PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

There are two new topic-specific threads in the News Clipping Forum that cover two new areas of recent discussion in this thread...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Post...it-t209824.html

Bangkok Post Increase Its Printed Edition To 30 Baht

and

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Supreme-Cour...in-t209812.html

Supreme Court Takes New Case Against Thaksin Over Mobile Phone Concession

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well another court has accepted another suit against Dr T. for malfeasence in office.

Supreme Court accepts mobile phone concession suit against Thaksin

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions Monday accepted a lawsuit filed against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, accusing him of abusing authority to benefit mobile phone concession of his family.

Thaksin was accused by the suit filed by public prosecutors of causing damages worth Bt66 billion to the state by allowing government agencies concerned to amend the mobile concession contract with Shin Corp.

The court scheduled the first hearing on October 15.

The Nation

The courts don't accept suits unless they see reasonable facts

to make them believe there was a crime committed.

Conviction is for later, but essentially there is enough question

of fact about his dealings in numerous cases, so far most

accepted by courts for adjudication.

So far a scathingly negative track record for his term in office.

Unless you want to argue the PAD has co-opted the courts.

Will this argument come from those defending the current regime,

because the courts have not YET invalidated them?

No, Animatic.

I believe in the rule of law -justly and fairly administered.

PAD believe in the rule of the mob, already described earlier as wanting to be "Judge, Jury and Executioner". Even you have fallen into that trap - yes, the court has said there is a case for examination, you say that "conviction is for later", no fair trial just certain conviction.

Only you imply that's what I said.

All I said and quite simply is "Conviction is for later,"

I said NOTHING to imply it was a forgone conclusion.

It means this is not determining guilt now.

So don't try and put your words in my mouth.

In my observations of the Thai courts they USUALLY

do NOT accept a case unless it's pretty damning to begin with.

Lots to do with not causing lost face and such.

No forgone conclusions, just twisting my words to your ends.

Even oil production is being affected...

The ongoing railway strike is also disrupting oil production in the country's biggest onshore well, the Sirikit Oilfield, located in Phitsanulok province, 377 km north of Bangkok.

PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP) has cut down its daily oil output from about 20,000 barrels per day to just 3,000 due to the difficulty in transporting the oil to refining facilities in Bangkok, while production of LPG and NGV gas was going on as these are used by the electricity utility firm, EGAT, for consumption in the northern part.

A PTTEP spokesman, who confirmed the reduction in output, said they could not transport the crude oil without the railway service, adding that they were losing millions in revenue as only 3,000 barrels could be ferried daily by trucks.

- Straits Times / (today)

Ouch. That's gotta be hurting the government.

No...Thailand is not importing oil direct, they have a company switched between which I got told is close to Thaksin and takes a small percentage.

So no problem for the master, what he loose on this side he wins on the other side.

Hearsay m'lord. It's the onshore field.

Yes if there is less supply from inside Thailand there must be more import and the imports run over that Thaksin company (broker) instead of direct.

The Nation

post-66997-1220249431_thumb.jpg

Protesters erect barbe wires at the exits of the Government House to prevent raids following mobilising of pro-government protesters.//Nanthasit Nitmatha

I don't remember seeing razor wire for sale at my local hardware store.

I wonder where they got it.

It's available all over Thailand. I've even been to a temple fair at a Wat that had Concertina wire strung out to preserve an area...

Barbed wire and Concertina wire are used in thousands of areas .... almost invariably in extremely unsafe conditions.

Welcome to Thailand. :o

Been here a along times so the welcome is a bit late.

Thanks for the info.

Will look for it the next time I go shopping. Might be good for keeping the dogs at bay.

I thought I had read you saying earlier that you've been here for quite a time, which is why I was surprised by your comments as surely you had witnessed barbed wire being used at school boundaries or any number of it and Concertina wire many other inappropriate uses around Thailand. Did you think this all came from some secret stock piles maintained only by shadowy elements of the Army or Police?

