PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

I am concerned that so many people here are using short term thinking in regard to what is happening. Thaksin was more corrupt but so were other Prime Ministers. I suppose size matters to some. Most of the previous military PM's fled after stripping the nation's coffers. Going back to the 30's, if my memory of Thai history serves me, the forerunners of the Democrat party were found to have looted royal palaces after the coup. Chamlong himself was once royally rebuked for his involvement in the last bloody protests in Bangkok. The man has an ego, as does Sonthi, and that is what is leading us down this road once again. using corruption as the reason is a poor conceit.

I think you'll find it is actually a massive power struggle between two powerful groups for very high stakes. There are lots of pawns involved. The PAD are not even one of the main players although they are at times close to one.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is just one example of one facet of the whole political struggle going on. And as you can see, neither side (as far as these two individuals concerned) could give two bits as to what the outcome is in terms of the "greater good of the poor/keeping the poor down" "Thaksin being brought to justice/brining Thaksin back to power" or the "fight for democracy."

:o

Well said Heng.

Regards

Hunkey Dorey

:D

ok.

interesting read..

>> but its only half a story !!

police were deployed.... and the story ends!!! WHAT HAPPENED ?? !!!!!

were all the protestors arrested? did the police win? did the protestors beat the police?

i mean,, come on,, if they are gonna report a story so big as this and say that hundreds of police were deployed to the scene, then at least tell us what hapened next!!!!

if anyone knows,, please put it here,, thanks :o

Assuming (and I admit that it is rather a large assumption) that the protest is allowed to go on and that there is no large scale violence, this could actually play out extremely well for the government.

The PAD seem to be going beyond the boundaries of Freedom of Assembly as stipulated in Article 63 of the Constitution (such assembly must be unarmed to be lawful for starters), and by disrupting routes both into and within the capital they are doing nothing to ingratiate themselves with the bulk of the population who just want to get on with their lives - especially so in Bangkok which is the PAD's "heartland".

According to the press it seems that some NBT staff are being held captive, so you can pop kidnapping on the list of alleged offences.

Taking over a state agency (assuming that's how NBT is classified) and storming the metropolitan police HQ. Treason? Possibly. The PAD certainly seem to be guilty of sedition, but I don't know if that's a crime here, as it is in many western democracies.

To those that liken the PAD protests to popular public protests elsewhere in the world, a reminder. The PAD is still a minority group; it does not have the support of the majority of the population. That it is so visible for a minority group is the result of the money it has behind it and the fact that its founder owns a media empire - it can punch well above its weight. Remember too that the PAD's idea of "democracy" is for 70% of MPs to be selected rather than elected. The PAD is fighting against democracy; not for it. Fighting against corruption? Corruption is being fought in the courts, as it should be, not on the streets outside the rule of law.

This is not some altruistic attempt to save the country from a despot; it is a pure and simple power grab by force after failing to attain power for its allies by legal means.

Stay safe everybody.

Who is behind these holigans and paying them? I believe its against the law to advocate the overthrough of the government.

It actually is treason, what they are doing is against the law. Samak has to be firm and show his power today. Let them know who is in charge of the country. Enough is enough.

Suggest you check your dictionary as to th meaning of treason.

Negotiate !! They should be busting heads.

sorry but you come across as a complete idiot. were the police to react in that way, the violence would escalate and there'd be a catastrophe at hand. and people would die.

Apology accepted.

i wasn't apologising to you. that was for the rest of the forum's benefit.

Duh, really? Ever heard of sarcasm? :o

I am concerned that so many people here are using short term thinking in regard to what is happening. Thaksin was more corrupt but so were other Prime Ministers. I suppose size matters to some. Most of the previous military PM's fled after stripping the nation's coffers. Going back to the 30's, if my memory of Thai history serves me, the forerunners of the Democrat party were found to have looted royal palaces after the coup. Chamlong himself was once royally rebuked for his involvement in the last bloody protests in Bangkok. The man has an ego, as does Sonthi, and that is what is leading us down this road once again. using corruption as the reason is a poor conceit.

????? The dictator shoot on unarmed people while Chamlong was in jail. It might be difficult to argue why Chamlong should be responsible for that.

These people are a pain in the arse. Protests never solve anything.

Learn history......From France, Russia to Cuba and and and all was done by protests....

Then followed by terror . ...

End of child labour, end of racial segregation, end of apartheid,

independence of the United States, religious freedom, the 8 hour working day, free unions,

These people are a pain in the arse. Protests never solve anything.

Learn history......From France, Russia to Cuba and and and all was done by protests....

I think you are confusing protest with revolution. But a more apt set of comparisons would be Romania, Italy and Spain in the 1930s.

The PAD is fighting against democracy; not for it. Fighting against corruption? Corruption is being fought in the courts, as it should be, not on the streets outside the rule of law.

This is not some altruistic attempt to save the country from a despot; it is a pure and simple power grab by force after failing to attain power for its allies by legal means.

Stay safe everybody.

Indeed wonder if these muppets realize that they are advocating an oligarchy? :o

Assuming (and I admit that it is rather a large assumption) that the protest is allowed to go on and that there is no large scale violence, this could actually play out extremely well for the government.

