Non Immigrant Visa

Hi Everybody,

I am married to a Thai wife and hope to move here to Thailand and apply for permanent residence in Thailand eventually.

I had just been offered a job in Thailand. For application of work permit and extension of the visa to a One year validity on basis of having employment, would it be possible to choose between applying for a Non Imm O or Non Imm B visa ouside Thailand, or has it got to be a specific type of visa? Do I have to leave Thailand every year and apply for a Non Imm visa or could the yearly extension be done within Thailand.

By the way, Im a non degree holder and aged 27. What is the minimum amount of salary I would need here to have a good chance of obtaining the work permit and Thai PR eventually?

Thanks for the advises. :o

Either type of visa can be used for extensions of stay and work - but O is the normal issue for marriage (visit wife). If you extend for business or family (40k per month family income) you just extend your stay on a yearly basis inside Thailand (and this is required for 3 years prior to Permanent Residence application). Work permit for teaching does not require high income but PR normally requires proof of a very high income (80k per month) but is subject to exceptions. But without a degree there is almost no chance I suspect and even teaching legally will likely be a problem.

This is a question that I am interested in. Thanks for asking Bang Na. Good luck with your request.

For me my situation is: Australian, married to a Thai, have a child who is Thai, have a Non Immigrant O visa (this is my second), and am currently attempting to get a Work Permit - hopefully have that in another week or two. We live in Chiang Rai. Have a degree. Can speak intermediate Thai.

I want to eventually be able to apply for permanent residence also.

Therefore when this Non Immigrant O visa runs out I understand I should apply for a extension of stay from within Thailand.

That part I understand. But how??????

How do you apply for an extension of stay?

Where?

How do we show that we have 40 000 Baht income per month?

Is there an option to show an amount in the bank?

Either way - how much evidence of this income and / or money in the bank do I need?

Does it have to be shown that we have got 40 000 Baht per month for the last 12 months? Or the last 6, 3, 2, 1?

Same with regards to money in the bank if that is an option?

All these questions my wife and I have not been able to get clear answers to.

Thanks for any help and advice given.

Edited by Paul123456

Hi,

I was wondering whether coming in on a Non Imm O, OR Non Imm B, with yearly extensions will give me a better chance of getting the work permit and PR. If I decide to change visa say e.g after 2 yrs from a B to a O, will it mean that my consecutive yearly extensions will be broken and I will have to start over again to obtain the 3 consecutive yearly extensions?

And on a Non Imm O, will my wife have to be present in Immigration with me each time I do the visa extension, which shall be on basis of my employment in Thailand? Is it necessary to produce a Thai marriage cert or a foreign one translated into Thai will do?

I am not coming in to teach, but rather on an executive position. The salary which the co will pay me meets the min Baht 80k income requirement, do you think that the lack of a degree will affect the WP or PR applicantion?

Thanks mate. :o

Either type of visa can be used for extensions of stay and work - but O is the normal issue for marriage (visit wife). If you extend for business or family (40k per month family income) you just extend your stay on a yearly basis inside Thailand (and this is required for 3 years prior to Permanent Residence application). Work permit for teaching does not require high income but PR normally requires proof of a very high income (80k per month) but is subject to exceptions. But without a degree there is almost no chance I suspect and even teaching legally will likely be a problem.

You file a TM.7 form with 4x6cm photo attached at your local immigration office. Cost of form is 1,900 baht and should be filed during the last 30 days of a 90 day visa entry.

You must show proof of 40k per month family income - there is no option to show bank deposit for new applicants.

Income proof is Embassy letter or tax records from previous year if in Thailand.

In the event of large money holdings but no provable current income past tax payments have been suggested to prove wife had/has part time job paying the required family income.

Thanks for the answers!!

I am interested to hear the answers to the Non Imm O vs Non Imm B also.

Regarding the answer to my question: I think I am about half way through my visa. So far this year, we haven't been making or paying tax on 40000 Baht per month (and I am still not sure how to do that (pay tax), but will get my wife to check into it).

If we start making that amount of money from now - will that be OK?

If not - any other useful thoughts?

