PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

PAD take away official documents senior official

The People's Alliance for Democracy seized all the documents involving hiring, procurement and purchase of government projects kept inside the Government, PM's Office Permanent Secretary Chulayuth Hiranyawasit said Monday.

He added that the officials from his agency went into the Government House to bring some documents out so that they can continue working. They found that those documents had been taken by the PAD.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30082200

----------------------------------------------------

How can PAD just so blatantly get away with this? I'm not a fan of PPP, but am becoming even less of a fan of PAD (though I cheered them on in my own way in 2006). Their being able to get away with so much with so little punishment means to me that they feel protected by someone very very very high up. Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, as I have been known to be a little dense at times. I'm all for a good act of civil disobedience and non-destructive protest, but the PAD has taken things to ridiculous levels and I wonder why it has been condoned the way it has, so far....

Edited by tominbkk

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One aspect of Thaksin selling Man City to deep pocket Dubai is

he has suddenly freed up a BIG PILE O MONEY

to fight for his bigger pile down here.

That makes this all even scarier.

It is understandable that this is the conclusion by many, but I wonder. If the majority of my money was frozen in a country, I wouldn't be so quick as to risk what I had left by sending it into the same country, especially since everyone was looking for it so they could take this as well. Given that Thaksin et. al. have expensive tastes and his trusted nominee has not yet delivered, it would be a very big gamble.

This is not a time for hardliners. Can some people just tone down their rhetoric? PAD is not legitimate, but it represents a very real and very active and very determined slice of the country. Whatever you think of them, they are not going anywhere, so why not enter into a dialogue with them rather than just say and do what PM Samak does...which is nothing of any use to anyone, but pouring scorn. If you refuse to accept the voice of PAD as does the PM, then we are stuck here for a long time. They are unreasonable, but why not at least try to reason with them? And yes, what a wonderful idea about cutting the country in half. Such enlightenened thought. It is no loss to anyone if all sides bow down. Surely ending bloodshed has GOT to be the priority, so what if someone feels as though they have lost face. Its not about anyone winning or losing anymore, it is about the bigger picture.

I think people were trying to reason with them when they were allowed to setup a permanent demonstration. They rewared that by blocking bridges and roads and became more unreasonable. Then after months and months of reason, they decided to occupy NBT with force. To avoid bloodshed they were given another chance to be reasonable so they attacked the police station. Now they occupy the grounds of the Government House and have shut down the rail system and airports. I reason that people are very tired of trying to reason with the PAD.

The People's Alliance for Democracy seized all the documents involving hiring, procurement and purchase of government projects kept inside the Government, PM's Office Permanent Secretary Chulayuth Hiranyawasit said Monday.

He added that the officials from his agency went into the Government House to bring some documents out so that they can continue working. They found that those documents had been taken by the PAD.

The Nation

How can PAD just so blatantly get away with this? I'm not a fan of PPP, but am becoming even less of a fan of PAD (though I cheered them on in my own way in 2006). Their being able to get away with so much with so little punishment means to me that they feel protected by someone very very very high up Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, as I have been known to be a little dense at times. I'm all for a good act of civil disobedience and non-destructive protest, but the PAD has taken things to ridiculous levels and I wonder why it has been condoned the way it has, so far....

Yes, that would be unmentionably high, wouldn't it?

I think there is a big difference between trying to bring down a gov't and trying to bring down an entire country.

And when would PAD be happy? If new elections were called tomorrow and PPP won again, would they continue their protests? I read before that the PAD feel that 70% of the government should be appointed, by whom I can't remember, maybe the military. Not much of a democracy it seems. Of course vote buying on a massive scale is not democracy either.

Such a mess.

I say they kick everyone out of government over, say, 45 years old. Just an experiment. see what happens.

Not commenting on the legality or morality of the action,

but the best way to find dirt on a corrupt government

WOULD BE to hand those exact documents to a small

team of accountants and have them be analyzed.

for graft, nepotisim, rigged bidding etc.

Just saying.

The Nation

How can PAD just so blatantly get away with this? I'm not a fan of PPP, but am becoming even less of a fan of PAD (though I cheered them on in my own way in 2006). Their being able to get away with so much with so little punishment means to me that they feel protected by someone very very very high up. Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, as I have been known to be a little dense at times. I'm all for a good act of civil disobedience and non-destructive protest, but the PAD has taken things to ridiculous levels and I wonder why it has been condoned the way it has, so far....

Because the Thai ANARCHY is almost complete.... :o

post-13995-1220277074_thumb.jpg

But...IMHO...one day all this is going to bounce back to Sondhi cs... he has gone too far now.

