Wat Po Style Massage In Chiang Mai

T_Dog

Didn't know what Wat Po massage was so looked it up. Wat Po is a leading teacher of "southern style" massage. This wat is said to be Thailand's first University. Chiang Mai Trad Massage School seems to be the best known place to learn the northern style. This would explain a scarcity of the Wat Po style here, of course, but if it can be found in Pai, there's a good chance it can also be found in CM. Perhaps you could ask at the CM school ?!

Description of the Wat Po course:

This course provides Wat Po massage, the predominant method practiced in southern Thailand, which is based on Buddhist history and philosophy, Chinese acupressure meridians and yoga. Instruction will center on using the practitioner's body weight as the primary tool in creating a dynamic and deeply healing treatment. Students will learn the slow and fluid rhythm that characterizes practitioner movements in Thai massage. Students will be taught to develop a sensitivity to, and understanding of the unique qualities of each client's body. We will cover how to treat clients with elbows, knees, and feet based on various yoga postures in the supine, prone, lateral recumbent, and sitting positions. This course will also provide students with a solid foundation in Thai stretching techniques to be used as a part of the overall treatment process. Instruction will include an introduction to the special concept of the Nadi energy lines adapted from India and the use of acupressure techniques on the ten abdominal pressure points that correspond both to the Nadi lines and various parts of the body. At the end of the 30 hour course, students will have learned all of the techniques necessary to be able to properly perform a two-hour full-body Wat Po Thai massage.
Edited by sylviex

Syl, Yes, that is right. Wat Po style is usually much slower and usually stronger. The masseuse will pray prior to the massage with wishes for a good massage, and for both of you to have a better life afterwards. They typically have a very high focus on what they are doing, and surely do not talk on the phone like some places allow. After having a Wat Po style massage, it is tough going back to normal massages.

I called the school in Chiang Mai and they offer Wat Po style massage, but charge 140 baht more an hour for Farangs versus Thais. I tend to avoid places that have double pricing standards. The temple in Bangkok charges the same for Thai and Farang customers.

Last weekend I met a girl in a bar who I hadn't seen in a long time. She's tiny, but now sports an iron grip at massage. :o She learnt it at Wat Chomphoo she said. She's not a reliable source I hasten to add, for all I know it could be Wat Sayuri where she learnt the stuff. :D I'm just throwing the name out there to check further. If true it's probably a cheap place to learn.

Syl, Yes, that is right. Wat Po style is usually much slower and usually stronger. The masseuse will pray prior to the massage with wishes for a good massage, and for both of you to have a better life afterwards. They typically have a very high focus on what they are doing, and surely do not talk on the phone like some places allow. After having a Wat Po style massage, it is tough going back to normal massages.

I called the school in Chiang Mai and they offer Wat Po style massage, but charge 140 baht more an hour for Farangs versus Thais. I tend to avoid places that have double pricing standards. The temple in Bangkok charges the same for Thai and Farang customers.

What school did you call?

You must have found a great place if the Thai-Farang price differential is only 140B/hour.

Wasn't the Wat Po style masseuse in Pai trained in CM? The teacher couple that do massage after school at their house were.

What school did you call?

You must have found a great place if the Thai-Farang price differential is only 140B/hour.

Wasn't the Wat Po style masseuse in Pai trained in CM? The teacher couple that do massage after school at their house were.

The place I called is the Chetawan Massage school in Chiang Mai. I actually just wanted them to recommend a place for me since I want to receive Wat Po style massage, not learn it. Since they provide massage I thought I would ask about pricing. 360 baht an hour for farangs, and 220 for Thai.

The folks in Pai were trained in Bangkok, which probably explains why they were so good!

Now, to get this thread BACK on track, can anyone recommend a massage shop in Chiang Mai that provides Wat Po style massage?

I have had massages at Wat Po and was not all that impressed. I wouldn't insist on getting that style here. :o

And I've never had massages here as effective compared to the ones at Wat Po. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.........

• 2 weeks later...
I have had massages at Wat Po and was not all that impressed. I wouldn't insist on getting that style here. :o

And I've never had massages here as effective compared to the ones at Wat Po. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.........

Two hour Wat Po-style Thai massage today at the Chetewan, VERY disappointed. I'm sure that the masseuse was either a student or very recently qualified - her inexperience showed considerably. No strength in thumbs was a dead giveaway, and she was not good at sensing when to apply different pressures, according to sensitivity (or agony on a couple of occasions in my case!) She was also clearly nervous with the more difficult manipulations (and so, as a result, was I!)

Why is it that so many massage places feel obliged to blast you with Arctic air throughout your massage? At least one can usually ask for it to be turned down or even off - but not at the Chetewan apparently. The control was missing, so I was provided with a towel. Several would have been preferable... plus a duvet. A masseur myself, one of the first things you learn is how important it is for the client to feel comfortably warm, as the recipient's body temperature drops as he relaxes during the massage.

As for prices - there was a single price list (maybe for farangs' benefit only). 360 bt for an hour, 720 bt for two hours. Having had Thai massages at the Home 2 in Loi Kroh recently at less than half the Chetewan price for two hours - and by 3 really confident, excellent masseuses, nothing to tell between them - I shan't be returning to the Chetewan in a hurry.

Ok they may have thought yet another farang on holiday, even if the gf rang up first and booked for me. But they missed a chance for a regular customer - and they obviously have competent masseurs there seeing as it's a long-established school.

Doh, I should have asked first when I called to book, whether or not the masseur/euse was a trainee. Don't make the same mistake if you try the place.

Edited by wedders