is priceless, deer in the headlights look.

Well, much of the "Hi-so" set are pretty dam_n superficial. And this attitude spills over to the soap operas that dominate the airwaves, and consequently gets programmed into the minds of the masses. You would be surprised by the inane behavior mechanisms that get programmed into Thai women from these dam_n soap operas! :o

Well, much of the "Hi-so" set are pretty dam_n superficial. And this attitude spills over to the soap operas that dominate the airwaves, and consequently gets programmed into the minds of the masses. You would be surprised by the inane behavior mechanisms that get programmed into Thai women from these dam_n soap operas! :o

Here..Here..well said....my Thai is not that good, but have watched some of the facial expressions and mannerisms on these soap operas...after which realised my darling wife was copying them....

My partculiar favourite is when it comes to going to visit the wifes family. On every occassion I have been told by the family because I have a very good job Thailand, and good salary, I should be wearing lots of bahts of gold around the neck etc, showing off how much money I have, think they get a bit upset, because I rock up in a scruffy old t-shirt, old flip flops and a plastic watch on my wrist and no gold at all..!!!

yo when i met my shortys family fo the first time, dey aksed me how much money i was makin n sheet...

i was like, yo' you wanna stare down the barrel of my glock n den aks me dat again??? whatssup wit dat?!

interesting post, can't you just tell its the last week in july, first two weeks in august........holiday time is 2Pac :o

I don't know Capt., in the typical American office environment it is a big big taboo for people to know exactly what everyone is making. It pisses people off to know someone they think isn't as good as them makes more money, so the cultural bias is to keep this all very secret. Strangers will sooner tell you their sexual habits than their salary. Thais seem rude to us in their directness about money. I think usually they don't intend to be rude because they don't see that behavior as rude.

Indeed its a different culture, and attitude. In Belgium we never talk about our income, its not dun to do like that, even colleges don't know each other salary.

When I'm in Thailand and I invite my in-laws in a restaurant they always like to snatch the bill out of my hands to see how much I have to pay. But its with good intention I think, they like to check if the bill is correct, and they do it with thoroughness, when they doughty they even ask explanation to the waitress. Sometimes I feel very uncomfortable by it. And frankly my in-laws never asked about my income, even my wife never asks me that. Maybe its because they are ethnic Chinese.

But what I find more disturbing that Thai people always ask if I have a wife, girlfriend or mia noi, once even a barber asked if I had a boyfriend. Once I went to Kasikorn bank in Nakhon Sawan with my wife and they asked my wife very personal questions about her life with a farang. They even asked her if she could not find a farang husband for her. Take notice that my wife and I are 60+.

btw in 30 years I not yet succeed to have a meaningful conversation with Thais besides cars, family, food or how wonderful their country and Royal family is. An open minded meaningful intelectual discusions about the many taboos in Thai society seems to be impossible.

i just answer, por piang, por gin por chai (your g/f can explain if you dont understand) the look on somchais face is priceless, deer in the headlights look.

I doubt anyone would be that surprised as that's the standard answer for anyone who would prefer not to answer. Maybe you dragged the tones to make it sound like 'por piae, por gin po chai':

"Egg roll, because I ate Chai's dad."

:o

In Thailand it is essential to establish status positioning.

Age, income, education, experience, who your friends are, your job.

It all goes into a complex equation to determine who is

Pra

Tahn

Aachan

Kru

Phi

Nong

Goo/Mung

This determines how high your fingers climb when you wai.

excellent reply ...

I agree totally. For the combination of brevity and quality of content, I'd put this reply into my Top 10 list of basic easy ways to try to understand Thai people, culture and society. Two thumbs up!!

From my personal experience, my partner talks about money because she grew up dirt poor and rarely had two 10-baht coins to rub together. Now that she has a nice house, car and some money by way of our relatioship and her hard work & sacrifices, she has higher social standing in the village and higher self-esteem because of it. But what's wrong with that? Don't many of us strive to have a better life for ourselves and the people we care about?

Almost every Thai that I've ever met in my 7 years in Thailand seems obsessed with money. It seems that they talk about nothing that isn't directly linked to money and wealth. I cannot understand why money is the only thing on their minds, there're countless other subjects to talk about but Thais don't seem to care about them. I'm talking about Thais from all different backgrounds, poor to super rich. And I never hang around the bargirls, it's expected that they would be crazy for money.

As for showing off their wealth, they really let you know when they have cash. Some go as far as telling you how much is in their bank when they've just met you. I wouldn't lower myself to tell them I have more or less than them, it just doesn't interest me!

Try Hong Kong. You'll find them far worse!

In all cultures we of course spend much of our time staying alive by pursuing money, it's just that I think in my own British culture for example we are a bit more restrained about talking about it.

To us talking money is vulgar... to many Asians less so.

Pdaz,

i assume you speak thai, if so i find answering with the following to be inoffensive, but also to stop these sort of questions in their tracks.

Mai tong tarm kao.. Pom khao jai laew :D .. Sorry for the crap transliteration into English. But I didn't know if you could read thai script? Anyhow no choice cos I can't type in Thai on my work PC.. I too have a few glib sayings for nosey Thais and others that need a quick answer but to tell you the truth I get tired of repeating them on a daily basis..( See so, hai quai fung. Is another that springs to mind - ask your GF :D ) Even if you stand there and genially answer their questions they are often none the wiser.. The Pattya Police officer who stopped me a few Months ago is a prime example.