LaoPo

Just saying.

Aaahhh, I see, like Watergate ? :o

LaoPo

I think there is a big difference between trying to bring down a gov't and trying to bring down an entire country.

And when would PAD be happy? If new elections were called tomorrow and PPP won again, would they continue their protests? I read before that the PAD feel that 70% of the government should be appointed, by whom I can't remember, maybe the military. Not much of a democracy it seems. Of course vote buying on a massive scale is not democracy either.

Such a mess.

I say they kick everyone out of government over, say, 45 years old. Just an experiment. see what happens.

Quite easy to see the point that you are getting at. Just a shame for that "new generation" of politicians, Mummy and Daddy are likely to be the "Old generation of politicians.

Do you want this guy as the next new PM?

Shinmark2.jpg

incidentally and a tad off topic, whilst looking for a photo of Thaksin Mark 2, I stumbled across this.

The only son of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was caught cheating on an examination Thursday at an open university in Bangkok, local media reported.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0WD...t_2/ai_91081436

Like father, like son.

It is understandable that this is the conclusion by many, but I wonder. If the majority of my money was frozen in a country, I wouldn't be so quick as to risk what I had left by sending it into the same country, especially since everyone was looking for it so they could take this as well. Given that Thaksin et. al. have expensive tastes and his trusted nominee has not yet delivered, it would be a very big gamble.

Yeah but you are talking losing 76 BILLION Baht or 2.3 BILLION dollars US.

Would you

a ) Pull ANY strings you could

b ) spend 10 million dollars

c ) hire anybody you thought could help

d ) advocate massive disintformtation compaigns

e ) manipulate any pilitical party that would listen

To get back 2.3 BILLION dollars~???

The Nation

Yet the Civil Court still maintains there is no reason not to allow the occupation of Government House by the PAD.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The Nation

Aanother nail in PAD's coffin.

Hopefully somebody will get fed up with this and allow the police to do their Job instead of keeping them hamstrung because of overblown accusations of police brutality on Friday.

People need to be made aware that things have changed alot since 1992. For crowd control there are a lot more tools that the police can use that are not lethal and keeps injuries to a minimum.

Run off all the PAD on the outside of the goverment house compound secure the gates cut the utilities

and only allow people out and not let anything or anybody inside.

Such a mess.

Quite easy to see the point that you are getting at. Just a shame for that "new generation" of politicians, Mummy and Daddy are likely to be the "Old generation of politicians.

Shinmark2.jpg

incidentally and a tad off topic, whilst looking for a photo of Thaksin Mark 2, I stumbled across this.

The only son of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was caught cheating on an examination Thursday at an open university in Bangkok, local media reported.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0WD...t_2/ai_91081436

Like father, like son.

I remember that incident very well with "Thaksin Mark 2." Thanks to daddy, he was let off due to a "misunderstanding." The pathetic part, and it reflects greatly on this society, is that every child I was teaching at the Satit-Ram school (located on the university's premise) thought he was a hero for getting by with this. Corruption is king at nearly every level of society here.

Shinmark2.jpg

Like father, like son.

Yes, you have a point there for sure.....hmmm, I need to work out my criterion for who will be electable in my dream Thai parliament! :o

I just wish there was at least one of these leading men that I liked.

In '92 when I moved here I thought Chamlong was cool. Now I think he is a creep. Piggie, Sondhi, and KFC are all loud and conceited. I like the democrats for the most part, they seem fairly respectable, but I probably just don't know enough about them.

Politics anywhere tire me quickly.....here I am exasperated! But at least there is never a dull moment! Beats sleeping through the US Democratic National Convention!

Edited by tominbkk

The Nation

Yet the Civil Court still maintains there is no reason not to allow the occupation of Government House by the PAD.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe it was not PAD. Just someone in a yellow shirt that has been living in the mud the past week with a bad taste in music. :o

Catmac and Lao Po commented on the noticeable decrease in yellow today - and, to be honest, I noticed it too. But tomorrow will tell the real tale - many Thais had taken to wearing yellow on most days to show their support for the King - but now I suspect the difference will be dramatic as people seek to distance themselves from PAD.

edit -> I just stepped outside to have a cigarette, and watched a number of people pass by (about 40). Normally, on Monday, 3 out of 4 would be wearing yellow. Today, that number is 1 out of 4 - and I would be willing to bet that a number of those wearing yellow are doing so out of habit (like me).

:o ...or maybe it's just "Monday - Laundry Day" after wearing those shirts for more than 1 day...?