It is, however, an improvement to see the wire finally being used in an appropriate situation as it a real threat they are attempting to prevent, given the UDD/DAAD's violent history.

Of course I have seen barbed wire used. We have it around our property.

Just never saw razor/concertina wire that I can recall. I did put remember in my statement.

ok, well then I'm glad I could share. Concertina wire's common misuse, except in this case, always strikes me so profoundly when I've encountered it here so often that it stands out prominently in my memory.

Absolutely it will keep dogs out (or in, depending on one's wishes).

Edited by sriracha john

Surapong optimistic work stoppage won't escalate

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee on Monday expressed optimism that the work stoppage being staged by state enterprise employees in several sectors will not escalate because basically most such employees do not want the public to experience hardship.

Full story at: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130236

^^ "optimistic it won't spread"..... but also there's no hurry to resolve what is already happening...

Transport Committee asks state enterprise employees at strike to go back to work

Chairman of the parliamentary committee on transport Acting 2nd Lt.Phongphan Sunthornchai requests state enterprise employees at strike to go back to work within three days and says he will invite the transport minister to explain the situation to them.

The chairman says the strike has affected the economy, the country’s image, as well as foreigners’ confidence, adding that a strike is illegal. He says a strike is legal only when the employees have salary problems.

The chairman discloses that the committee will call an urgent meeting on September 8th *urgent?* :o to discuss the strike and call on the governor of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) to file lawsuits against the employees at strike and to cease their employment.

The state enterprise employees at strike were from SRT, the Thai Airways International, the Electricity Generating of Thailand, and the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority.

- ThaiNews / today

from the nation:

Pallop believes military will step in if two groups of protesters clash

Pallop Pinmanee, former advisor to the Internal Security Operations Command, expressed confidence Monday that the military would step in if police fail to prevent clashes between pro and anti-government demonstrators.

"If police fail to control the situation, the military will have to keep security. The military will not allow people to clash one another throughout the country," Pallop said.

The Nation

^^ "optimistic it won't spread"..... but also there's no hurry to resolve what is already happening...

Transport Committee asks state enterprise employees at strike to go back to work

Chairman of the parliamentary committee on transport Acting 2nd Lt.Phongphan Sunthornchai requests state enterprise employees at strike to go back to work within three days and says he will invite the transport minister to explain the situation to them.

The chairman says the strike has affected the economy, the country’s image, as well as foreigners’ confidence, adding that a strike is illegal. He says a strike is legal only when the employees have salary problems.

The chairman discloses that the committee will call an urgent meeting on September 8th *urgent?* :o to discuss the strike and call on the governor of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) to file lawsuits against the employees at strike and to cease their employment.

The state enterprise employees at strike were from SRT, the Thai Airways International, the Electricity Generating of Thailand, and the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority.

- ThaiNews / today

Strike is illegal? But legal when there is a salary problem. So if they claim they strike because they want more money, than everything is OK?

"As long as we support Sondhi we want 1000x salary and go therefore on strike, as soon as political situation is improved we agree to the same salary as now."

urgent meeting on September 8th.....it is not possible earlier because

urgent gulf games

urgent meeting with mia noi

urgent negotiating the commission for the next Mega Project.

or the urgent hope that the problem is resolved by itself till 8th?

- ThaiNews / today

Strike is illegal? But legal when there is a salary problem. So if they claim they strike because they want more money, than everything is OK?

"As long as we support Sondhi we want 1000x salary and go therefore on strike, as soon as political situation is improved we agree to the same salary as now."

urgent gulf games

No actual confrontation; Sabai, mai? Mak mak Thai! :D

All Quiet on the Western Front, maybe they are tired from the weekend :o

Or maybe they are sitting back and having a chuckle about the trains Ect.

Stocks in Thai Air dropped like a rock today.

Hitting the big boys in the wallet.

