Olympic Medals Tables

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080822/D92N9GC00.html

Age falsification has been a problem in gymnastics since the 1980s after the minimum age was raised from 14 to 15 to protect young athletes from serious injuries.

The minimum age was raised to its current 16 in 1997.

Younger gymnasts are considered to have an advantage because they are more flexible and are likely to have an easier time doing the tough skills the sport requires. They also aren't as likely to have a history of injuries or fear of failure.

You see Koheesti, that's the problem with media. Everybody believe what they write and think that the OVERALL age limit is 16 for the Olympics. The age was indeed raised to 16, for GYMNASTICS. For other sports there are other rules (which I find silly).

For diving for instance the allowed age is 14 and that's why that nice kid from Britain was able to attend diving.

The question is: is diving and turning in the air (and jumping from 10 meters) considered as gymnastics or is it a watersport ?

Well, IMHO it is gymnastics the first part - in the air - and the second/shortest part - entering the water=diving.

post-13995-1219577402.jpg British Tom Daley, 14, Olympic Diver, Beijing 2008, 10 meter post-13995-1219577412.jpg Tom Daley, who turned 14 in May, at a news conference last week in Beijing.

Britain’s Hope for the Future, and He’s Just 14

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/12/sports/o...cs/12diver.html

Nice kid and an astonishing athlete !

But: to be clear here; if someone cheated, whatever the country, with age, doping or otherwise, the winners should be stripped from their medal(s).

Only time will tell and maybe the athletes will tell themselves later in their lives..what happened. Some athletes have done so, recently....confessing they used doping.... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:o And..what about a 12 year old athlete from Cameroon attending swimming and never swum in a 50 meter pool?

I didn't hear any fuss about that..did you ?

Now, come on Olympic bashers, let's hear it :D

post-13995-1219581439.jpg 12 year old Olympic swimmer Antoinette Joyce Guedia Mouafo from Cameroon; born 21 October 1995

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/.../6/243476.shtml

Minimum age rules vary widely at Olympics

By STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer

BEIJING (AP)—Tom Daley’s age hasn’t been an issue. The British Olympic diver is 14 and his youth—his braces were only recently removed—makes his story compelling.

Nor has anyone made a fuss about Antoinette Joyce Guedia Mouafo. At 12, the swimmer from Cameroon is the youngest athlete in the Beijing Olympics and had never swum in a 50-meter pool.

---Yahoo! sports

LaoPo

Thirty Million Dollars for a Run Around the Stadium

It's been reported that the Chinese ex Gymnast who lit the Olympic flame has become $30m richer.

He owns a sporting goods company, and after his very public trot around the roof of the birds nest, stocks in his company soared, making him instantly millions richer.

It's been reported that the Chinese ex Gymnast who lit the Olympic flame has become $30m richer.

He owns a sporting goods company, and after his very public trot around the roof of the birds nest, stocks in his company soared, making him instantly millions richer.

That chap is Li Ning, the founder of the same named company and 3rd largest seller of sports goodies in China, after Nike and Adidas.

LaoPo

That chap is Li Ning, the founder of the same named company and 3rd largest seller of sports goodies in China, after Nike and Adidas.

LaoPo

Capitalist Pig! Mao would be spinning in his grave.

The minimum age for Olympics gymnastics is 16

That's correct.

For Diving it's 14

and

For swimming it's 12 :o

LaoPo

One wonders if you are trying to make the obvious Chinese cheating, running 14 year old girls for gymnastics to be less of a foul because the rules are different for different sports? That is the impression you give. Is it intentional?

Maybe you think it is a stupid rule. That doesn't mean China can ignore it. Well they can and they did, but they cannot avoid the world seeing what they did. The USA followed it in Athens and probably lost some golds because of it.

Edited by Jingthing

LaoPo

Capitalist Pig! Mao would be spinning in his grave.

:o

Quite an achievement though, this Li Ning.

I have more respect for guys like him and your fellow Americans who 'made' it than for negative characters like yourself.

If you spend more of your time being a creative entrepreneur maybe you'll make it.

I did already :D

LaoPo

Oh I get it now. Do you care to say how? Exploiting Chinese slave labor would be my #1 guess. Did I hit it? I can see no other logical reason to be an apologist for the totalitarian PRC government. My motivations are obvious, I hate totalitarianism. What are YOUR motivations?

Edited by Jingthing

The minimum age for Olympics gymnastics is 16

That's correct.

For Diving it's 14

and

For swimming it's 12 :D

LaoPo

One wonders if you are trying to make the obvious Chinese cheating, running 14 year old girls for gymnastics to be less of a foul because the rules are different for different sports? That is the impression you give. Is it intentional?

Maybe you think it is a stupid rule. That doesn't mean China can ignore it. Well they can and they did, but they cannot avoid the world seeing what they did. The USA followed it in Athens and probably lost some golds because of it.

You're a small time character who can't read or ignores my posts:

This is what I wrote in post 31:

"But: to be clear here; if someone cheated, whatever the country, with age, doping or otherwise, the winners should be stripped from their medal(s)."

I hope it's big enough for you to read :o

LaoPo

Oh I get it now. Do you care to say how? Exploiting Chinese slave labor would be my #1 guess. Did I hit it? I can see no other logical reason to be an apologist for the totalitarian PRC government. My motivations are obvious, I hate totalitarianism. What are YOUR motivations?

:o I'm getting tired from your accusations and assumptions and the last 1% of respect I had for you has vanished; finally.

I have a very interesting history of doing business, including in almost every European country, Canada and your own country, the USA - California/San Francisco to be precise where I invested substantial money of my own; not from someone else or some other company.

