Just Immigration Questions

Greenside

"really beyond all reason" is correct. So, that means that there are a lot of people here who are beyond all reason, at least part of the time. And they messing things up for the others and/or the Thais.

Is this a new problem, the last 5 years or so, or is it an older problem that has recently become more apparent because the total numbers of farangs here has increased by a lot?

Either way they are like deficating in the pool that we all swim in.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone should be asking what and who is behind setting up this 450 baht meeting. The lunch as described would not cost 450 baht. The question is what is this hotel charging and who gets the rest of the money. This is Thailand so we know where some money will go.

Posts have already shown the regulations are on line and members experiences have been well documented. Dealing with immigration directly and politely is the answer.

If you read the fine print, the document that can be downloaded is an English translation of the regulations, by a helpful TV member, hopefully it is an accurate one. I am not aware that he was hired by Thai Immigration to provide an official translation.

Member requirements and experiences vary greatly. From what I have read, how I plan to get my 1st extension appears to be doable but I have yet to read a member sharing similar experiences.

The translation was probably not by Immigration but that is not the point I am making

Going to Immigration or using the internet to get the facts is the way to go. Paying 450 baht won't get you any further than eating a lunch which I suspect is not being charged t 450 baht in the first place. TIT

How do you know that if you are not going to attend this meeting.It will be of some benefit to be able to here the superintendant and put some points across that you would not be able to get from the internet or from some of the counter staff at the immigration office.it beats me as to why people always want to think someone is making out of it.So what we are talking about 450 bahts here it really is a fortune to us aliens .

So, to the cost of this immigration lunch. 450bht is probably more than most of us pay for lunch in normal circumstances, but for the above figure attendees will get tea and coffee on arrival, they will get to hear what the superintendent and his staff have to say and they will get the opportunity to show they support for what the immigration department are doing here in Chiang Mai.

Does this mean the superintendant and his staff are receiving an emolument ? Or just a "free lunch" :o ?

Thai Bank account.

That is what I don't understand.

I have been told from different sources that yes,a bank book ( copies ) are required.

I have my extension in January 09 and had planned on only going the pension route. I make more than enough to qualify for the 65k monthly.

Do they require money in a Thai bank? or can I just use my monthly govt pension?

So confusing or is it just becuse I'm just a confused person...

Hi John, we are all confused that is why we love the Thais. They keep us thinking! At least once a year we must get our act together : -) We need that, otherwise we will fall into a rapture with all that we love and enjoy here. The bank thing is not a requirement, but it helps if you are long stay. I feel

they want to see that we can support ourselves for

a length of time. Sawadee Kup :o

If you read the fine print, the document that can be downloaded is an English translation of the regulations, by a helpful TV member, hopefully it is an accurate one. I am not aware that he was hired by Thai Immigration to provide an official translation.

Doing some further research, I did discover that the English translation was definitely taken off the Thai Immigration website.

This is the actual link. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

Dear CEC Members,

I thought I would write a short message with regards to the immigration meeting being held on the 10th September. I for one will certainly be attending as not only do I want to hear what the immigration superintendent and his staff have to say but more importantly, I want to show the immigration authorities that I am interested in meeting them and listening to what they have to say. We are all guests here in Thailand and I think very privileged to be able to live in such a great country, so we should show our support to the one department that basically makes that possible.

My staff have been helping out down at immigration for the last 18 months and although this obviously had a cost to it, I felt that the goodwill generated for CEC members (and other expats too) by this was well worth it.

So, to the cost of this immigration lunch. 450bht is probably more than most of us pay for lunch in normal circumstances, but for the above figure attendees will get tea and coffee on arrival, they will get to hear what the superintendent and his staff have to say and they will get the opportunity to show they support for what the immigration department are doing here in Chiang Mai. In addition they will then get a superb buffet lunch in 5 star surroundings, which having just experienced this at the rooftop fashion show, I can tell you it is fantastic. On offer will be salad and sushi bar, pizza and pasta, main meal station which includes all meats and fish as well as an extensive range of sweets.

Certain people have made comments about this being a profit making event. I can assure you that no profit will be made from this event whatsoever and the only reason it is more expensive than the coming Expat Club Birthday Brunch is that CEC are subsidising the Birthday Brunch tickets.

Please, if you are available on the 10th, support this event.

Regards,

Alan Hall (President CEC)

WHY IS CEC PRESIDENT SENDING THIS TO CEC MEMBERS? IT IS NOT EVEN CEC EVENT BUT CHIANG MAI FRIENDS GROUP. OR AS I WRITE EARLIER (WHICH WAS REMOVE) IS IT THAT THEY ARE SAME PEOPLE RUNNING BOTH GROUP? TWO PEOPLE IN RELATIONSHIP RUNIING TWO GROUP WITH SAME AUDIENCE.

