Thappraya Road

tobyarnott

A few weeks ago in Pattaya Mail, I saw a letter from a correspondent congratulating the new mayor for getting work on this road underway again. I, too, had noticed the resumption of work and was similarly pleased to see that things were moving.

However, since then, work seems to be slowly grinding to a halt again.

For those who are unfamiliar with the project it involves the widening of a 2 kilometre stretch. The work will soon be entering its third year. To date, only basic preparatory work, mainly in the first couple of hundred meters, has been done and currently only a handful of what appear to be unskilled workers are on site.

Much of the remaining road surface is appalling. Dust from loose filling is a constant environmental menace and water leaks and corrosion along the route have been ignored for the last year.

We see references to Pattaya becoming a premier resort but what we are witnessing on Thappraya Road is Third World inefficiency and incompetence.

By tolerating this situation, the authorities are treating their citizens and visitors with contempt and it is time they realised how their pitiful performance is seen by the people they wish to attract to their city.

They've completed the ashpalting of the South section DOWN the hill towards Jomtien. But it only took them 2 days to do that after 10 months of no action.

I think the problem with the North side UP the hill is shops refusing to give up the bit of land in front of their building, most notably Manhattan's and Nirvana.

Yes,I suppose,in trying to remain positive it could be confidently be said that the unfinished part on the "ascent" will

"eventually" be finished but when... is anyone's guess.When it is at last completed the problems don't necessarily disappear

especially when the "completed descent" part of the road is held up as an example of the finished product.Almost immediately

after the descent was finished the inevitable potholes began to appear,they were patched-up of course but re-appear both in

the same places an elsewhere and re-patched again...........this comical road-dance continues and won't stop anytime soon I

fear to say.

The Sukhumvit Road which was also resurfaced has had similar problems(especially around the Chaiyapreuk Road/Kanyong area)

which I'm sure we're all aware of.Some areas,unbelievably, have had the same potholed monstrosities repatched 5-6 times and to this

day (in fact last night when I was driving) the holes are back with a vengeance.Numerous excuses were given as to how this has

happened which I'm too lazy to go in to.Needless to say,expect the same 5-star treatment for Thappraya.I would love very much

if a sterling job was done on Thappraya and that mould of sub-standard work was broken....but whilst this may be a possibility,

I'm certainly not holding my breath :o

The sukhumvit road widening has got to be the biggest balls up of all time.How the thais can hold their heads up is beyhond me.They widen the road to 4 lanes then you cant use 2 because of the potholes,typical thai thinking.

I CALL IT DISGUSTING AND HEADS SHOULD ROLL,TOTAL INCOMPETENCE

A few weeks ago in Pattaya Mail, I saw a letter from a correspondent congratulating the new mayor for getting work on this road underway again. I, too, had noticed the resumption of work and was similarly pleased to see that things were moving.

However, since then, work seems to be slowly grinding to a halt again.

I guess the money reserved to finalizing the Thappraya Road was "redirected" to cut down the trees of the Beach Road....

>>The work will soon be entering its third year

Actually its already well in its third year. I was living at Residence Garden hotel back when they started digging.

(great hotel by the way, just too bad about them breaking up the road and not repairing it ever)

I was told by a Thai friend who appears to have his finger on the pulse that there are only 5 contractors qualified to tender for roadworks within the boundaries of Pattaya City. All are controlled by the present Mayor of Pattaya's father, a convicted fraudster and murderer now living temporarily abroad. I do not know if this is true or not.

Maybe evil spirits are at work as they were in the laying out of the runways and taxiways of Cobra Swamp, if we are to believe the Transport Minister at the time. :o

They've completed the ashpalting of the South section DOWN the hill towards Jomtien. But it only took them 2 days to do that after 10 months of no action.

I think the problem with the North side UP the hill is shops refusing to give up the bit of land in front of their building, most notably Manhattan's and Nirvana.

Yeah sure, Manhattan and Nirvana just opened their doors maybe 1 or 2 months before they started the road reconstructions. It's not just giving up a small piece of land, it's giving up the fact, that the 'new' road will pass on just a few meters/yards.

Other buildings buildings along the stretch have to give up their entrances and as far as I can judge, customers have to climb a ladder to visit the venues. Please don't blame the people who are reluctant to give up some stretch of road, but blame the <deleted> who failed to inform the venue-owners of the city-plans.

Yeah sure, Manhattan and Nirvana just opened their doors maybe 1 or 2 months before they started the road reconstructions. It's not just giving up a small piece of land, it's giving up the fact, that the 'new' road will pass on just a few meters/yards.

Other buildings buildings along the stretch have to give up their entrances and as far as I can judge, customers have to climb a ladder to visit the venues. Please don't blame the people who are reluctant to give up some stretch of road, but blame the <deleted> who failed to inform the venue-owners of the city-plans.

not to mention all their parking

I was told by a Thai friend who appears to have his finger on the pulse that there are only 5 contractors qualified to tender for roadworks within the boundaries of Pattaya City. All are controlled by the present Mayor of Pattaya's father, a convicted fraudster and murderer now living temporarily abroad. I do not know if this is true or not.

Maybe evil spirits are at work as they were in the laying out of the runways and taxiways of Cobra Swamp, if we are to believe the Transport Minister at the time. :D

The only part of that statement that is untrue is that he is not just temporarily living abroad - he is in hiding permanently. As you say he is a convicted murderer and how he was granted bail while awaiting sentencing was pretty remarkable (not really - it was an open secret he was going flee - a la Thaksin).

I guess you could say that the Pattaya residents got the Mayor they deserved - they all knew who he was and who his father was, but they still voted for him. Mind you, the voting turn out was tiny - so on a second count they got what they deserved.