LaoPo

Any takers for my question about the Unions (a page back)? Anybody- Lao Po?- Hammered? It's a serious question- not as rhetorical as it sounds.

Fine then- I'll give it a try

From Giles U: "The Railway Workers Union and the Thai Airways union have also shown support. The Rail union leaders have never campaigned for hundreds of rail employees who have been on temporary contracts without welfare for decades. The Thai Airways union has ignored military corruption in the airline and in the Airports Authority. Both unions have turned their backs on serious attacks on trade unions in the private sector and are only prepared to take action when people in high places give them the green light."

Thaksin attempted to privatize a large number of these state agencies. One of the reasons he offered (don't laugh now) was that they are corrupt- well- the corruption in state agencies is hardly a state secret- they also, as state enterprises often do- operate as little feifdoms (Yes Minister)

If memory serves one of the early actions of the Sarayuth government was to replace many of the governors of those little fiefdoms with people more to their liking (recall the appointment of Saprang to the AOT).

This may explain why the management of those enterprises has been oddly docile in terms of confronting the unions- it would be a mistake to think that this development is comparable to trade unions supporting the PAD or some kind of genuine worker's movement-

I might be way off base- but if so, I'd like someone to convince me that the involvement of the unions is not motivated much more by the threat to job security in the face of possible privatization (workers)- and snouts removed from trough(management) than a serious committment to 'saving the country'.

Edited by blaze

Just saying.

Aaahhh, I see, like Watergate ? :o

LaoPo

Pretty much yeah. Never a Nixon fan either.

Better than Bush though.

The Nation

Hopefully somebody will get fed up with this and allow the police to do their Job instead of keeping them hamstrung because of overblown accusations of police brutality on Friday.

People need to be made aware that things have changed alot since 1992. For crowd control there are a lot more tools that the police can use that are not lethal and keeps injuries to a minimum.

Run off all the PAD on the outside of the goverment house compound secure the gates cut the utilities

That will be the nail in other coffins, if there are clear informations about corruption in this documents.

Such screaming IRONY

Cheat sheets were found in the possession of Panthongthae Shinawatra, a third-year undergraduate student

of Ramkhamhaeng University's Faculty of Political Science, when he sat for a mid-term exam

in a course on political systems analysis , according to a supervisor of the exam hall.

Daddy's little prize can't even listen to conversations around the house enough

to understand 'political systems' and his old man is Prime Minister...

Or maybe the cheating is so endemic to the family discussions

he thought THAT WAS NORMAL in political systems.

Seems his 2002 plans for join politics got derailed...

Edited by animatic

The Nation

That will be the nail in other coffins, if there are clear informations about corruption in this documents.

If I stole government documents in my country, it would be the nail in MY coffin- that's for sure. I sincerely hope that those rationaling this act will offer the same rationalization for the country boys who steal state documents once the Democrats have assumed power.

Edited by blaze

From the Bangkokpost

Among the true believers

CHADAMAS CHINMANEEVONG

Samak Sundaravej is never at a loss for words. ''PAD? They are just a bunch of gangsters, a street mob,'' says the fiery prime minister.

But walk among the thousands of people who pledge allegiance to the PAD and one sees a more nuanced picture, with middle-aged office workers cheering alongside elderly housewives, while wealthy socialites chat with singers and actors.

Why have these people come to sleep on the streets, endure dust and rain, fierce winds and poor sanitation under the PAD banner? Why are they willing to risk life and limb in an idealistic, but possibly futile attempt to overthrow an elected government?

When rank-and-file members listen to PAD leaders' briefings on how to cope with tear gas or pressure from the plastic shields of riot police, what are they thinking?

A 56-year-old motorcycle garage owner, who gave his name as Pongsakorn, said he was ready to die and spill blood for the country.

''This would be honour for my family. If the solution is violence, I believe that people here are ready,'' he said seriously. ''Today, bad guys gain encouragement because good people sit around. So, we must help together.''

Mr Pongsakorn journeyed from Chanthaburi with his friends. They have slept in tents on the sidewalk for three days. All watched ASTV, PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul's TV station, for months before coming to Bangkok last week.

Another PAD sympathiser, a female retiree, said plainly that she felt she was fighting for the future of Thailand.

''I am here because I am fighting for the country, not for Khun Sondhi or Khun Chamlong [srimuang] like many people said,'' she says, her Gucci sunglasses askew as she runs along with the crowd. ''It's too bad there are so few students today. I think idealism is missing among today's younger generation.''

