Where Is A Nice Cycle Route In/arond Chiang Mai?

buripuk

I'm just looking for suggestions from anyone where I can ride my bycle that is nice.

I only have a Mary Poppins type bike, so no gears so don't feel like something like going up to Doi Suthep.

I live near Makro on the Hang Dong Rd, so any suggestions?

Yeah.

Coming out of Makro, turn left until the traffic lights for the Ratchapruek Road, where you turn right towards the Night Safari. At the Night Safari Roundabout turn left and follow the road, until the next turn-off to the left. That's a road without a lot of traffic and you can keep following it, ending up in the sois around Wat Nong Khwai. What you do there is up to you, either go back, or keep going through the sois & villages on either side of the Canal Road.

An alternative from the Night Safari Roundabout is to go the other way towards that temple on the mountain and the CMU agro area, from where you can keep going through small sois pretty much all the way to Soi Wat Umong and hit town that way.

Yeah.

Coming out of Makro, turn left until the traffic lights for the Ratchapruek Road, where you turn right towards the Night Safari. At the Night Safari Roundabout turn left and follow the road, until the next turn-off to the left. That's a road without a lot of traffic and you can keep following it, ending up in the sois around Wat Nong Khwai. What you do there is up to you, either go back, or keep going through the sois & villages on either side of the Canal Road.

An alternative from the Night Safari Roundabout is to go the other way towards that temple on the mountain and the CMU agro area, from where you can keep going through small sois pretty much all the way to Soi Wat Umong and hit town that way.

thanks very much for that, when i work out your directions i'll head out there next week. Cheers.

I second the recommendation for heading towards Wat Umong. Lots to see on the way and lots of little soi's. If you decide to just go on a random ramble around, you will find things like small Wat's, scenic areas, and a wildlife park (behind Wat Umong). Dont forget your raincoat :o

Get a copy of the Big Map (Gecko Books and others), it shows cycling areas with interesting info too. About time they started giving me commission for raving on about the Big Map but I'm continually surprised to find how many people who have been here for years haven't seen it. It's the only one I've seen that names pretty much all the sois plus a huge number of shop names and also covers a decent area outside the moat. It's got pretty good transliterations for street names too.

Edited by Greenside