PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

Important sign from Thaksin?

Thaksin sells his Manchester City Club to Abu Dhabi

By The Nation

Fugitive prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has sold Manchester City to the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment.

Arabianbusiness online reported that a deal with current owner Thaksin completed on Sunday evening.

The online said Thaksin has helped bankroll a number of big-money transfers in the past but, with his assets currently frozen as he awaits trial in Thailand, doubts have been cast over his long-term future at the club.

The Abu Dhabi United Group will be represented on the club's board by Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim, chief executive of Hydra Properties.

Thaksin will be an honourary president with no administrative power.

"Our goal is very simple - to make Manchester City the biggest clup in the Premier League, and to begin with, to finish in the top four this season."

ADUG will be represented on the new board of Manchester City by Hydra Properties CEO Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim

Al Fahim, who led negotiations, confirmed on Monday the deal had been struck. He said,"We will release details later, but this is a great event for both the club and Abu Dhabi.

"Our goal is very simple - to make Manchester City the biggest club in the Premier League, and to begin with, to finish in the top four this season."

Al Fahim stressed that the Group will solve all the club problems and clear any pending payments, and will comprehensively support the club by bringing in some of the best football players in the world.

It is understood that negotiations began three weeks ago, and were completed on Sunday night at Emirates Palace Hotel in Dubai.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/01...es_30082168.php

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Thai in laws in Chonburi who are PPP supporters.

But are they registered in Chonburi, or migrants.. As you know people's votes only count in the province where they're registered; Therefore places that have a lot of migrants (like Bangkok and Chonburi and Phuket), only the votes of the people who own (their main) property there count in elections.

Got me thinking, Geovalin. My boyfriend usually wears a yellow shirt on Mondays, but this morning he pointedly chose a white one. I have to say that unlike the usual Monday sea of yellow, it was quite a mix of colours this morning. To be fair, though, there were very few red shirts on show, either.

Strangely enough, I always wear red on Sunday - but yesterday I deliberately avoided red in case people mistook me for a member of DAAD.

Today, faced with the same decision over yellow, I decided that yellow was appropriate in keeping with the custom of wearing yellow to show support for the King, and also because I wasn't going to be anywhere near Government House or Parliament.

Weird how such a simple matter can cause all sorts of confusion.

From TOC

Senior Military Office Denies Involvement in Bombing Near PAD Rally Site

UPDATE : 1 September 2008

"เสธ.แดง"หวั่นเกิดปะทะ อาจเป็นเหตุ"ทหาร"แทรกแซง

A senior military officer has denied any involvement with the recent explosion near PAD's Makawan Bridge rally site. He also reveals there is currently an effort to get as many people from the provinces as possible to come to Bangkok to confront the PAD.

Maj-General Kattiya Sawas-diphol says this could very well lead to an outbreak of violence and subsequently forces the military to interfere.

Maj-Gen Kattiya has also denied any involvement with the bombing that took place at around 1 a.m. this morning.

A bomb went off near the Makawan Bridge but no one was injured.

I don't think we're getting the full story here- why would a military spokesman (and not a- oh- say disgruntled postal employee) feel the NEED to say- "I didn't do it'?

In other words- who has suggested he did- and on what grounds?

I would think that a level of paranoia has set in with anyone involved in this power game tbh

When you are hearing that a sea of red shirts are coming from the north,

maybe putting your yellow shirt up might seem prudent.

OR you could wear pink for the late princess.

What is the Queens color for her birthday period of unity?

I rememeber HRM changing his coat color 5 times in one week,

so that clothing makers would not have to sell ONLY one color.

Such wisdom! :o

Edited by animatic

Need your feed back.

Today after shower I mistakenly chose a black shirt instead the usual Monday yellow one.

Well, I did not to change before to go outside and I went in the streets shamefully with my black shirt (farang + non yellow dressed = too much).

To my BIG surprise, all these people who was yellow last week was plain dressed today.

Last week, at least 80% vs 5 % today.

Same at my kids school (private with mostly THAI airways staff children, people who was supposed to be PAD supporters), not more than 10 / 20% of yellow (except the school teachers of course).

My area is Saphan Kwai, Vipawadee.