But we poor farang 'guests' have to suffer as well :o

The same problem has arisen with the bi pass they are building which crosses the 3240 and joins up with the flyover they are building on Sukhumvit in North Pattaya.

There is a finished highway north of the 3240, the flyover on the 3240 is 75% completed, but there is no sign of any work whatsoever on the South side of the 3240 which will link up with Sukhumvit.

The reason? Land owners with 'influenece' have refused to budge. It may take years to get this resolved but in the meantime they jump right in and build partially complete roads and flyovers that go nowhere.

TIT :o

I guess you could say that the Pattaya residents got the Mayor they deserved - they all knew who he was and who his father was, but they still voted for him. Mind you, the voting turn out was tiny - so on a second count they got what they deserved.

But we poor farang 'guests' have to suffer as well :o

Actually, if I recall correctly, voter turn-out was something like 50% of those registered and eligible to vote, and the Mayor won over 50% of that vote (which still only came to what, 17,000 votes ?).

As a matter of interest, assuming that the widening of Thappraya were complete, improbable as that scenario might be, are there any plans for dealing with the existing bottleneck from the underpass to the Pattaya Tai junction?

There wouldn't seem to be much logic in trying to improve the traffic flow into Pattaya along Thappraya if it is simply going to grind to a halt in the ever-present melee of taxis, buses and motorbikes along that stretch past the Camelot and VC Hotels.

I believe the plan (is there one, really?) is to funnel the Pattaya-bound traffic on to Third Road at that junction. Not sure how that traffic would eventually find its way to Second Road (add to congestion on Pattaya Tai?).

I felt sorry for the guy who opened the Harley showroom, with its nice glass-sided display area jutting out from the building full of gleaming hogs. I don't think that had been open more than a few months when they told him that the road would be passing through his nice display area, and he had to give it up. I suppose he must have done so without much of a fight, but the showroom is a shadow of its former self.

The only part of that statement that is untrue is that he is not just temporarily living abroad - he is in hiding permanently. As you say he is a convicted murderer and how he was granted bail while awaiting sentencing was pretty remarkable (not really - it was an open secret he was going flee - a la Thaksin).

I used the word temporarily in the expectation that at some future date it will be discovered that an 'honest mistake' has been made and Kamnam Pho is completely innocent - and that all allegations against him are politically motivated.

I used the word temporarily in the expectation that at some future date it will be discovered that an 'honest mistake' has been made and Kamnam Pho is completely innocent - and that all allegations against him are politically motivated.

There are those who say that he is still here - ably protected by his criminal cohorts, both in and out of uniform :D

Actually the difference between Kamman Po and Taxin is that the Po has already exhausted all his legal appeals (which went on for years) and it was at this stage that he decided to disappear. Even in Thailand I doubt that his crimes can now be expunged.

Thaksin hasn't even been tried yet - let alone gone through all the appeal processes.

We seem to have drifted......

Back to Thappraya Road...... :o

If Kamman Po was being pursued by the BIB along Thappaya Road, on foot, broken bones would be involved!

Amazing Thailand indeed, it always surprises me how little the locals complain, many businesses along this road must have been ruined or at the very least seen there trade reduced substancialy, guess they know there is no point complaining?

If Kamman Po was being pursued by the BIB along Thappaya Road, on foot, broken bones would be involved!

Amazing Thailand indeed, it always surprises me how little the locals complain, many businesses along this road must have been ruined or at the very least seen there trade reduced substancialy, guess they know there is no point complaining?

Yeah a friend of mine (UK) had a small restaurant up there, and one day they turned up and started digging up his front terrace/ seating area. No warning or explanation was given. He lost about 7-8 metres of tiled, raised seating area, and the whole place was in such a mess he was forced to close.

This was over 1 year ago, and he has still not reopened, the unit is now on the market a a vastly lesser cost than he paid for it - no compensation was forthcoming.

He seems to think that Thai business owners where compensated for loss of land/ trade, but as a farang you might as well just walk away and chalk it up to experience.

Yeah a friend of mine (UK) had a small restaurant up there, and one day they turned up and started digging up his front terrace/ seating area. No warning or explanation was given. He lost about 7-8 metres of tiled, raised seating area, and the whole place was in such a mess he was forced to close.

This was over 1 year ago, and he has still not reopened, the unit is now on the market a a vastly lesser cost than he paid for it - no compensation was forthcoming.

He seems to think that Thai business owners where compensated for loss of land/ trade, but as a farang you might as well just walk away and chalk it up to experience.

Maybe they should just drive a dirty great JCB through Manhattan's front window and that would be the end of the argument?

As everyone knows Farangs cannot own businesses here, they must be at least 51% Thai owned.

As everyone knows Farangs cannot own businesses here, they must be at least 51% Thai owned.

Tosser.

Of course it was owned through a Ltd Co, do we really need your help?

Tosser.

Oh so it was one of those illegal companies then? Like the ones where 'Farangs own land"

Tosser.

Oh so it was one of those illegal companies then? Like the ones where 'Farangs own land"

Companies owning land are deemed illegal as they are non-trading, or shell companies, which have been set up purely to circumvent the land ownership laws.

A trading company is perfectly legal if you have the share ownership set up correctly, and are paying tax on the company profits.

Edited by Crow Boy
personal attacks removed

Companies owning land are deemed illegal as they are non-trading, or shell companies, which have been set up purely to circumvent the land ownership laws.

A trading company is perfectly legal if you have the share ownership set up correctly, and are paying tax on the company profits.

Then if it's a legitimate business he should see a lawyer about seeking compensation.

But more likely he's just extended his business frontage onto municipality land and hasn't got anything to complain about.