Wonder what the next week is really going to bring. It really doesn't look like the neeed to to do much more at this point.

The wild card those red bandanas.

from TOC

Civil Court Throws out PM's Office Request to Vacate PAD from Govt House

UPDATE : 1 September 2008

The Civil court has ruled to dismiss the PM's Office's request for an order to enforce the court's earlier injunction to vacate PAD protesters from Government House even when the Appeals Court has accepted the PAD's request for a judicial review.

The Civil Court has granted an earlier rquest made by the Prime Minister's Office for an injunction to have the PAD vacate Government House. The PAD responded by filing for an appeal with the Appeals Court, who has consequently accepted the petition.

Now the plentiff, the PM's Office, has less than 15 days to submit counter arguments to the court to fight the PAD's quest for an appeal.

While the Appeals Court is reviewing the case, the PAD is legally allowed to remain at the Government House.

From TOC

Senior Military Office Denies Involvement in Bombing Near PAD Rally Site

"เสธ.แดง"หวั่นเกิดปะทะ อาจเป็นเหตุ"ทหาร"แทรกแซง

A senior military officer has denied any involvement with the recent explosion near PAD's Makawan Bridge rally site. He also reveals there is currently an effort to get as many people from the provinces as possible to come to Bangkok to confront the PAD.

Maj-General Kattiya Sawas-diphol says this could very well lead to an outbreak of violence and subsequently forces the military to interfere.

Maj-Gen Kattiya has also denied any involvement with the bombing that took place at around 1 a.m. this morning.

A bomb went off near the Makawan Bridge but no one was injured.

Oh really ?

Who then toils away at rice paddies that have enabled Thailand to become the 1st exporter of rice in the world ?

" Labor force - by occupation:

agriculture: 49%

industry: 14%

services: 37% (2000 est.) '

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...os/th.html#Econ

"In 2007 agriculture, forestry, and fishing contributed only 11.4% percent to GDP. Thailand is the world’s leading exporter of rice and a major exporter of shrimp."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Thailand

Half the Thai population is employed in agriculture, yet, even with the addition of forestry and fishing their output amounts to only 11% of GDP.

Despite the large numbers of rice farms in Issarn and the relatively large population they are not the main source of rice for Thailand. The more fertile areas further south a far more productive and produce much more. Issarn has poor soils and is not really suited to commercial rice production. The area is subject to flooding and drought. The soils are poor. Ground water is often saline. Most of the area lacks irrigation. The rice farmers of Issarn barely scratch out a living and despite their hard labour contribute little to Thailands overall GDP. Such is the reason why Issarn is the poorest region in Thailand despite the fact that it carries almost one third of the population; -- many of whom are now going to the city to seek more lucrative employment in the factories.

All Quiet on the Western Front, maybe they are tired from the weekend :o

Or maybe they are sitting back and having a chuckle about the trains Ect.

Stocks in Thai Air dropped like a rock today.

Hitting the big boys in the wallet.

Wonder what the next week is really going to bring. It really doesn't look like the neeed to to do much more at this point.

The wild card those red bandanas.

or the red ties in Parliament.... albeit they are minimally less "wild"...

r1216414136.jpg

Red is all of a sudden fashionable...

Edited by sriracha john

- ThaiNews / today

urgent gulf games

Well Thaksin made everything to make the State Railway people upset.

Now they have their long awaited revenge.

from TOC

The Civil court has ruled to dismiss the PM's Office's request for an order to enforce the court's earlier injunction to vacate PAD protesters from Government House even when the Appeals Court has accepted the PAD's request for a judicial review.

The Civil Court has granted an earlier rquest made by the Prime Minister's Office for an injunction to have the PAD vacate Government House. The PAD responded by filing for an appeal with the Appeals Court, who has consequently accepted the petition.

Now the plentiff, the PM's Office, has less than 15 days to submit counter arguments to the court to fight the PAD's quest for an appeal.