Did you see the same thing where you do live?

Of course, it's not prevention against HM the beloved King, OMY it's just to distinguish themselves from PAD.

Got me thinking, Geovalin. My boyfriend usually wears a yellow shirt on Mondays, but this morning he pointedly chose a white one. I have to say that unlike the usual Monday sea of yellow, it was quite a mix of colours this morning. To be fair, though, there were very few red shirts on show, either.

The MOST interesting news I've read today, so far.

Very interesting indeed and amazing that so many people, at the same time, decided NOT to wear yellow on this Monday.... !

LaoPo

But are they registered in Chonburi, or migrants.. As you know people's votes only count in the province where they're registered; Therefore places that have a lot of migrants (like Bangkok and Chonburi and Phuket), only the votes of the people who own (their main) property there count in elections.

Chonburi has a rapidly expanding first generation of new home owners who came form the North and Isaan with qualifications or business naunce and who have done well. Oddly enough or maybe not this group is a natural support group for the Democrats and are not so beholden into traditional mafia groups. There are as you say a lot of migrant workers who cant vote there but even amongst those PPP support doesnt seem particularly high and right now the Burmese migrant workers could outnumber them who cant vote anywhere including their own country :o. Pattaya is also a case study on its own.

Still getting off subject with the changing demographics of Chonburi

No. They live there. The wifes older sister married a bloke from there and has been there for nearly 40years. A whole tribe of descendants there now.

Today, faced with the same decision over yellow, I decided that yellow was appropriate in keeping with the custom of wearing yellow to show support for the King, and also because I wasn't going to be anywhere near Government House or Parliament.

Would Polo (Ralph Lauren), Lacoste, Gallop, Adidas and the like count too? Or does it have to be that particular one? If so I have a problem which really isn't one - even XL is = s for me, so I stick to the more common brands...

You can register for 'Family Book' at a rental property.

Oh forgot to mention I saw many Yellow Shirts

all across the island today.

And I talked to a electronics distributer in Bangkok twice today

An educated man clearly. He said effectively;

Thank you for asking If things are OK here in Bangkok, I'm not worried.

He thanked me for my interest.

Edited by animatic

This is not a time for hardliners. Can some people just tone down their rhetoric? PAD is not legitimate, but it represents a very real and very active and very determined slice of the country. Whatever you think of them, they are not going anywhere, so why not enter into a dialogue with them rather than just say and do what PM Samak does...which is nothing of any use to anyone, but pouring scorn. If you refuse to accept the voice of PAD as does the PM, then we are stuck here for a long time. They are unreasonable, but why not at least try to reason with them? And yes, what a wonderful idea about cutting the country in half. Such enlightenened thought. It is no loss to anyone if all sides bow down. Surely ending bloodshed has GOT to be the priority, so what if someone feels as though they have lost face. Its not about anyone winning or losing anymore, it is about the bigger picture.

I personally (for what it's worth, probably not much) would be skeptical about trying to reach a compromise (short of the entire cabinet resigning) with the PAD. Their avowed goal is the overthrow of the government- in the minds of their leaders (I think- I don't know for sure of course) all possible avenues that could provide Thaksin with influence in the country must be sealed - permanantly. If it wasn't the government's plan to change the constitution- it would be something else- the government's policies re borders, the government's policy in the south, the governments influence on the media- even the governments influence in foreign and economic policy decisions- in short- the government.

In other words give them and inch and they will take a mile.

I have stated my opinion previously that the goverment should not give in.

I even suggested the option of allowing the people to voice their desires in the form of a referendum.

I don't think a forced eviction from goverment house will occur.

So the best you can hope is that the strikes will end and then just let PAD have goverment house until they get tired and leave.

If the police had taken action the first day and isolated the group inside and not allowed in food and water and cut all utilities to the compound. This would of been over with already. With the PAD leaders locked up or on bail.

So now it has become a quagmire that will be very difficult to resolve,

Would Polo (Ralph Lauren), Lacoste, Gallop, Adidas and the like count too? Or does it have to be that particular one? If so I have a problem which really isn't one - even XL is = s for me, so I stick to the more common brands...