He saw me on 2nd road and gestured for me to stop.. He asked for my driving licence and rego. Then proceeded to look all around my bike with great interest, as if he was a bike enthusiast.. He then comes back and stands next to me and asks (in Thai) ''yeehaw arai'' (what brand is it?) Considering he was staring at D U C A T I printed in three inch high capitals on the tank at the time I was slightly taken aback... Not wanting to answer any more questions I jokingly replied ''Yamaha'' :D ... ''Oh'' says the cop nodding his head .. ''paeng mai?'' ''Paeng si'' was my reply.. Then I was commanded to go on my way.. Laughing to myself as I rode away..

Almost every Thai that I've ever met in my 7 years in Thailand seems obsessed with money. It seems that they talk about nothing that isn't directly linked to money and wealth. I cannot understand why money is the only thing on their minds, there're countless other subjects to talk about but Thais don't seem to care about them. I'm talking about Thais from all different backgrounds, poor to super rich. And I never hang around the bargirls, it's expected that they would be crazy for money.

That is not specifically Thai related. If someone talks constantly about money then either he does not have any or not a considerable amount of it.

Another misconception ............ sorry, but I do not agree with the comments on this thread that Thai's are more obsessed with, or talk more about money. Yes, there may well be groups of people in Thai society who are "obsessed" with the subject, but those groups exist in all cultures and ethnic groups.

If anything its a socio-economic group thing - and by comparison to Western societies, which are by and large wealtheir, the group of Thai's for whom balancing the pennies is important on a daily basis, is larger than the same "groups" we come across in most Western societies.

In short: I'd be more inclined to say it's a reflection of the socio-economic group you mix/work/talk and communicate with - not a reflection of Thai culture anymore than its a reflection of American or European culture.

MF

I seldom hear anyone talk about money. Maybe it's because no one in my area has any. They even resign themselves to accept whatever their crops bring. Money is really tight up here and you have to watch everything you have. They will steal anything they can. It's a shame but unfortunately it is a fact.

You here Thais talking about money, it's true, but not anymore than any other nationalities I hear. For Thais I've observed they like to talk about 1) food. What's delicious, what's not. 2) Beauty, what's beautiful and what is not. 3) where they come from. Nothing they find is as good as it was where they come froom (sound familiar expats).

They do like to talk about land. Much more so than money I find.

In all cultures we of course spend much of our time staying alive by pursuing money, it's just that I think in my own British culture for example we are a bit more restrained about talking about it.

But when it comes to the value of their house, the RESTRAINT is not so evident.

Most Brit house owners will tell you what they paid for their house and its current value, before they've even introduced themselves.

And people think we just talk about the weather. :o

hers family be aksin me bout makin money on my timeshares, i get ril sick of dat.

and dey always wantin a piece. i never wanna go visit dem, but my girl says i gots to go maintain. im sick of hearin bout money cash money. i make my money, i keep my money, ain't gonna go nowhere fer ril.

Geez dude...go see your English teacher and ask for your money back......

Wealth in these parts....Uk and Ireland...is usually measured by;

1. Where you live

2. Type of house you live in, and how big

3. Car you drive

4. Schools your kids go to.

5. More of the above.

It is quite apparent to all and sundry... and boy o' boys do some of the new guys on the block here know how to let you know what they have!!

Me?? I just let my chauffeur give the odd wave. :D ... :o

Edited by harleyclarkey

I get sick of thais asking my missus how much i am worth etc.I have told her not to discuss my private life with anybody especialy estate agents or farangs lol.

Seriously though some of my mates gf/wives would be thrown out of the window if i was with them,never frigging shut up and even know how much they are worth when the farang is dead lol.No wonder they ask ME if their wives love them hehehehehehehehehe.

Was talking to a lovely Thai girl the other day, and all we talked about was the weather, how difficult it was to find decent accommodation, food, relationships, friends etc.

At the end of the conversation she admitted she had 3 close friends who she could talk about anything with. The one thing though she said they never talked about was money. Because, she said as soon as friends start talking about money and borrowing you get problems and friendships get damaged.

Thais are human too! Although they do like talking about bowel movements a bit too much :o

JJ.

As for showing off their wealth, they really let you know when they have cash. Some go as far as telling you how much is in their bank when they've just met you. I wouldn't lower myself to tell them I have more or less than them, it just doesn't interest me!

In my opinion, what people always talk about here in Thailand is actually food.

Food food food.

The money talk issue is more a regional thing.

During my first few years in Thailand, I thought that Thai's always talked about money. I've been here for ten years now, am pretty fluent and no longer notice it.

I think part of the reason for thinking as you do is a lack of Thai language skills. When your Thai is limited, about all you pick up on in conversations is numbers and money.

During my first few years in Thailand, I thought that Thai's always talked about money. I've been here for ten years now, am pretty fluent and no longer notice it.

I think part of the reason for thinking as you do is a lack of Thai language skills. When your Thai is limited, about all you pick up on in conversations is numbers and money.

I speak Thai very well ,and also think that they only talk about money and material things.