While the Appeals Court is reviewing the case, the PAD is legally allowed to remain at the Government House.

Thai justice at work!

So has anyone got an idea of how this increasingly insane situation will end bearing in mind that both sides have tacit support across the country numbering in the millions? This support cannot just be turned off.

Persoanlly, I cant see past some form of national unity government for set period to resolve all issues although it looks unlikely. Guess we just await something very bad to happen although exactly what we dont know.

So has anyone got an idea of how this increasingly insane situation will end bearing in mind that both sides have tacit support across the country numbering in the millions? This support cannot just be turned off.

Persoanlly, I cant see past some form of national unity government for set period to resolve all issues although it looks unlikely. Guess we just await something very bad to happen although exactly what we dont know.

Bloodshed : small or large is the only question .

For the rest, it's all same same as 1992 ...

But will that really resolve things this time?

from TOC

Thai justice at work!

Thaksin would be the first to tell you that "Thai justice" can often be delayed... he dragged out investigations and legal cases for months and months and months and months with his delays.

Edited by sriracha john

- ThaiNews / today

urgent gulf games

Well Thaksin made everything to make the State Railway people upset.

Now they have their long awaited revenge.

The railway unionists are not on strike, they have taken mass leave so they can still get paid while withdrawing their labour. The public are inconvenienced yet ultimately pay their wages while they carry out this pseudo strike. I do have to wonder if they would be prepared to carry out a prolonged genuine strike without pay for their principles. And I do wonder how much the senior union officials are getting paid to organize this action?

From TOC

Senior Military Office Denies Involvement in Bombing Near PAD Rally Site

"เสธ.แดง"หวั่นเกิดปะทะ อาจเป็นเหตุ"ทหาร"แทรกแซง

A senior military officer has denied any involvement with the recent explosion near PAD's Makawan Bridge rally site. He also reveals there is currently an effort to get as many people from the provinces as possible to come to Bangkok to confront the PAD.

Maj-General Kattiya Sawas-diphol says this could very well lead to an outbreak of violence and subsequently forces the military to interfere.

Maj-Gen Kattiya has also denied any involvement with the bombing that took place at around 1 a.m. this morning.

A bomb went off near the Makawan Bridge but no one was injured.

Well, if it comes true, it isn't a though people couldn't see it coming. It wasn't as though 16mn+ supporters were likely to let PAD have the only voice.

As one of the senators mentioned it isn't as though the PAD owns Thailand.

Peace people please.

But will that really resolve things this time?

No it won't , just like it didn't in 1992.

from TOC

Thai justice at work!

Thaksin would be the first to tell you that "Thai justice" can often be delayed... he dragged out investigations and legal cases for months and months and months and months with his delays.

Thaksin is in England and the country is in chaos. A poor choice of comparisons IMHO.

Get a coin and make sure it has at least 10 sides.

If there is a clash, an SoE will follow. After that, use the coin.

If you listened to yesterday's debate you will know that the opposition party not only accepts it, they proposed it, as I said in my previous post. There are options. The government won't consider them.

LOL.. And what are those options: Samak resigning, or the whole government resigning! And why, becaause a small minority of the privileged take issue with the government not even ONE year after it was elected? Why on earth should anyone even consider those options to be reasonable?

Some say the election victory was illegitimate; well, the EC and constitutional court will get their say on that one. Until they do, honestly, why do you expect the government to roll over and play dead? And what would all their supporters think (a majority of the people, at last count!).

And then EVEN if the government would take one of those options, will this improve the situation? PAD are not happy until they establish a 'managed"democracy"', or an absolute monarchy, or any other variation thereof that results in the rural poor not having a say in their own idea of a perfect government; in other words, it would solve nothing.

And I do wonder how much the senior union officials are getting paid to organize this action?

I eagerly await posts attesting to the "fact" their girlfriend's second cousin is fairly certain that the senior union officials are receiving 200 baht a day plus free meals.

Edited by sriracha john