WHY WHY WHY? AND EXPLAIN COST IN HONEST WAY I CHECK WITH SHANGLILA AND THEY CONFIRM BUFFET IS 169BATH EVERY DAY,

PLEASE NOT REMOVE THIS POST IT IS SERIOUS QUESTION

O,O

So, to the cost of this immigration lunch. 450bht is probably more than most of us pay for lunch in normal circumstances, but for the above figure attendees will get tea and coffee on arrival, they will get to hear what the superintendent and his staff have to say and they will get the opportunity to show they support for what the immigration department are doing here in Chiang Mai.

Does this mean the superintendant and his staff are receiving an emolument ? Or just a "free lunch" :o ?

"emolument" is a new name for it, to be sure

The lunch can't be 450 baht can it?, The hotel has a price list

In thailand money from farangs circulates by way of commissions etc

A meeting would not have to cost that much.

Most people will go to immigration and deal politely with them and everything paperwise completed ok. They are quite happy to help and not part of a gravy train

WHY IS CEC PRESIDENT SENDING THIS TO CEC MEMBERS? IT IS NOT EVEN CEC EVENT BUT CHIANG MAI FRIENDS GROUP. OR AS I WRITE EARLIER (WHICH WAS REMOVE) IS IT THAT THEY ARE SAME PEOPLE RUNNING BOTH GROUP? TWO PEOPLE IN RELATIONSHIP RUNIING TWO GROUP WITH SAME AUDIENCE.

WHY WHY WHY? AND EXPLAIN COST IN HONEST WAY I CHECK WITH SHANGLILA AND THEY CONFIRM BUFFET IS 169BATH EVERY DAY,

O,O

Try releasing the Caps Lock and after that ........get a life.

Edited by KevinHUNT

O,O

Try releasing the Caps Lock and after that ........get a life. :D

Weather update - the sun is shining. Or didn't you notice? :o

Edited by KevinHUNT

With all due respect to pwp and OLEODIN, does any of this really matter? If there are links and commonality between Chiang Mai Friends Group and CEC........ hardly surprising and so what? If the 450 baht asking price is more than the per head charges being paid by the organisers to the hotel or for other fees/expenses......... again - so what?

We're all grown-ups here and should be capable of deciding whether we think it's worth the money for what it could be expected to provide each of us. For me, I think it's not - but as they like to say in LOS: "up to you". I would have a problem if CEC/Chiang Mai Friends Group were setting out to suggest that I needed their services (and to pay for them) in order to comply with the visa requirements. Between research on here, consulting the Immigration website and once or twice double-checking or clarifying in person with CM Immigration on particular points - I've been able to maintain a smooth and stress-free experience of the visa processes. Given that someone mentioned seeing a fee of 5,000 baht paid to a lawyer for 90-day address reporting ( :o ), perhaps others want more of a helping hand...........

I do see some mileage (as per the CEC President's message) in letting Immigration know that I appreciate the help they give me, but I personally don't feel the need to do it at the Shangri La - I already do it every time I have contact with the officers at CM Immigration itself.

With all due respect to pwp and OLEODIN, does any of this really matter? If there are links and commonality between Chiang Mai Friends Group and CEC........ hardly surprising and so what? If the 450 baht asking price is more than the per head charges being paid by the organisers to the hotel or for other fees/expenses......... again - so what?

We're all grown-ups here and should be capable of deciding whether we think it's worth the money for what it could be expected to provide each of us. For me, I think it's not - but as they like to say in LOS: "up to you". I would have a problem if CEC/Chiang Mai Friends Group were setting out to suggest that I needed their services (and to pay for them) in order to comply with the visa requirements. Between research on here, consulting the Immigration website and once or twice double-checking or clarifying in person with CM Immigration on particular points - I've been able to maintain a smooth and stress-free experience of the visa processes. Given that someone mentioned seeing a fee of 5,000 baht paid to a lawyer for 90-day address reporting ( :o ), perhaps others want more of a helping hand...........

I do see some mileage (as per the CEC President's message) in letting Immigration know that I appreciate the help they give me, but I personally don't feel the need to do it at the Shangri La - I already do it every time I have contact with the officers at CM Immigration itself.

Good post these two people are obssesed with this,the top and bottom is if you think it is value for money and of any interest to you then go .If not stay away and do as a previos post said get a life

Just one opinion, of course, and I risk being labelled a prune :o , but I'd have thought that if Chiangmai Expats Club/Friends were free to advertise this event here, we should be free to ask our questions about it here, too.

You just made me reread (well, rescan) this whole thread, the reason being that I could not recall either the Chiang Mai Expats Club nor the Friends of Chiang Mai advertising the event on this thread.

