Good Places To Eat In Pattaya

Crow Boy

I cant see how "steak" = "good food"

steak has got to be the last resort when looking for good food.

That is silly.

Good steak, good food.

Bad steak, bad food.

Yes, it is usually a simple cooking style. Just grill. Maybe sauce it.

Sadly, you have to pay very high prices for a decent steak in Thailand.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although a great fan of modernism in all its forms (less is more etc) I can't understand why when the world has so much to offer in the way of food, so many people - westerners especially are obsessed with eating great chunks of muscle from a cow.

I also feel that the art of cooking has more to it than just the ingredients....no matter how good, it takes a skilled person (artist even) to make them into good food.

Edited by kedawi

Although a great fan of modernism in all its forms (less is more etc) I can't understand why when theworld has so much to oofer in the way of food, so many westerners are obsessed with eating great chunks of muscle from a cow.

Please don't ever say that to an Argentinian. Or a Texan. Most people don't want a steak everyday. Sometimes many people want a steak. It doesn't lessen the value of all other foods. Repeat after me: VARIETY

I am too much of a cheapo to pay the freight for a good steak here, but doesn't mean I wouldn't love it (if it was good).

Edited by Jingthing

Hi raro,

can you be more specific in guiding us to Anton at Naklua, to Gerhard (I l o v e Spaetzle, we eat them in Switzerland, too!) and Bäcker Peter? You can also PM me but some other people in this forum might also would like to hear where those German businesses are located. Vielen Dank!

Coming from the Dolphin Circle:

Bei Gerhard: Nakluea Soi 33 on the right hand side

Bei Anton: further down th road, right hand side

Bäcker Peter: even further down, opposite TMB bank (I think near Soi 12), left hand side.

Good steak, good food.

Bad steak, bad food.

you've got it right! :o

Agreed that Anton's is a good restaurant. A couple of weeks ago I went for the friday buffet, and found it to be very good value at 199 bath. I counted 24 german/western dishes and six thai + salad bar. Very tasty!

Good, reasonably priced steaks at Patrick's inside the Central Shopping Arcade oposite Mikes Shopping. Both domestic and imported steaks.

Globetrotter is another favourite. Lasse and his staff has managed to deliver good quality food for a reasonable price for many years now. Located between soi 7 and Pattaya Klang.

Although a great fan of modernism in all its forms (less is more etc) I can't understand why when the world has so much to offer in the way of food, so many people - westerners especially are obsessed with eating great chunks of muscle from a cow.

I also feel that the art of cooking has more to it than just the ingredients....no matter how good, it takes a skilled person (artist even) to make them into good food.

I like a good steak now and then.......it goes well with my bean sprouts :o

Because you are probably eating domestic steaks, rather than imported. I don't mind a decent imported steak for under 1,000 baht. :o

went to Manhattans many times since they opened, expensive but good, went twice a month. about the time that tom, the manager left, I had two bad steak dinners in a row, the last one with several visiting friends, after bragging how good it was. we were all disappointed in the quality of the meat. it had changed for the worse. haven't been back since with no plans on going

Manhattans has gone to the dogs, I ate their about 2 weeks ago, I had a NY ribeye and the missus a small (and I mean small, it was tiny) fillet, 1 starter and no alcohol. Over 3000 baht and the quality was terrible, I thought I would have no teeth left by the time I finished my steak it was so tough.

Total tourist trap, I love a good steak but the <deleted> at this place is nowhere near a good steak.

steamed prawns bought from little old Lady's on the beach

NO WAY. Almost died of food poisoning from those. So did another friend of mine. Be VERY careful about where you eat shellfish in Thailand.

Been eating them and nearly every type of street food for ages. What most people don't know is that the bug causing the illness can lay dormant in your system for up to a week and not make you sick until your immune system is down. That's why unless you have a mass food poisoning episode of a whole table or a party its not possible to know where it came from as its not always the last thing you ate.

NO WAY. Almost died of food poisoning from those. So did another friend of mine. Be VERY careful about where you eat shellfish in Thailand.

Been eating them and nearly every type of street food for ages. What most people don't know is that the bug causing the illness can lay dormant in your system for up to a week and not make you sick until your immune system is down. That's why unless you have a mass food poisoning episode of a whole table or a party its not possible to know where it came from as its not always the last thing you ate.

Good point - many people jump to conclusions as to what caused the poisoning.

On a technicality, it isn't the "bug" that causes the poisoning, it's the toxins they release. So often the bacteria need time to colonise and multiply before they can produce any symptoms...this of course takes time.

