Why Red - Not Green?

lawling

A few times recently I have seen Thai people happily drinking green Fanta.

However, I notice that at spirit shrines, it always seems to be red Fanta that is offered, either in bottles or glasses - I can't remember ever having seen the green, or even orange, variety there.

I'm sure there must be a good reason. Maybe some members with Thai family could find out the answer. Could it just be that the red looks more appealing?

However, I notice that at spirit shrines, it always seems to be red Fanta that is offered, either in bottles or glasses - I can't remember ever having seen the green, or even orange, variety there.

I'm sure there must be a good reason. Maybe some members with Thai family could find out the answer. Could it just be that the red looks more appealing?

Disappointing responses, Lawling! I thought all those guys that are usually so vociferous about their knowledge of all things Thai, would have been rushing to provide answers. :o

Possible Chinese influence, lucky colour.

This was my first thought but not really sure. We need a Thai to answer this one. I don't have a "TG" or "TW" either :o , but plenty of you do, so how about asking them for us ?

There are many interesting associations attached to colour here. Add in the Buddhist factor and it's even more complex.

Could the significance of red fanta be this ?

1. The Buddhist flag is yellow-orange. The Dharma wheel is drawn on it.
  2. The Thai flag ("THONG TRAI RONG" - ธงไตรรงค์) symbolises the monarchy (blue color), the nation (red color) and the Buddhism (white color).

wat17.jpg Buddhist and Thai flags

We need a Thai to answer this one.

You may not still get an answer, this could be one of those 'five monkeys in a cage' scenarios.

This possibility did occur to me :o:D . Let's see how many answers we can collect and then have a poll.

What's the "five monkeys" story ? Do they like red fanta, too ?

Edited by sylviex

We need a Thai to answer this one.

You may not still get an answer, this could be one of those 'five monkeys in a cage' scenarios.

This possibility did occur to me :o:D . Let's see how many answers we can collect and then have a poll.

What's the "five monkeys" story ? Do they like red fanta, too ?

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, all of the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result, and all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon the monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be attacked.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth.

Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey. After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not? Because as far as they know, that’s the way it’s always been done around there.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/Articles/a-m/monkeys.htm

First that I'd heard this myself, likely relevant to alot of scenarios I stumble across.

>Very interesting. A genuine experiment ?

Observation from pretty much any large company that has a policy, process or practice that have been in place for all time - no ones knows why but it's the way things have always been done, fear to question or change the practice. Stale management.

I worked for a large corporate many years ago that was under going a 'review' to the resistance of many staff, a section was found that existed to produce a 70 page report once a month covering a number of inter-departmental teams and projects. The report was printed and bound then sent to about 150 managers and department heads, this had been carried out for about 7 years. The review team first asked if the report could be sent by email to save printing costs, so a review was made of all the people on the circulation list, you will have guessed by now - no one read the report about half the people dumped it into the newly installed paper recycling bins the rest put it straight in the trash. The monkeys story is about questioning why, from what I have seen of some religious events here, few know why, when, who, what etc. Although this is not too different to some Westerner's understanding of 'their' religion.

Nothing to do with the red or green Fanta, but I'll relate something that happened to me years ago in BKK regarding a spirit house.

I was staying at the Mermaid's Rest (not there anymore) on Suk Soi 8. Across Suk was the Ambassador Hotel which had an open air food court on the ground floor and a mini-zoo by the parking area. At the entrance of parking area was a nice looking spirit house. I was looking at it with a Thai friend and asked him why there were plates of food in the spirit house. He explained that it was to be respectful to the spirit(s). We went over to the food court to eat.

On the way back I noticed the food in the spirit house was gone, just an empty plate. I pointed it out and my friend gave a proud smile and explained that the spirit(s) ate it, proof that a spirit or spirits lived there. Needless to say I was a bit skeptical. The next day I went to the food court and noticed again a fresh plate of food in the spirit house. However, on my way back I also noticed a number of birds hungrily gobbling up the cooked rice and cleaned it out in no time at all. Evidently they chose to ignore the glass of whiskey that was also set out there.

Well I just took the infamous Thai culture course and what we were told is that the color green, and certain shades of blues are only associated with funerals, so if you give someone a gift you would never wrap it in green paper. Red is the color for Sunday, but I am not sure of its other significance.