Truly representative of the Thai population. I don't think anyone could have highlighted the elitist nature of the PADisters better. Many thanks.

Edited by catmac

The Nation

PM's Office Permanent Secretary Chulayuth Hiranyawasit said

And you buy that story just like that?

Let's see what NBT says on this and then what the other news sources say.

What if I told you they took over PBS, channels 3-5-7-9 bangkok Post and Matichon half an hour ago?

More acusations without proof, not even mention of a security video backing this accusation?

Edited by Tony Clifton

The Nation

If I stole government documents in my country, it would be the nail in MY coffin- that's for sure. I sincerely hope that those rationaling this act will offer the same rationalization for the country boys who steal state documents once the Democrats have assumed power.

Remember Daniel Elsberg and The Pentagon Papers.

They did try for a long time to prosecute him,

but in the end only the Pentagon took it up the heiny.

The Taksin's have VERY expensive tastes...this is just some spending money for them to get through the tough times. Also, I'm not from England, but I was wondering if there would be some pressure from the "powers that be" over there for him to get the heck out of the beloved institution of football. (English members please enlighten me and share your thoughts) I could be wrong, but in the US, I don't think that people who jump bail are allowed to own professional sports teams.

Yeah but you are talking losing 76 BILLION Baht or 2.3 BILLION dollars US.

Would you

a ) Pull ANY strings you could

b ) spend 10 million dollars

c ) hire anybody you thought could help

d ) advocate massive disintformtation compaigns

e ) manipulate any pilitical party that would listen

To get back 2.3 BILLION dollars~???

Don't get me wrong, I think he will promise the moon to get his money back, but I don't think he is going to be quick to plow any large amounts back into Thailand anytime soon (other than paying his legal fees, of course). Let's face it, he has already pretty much tried everything you suggest above, and his court cases continue to mount. In addition, his nominee has not yet delivered and everyone will be watching the usual suspects.

It will be interesting.

The Taksin's have VERY expensive tastes...this is just some spending money for them to get through the tough times. Also, I'm not from England, but I was wondering if there would be some pressure from the "powers that be" over there for him to get the heck out of the beloved institution of football. (English members please enlighten me and share your thoughts) I could be wrong, but in the US, I don't think that people who jump bail are allowed to own professional sports teams.

Thaksin no longer owns a professional sports team, in case you haven't already noticed...

From the Bangkokpost

Among the true believers

CHADAMAS CHINMANEEVONG

Samak Sundaravej is never at a loss for words. ''PAD? They are just a bunch of gangsters, a street mob,'' says the fiery prime minister.

But walk among the thousands of people who pledge allegiance to the PAD and one sees a more nuanced picture, with middle-aged office workers cheering alongside elderly housewives, while wealthy socialites chat with singers and actors.

Why have these people come to sleep on the streets, endure dust and rain, fierce winds and poor sanitation under the PAD banner? Why are they willing to risk life and limb in an idealistic, but possibly futile attempt to overthrow an elected government?

When rank-and-file members listen to PAD leaders' briefings on how to cope with tear gas or pressure from the plastic shields of riot police, what are they thinking?

A 56-year-old motorcycle garage owner, who gave his name as Pongsakorn, said he was ready to die and spill blood for the country.

''This would be honour for my family. If the solution is violence, I believe that people here are ready,'' he said seriously. ''Today, bad guys gain encouragement because good people sit around. So, we must help together.''

Mr Pongsakorn journeyed from Chanthaburi with his friends. They have slept in tents on the sidewalk for three days. All watched ASTV, PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul's TV station, for months before coming to Bangkok last week.

Another PAD sympathiser, a female retiree, said plainly that she felt she was fighting for the future of Thailand.

''I am here because I am fighting for the country, not for Khun Sondhi or Khun Chamlong [srimuang] like many people said,'' she says, her Gucci sunglasses askew as she runs along with the crowd. ''It's too bad there are so few students today. I think idealism is missing among today's younger generation.''

Truly representative of the Thai population. I don't think anyone could have highlighted the elitist nature of the PADisters better. Many thanks.

Yes. This is so surreal. A bunch of rich people sitting in the mud listening to protest style music and wailing in support of installing a military government. :o

The Nation

IF it is so, can you legally throw around accusations with illegally obtained documents? The only way finally to ever uncover the ongoing government scams. :o

Anyway, up to now it's still just talk from PM's Office Permanent Secretary Chulayuth Hiranyawasit, probably involved himself in a scam or two already. Nothing but mudslinging without proof so far, let s see what else they come forward with on this. NBT will be all over it like Oprah on a glazed ham.