Good point - many people jump to conclusions as to what caused the poisoning.

On a technicality, it isn't the "bug" that causes the poisoning, it's the toxins they release. So often the bacteria need time to colonise and multiply before they can produce any symptoms...this of course takes time.

My friend and I had eaten entirely different food at different places in the days leading up to the food poisoning incident. We happened to meet up that day and had prawns from a beach vendor. That night, the most god-awful stomach pains and diarrhea started--for us both. Days of misery followed. Since that time I've avoided beach shellfish and had no further problems. And I intend to keep it that way! But my friend had another similar experience before he learned his lesson. Evidently, some bacteria hasn't heard that it's supposed to stay dormant for up to a week. News can travel slowly in Thailand.

Edited by JSixpack

Its the most expensive fish and chips in jomtien/pattaya excluding the top hotels.Has anyone tried janes retaraunt on sukhumvit rd slighty south of soi chyapruk 1,140 baht for fish and chips and realy nice,with a huge fish.You cant missit,its on the right hand side so you have to do a u turn and the place has a union jack sign.

Jans Plaice or Janes Plaice - it used to be called. Now gone to the great fish & chipper in the sky, AFAIK. Unless somebody has spotted it elsewhere recently -

• 1 month later...
Agreed that Anton's is a good restaurant. A couple of weeks ago I went for the friday buffet, and found it to be very good value at 199 bath. I counted 24 german/western dishes and six thai + salad bar. Very tasty!

Good, reasonably priced steaks at Patrick's inside the Central Shopping Arcade oposite Mikes Shopping. Both domestic and imported steaks.

Globetrotter is another favourite. Lasse and his staff has managed to deliver good quality food for a reasonable price for many years now. Located between soi 7 and Pattaya Klang.

I'll 2nd Anton's.

The best days for the buffet are Fri or Sat. when they lay out a nice spread.

Amazingly heavy food that will make you want to take a nap after stuffing your face.

Nice selection of Thai deserts also.

Neeroys does some lovely Pies, I have Meat & Potato pie almost every time I go there..

Also there is a good, cheap Indian on Soi Bua Khao in between Club Blue and Sawasdee Hotel but on the opposite side. Their Chicken Tikka Masala is delicious.. 120-130 baht per curry, 40 baht for yellow rice (approx). They also deliver.

I have been in there. Their Chicken Tikka Masala is brilliant.

There is a little Italian Restaurant on Soi Lankee. Their Spaghetti Carbonara is out of this world. at only 110 baht. No food portion control here either. It is the very first restaurant on the right from leaving Soi Bukhaow.

Edited by TEFLMike

Fish and Chips at Pig and Whistle Soi 7. <300 baht. Cod is pretty good.

Shrimp fried rice with watermelon shake at KISS, second road. For 80 baht the best in town. Four or five real shrimp on top of the rice that has onion, garlic, tomato in it. dam_n fine quickie.

Full english breakfast at the Pig and Whistle. Similar to other places in town, but pretty good.

"chicken" pita sandwich from street vendors. Late night soi 8 or others. Lettuce, tomato, onion, cukes, and sauce of your choice for 60 baht. eat on the hoof.

Most German dishes at Breauhaus on second road between soi 7 and soi 8. Some have told me Domocile is better and a bit cheaper next door. I have not been dissapointed in 4 years. 300 baht for a dinner with a fine vinegarrette salad. Ask for a side of bread.

Never had really great seafood except on Ko Samet at the Malibu resort we stayed on and the night time beach barbecue put on by the hotel.. I am from Rhode Island originally and am used to grabbing lobster fresh off the boat. Haven't found a great place in P attaya yet. Been to a few places down off walking street and I like the outdoor setting out on the water. The food has been OK, but nothing to rave at.

Late night noodle in cups from 7/11 or the other convenince stores. like 20 baht and it is a big cup. They have hot water there in the store. Grab a gatorade and on those easy nights where you just want to get some sleep, they are a good snack before bed.

Pork kabob from most of the street vendors. Come on now. For 10 baht each, two of those is a hel_l of a great snack. Find an ear of corn on the cob and voila! maybe grab some Kao Ghee also, that sweet rice cake.

So many of the Thai restaurrants are good. Too many to name. I thought Ruen Thai on second road was pretty good. And being semi outdoor it is pleasant. The Thai dancers and music is different and a good tourist stop. Very reasonably priced considering the entertainment and decent food and nice atmosphere.

