Where Can I Meet Americans?

BrooklynKid

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really know where to meet Americans. Rarely meet any at the bars and clubs I go to. There are probably American sports clubs, but I'm not really interested in those so I don't know about them. The only place I usually see Americans is at Sunrise Taco. :o

Like the post saids. I moved here not too long ago, I would like to meet decent Americans, I am not too much into drinking. Not into bar girls or going out all the time.My work schedule is long so I dont have too much free time.

Where do you hang out besides the clubs and bars? What do you do?You play sports? is there a American Football league? maybe a softball league? Basketball league?

I just want to know the general answers to where Americans hang out.

thanks

BK

Softball?  Check out this league, and the international tourney coming up in November:

http://www.bangkoksoftball.info/

Mac

Well Thank you ,to you who answered me with good intentions, and the rest of you need to get a life and stop Hating on others Because they have a life. Life is short, dont spend it with hatred in your heart.

"you never know when the next time you will be in a desert,out of water,and an American may come by, but because of your actions the only thing you will get, is powder milk." Translate that....

BK

Well Thank you ,to you who answered me with good intentions, and the rest of you need to get a life and stop Hating on others Because they have a life. Life is short, dont spend it with hatred in your heart.

"you never know when the next time you will be in a desert,out of water,and an American may come by, but because of your actions the only thing you will get, is powder milk." Translate that....

BK

Well that was a real smart one.....sigh.

I have been searching for friendly Farangs in Thailand for over 20 years and if you find any, please let me know.

It is difficult for me, a person of love and whose life ambition is only to extend kindness to all, to associate with other Farangs here who are are just MEAN & NASTY.

BK

Actually, our country has a long history of helping those who don't even like us (like disaster relief) so the US Taxpayer would probably take care of the guy. Being a patriotic American myself I hope this next question isn't taken as American bashing but - Why would anyone take powdered milk to desert? :o

Back to the op - I hang out mostly with non-Americans and highly recommend it. PM me for reasons. :D

I'm sure this will generate some new and course response but here goes anyway.

The OP can visit any American VFW post here in Thailand and he will be more than welcome. Does not need to be a member and will most likely be asked if he would like to join if he qualifies but either way he will be welcome and most likely meet some good new friends.

And for those of you that are going to start slamming VETS (of any Nation) they are not war mongers. Just normal citizens of their country that felt a need to serve their country and now only want to have a happy life here in LOS.

I followed this thread yesterday and was stunned at the nature and volume of abusive posts - this morning I see that Moderators have cleaned up the thread and allowed it to remain active.

I for one am fully supportive of the Mods approach and commend them for sound judgment in this case and for the extra effort they put in. Far too often the alternative approach is to throw out the baby with the bathwater by simply closing the thread and this is an approach that is adopted far too often - well done.

I have been searching for friendly Farangs in Thailand for over 20 years and if you find any, please let me know.

It is difficult for me, a person of love and whose life ambition is only to extend kindness to all, to associate with other Farangs here who are are just MEAN & NASTY.

This is very true and reading some comments from posters on here we just know we wouldnt want them for friends, unlike dustoff and britmaveric,and i dont care where they come from,. :o Edited by imaneggspurt

I can see why......

i (who am American) never met many Americans in other parts of Thailand but in BKK it seems like all i meet are Americans. try places like Q bar/Bed/Gazebo... or come to the Bangkok meet up on the 29th!

I can see why......

I wouldnt worry about it if i were you, a lot of the comments on here are said as a joke or sarcasm,Its a shame isnt it that it takes a disaster or similar to see the real side some people as in those situations people of all nationalities seem to come together as one naturally, just go look at the post of the couple in chiang mai whose daughter was shot,.all replies are positive and heartwarming,.i think you will get the jist of it as you go along, good luck,.

I can see why......

I wouldnt worry about it if i were you, a lot of the comments on here are said as a joke or sarcasm,Its a shame isnt it that it takes a disaster or similar to see the real side some people as in those situations people of all nationalities seem to come together as one naturally, just go look at the post of the couple in chiang mai whose daughter was shot,.all replies are positive and heartwarming,.i think you will get the jist of it as you go along, good luck,.

Thanks, and yes, it takes disasters and so one to bring people together. I was there for 911 and I didnt see any hate from people. Except when we went to war.