As far as I could find, they (CEC or FCM) haven't done so. What has happened is that Mapguy took the liberty of posting an e-mail he had received in extenso in post #85, followed by Oleodin quoting that message in post #96. I think you should be somewhat more careful with statements like the one highlighted above, or somebody might actually consider you a prune :D

BTW I am not a member of the Friends of Chiang Mai and have not attended a meeting of the CEC for the last six months.

/ Priceless

I don't think CEC or CMFG are community service organizations that work for free. They are not supported by the government either. They should be compensated for their time and effort to put this together. If some people think it's too much money, then they should not go.

What would be nice is if the even was video taped and put on line for everyone to see. It would also be a way for CMFG to show others their organization in action. Could be a good marketing tool.

My point is (perhaps not succinctly made I will admit) that there is something very personal in Oleodin's post that really has no place here and borders flaming.

Make criticisms of the organisations concerned by all means but personal comments about people are, I think, beyond what is acceptable.

The constant use of caps is obviously prunish.

Just one opinion, of course, and I risk being labelled a prune :o , but I'd have thought that if Chiangmai Expats Club/Friends were free to advertise this event here, we should be free to ask our questions about it here, too.

No-one likes capitals but if posts are being removed then quite frankly that is of more importance than critisising someone and calling him a prune. Interesting point about links between Expats and Friends. The post seemed to be from Expats president. There was something in it about wanting to be seen to be there.

Some of the posts seem to not be critisising people but commenting on the system of where the extra money is going.

I agree anyway that personal visits to immigration are the better way and just as effective. I said that in my first post

Okay, I know this is off-topic, but I appreciate the CEC and CM Friends group as they provide enjoyable social events, make Chiang Mai a better place for Thai's and foreigners, and they help us improve our perspective on Thailand. This is all good. The fact that some events are a bit expensive or that some might gain business networking opportunities is pretty trivial.

People here usually fall into two camps: 1. Trying to make the best of it, or 2. Complaining about just about anything. Chiang Mai is a better place with the CEC and CM Friends group doing their things, and it is a downer when those in camp 2 become vocal. Life in Thailand can be as good as you let it. CEC and CM friends have some great people involved that I am happy grace my life.

OY!! This thread is becoming truly absurd!!

Hey! If you can't afford 450 baht --- if that is your problem --- don't go to the meeting! Really! Don't go! Call the Immigration Office with any questions you have. Please let them know your name and passport information for possible further reference! I have posted the telephone number above! Have you the change for the telephone call?! Or, visit the office, although I somehow dread the impression some people might leave upon officers there. Anyway, it might cost you 100 baht there and back from muang. Can you manage that? No snacks on board, either!

Edited by Mapguy

No-one likes capitals but if posts are being removed then quite frankly that is of more importance than critisising someone and calling him a prune. Interesting point about links between Expats and Friends. The post seemed to be from Expats president. There was something in it about wanting to be seen to be there.

Some of the posts seem to not be critisising people but commenting on the system of where the extra money is going.

I agree anyway that personal visits to immigration are the better way and just as effective. I said that in my first post

I agree that a personal visit is effective. They provide the info needed in printed form. I feel many here are missing the point. This lunch is a chance to socialize with the immigration folks. They are Thais who have a difficult if not imposible job. Put yourself in their place behind that window. Hundreds of people from all over the world everyday. Some can speak English or a variety of English. The immigration folks have to do their job with no mistakes or they get big problems

from the Boss. Same anywhere in the world.

Please leave criticism and gripes at home, if you feel you have a valid question write it down and ask it during the Q and A . We all can benefit from a good

exchange. This is a chance for us Expats to form

a bond with the nice folks at Immigration lets not blow it. Is 450 baht gonna kill ya? Give me a break!

I feel it will buy you a million $ worth of recognition

the next time you show your face in the window.

The Thais have good memories for farang faces.

Let's just have a nice lunch with these folks. We do not often have a chance to meet a Thai Official on a

one to one basis. Don't forget to smile, Sawadee Kup

I agree that a personal visit is effective. They provide the info needed in printed form. I feel many here are missing the point. This lunch is a chance to socialize with the immigration folks. They are Thais who have a difficult if not imposible job. Put yourself in their place behind that window. Hundreds of people from all over the world everyday. Some can speak English or a variety of English. The immigration folks have to do their job with no mistakes or they get big problems

from the Boss. Same anywhere in the world.

Please leave criticism and gripes at home, if you feel you have a valid question write it down and ask it during the Q and A . We all can benefit from a good

exchange. This is a chance for us Expats to form

a bond with the nice folks at Immigration lets not blow it. Is 450 baht gonna kill ya? Give me a break!