Anything yellow on Monday would be considered a show of support for the King. As it is, I'm wearing Bossini :o

Dunno sounds a bit paranoid. Spent all day in Bkk and I don't think on the street level anyone has given it a second thought they just getting on with it

Dunno sounds a bit paranoid. Spent all day in Bkk and I don't think on the street level anyone has given it a second thought they just getting on with it

Catmac and Lao Po commented on the noticeable decrease in yellow today - and, to be honest, I noticed it too. But tomorrow will tell the real tale - many Thais had taken to wearing yellow on most days to show their support for the King - but now I suspect the difference will be dramatic as people seek to distance themselves from PAD.

edit -> I just stepped outside to have a cigarette, and watched a number of people pass by (about 40). Normally, on Monday, 3 out of 4 would be wearing yellow. Today, that number is 1 out of 4 - and I would be willing to bet that a number of those wearing yellow are doing so out of habit (like me).

Edited by onethailand

Catmac and Lao Po commented on the noticeable decrease in yellow today - and, to be honest, I noticed it too. But tomorrow will tell the real tale - many Thais had taken to wearing yellow on most days to show their support for the King - but now I suspect the difference will be dramatic as people seek to distance themselves from PAD.

edit -> I just stepped outside to have a cigarette, and watched a number of people pass by (about 40). Normally, on Monday, 3 out of 4 would be wearing yellow. Today, that number is 1 out of 4 - and I would be willing to bet that a number of those wearing yellow are doing so out of habit (like me).

:o ...or maybe it's just "Monday - Laundry Day" after wearing those shirts for more than 1 day...?

LaoPo

Not sure how you're getting that impression, but in Bangkok the PAD appear to be more popular than ever.

:o ...or maybe it's just "Monday - Laundry Day" after wearing those shirts for more than 1 day...?

LaoPo

Any takers for my question about the Unions (a page back)? Anybody- Lao Po?- Hammered? It's a serious question- not as rhetorical as it sounds.

Not sure how you're getting that impression, but in Bangkok the PAD appear to be more popular than ever.

I think it should be clear that a noticeable decrease in the number of people wearing yellow cannot be construed to be anything other than people not wishing to be associated with PAD. It does not mean that PAD is getting less popular - it does mean that more people do not want to give the wrong impression.

BTW, in case it wasn't clear - I am in Bangkok.

Edited by onethailand

I think it should be clear that a noticeable decrease in the number of people wearing yellow cannot be construed to be anything other than people not wishing to be associated with PAD. It does not mean that PAD is getting less popular - it does mean that more people do not want to give the wrong impression.

Would that be the "wrong impression" to others who do not approve of PADs behaviour of late?

I would take a noticeable decrease in overt support by way of not wearing yellow shirts as an indication of loss of popularity for PAD. Of course there will be many traditionalists like my wife who always wear yellow on Monday. Tomorrow should tell the full story.

This is very true. I am here in Bangkok and asked a Thai friend which mentioned that some of his friends decided to wear "less" yellow in order to avoid any political discussion about PAD, or people thinking they are behind PAD. BUT in fact they totally support PAD.....just dont want anyone to know when at work....

I haven't seen anything which would indicate an increase or a decrease in PAD's popularity - certainly some people are more likely to express their opinion now, either for or against or neutral - but what Inthai pointed out is an equally good reason - some people just don't want to be drawn into a discussion now.

I haven't seen anything which would indicate an increase or a decrease in PAD's popularity - certainly some people are more likely to express their opinion now, either for or against or neutral - but what Inthai pointed out is an equally good reason - some people just don't want to be drawn into a discussion now.

My impression, but could be wrong, that the people did not change much pro or anti, just they got more strong in their opinion....

someone thinks simillar?

Need your feed back.

Today after shower I mistakenly chose a black shirt instead the usual Monday yellow one.

Well, I did not to change before to go outside and I went in the streets shamefully with my black shirt (farang + non yellow dressed = too much).

To my BIG surprise, all these people who was yellow last week was plain dressed today.

Same at my kids school (private with mostly THAI airways staff children, people who was supposed to be PAD supporters), not more than 10 / 20% of yellow (except the school teachers of course).