Since Thais are making an offering for their deceased relatives in the afterlife, green may be interpreted with killing them all over again thus bringing bad Karma! :o

Many thanks for the replies - I particularly liked the monkey story and reckon it is probably as good an explanation as any for the origins of the red liquid.

Incidentally, yesterday as I was passing the Hanuman statue in Jomtien, where the spirit table was demolished a week ago by a runaway bus, I noticed a lady come out of the nearby 7 Eleven with a bottle of red Fanta. She placed it in front of the statue beside 4 other bottles of red Fanta. There was also a glass of red liquid, as well as bottled water, assorted fruit, flowers and food in polystyrene boxes. It all looked a bit unkempt and unsightly - I hope somebody does something about tidying it up.

I am struggling to remember but think Sunday is also named after the Sun in Thai. As someone else mentioned, the colour for Sunday is red. The associations are Yang energy/masculine/strength/life.

Do other countries have red fanta or is it unique to Thailand. If the "red liquid" was indeed a tradition for some, a smart manufacturer might take note.

(pause to google...)

Aha !

<LI>Red Soda (This flavour is also not listed on the packaging, it is just called red soda or nam dang. The flavour is of the sala fruit.) Red Fanta has been officially endorsed by the King of Thailand as one of his preferred drinks. Consequently, glasses and open bottles of red Fanta are often seen as offerings on the small Buddhist altars displayed by every Thai home and shop.

How about that ?

I had no idea there were so many kinds of Fanta - check it out --en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_availability_of_Fanta !

Why don't you just ask the wife or gf. :o

I have neither - nor a boyfriend!

Interesting assumption that anyone with an interest in Thai matters must have a Thai wife or gf !

Yeah - that gets me annoyed too, happens all the time on here . . . . . .

Health warning time: Red food dye and drink colouring is generally artificial and made from coal tar. It is linked to ADD in children.

Be safe, only drink rain water, beer, bourbon and quality bottled wines.

Health warning time: Red food dye and drink colouring is generally artificial and made from coal tar. It is linked to ADD in children.

Be safe, only drink rain water, beer, bourbon and quality bottled wines.

Remembering why W.C. Fields did not drink water ...

The website I quoted above states that the sugar content of Fanta in SE Asia is extremely high.

It seems the Fanta folks use local fuits to flavour the drinks.

I am struggling to remember but think Sunday is also named after the Sun in Thai. As someone else mentioned, the colour for Sunday is red. The associations are Yang energy/masculine/strength/life.

Sunday วันอาทิตย์ (Sun day) (Colour: Red)

Monday วันจันทร์ (Moon day) (Colour: Yellow)

Tuesday วันอังคาร (Mars (planet) day) (Colour: Pink)

Wednesday วันพุธ (Mercury (planet) day) (Colour: Green)

Thursday วันพฤหัสบดี (Jupiter (planet) day) (Colour: Orange)

Friday วันศุกร์ (Venus (planet) day) (Colour: Blue)

Saturday วันเสาร์ (Saturn (planet) day) (Colour: Purple)

Source: Wikipedia.

Nothing to do with the red or green Fanta, but I'll relate something that happened to me years ago in BKK regarding a spirit house.

I was staying at the Mermaid's Rest (not there anymore) on Suk Soi 8. Across Suk was the Ambassador Hotel which had an open air food court on the ground floor and a mini-zoo by the parking area. At the entrance of parking area was a nice looking spirit house. I was looking at it with a Thai friend and asked him why there were plates of food in the spirit house. He explained that it was to be respectful to the spirit(s). We went over to the food court to eat.

On the way back I noticed the food in the spirit house was gone, just an empty plate. I pointed it out and my friend gave a proud smile and explained that the spirit(s) ate it, proof that a spirit or spirits lived there. Needless to say I was a bit skeptical. The next day I went to the food court and noticed again a fresh plate of food in the spirit house. However, on my way back I also noticed a number of birds hungrily gobbling up the cooked rice and cleaned it out in no time at all. Evidently they chose to ignore the glass of whiskey that was also set out there.

for some reason, they don't drink the red fanta.