Lopburi, thanks for your answers, really appreciate it. And to Paul, u most welcome, man.

Like Paul, I also eager to know the answers Non Imm O vs Non Imm B.

Anyway, what is the policy nowadays regard to issuing Non Imm O visas at Thai embassy. Do still issue multiple entry? And what are the supporting docs emabssy requires in application for this Non Imm O? Thks in advance.

Anyway, what is the policy nowadays regard to issuing Non Imm O visas at Thai embassy. Do still issue multiple entry? And what are the supporting docs emabssy requires in application for this Non Imm O? Thks in advance.

Bagna - may be able to advise you if you are a UK citizen living in the UK. If you are, some indication of where you currently live in the UK may be useful.

...... but PR normally requires proof of a very high income (80k per month) but is subject to exceptions. But without a degree there is almost no chance I suspect and even teaching legally will likely be a problem.

Whilst a degree is a prerequisite to teaching English legally, it is not necesasary for PR or citizenship applicatnts to be graduates (I know some that aren't). In considering applications for both PR and citizenship, education is only a minor parameter by which a candidate is evaluated. Often just high school certificates are accepted, or nothing at all so long as the salary and taxes look good. The weighting is heavily placed on income and payment of taxes. 80k per month would be unlikely to cut it, unless there were other factors that the immigration commission particularly liked about the applicant. I know a few hopefuls who were refused PR, and they all had one thing in common - they declared salaries in the 60 to 80k range.

OJAS, I and frm Singapore. Dbrenn, what do u think is the minimum income i need to have a very good chance of getting Thai PR or citizenship. And at what kind of tax rate Im looking at? Thks mate.

...... but PR normally requires proof of a very high income (80k per month) but is subject to exceptions. But without a degree there is almost no chance I suspect and even teaching legally will likely be a problem.

Whilst a degree is a prerequisite to teaching English legally, it is not necesasary for PR or citizenship applicatnts to be graduates (I know some that aren't). In considering applications for both PR and citizenship, education is only a minor parameter by which a candidate is evaluated. Often just high school certificates are accepted, or nothing at all so long as the salary and taxes look good. The weighting is heavily placed on income and payment of taxes. 80k per month would be unlikely to cut it, unless there were other factors that the immigration commission particularly liked about the applicant. I know a few hopefuls who were refused PR, and they all had one thing in common - they declared salaries in the 60 to 80k range.

OJAS, I and frm Singapore. Dbrenn, what do u think is the minimum income i need to have a very good chance of getting Thai PR or citizenship. And at what kind of tax rate Im looking at? Thks mate.

The more income, the better the chance. Although there are exceptions, PR (and especially citizenship) applicants are looked at as a package but with a bias on financial status. The officials probably won't tell you that, but that's the way that the immigration committee thinks. The evaluation is rather subjective, and there is no hard and fast rule, but experience shows that men applying under the living/working/married categories should be earning well in excess of the stated minimums in order to stand a chance. Think THB 120K+ monthly salary and taxes paid on that full amount, with everything else in perfect order. 150K puts you on even safer ground, assuming all your other ducks are more or less in line.

Personal income taxation rates in Thailand can be found here http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

Thanks dbrenn for your answers. Any idea on whether we are required to show proof of income from Singapore (the country of my nationality) to the Thai embassy in Singapore for application of a Non Imm O or B visa.

Also, say if I get a remain in Thailand for 3 consecutive years of Non Imm B extensions on work basis and subsequently apply for Thai PR, will I be asked to convert to Non Imm O since my wife is Thai and have my extensions broken.

Thks

The more income, the better the chance. Although there are exceptions, PR (and especially citizenship) applicants are looked at as a package but with a bias on financial status. The officials probably won't tell you that, but that's the way that the immigration committee thinks. The evaluation is rather subjective, and there is no hard and fast rule, but experience shows that men applying under the living/working/married categories should be earning well in excess of the stated minimums in order to stand a chance. Think THB 120K+ monthly salary and taxes paid on that full amount, with everything else in perfect order. 150K puts you on even safer ground, assuming all your other ducks are more or less in line.

Personal income taxation rates in Thailand can be found here http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html