The op asked for some of the abuse.If i came on here and said where will i find some nice englsih guys i would have had the same.There is nothing wrong with a nice american,maybe thats why the op stated he only wanted nice ones and not horrible ones,he said it not me.

Not that I'm American....I'm Scottish... and that is a whole other ball game... but I do know in Pattaya the ex servicemen/women of American meet every 1st Tuesday of the month. There may be a similiar arrangement for BKK?

I do know a couple of Americans living in the Korat area. And a few in Pattaya...the rest are in USA :o

WOW... I go away from home for one week and return to find I've missed something here... So Donna and Boo axed 35 nasty posts about Americans...and I never got a chance first to read ANY of them???? Dang!!!!

To the OP... I'm an American living here in BKK.... and I also don't know a very good answer to your question, and it's certainly not a question that deserves any snotty/insulting replies. Likewise, I'm not especially into heavy drinking or bar girls... In my first year living here, I pretty much went out of my way to NOT look for making connections with other farangs (American or otherwise) (except for online here at TV) because I wanted/want to get used to living in my new home/country/environment.

I've heard it said that Americans tend to hang out around Washington Square area bars and restaurants... Bourbon Street, Larry's Dive, etc etc..., which are not really so much serious bar girl territory. (Sukhumvit Road near Soi 22). Tokyo Joe's Dive blues music club on Suk Soi 26 is another possibility. I did meet some Americans this past year when I went to Bourbon Street EARLY one morning to watch the Super Bowl on TV....since I wasn't going to get it on True/UBC at home. And yes, I do find other Americans at times at the Sunrise Tacos branch on Suk Rd near Soi 12.

There are a few times generally when I find I miss some American interaction/understanding...such as Super Bowl/NFL season time or now that the U.S. is playing basketball in the Olympics... Because, of course, other folks really aren't into U.S. football or basketball.... Just as I'm not into soccer....

But in general, my preference here is to hang with Thai friends and go to Thai places, listen to Thai music, etc etc... I lived in the U.S. all of my adult life before moving here, so the things I find interesting are the new and different things one can experience living in a place like Thailand/BKK...

And...to the posters that I missed because your rants got deleted... GIVE IT A BREAK..... I'm not sure exactly how to respond, since I didn't see your original posts. But taking a guess here, Americans aren't George Bush and his war on terror. In fact, 2/3rd to 3/4th of Americans at present think he's doing a crappy job... for whatever public opinion polls are worth.

I'm also no super patriot about America... nor do I have rose-colored glasses about our many faults as a nation. But, in general, I think most Americans (and especially those living abroad) are pretty down to earth... lacking in attitudes and nationalistic pretensions, probably more so than folks from some other countries... But, as surely is the case, when you're big and powerful as a nation (absolutely not boasting here, it's just the simple truth in the world), everyone else likes to try and take their shots.... So, for a change, how about giving a try at NOT insulting other people's nationalities????

Wow, who would have thought such an innocent OP could stir such venom.

I would have predicted it.

Oh, me too. Soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Well, an open invitation to an anti-American troll convention; pile on!"

As this thread has shown, a reason for the OP to meet and hang out with other Americans is to spare himself all the cheap, ignorant, or uninformed political, economic, and social commentaries from other nationalities, though many Americans are themselves perversely anti-American. Some of those nationalities, to be sure, are worse about this than others. On the other hand, one might also sometimes encounter the most wonderful enlightened, intelligent, urbane, and witty individual from, say, Britain, with the Oxbridge degree requisite for speaking an understandable form of English--but such are so lamentably rare in Thailand as not to be worth the search to locate. In fact, it could be dangerous, as in the case a few years ago when a friendly American made the mistake of asking some drunk Brits in Chiang Mai, watching an intense game of footy on the tellie in a beer bar, whether they also liked American football. For that, he was beaten up. Too bad he was so outnumbered and had not a single cruise missile on him.

Anyway, OP, if you're in Pattaya, visit the TQ1 go-go on Beach Road near Soi 13. Very American; the regulars from other countries are friendly as well.

Edited by JSixpack

Woodstock Bar & Grill

American menu, American nostalgia from 1960's-70's, American sports on wide-screen TV, and good service. Mostly Westerners and many Americans congregate there. Ate there myself a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. Google it for the menu and hours.