Fresh fruit all over. Avoid Mike's market outside. too pricey. Any push cart with a block of ice. get the dragon fruit. Get some fresh Jack fruit up off Central road, just past Second road on the North side.

Rib and chicken combo at Tequila Reef on soi 7. Ribs are probably better than New Orleans over by soi 14 or thereabouts. Tequila has pretty good home made salsa. The half chicken is a real chicken. Not chicken parts of pressed chicken breast. Veggies have been terrible each time though. The little ear of corn is usually the worst. Get whatever the other choice is.

not sure of the name but the German restaurant on walking street accross from the big buddha tree always had great food when i went there.....

great steak homeade saueges assortment of potato dishes....all was good....imho not to pricey either...

then i also went to the roo bar on walking street and the thai and farang food there was always delecious i found i was getting there pork chop dinner at least 3 time a week...exellant value....and fills you right up too...

give them both a try....

i wholeheartedly recommend Chesters on the darkside, the menu is a bit limited and it does not take long to go through the whole card but the breakfast is excellent.

the sausages are the closest ever to the traditional british banger and the eggs are done just right, certainly the best breakfact i have had in 8 years in Thailand

their fish and chips have been applauded by other posters and i concur with their comments

well worth a visit.

Welcome Inn for Greek.

And for french!!

Western food:

Greg's Cafe on second road near the Bangkok Bank.

The swiss restaurant on Soi Daimond where it narrows down to a lane.

The carvery on Saturday and Sundays at Shenanigans.

Thai Food:

The Queen Vic on Soi six.

Seafood:

That outdoor place down past the blues factory.

Welcome Inn for Greek.

And for french!!

Western food:

Greg's Cafe on second road near the Bangkok Bank.

The swiss restaurant on Soi Daimond where it narrows down to a lane.

The carvery on Saturday and Sundays at Shenanigans.

Thai Food:

The Queen Vic on Soi six.

Seafood:

That outdoor place down past the blues factory.

I had a great Thanksgiving buffet at Shenanigans. I also ate at Tequila Reef that day. Shenanigans was better with more variety.

Surprised nobody's mentioned La O'livers in Jomtien Complex. one of my favorite, and excellent value

I only tried their buffet once and was greatly disapointed. The pate was not

real pate - you could tell just by looking at it.

The rest of the stuff was just so-so.

If you are going to do a buffet at a cheap price you shoudn't try to hoodwink the customers.

On a positive note you could try the newest

restaurant in Jomtien complex run by an older Brit...

Really good with specials of

275-350 baht for three courses(take THAT Manhatten's)

I forget the name but it is besides the orange tree and across from the mini mart by the south entrance

Edited by BugJackBaron

I am a BIG seafood lover, one of the best experiences that Pattaya/Jomtien has to offer.

Best ones that I found are actually in Bang Saray, about a 7 minutes drive down Sukhumvit (direction Sattahip). They are a notch above what you find in Najomtien ...

The most popular one there is called "Teacha" (the only English word on their elaborate sign ...). There is a smaller but even better one about 100m down the same road (also on the right), however it does not have an English language sign ... Teacha is a good place to start though and work your way from there ...

Any other "hidden" gems with fantastic seafood ?

Edited by KhunTao

I am a BIG seafood lover, one of the best experiences that Pattaya/Jomtien has to offer.

Best ones that I found are actually in Bang Saray, about a 7 minutes drive down Sukhumvit (direction Sattahip). They are a notch above what you find in Najomtien ...

The most popular one there is called "Teacha" (the only English word on their elaborate sign ...). There is a smaller but even better one about 100m down the same road (also on the right), however it does not have an English language sign ... Teacha is a good place to start though and work your way from there ...

Any other "hidden" gems with fantastic seafood ?

I think you are referring to the seafood restaurants in Ban Amphur (not Bang Saray) - the largest, and most popular being "preecha". There are at least 5 similar restaurants along the seafront in Ban Amphur.

Directions: Take the Sukhumvit towards Sattahip. Turn right at the next set of traffic lights after the Ambassador City Hotel (about 2-3 KM). This road will take you past several seafood restaurants (all on the right-hand-side).

IMHO the "preecha" is about the best. However, it gets really busy on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

If you want to take a drive into Bang Saray, stay on the Sukhumvit for another 7-8 Km (past Nong Nooch). Take the right turn signposted for the beach and follow your nose. There are several restaurants along the beach road.

We have also had great seafood at Moom Arroy in Naklua.