And yes, I did also business in/with countries like Thailand, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and Korea; never with Japan, Indonesia, Burma, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Iraq, Iran, S. Arabia, Egypt.....hmmmm...maybe I forgot some but I hope you get the picture :D

And you ? I'm interested what a big shot like you is doing for a living. I'm all ears.

Have you visited any of the countries I mentioned, including Europe, by yourself, you old globetrotter :D

I'm just asking but don't expect an answer...as usual :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

A good result by the GB team but where did the USA go wrong?

Shooting - anyone can buy a gun there so they should have had a good result - no! 6 out of 45 medals

Archery - some people hunt with bows and arrows - 0 medals out of 12

How about fighting? Boxing 1 medal out of 44 and 3 wrestling medals out of 51

Equestrianism - cowboys, Wild West and all that - only 3 medals out of 18

Weightlifting - you're always throwing your weight around - sorry no medals there!

You did win medals at your national sports of baseball and basketball but these are girly sports played in the UK by schoolgirls and called rounders & netball.

M.Po:

Doing business is very vague. Nothing really revealed there. It is funny that you think you have.

Its not a big deal to travel alot, even a "little character" like me has done that: I have been all over western Europe, also Czech Rep, Hungary, Canada, US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Rep, Australia, Malaysia, Lao, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Brazil, Argentina, and Peru.

Edited by Jingthing

M.Po:

Doing business is very vague. Nothing really revealed there. It is funny that you think you have.

Its not a big deal to travel alot, even a "little character" like me has done that: I have been all over western Europe, also Czech Rep, Hungary, Canada, US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Rep, Australia, Malaysia, Lao, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Brazil, Argentina, and Peru.

Nice...so what are you doing on a Thailand related website if you haven't been there or are you living in LOS ?..... :o

......and your job is ? Or are you jobless ?

LaoPo

M.Po:

Nice...so what are you doing on a Thailand related website if you haven't been there or are you living in LOS ?..... :o

LaoPo

Thailand is assumed as I live here, dear. It is no secret I am retired, as I post regularly here on retirement visa issues. Being "in business" is what people in the mafia and drug dealers say. Means nada.

Edited by Jingthing

M.Po:

Nice...so what are you doing on a Thailand related website if you haven't been there or are you living in LOS ?..... :(

LaoPo

Thailand is assumed as I live here, dear. It is no secret I am retired, as I post regularly here on retirement visa issues. Being "in business" is what people in the mafia and drug dealers say. Means nada.

:o

BTW...are you gay..since you called me 'dear' ? :D

You give me the shivers that you maybe dreaming of me, being in your arms... :D :D :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

are you gay ?
You wanna date?

No thank you. I'm sorry you are not able to find someone nice in Thailand. You must feel lonely. Your posts show...sorry to see you like that.... :D

Why don't you go back to Uncle Sam; he would be happy to see you again :o

LaoPo

are you gay ?
You wanna date?

No thank you. I'm sorry you are not able to find someone nice in Thailand. You must feel lonely. Your posts show...sorry to see you like that.... :D

Why don't you go back to Uncle Sam; he would be happy to see you again :o

LaoPo

Uncle Sam interfered with me when I was a young boy, he bad man, too greedy for oy (Thaiglish for oil) ...

post-37101-1219596881_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Nadia Comaneci was 14 when she won her golds.

It wasn't against the rules back in the 70s.

The problem is that the way it's checked at the moment is by checking the date of birth in her passport. So if her passport says she's 16, she is...

Uh, no.

What do you want them to try and do? Is there a medical test for age (that's accurate)?

I want the Chinese to explain why they (the Chinese gov't) changed the birthdays from 1994 to 1992.

You see Koheesti, that's the problem with media. Everybody believe what they write and think that the OVERALL age limit is 16 for the Olympics. The age was indeed raised to 16, for GYMNASTICS. For other sports there are other rules (which I find silly).

No, the article is about Gymnastics, NOT the entire Olympics. There is only confusion if you only read an extract and not the entire article.

No, the article is about Gymnastics, NOT the entire Olympics. There is only confusion if you only read an extract and not the entire article.

The USA got beat for the most part fair and square in a variety of sports; in sailing they got cleaned out by the soap dodgers proving that money really can buy medals.

Well done China, you put on a great show.

As for cheats, when all the USA atheletes line up and test clean, then we know there was no cheating going on. Let's face it, the Olympics are rife with cheats in most sports. China is probably not much better or much worse than the other big countries including the USA.

The USA got beat for the most part fair and square in a variety of sports; in sailing they got cleaned out by the soap dodgers proving that money really can buy medals.

Well done China, you put on a great show.

As for cheats, when all the USA atheletes line up and test clean, then we know there was no cheating going on. Let's face it, the Olympics are rife with cheats in most sports. China is probably not much better or much worse than the other big countries including the USA.

As has been stated on Thaivisa NUMEROUS times, yes US athletes have cheated. They have also been shamed and had their medals taken away. It has happened to many nations. But for some reason China is special and above the rules.

The big difference about the Chinese gymnastics girl babies scandal is that there is no way the Chinese government will ever participate in a good faith investigation, because it is a totalitarian dictatorship and they are also the same people who perpetuated the fraud, and there is nothing the IOC can really do about it. Their medals will stand but they are tainted.

Edited by Jingthing

That's exactly what I said. Can't you read ?

LaoPo

China won the most golds.

And China will win more GOLD medals than any other country in the next Olympics as well. :D

Ooops :o .........I forgot I unsubscribed....

Bibi guys :D

LaoPo