The PAD seem to be going beyond the boundaries of Freedom of Assembly as stipulated in Article 63 of the Constitution (such assembly must be unarmed to be lawful for starters), and by disrupting routes both into and within the capital they are doing nothing to ingratiate themselves with the bulk of the population who just want to get on with their lives - especially so in Bangkok which is the PAD's "heartland".

According to the press it seems that some NBT staff are being held captive, so you can pop kidnapping on the list of alleged offences.

Taking over a state agency (assuming that's how NBT is classified) and storming the metropolitan police HQ. Treason? Possibly. The PAD certainly seem to be guilty of sedition, but I don't know if that's a crime here, as it is in many western democracies.

To those that liken the PAD protests to popular public protests elsewhere in the world, a reminder. The PAD is still a minority group; it does not have the support of the majority of the population. That it is so visible for a minority group is the result of the money it has behind it and the fact that its founder owns a media empire - it can punch well above its weight. Remember too that the PAD's idea of "democracy" is for 70% of MPs to be selected rather than elected. The PAD is fighting against democracy; not for it. Fighting against corruption? Corruption is being fought in the courts, as it should be, not on the streets outside the rule of law.

Stay safe everybody.

Perfect. Wish I'd said that. Very nicely written Meerkat.

The PAD is fighting against democracy; not for it. Fighting against corruption? Corruption is being fought in the courts, as it should be, not on the streets outside the rule of law.

Stay safe everybody.

Indeed wonder if these muppets realize that they are advocating an oligarchy? :o

precisely

Stay safe everybody.

I doubt it. I didn't until I looked it up and it is my mother tongue!

Stay safe everybody.

I have a feeling that we have gone beyond the PAD having to worry too much about a few breaches of law. Someone has let them off the leash. They wouldnt just do this off their opwn back without some backing. I dont think here the PAD is the main actor. It is what happens after today that is important. The last few days have seen the stakes raised by all. DSI committee stuffed with obvious Thaksin allies, ditto BoT board, revenuegate etc and now the response the PAD is let off of the leash. The military reshuffle list could be critical to what happens next. If there is an attempt to stuff that expect the government to face big problems. I also think Samak is in well over his head now and will probably as usual try to do nothing. In the short term that may work but the amount of time he has to remain sat on the fence is getting less. I dont think this is about democracy or electoral politcs now if it has ever really been. Now it is a power struggle to the end betwen Thaksin's allies and his powerful enemies of which the PAD is not the main player. Right now I wouldnt want to predict what will happen next. It is becoming a very fluid situation.

????? The dictator shoot on unarmed people while Chamlong was in jail. It might be difficult to argue why Chamlong should be responsible for that.

Sorry - seems the royal authority knew more than you.

its founder owns a media empire - it can punch well above its weight.

(i dont know so much about this story or PAD)... so the PAD founder owns a media empire? really? do you know which papers or media he/she owns? is it based within thailand? and if so,, do you know if they continually print and show anti-government stuff in their papers?

Stay safe everybody.

I doubt it. I didn't until I looked it up and it is my mother tongue!

Seems to me that the current governement (and I use this phrase loosely) is an oligachy - a form of government in which only a small group of people hold all the power, for example a nominee and a discredited ex PM .

Edited by Artisi

I see the all resident pundits in socio-political science obviously with a specialty in S/E Asian studies have crawled out from under the carpet and weighed in with their 2 satang worth.

The insightful and discerning observations are truly mind wobbling, as are the helpful hints on what should be done. I for one, am certainly glad you're foreigners and have less than ZERO say in what actually happens in this country. Of course the witty dissertations and verbose language is a tedious read at times, as is plodding through endless posts of drivel by both the hawks and the doves.

Don't get your panties in a twist, let the diminutive ever smiling thais sort it out; after all it is their country, hence the appropriate name-> "thai-land". Also don't forget (depending on how you count 'em) the glorious "Land 'O Thais" has had at least 10 successful coups and 7 abortive attempts BEFORE the 2006 ouster of Thaksin. It's the status quo, so suck it up & deal with it.

You guys get keyed up way too easily. As the thais say, "Don't t'ink too mut"; everyone knows it can hurt your brain, IF you actually have one.

Stay safe everybody.

I have a feeling that we have gone beyond the PAD having to worry too much about a few breaches of law. Someone has let them off the leash. They wouldnt just do this off their opwn back without some backing. I dont think here the PAD is the main actor. It is what happens after today that is important. The last few days have seen the stakes raised by all. DSI committee stuffed with obvious Thaksin allies, ditto BoT board, revenuegate etc and now the response the PAD is let off of the leash. The military reshuffle list could be critical to what happens next. If there is an attempt to stuff that expect the government to face big problems. I also think Samak is in well over his head now and will probably as usual try to do nothing. In the short term that may work but the amount of time he has to remain sat on the fence is getting less. I dont think this is about democracy or electoral politcs now if it has ever really been. Now it is a power struggle to the end betwen Thaksin's allies and his powerful enemies of which the PAD is not the main player. Right now I wouldnt want to predict what will happen next. It is becoming a very fluid situation.

TOC is reporting that arrested protestors carried weapons.