Samak To Invest In Torquay United?

Sunderland

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSSP2448272008092

Sundaravej bids for Premier League glory with league minnows

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30am EDT

By Samuel Murray

samak.jpg

TORQUAY, England (Reuters) - Under pressure Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej announced Tuesday that the wheels were in motion for him to invest in the English football association club Torquay United. Torquay, affectionately known as The Gulls, currently play in the fifth tier of English football known as the Conference National.

Torquay, a seaside resort town in the county of Devon in south-west England, would on the face of current circumstances appear to be an unlikely choice for Mr. Sundaravej. Speaking to foreign reporters after discussing the current politcial problems in Bangkok, an upbeat Mr. Sundaravej revealed, "I have been looking for an opportunity to invest in an English football club and this chance has arisen. While there are many things to discuss with Alex Rowe and the rest of the Torquay board of directors, I am very hopeful that we can conclude a quick takeover agreement within the next three weeks. It is my aim to take Torquay United all the way to the Premier League."

Meanwhile, the current chairman of Torquay United, Alex Rowe, confirmed that talks were ongoing with Mr. Sundaravej's representatives and he was equally hopeful of substantial investment in the struggling club. "I am sure all Torquay fans will welcome this news. Though we have to be cautious at this stage, the possibility of major investment within the club gives our club the chance of not only gaining financial stability, but also a great opportunity to win our place back in league two."

It remains to be seen if the deal will actually go ahead, especially at a time when former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's future as owner of Manchester City comes under daily scrutiny in the British media.

Edited by Sunderland