2 Rottweilers Maul 2-year-old Girl To Death

fishbone

2 Rottweilers maul 2-year-old girl to death

Published on August 14, 2008

Nakhon Ratchasima - Two Rottweilers of a Dutch man mauled his two-year-old half Thai daughter to death early Thursday morning, police said.

The girl, Romklao Ploo, was attacked and killed inside her house compound in Nakhon Ratchasima's Muang district at 1 am.

The mother, Jintana Ploo, 42, was severely injured when trying to save her daughter from the two dogs.

She told police that she put down her daughter on the floor to unlock the front door of her house and the dogs jumped on the girl.

She said her Dutch husband raised the two dogs to guard the house after burglars broke in several times.

The husband is mostly working in Holland and visits her and daughter once in a while, she said.

The Nation

I just read the article and i feel very sorry for the family. But how can these happend ? Why people growing so dangerous dogs and have no experience how to handle them.

I'm horriefied that there is no control .

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She put the kid on the floor, `maybe` one of the dogs stood over the kid and she tried to get up.

Seeing it from a dogs point of view this is not submissive behavior by the kid.

When the kid is on the floor the head of the dog is over that of hers, so the dog is number one, alpha, at that moment.

Look what dogs do when they meet, they try to put their head over the neck of the other dog, if they succeed, they are in charge, they are the winner, they know who is boss.

When you have a well socialized dog, it will stop playing or fighting when the other dog gives up and lays still on it`s back. Children don't `surrender`, they don't lay still. Dogs don't understand. If one dog attacks, so will the other.

I am not saying this is what really happened, we will never know I think, but lots of dog attacks stem from these differences in interpretation of the signals. Human versus animal.

My stupid theory is completely lost if you really try to imagine what happened.

RIP.

Edited by Carib

.....she tried to get up.

Seeing it from a dogs point of view this is not submissive behavior by the kid.

When the kid is on the floor the head of the dog is over that of hers, so the dog is number one, alpha, at that moment.

RIP.

You got a point there somewhere that is why I never, ever would have ANY animal around which could one day try and challenge me, just by it's size, weight and power...!

This would very likely not happened with some thai dog like "tong daeng"... or really well trained dog - heaven knows

very sad story.

RIP

Very sad tale, I tried putting this in General Topics but it was closed.....as it's already running in The Isaan Forum where only a few will read it. :o

RIP to the girl and I hope people who live outside of Isaan will realize the dangers that can arise with powerful dogs versus small children.

I'm very surprised the moderrator wanted this out of general topics as it could well affect many people in Thailand, not just those that read the Isaan Forum.

RIP to the little girl and condolences to her parents.

I don't really understand why people think you must have powerful dogs as guard dogs. What you need is noisy dogs. But whatever you have a drug laced piece of meat usually deals with it. In fact the best guard dogs are geese.

Well, I came through general to this thread, and possible so will others.

I heard the horrific news this morning from my staff, who got it from the TV.

How this most horrible accident could have happen we can only guess. Is it possible the dogs weren't socialized with the child? Or maybe the mother and child came home after dark, went into the garden to their house and the dogs didn't recognize them immediately? It is of extreme importance to call your dogs BEFORE going through the gate especially after dark. Many people assume that the dogs will immediately recognize the owners, but that's not always the case.

A couple of years ago I came home during the day after a visit to my home country. In stead of coming with our car or motorbike I was dropped of by a red taxi and walk the last part home. My most beloved boxer (RIP), with whom I had a very good bond, did not recognized me immediately and started furiously making alarm. Once I called her she was all happiness.

Another example of an old lady I knew. She had a huge wall around her house and the gate was made of thick teak wood with a little door in it. One evening she came home after dark, opened the door and was attacked by their dog. Luckily she understood the situation immediately and didn't blame the dog. Because it was dark, she came home walking and the dog couldn't see nor smell her, he didn't know it was her and thought it was a stranger.

No matter what the story of the little girl is, it is definitely very much heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to the father mother and rest of the family of this child. My sincere condolences.

Little Romklao, Rest in Peace.

Nienke

RIP to the little girl and condolences to her parents.

I don't really understand why people think you must have powerful dogs as guard dogs. What you need is noisy dogs. But whatever you have a drug laced piece of meat usually deals with it. In fact the best guard dogs are geese.

This opinion seems reasonable to me. Hopefully people will see the sound logic of your suggestion and think twice before getting notoriously aggressive dogs to help guard their homes.

It's tempting to go into a bit of a tirade about irresponsible dog owners, but I'll forgo that aspect of the story and only express my deepest sympathy for the poor mother who must be absolutely frantic at the loss of her precious and innocent child.

Rotweillers seem to have a bad reputation here, Thais are terrified of them. Even their owners seem to have a fear, I've seen many left in cages or tied up frustrated while other dogs play. I wonder if this fear discourages the owners from socializing their dogs?

We have a dog that looked like a Rot when it was a pup. Wanting to be responsible, I read all about the breed. There were some really good suggestions such as not letting them destroy soft toys, rubbing their stomach while they lay on you lap.

Having a kid in the same age and reading the title made my heart miss a beat out of sadness.

We have some 29 dogs now (had 3 pass away of old age this year) and I'm very carefull about allowing my son play around any of the dogs. It doesn't matter that I could control each and every one. They are dogs and they can be fierce against intruders and rivals - and even a dog that think he is just 'raising' a kid would do way too much damage for a parent to accept. Puppies can handle a dog for parent, human kids cannot...

Anyway, Rottweilers aren't bad dogs. But if they aren't properly trained they can become very dangerous...as can most dogs.

I knew someone would come along to say what sweet & gentle creatures these & other military breeds are.

How they have no problems leaving toddlers alone with these fierce dogs.

No difference between keeping these & lions & tigers. I'm not blaming the dogs - not one bit.

I'm blaming irresponsible owners who are f'in clueless.

In this particular case we have a guy who doesn't even live in Thailand but comkes to visit his other family "once in a while". Bravo old chap. How brave.

In fact the best guard dogs are geese.

But it's hard to house train them...

Once again my many condolences to the family of the little girl. I am sure her Father, being thousands of miles away, has some very deep thoughts now about having a fierce dog in the household.

These are dangerous dogs that should never be around children. Ditto Dobermans & Pit Bulls.

Same same loaded gun.

Where in the post are Pitbull's mentioned? Why everytime something so terrible like this happens do the usual suspects get verbally accused?

a dog attack can happen with any breed, there are cases of poodles injuring and killing people, no one can be sure when this may or may not happen or indeed with which breed.

All dogs are dangerous in the wrong circumstances and conditions, please be aware of that.

I have a lot of pity for the father and I'm sure his life is completely destroyed. I don't think there is any need to accuse him of anything because he will likely always blame himself. The article says that his house was robbed a few times and he likely got the dogs to protect his family while he was away - fairly reasonable. I personally wouldn't allow a dog like that near my son. We have a gentle Shih Tzu and I wouldn't leave her alone with my son until he is well able to protect himself, but that is just me.

This is probably one of the most upsetting stories I have read on here. When I think of how frightened that poor baby must have been it makes me shudder. That poor man will have to live with those type of images. My deepest sympathy to him and his wife.

Keeping any pet with young children requires adjustment. Case upon time, children suffer from the lack of knowledge of their parent. Even, domestic cats have been known to suffocate children to death! My heart goes out to the family, I'm sure they are remorseful that they never took the time to look into pet dangers. I am no dog lover, but please get off their backs, it was an accidental tradgedy. So many things can happen to children while growing up, as adults we should take this as a reality check to see if we are doing all we can do to protect ours, lest her passing be in vain.

Oz