Directions:

Bangkok, Thong Lor area. Turn north from Sukhumvit onto Thong Lor St. Go about 1 to 1.5 km. up Thong Lor to Soi 13 on the left. About 1/2 km. down the soi on the left. You can take a taxi for about 35 baht from the BTS Thong Lor station.

Edited by toptuan

I did ask a legit question.The replies were kinda disrespectful. I am in BKK, I dont mind getting to know other people who are not American.Just so happens that Americans tend to bond with Americans rather than,lets say the English.Due to the replies, I am kinda understanding a so called Papirico, why he gets so mad.Am i wrong to think that?.....Let start over, where can you meet nice people in bkk, Americans to South Africans,that are here for good healthy fun, and no BS with bars or bar girls.

You say that "Americans tend to bond with Americans rather than, lets say the English".

As a Brit may I say that I heartily disagree with so wild a generalisation. Having lived on several continents over many years I find that Americans have made up the largest contingent of my close friends.

I am critical of Anglo-American foreign policy but my British and American friends take no offense and accept that I can still love my country and theirs.

People take individuals as they come no matter their nationality. Disliking American foreign policy does not mean you dislike America or Americans.

Finally, I accept that there's nothing wrong when abroad to seek out the company of people most like yourself. It's easy and comfortable and only human nature.

So long as you do not draw the wagons around you.

Like the post saids. I moved here not too long ago, I would like to meet decent Americans, I am not too much into drinking. Not into bar girls or going out all the time.My work schedule is long so I dont have too much free time.

Where do you hang out besides the clubs and bars? What do you do?You play sports? is there a American Football league? maybe a softball league? Basketball league?

I just want to know the general answers to where Americans hang out.

thanks

BK

I am an American, also not into the bar scene and have a pretty heavy work schedule. Don't know where other Americans "hang out", but I am usually at the Mall Bangkapi on weekends to catch a flick or grab a bite to eat.

Feel free to PM me if your ever in that neiborhood.

I have been in the country for nearly 20 years and used to work for the US Embassy. I still don't know where Americans hang out. It seemed to change and people tended to be drawn together more by their interests than their nationalities. There were the single guys and they seemed to enjoy Patpong. There were the single women, and they seemed to end up on anti-depressants and returning home. There were the married couples American-American who hung out together, then the couples American-Asian and they hung out together etc. etc. But geographically, locations seemed to change.

As for the bashers and those suggesting that it's somehow 'wrong' to hang out with your own, they need to take a rest. I have only 1 American friend and he comes and goes. I always enjoy getting together with him to find out what's happening in politics, the economy and other things. It's nice to know what's changed, what stays the same etc. etc. You can get it from the television, but it's sanitized and recast for public consumption.

One of the problems with several nationalities--as you have seen--is that you can't have a civil conversation with them about anything of substance, and certainly not about politics!

Wow, who would have thought such an innocent OP could stir such venom.

i did the moment i saw the question.

had the op read a few posts before posting his own question he would not have left himself so open.

either way who really cares?

BK

and i thought you were posting to find a life. to tell the truth, i find i rarely consider nationality when meeting someone anymore . thinking through my freinds in Bkk and thailand is like a roll call at the un.

I did ask a legit question. The replies were kinda disrespectful. I am in BKK, I dont mind getting to know other people who are not American.Just so happens that Americans tend to bond with Americans rather than,lets say the English.Due to the replies, I am kinda understanding a so called Papirico, why he gets so mad.Am i wrong to think that?.....Let start over, where can you meet nice people in bkk, Americans to South Africans,that are here for good healthy fun, and no BS with bars or bar girls.

Yeah, welcome to TV. You'll quickly learn that there's a core of members here who seem to just sit around all day waiting to jump on people's posts with nasty insulting comments. That's why I don't really take the chance very often of posting anything. It can downright painful. (I read posts here for years before bothering to sign up.)

However, there are also other members who are quite reasonable and share their knowledge of Thailand in a friendly and helpful way. Try to ignore the nasty ones, although I know it's hard not to take snide comments personally.

But, to answer your original question. Check with the expat clubs. They can probably help you out with some good info. There are two expat clubs in Pattaya with their own websites and regular weekly meetings.

Edited by Beacher