I feel it will buy you a million $ worth of recognition

the next time you show your face in the window.

The Thais have good memories for farang faces.

Let's just have a nice lunch with these folks. We do not often have a chance to meet a Thai Official on a

one to one basis. Don't forget to smile, Sawadee Kup

Well put!

Hey! If you can't afford 450 baht --- if that is your problem --- don't go to the meeting! Really! Don't go! Call the Immigration Office with any questions you have. Please let them know your name and passport information for possible further reference! I have posted the telephone number above! Have you the change for the telephone call?! Or, visit the office, although I somehow dread the impression some people might leave upon officers there. Anyway, it might cost you 100 baht there and back from muang. Can you manage that? No snacks on board, either!

Your post is the absurd one. Don't comment on why people can or can not afford something. That point has not been raised in this thread "Have you the change for the telephone call?" Come on. Make a serious contribution or stop posting. The points raised are valid but you forget people are entitled to their opinion. I am sorry that not everyone agrees with you but that's life . Accept it. The issue is where is the extra money going and no-one I repeat no-one is critisising immigration . Most people get what they want from immigration without a problem and I have never had anything but good service and a smile there. Maybe not the same in your country. Farang should not be supporting events where there are doubts about finances or motives.

Your post is the absurd one. Don't comment on why people can or can not afford something. That point has not been raised in this thread "Have you the change for the telephone call?" Come on. Make a serious contribution or stop posting. The points raised are valid but you forget people are entitled to their opinion. I am sorry that not everyone agrees with you but that's life . Accept it. The issue is where is the extra money going and no-one I repeat no-one is critisising immigration . Most people get what they want from immigration without a problem and I have never had anything but good service and a smile there. Maybe not the same in your country. Farang should not be supporting events where there are doubts about finances or motives.

PWP

Their is no doulbts about the finances and motives of this meeting.Instead of hiding behind this web site get yourself to a C ex pat meeting and stand up and put your concerns to the people involved direct, with any evidence that you have.Otherwise stop making unfound comments about groups that are only trying to make things better for us farangs here in chiang mai.

The people who are whining about costs of this seminar are nuts

The people who think all the immigration requirements are provided in the immigration useless brochure are nuts

The people who think the online translation of the police order has all the answers are nuts

The people who think the Thai Immigration website has the answers are nuts

The people who think that by asking directly at Immigration will get complete,consistent answers are nuts

At immigration you must ask several different immigration officers and then figure out which of the several different answers will be the answer required by the particular officer you must interact with

Your post is the absurd one. Don't comment on why people can or can not afford something. That point has not been raised in this thread "Have you the change for the telephone call?" Come on. Make a serious contribution or stop posting. The points raised are valid but you forget people are entitled to their opinion. I am sorry that not everyone agrees with you but that's life . Accept it. The issue is where the extra money is going and no-one I repeat no-one is critisising immigration . Most people get what they want from immigration without a problem and I have never had anything but good service and a smile there. Maybe not the same in your country. Farang should not be supporting events where there are doubts about finances or motives.

"issue is where is the extra money going"

OK, since you do not know where the money is going you have no issue.

"Farang should not be supporting events where there are doubts about finances or motives."

OK, when I go to the shop today I will question the owner in detail about his finances, motives, dog kicking and wife beating before I decide whether or not to buy anything.

When are you leaving?

Since I've got to wade through all this bickering to find if any questions remain to be put to the meeting, I'm going to ask the mods to close the thread which is serving no useful purpose - certainly not the one I envisaged when I started it, anyway. Given that a State Of Emergency has now been declared in Bangkok and who knows what will happen to the current administration, perhaps our time could be better spent keeping an eye on the wider picture since some newly important politico might easily step in and change the rules of the game anyway. Anyone for 7 day reporting? :o

A final word on the cost and motives of the meeting. I am assured by a source close to the organiser that the catering is not simply the daily business lunch but a much superior offering and that the deal that was struck with the hotel includes the meeting facility which also carries a cost. I'm sure many of us agree that an elaborate spread is not essential to the proceeding and to the degree that it's clearly produced an adverse reaction from those determined to believe that sinister motives of profit and/or exclusivity lurk in the shadows, it was a poor decision that would no doubt be looked at in a different light next time. As to why Alan Hall was addressing this issue to CEC members, I believe that although the event is organised by CM Friends Group, it doesn't have the means to access the CEC mailing list and the rumblings were coming from many outside the more limited membership of CM Friends. Unfortunately, his action, although useful in getting the message to the wider audience, has further confused some as to the relationship between these bodies (there is none except some members in common) and I suggest that remains something that they should look to if only to satisfy those who insist in seeing dark motives and conspiracies behind every rock.

Mods: Please close this thread. Thanks.