Seeking Statistics On Thai Visas/work Permits Issued

I have given this issue a run in the visa forum but few bites over there, so I thought (mods permitting) that I would try amongst the free-ranging and enquiring minds here

I am trying to obtain statistics on the number of various types of Thai visas and work permits currently issued, e.g. how many type O, B, etc

Have had a quick search in TV and in google, Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site, etc, but no luck so far.

Today I visited the Dept Immigration and was told that visa stats are "secret" and normally only provided in response to an inter-departmental request. They also said that any such stats would certainly not be current ones, ie. maybe figures from last year. Work permits are another dept. but they felt that those stats would be not for public release.

It must be possible to get these figures are you occasionally see them noted in media articles, certainly in relation to work permits (where I am sure I have seen the figure of 50,000 for valid work permits in BKK alone)

Would anyone be able to point me to somewhere (preferably online) where I could get this info?

Many thanks for your time

- CB

There are some older statistics, july 2000, available for PDF download here www.econ.chula.ac.th/publication/journal/2001/cje130202.pdf

The breakdown of statistics start at page 34.

I've seen more recent statistics published online but can't recall where.

Here is another link to the national statistics office. There are 39 downloadable population and labor excel tables.

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/stat/subject/toc1.htm

# TABLE 1.25 NUMBER OF RESIDENT ALIENS IN THAILAND BY REGION, CHANGWAT AND SEX: FISCAL YEARS 1998 - 1999

# TABLE 1.26 NUMBER OF RESIDENT ALIENS IN THAILAND BY NATIONALITY AND SEX: FISCAL YEARS 1996 - 1999

# TABLE 1.27 NUMBER OF ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES CLASSIFIED BY SEX: FISCAL YEARS 1985 - 1999

# TABLE 1.28 NUMBER OF ARRIVALS CLASSIFIED BY NATIONALITY: FISCAL YEARS 1996 - 1999

# TABLE 1.29 NUMBER OF DEPARTURES CLASSIFIED BY NATIONALITY: FISCAL YEARS 1996 - 1999

# TABLE 1.30 NUMBER OF ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES CLASSIFIED BY MODE OF TRANSPORT: FISCAL YEARS 1985 - 1999

Edited by Farma

Hey Farma. Both sets of stats relate to 1999, but it's a great start.

Thanks very much for taking the time to dig this out. :o

I met with Ministry of something or other a few months ago, off the top of my head there were something like 700-900,000 foreigners employed and registered here, of which something like 50% were of the non work permit regional neighbour kind (Burmese maids etc) and for some reason the number of either 250,000 or 350,000 is sticking in my head as work permit holding.

But I cannot for the life of me remember which one it was.

Thanks Steve.

Ok, in the event that anyone else is looking, here are the work permit stats up to end of 2007 (National Statistical Office)

http://service.nso.go.th/nso/nso_center/pr...00000_00400.xls

Still nothing at all in relation to stats on visas issued (broken down by visa type). Anyone?

Thanks Steve.

Ok, in the event that anyone else is looking, here are the work permit stats up to end of 2007 (National Statistical Office)

http://service.nso.go.th/nso/nso_center/pr...00000_00400.xls

Still nothing at all in relation to stats on visas issued (broken down by visa type). Anyone?

it may also not include extensions; just issueds.