Picking Up Lost Coins

12DrinkMore

I always pick up coins I find on the street. But I get the impression that the Thais will just walk past and not bother, especially for 1 Baht coins.

My GF said that I should only pick up coins if it's "heads" up, otherwise some bad luck could come my way. I pointed out that it is surely not right to leave a coin with "heads" down out of respect. " :o ", she said, hadn't considered that aspect.

I always pick 'em up. Someday might get rich. :D

I always pick up coins I find on the street. But I get the impression that the Thais will just walk past and not bother, especially for 1 Baht coins.

My GF said that I should only pick up coins if it's "heads" up, otherwise some bad luck could come my way. I pointed out that it is surely not right to leave a coin with "heads" down out of respect. " :o ", she said, hadn't considered that aspect.

I am not rich yet but I always pick them up it's money after all

I make a point of dropping 50 satang coins in front of teacup and thithi

I make a point of dropping 50 satang coins in front of teacup and thithi

wait wait ..let me get the PoP corn, Round 1 is about to start..!!!!

Are you kidding me? Growing up as a kid I could not pass a pay phone without checking the coin return. When dummies leave coins downstairs at the clothes washing machines & RO water I still get a kick out of it.
Thats funny, i too remember bashing hel_l out the button "B" .anyone else ?

Are you kidding me? Growing up as a kid I could not pass a pay phone without checking the coin return. When dummies leave coins downstairs at the clothes washing machines & RO water I still get a kick out of it.
Thats funny, i too remember bashing hel_l out the button "B" .anyone else ?

Yes, me too and I still pick up all coins too. It's supposed to be lucky! i.e. an old saying -

See a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck!

Whatever you do, don't stop a rolling coin by stepping on it.

You are stepping on the king.

You are stepping on a coin! Coincidentally it has an image of the King on it there for you should pick it up and put it in your pocket (even though that is the nearest place to your genitalia that you could put it).

"Mind the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"........... of course I pick up all coins...... and for some people here, picking up the occasional coin is probably the most exercise they get, other than stemming their beer glasses and drawing on their fags..... :o

"Mind the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"........... of course I pick up all coins...... and for some people here, picking up the occasional coin is probably the most exercise they get, other than stemming their beer glasses and drawing on their fags..... :D
:D just joking and as you said about pennies and pounds I just call them dollars and cents :o

Whatever you do, don't stop a rolling coin by stepping on it.

You are stepping on the king.

You are stepping on a coin! Coincidentally it has an image of the King on it there for you should pick it up and put it in your pocket (even though that is the nearest place to your genitalia that you could put it).

Images of his Majesty should be treated with respect; and standing on the image is not going to be well appreciated by any Thai people; nor will throwing pictures or books with his picture around for instance.

Typically if you drop a note and have to stamp on it to stop it flying away, a Thai person would apologise to the note representing the image (in the same way I guess as we go to church and pray to the front of the church even though god, if I understand Christianity correctly, could be all around us or out to one side or in heaven wherever that is er, above us?) and traditionally this is done by waiing 3 times to show respect similar to going to a temple.

Obviously don't expect a foreigner to necessarily do this, but that is the custom for the 'did you know' basket ;-)

in the case of the coin, most people would not need to stamp on it to stop it; I see nothing wrong with picking up the coins; most of the Thai Chinese I know would pick it up....I guess we know why some people have money and some dont' aye!

Some American guy said to me yesterday another day another dollar. I guess he should be the one picking up the coins, 1 dollar is like 34 baht; that is nothing, I earn more than that every minute! Poor bloke.

I never realised that American investment bankers are paid so little these days :o

Edited by steveromagnino

me too. i'm saving for a mia noi.

"Mind the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"........... of course I pick up all coins...... and for some people here, picking up the occasional coin is probably the most exercise they get, other than stemming their beer glasses and drawing on their fags..... :o

I can't pick up coins. He77 I can't even bend over to tie my own shoes cause I'm so dam_n fat.... I really should exercise more...

I can't pick up coins. He77 I can't even bend over to tie my own shoes cause I'm so dam_n fat.... I really should exercise more...

I enjoyed some of the comments about being a scrooge , but then are we realy when we pick up discarded/lost coins ? I pick up the same today as i did when a boy , but i also collect the washers , nuts , bolts , screws etc , i keep them all in a bag and amaze myself sometimes how usefull these 'Treasures ' can be .

Too fat to fold eh ? Now that you have made that confession , follow it up with a daily routine , look in the mirror every day and tell yourself face to face " I am a fat-ass , what am i going to do about it today ? " when you agree with yourself the pounds (kilos) will start to diminish , most overweight people have convinced themselves they are happy as they are , BUT IS YOUR BODY HAPPY ? No offence meant , just call it concern for a fellow human .

Since I get around CM primarily by bicycle, I do pass a number of 1 baht coins on the streets but when traveling at 25kph or more, I pass them by. I will definitely stop (safely) for 5 or 10 baht coins. If I am riding slower and traffic allows, I will pick up the 1 baht coins and add them to my coins that I donate to the blind performers.

Thais believe that money lost ,had a purpose in being lost.

too bad that they don't follow that for golf balls....as those unfortunately stuck behind a thai 4-ball would wish... :o

How about behind a 5 ball at Muang Cow. !!!!!!!! Fore

Picking Up Lost Coins, do you do it?

Rarely. I just let them roll. Especially as I have a hard enough time as it is getting rid of coins.

I don't like to give exact change because I'm always trying to gain ground with taxi money - 20's and 50's.

So I arrive home from shopping and dump coins into several Thai silver bowls (the ones with characters surrounding).

The small coins go in the large bowl. Useful coins (5's and 10's) go in a smaller bowl.

If I need any small change to top up (like for the maid's McDonalds... long story...) then I raid the small bowl.

Or if I'm headed out and don't have enough 20's, I raid the small bowl.

The large bowl (around 15" wide x 10" high) is almost full and I'm wondering what to do with the contents.

Part is from travels offstation, so useless in Thailand.

Looks great in a bowl though...

Edited by desi

Picking Up Lost Coins, do you do it?

Rarely. I just let them roll. Especially as I have a hard enough time as it is getting rid of coins.

I don't like to give exact change because I'm always trying to gain ground with taxi money - 20's and 50's.

So I arrive home from shopping and dump coins into several Thai silver bowls (the ones with characters surrounding).

The small coins go in the large bowl. Useful coins (5's and 10's) go in a smaller bowl.

If I need any small change to top up (like for the maid's McDonalds... long story...) then I raid the small bowl.

Or if I'm headed out and don't have enough 20's, I raid the small bowl.

The large bowl (around 15" wide x 10" high) is almost full and I'm wondering what to do with the contents.

Part is from travels offstation, so useless in Thailand.

Looks great in a bowl though...

Like to go bowling sometime? :o

Thais believe that money lost ,had a purpose in being lost.

too bad that they don't follow that for golf balls....as those unfortunately stuck behind a thai 4-ball would wish... :D

How about behind a 5 ball at Muang Cow. !!!!!!!! Fore

stopped going to muang kaew since the lunatics took over the asylum..... :o

I picked up a 10 bob note as a lad and took it home and gave it to my dad who immediatly got out of his chair and said he would take it back to its rightful owner, later that night he came in drunk with fish and chips,..ive kept findings ever since ! :o

Thanks for the belly laugh that gave me .