Of course, it's not prevention against HM the beloved King, OMY it's just to distinguish themselves from PAD.

What about people avoiding to wear yellow because they are worried DAAD who are now mobilizing and wearing red with their usual violent tactics could start taking it out on people wearing yellow, identifying them ALL as PAD supporters if the sh!t hits the fan?

There 's already a bomb incidenty in a police booth today, same usual pattern as all the previous Bangkok bombs that are conveniently never solved by the police and always somewhat pointing at the pro-Thaksin group. DAAD is not done adding fuel to the fire.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Referendum on PAD interests Justice Minister

(BangkokPost.com) - Justice Minister and People Power party (PPP) deputy leader Sompong Amornwiwat said on Monday that holding a public referendum on the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD)’s seizure of Government House is an interesting option because the government also wants to know how the public think about the situation.

If 40 million out of 60 million Thais vote in support of the anti-government group’s action, the government would have to do something, Mr Sompong said.

On the proposal for the house dissolution, the minister said it is up to the decision of Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej. He said the government, in the meantime, has to monitor the situation closely while trying to resolve it tenderly.

Meanwhile, Democrat party secretary-general Suthep Thuagsuban said his party was showing an honest and direct opinions and ideas at the special joint parliamentary session on Sunday.

Mr Suthep said the Democrat party wants the country to be peaceful, and its aim at the moment is not to administer the country. He said politicians at present need to take public sentiment into consideration, and the country would move forward, should the government stop being stubborn.

The Democrat secretary-general expressed satisfaction with Sunday’s parliamentary even though all of its objectives were not accomplished, but it was not a total failure.

LaoPo

Any takers for my question about the Unions (a page back)? Anybody- Lao Po?- Hammered? It's a serious question- not as rhetorical as it sounds.

Tbh I dont know anything about unions out here. It is a side of Thai politcs I am a bit deficient in to say the least.

Need your feed back.

What about people avoiding to wear yellow because they are worried DAAD who are now mobilizing and wearing red with their usual violent tactics could taking it out on people wearing yellow, identifying them ALL as PAD supporters?

There 's already a bomb in a police booth today, same usual pattern as all the previous Bangkok bombs that are conveniently never solved by the police and always somewhat pointing at the pro-Thaksin group.

Well, I guess the answer to that one would be to stay out of police booths, especially if its Monday and you are wearing a yellow shirt. :o

You should be safe on Sundays though if you wear the traditional red.

What about people avoiding to wear yellow because they are worried DAAD who are now mobilizing and wearing red with their usual violent tactics could taking it out on people wearing yellow, identifying them ALL as PAD supporters?

Given that only about a thousand turned up for the anti-PAD rally, I think you can probably discount this theory - nevertheless, people may not want to "identify" themselves either way.

From TOC:

Finance to Launch Total Revamp of Tax Structure

UPDATE : 1 September 2008

The Finance Ministry is poised to revamp the country's entire tax system in hopes of treating everyone fairly and upgrading Thailand's competitiveness. It has also expressed confidence that foreign investors have not been turned away by the ongoing anti-government protests.

As the local political heat continues to brew, advisor to the Finance Ministry's Fiscal Policy Office Somchai Sajjapong is confident that the demonstrations against the government that have been legally permitted under the rules of democracy should never lead to a coup or a revolution.

He said that, at the end of this month, the FPO would review the country's economic growth projection and would take into consideration political instability.

The FPO currently forecasts that Thai GDP will average between five and six per cent this year.

And in order to strengthen the local economy and enable it to achieve a sustainable growth rate, the Fiscal Policy Office plans to suggest a total revamp of the tax structure, between 2008 and 2015.

The planned suggestion will be presented to Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee for consideration within one week from now.

Somchai declined to reveal the details of the proposal but hinted that changes will happen in all categories of taxes.

He added that the revamped system has been compared with Thailand's trading partners and Asean neighbors and is aimed at treating both the public and the business sector fairly while ensuring a sufficient flow of revenue for the government to help it cope with rising expenditures.

The FPO has estimated that by the year 2015, its expenses would be between 3.4 and 3.5 trillion baht, with its investment budget to soar significantly mainly due to its mega-project plan.

end quote

that means increase taxes