2 Rottweilers Maul 2-year-old Girl To Death

fishbone

The grandparents and parents of Romklao have learned a very hard and irreversible lesson about dogs with many of their behavioral traits still quite similar to their ancestors, Canis lupus familiaris, sub-species of the wolf.

Correct. And what makes this even worse is that the Mother most likely didn't choose to have fierce dogs in the house.

The Dutch prat made this decision & then fukks off back to Holland.

Few Thai's, especially females would choose to keep such dogs as pets.

The Dutch prat is an accessory to murder. He should be carrying a criminal record to reflect that. JMHO.

yup, you are a real expert on these things, a `know it all`.

In another thread you state that you wouldn't hesitate to kill other human beings if YOU think they are in the wrong. You seem to be a one man court.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife was reading in a Thai news paper that the dogs where very agressive and had even tried to attack the little girl at least once before!!!

This man should be charged with endangering a childs life and do some hard time.

Perhaps you might also have read (or should I say your wife read) that the local children enjoyed teasing these new dogs by throwing stones at them.

Update:

City to clamp down on rottweilers

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Nakhon Ratchasima will take a census of rottweilers to prevent more maulings. A two-year-old girl was killed when attacked by dogs on Thursday.

Mayor Surawuth Cherdchai said the municipality would start tomorrow speaking with owners of the breed to ensure they were properly cared for.

The animals will be registered, and there will be follow-up checks.

The city's 2,000 health volunteers will keep an eye on dogs to reduce the risk of attacks, he said.

The two dogs that killed the girl have been handed to a special police task force where they will be trained in security and attacking criminals.

-- The Nation 2008-08-17

A truly horrifying story. But it is not the breed that is the cause.

There are 1000's of Rottweilers, Dobermans, even Pit Bulls around the world that are properly raised and would never attack an infant, toddler or other family member. It is a matter of upbringing.

There is greater danger when two dogs are brought into the home at the same time, even as puppies, as they will grow up with more of a competitive pack mentality, which can include the children. If you want more than one dog, it is better to bring one puppy home, acclimate it to the family, train it in basic discipline and behaviors, then at least six months later, (nine months is better), bring home another one.

There is though the other consideration of blood line. Dogs that are bred from a long unbroken "heritage" of good disposition will be better for homes that have children. This is one advantage of pedigreed dogs although it certainly doesn't help alleviate the terrible suffering of soi dogs.

But any dog that is "trained" to be a guard dog should never have access to children. There is no reason to convert a dog, who will have a natural instinct for protecting its "family", from a pet to a guard. A dog raised from a puppy and properly integrated into the family will die trying, without hesitation, to protect any family members.

And any dog can be trained not to accept any food given to it by a non-family member.

My wife was reading in a Thai news paper that the dogs where very agressive and had even tried to attack the little girl at least once before!!!

This man should be charged with endangering a childs life and do some hard time.

Perhaps you might also have read (or should I say your wife read) that the local children enjoyed teasing these new dogs by throwing stones at them.

Bingo! I get the same from the kids in my village. I have a mini-schnauzer who is very tame and docile. However, kids/teens seem to enjoy teasing the hel_l out of her by poking sticks through the gate at her or making aggressive movements towards her. The parents, for some inane reason, find it humorous when they see her get upset. Trying to talk to the parents and kids about teasing and being aggressive to animals has proved pointless to them. Though I wouldn't ever do it, I would love to someday point sticks towards them and see how they feel about it. I guarantee they too would become agitated and aggressive. It does sometimes fall on the parents, and their inability to teach their kids regarding animals. I have a gate and mesh wire around around the gate for a reason, but for some reason a sense of entitlement seems to overtake some people.

Rotweillers seem to have a bad reputation here, Thais are terrified of them. Even their owners seem to have a fear, I've seen many left in cages or tied up frustrated while other dogs play. I wonder if this fear discourages the owners from socializing their dogs?

We have a dog that looked like a Rot when it was a pup. Wanting to be responsible, I read all about the breed. There were some really good suggestions such as not letting them destroy soft toys, rubbing their stomach while they lay on you lap.

They have a bad reputation everywhere. A few years ago in the UK large dogs had to be mussled because of attacks mainly by Rot's. I don't have a dog here but in the UK I had them for 20 years of my life, and although this is a very sad story, i would never have a dog like this around a small child, and 2 is leathel as there will always be compotion between them. And from what i understand, Rot's in particular respond to changes in shape, so children are more at risk as crawl all over the place. I had an German Shepard that used to growl at my Neice who was 3 years old at the time. My dog was seperated while visited from by my sister and her kids.

If people don't understand the nature of dogs, they shouldn't own them.

In my opinion the parents made a bad choice in dogs, and or keeping them after the child. Very sad though.

There is not one vet in Thailand that will put an animal down. Been there done that. Pathetic.

Which is why they take their unwanted animals to the nearest Wat & dump them.

This is not true. My vet here on Phuket had to put down a cat I had with advanced feline leukemia.

The reason why people here take their unwanted animals to the nearest Wat and dump them, is that they want to abrogate responsibility. It's a national trait.

Condolenses to the family. I can think of no heartbreak greater for parents than the death of their child. With all the dog experts and otherwise who have posted I have not noticed mention of the pack action of dogs. In my limited experience I have noticed that packs (2 or more) of dogs seem to be more agressive than any of the individuals when seperated. This seems to be the case in chaseing and killing livestock (sheep. goats, chickens etc) other dogs in the area, and people who approach a gated area where the dogs are confined. I am not saying this to get the Thai dog bashers going as I have noticed this outside Thailand also. I have used this to try to keep my wife from adopting more dogs (3 now) with 2 of her dog showing this tendency.

• 4 weeks later...