Reality of a remote it office in bkk

jasonc

The longevity of my stay in Thailand wholly depends on my ability to test the notion that I can tele-compute from anywhere in the world...

I have read that many of you can get ADSL to your room. Some have iStar... Do any of you have static IP addresses? does anyone have a VPN connection to Europe or America? If so how stable is it?

I will be in BKK at the end of the month. I am wondering about my options... I could really use some advice from my peers...

My requirements:

Good connection as fast as possible 256K download and slower upload acceptable.

Static IP

Need to get the connection to a secure area (don't want my computers stolen)

Want a comfortable space to work in

I can either get a NICE condo and work from my room. (25,000+  Baht). What areas can I get the DSL line to? In the States one building may get DSL and the one across the street can not. How can I know before I lease a room?

Or should I get a basic 3,000 Bath room and hire a office space.

Is there a something like an incubator style office set up. A place where I can rent a single room with office furniture and a good chair shared T-1 or faster and shared fax and copy center. A place to network with others that are also working the remote office?

Is anyone using a VoIP system? We have a new digital PBX phone system that should in theory allow me to have an extension of our "home" office phone in BKK over the static IP. This would mean that I will have a US based number and my calls will be placed from the US office. Panasonic ensured me it will work fine but I want to hear some real stories.

I have done my homework on researching the seamless remote office and it should work.

-- Jason

Yeah, I basically have the same goals and will be testing things out later this month, arriving in Thailand around 07/21 and staying until 08/08.

I'll be specifically trying out the VoIP idea (using a broadband connection to place high quality voice calls back to the US through Vonage.com) and connecting back to my client's desktop PC back in the states using my laptop and connecting via PC Anywhere.

Anybody with any experience along these lines, please feel free to share your experiences...  

I'm also wondering if my clients are back in the US and I have no Thai customers, as long as I am simply doing a little work here and there from my hotel room or condo, what are the tax (and visa) consequences, if I were to do it for an extended period of time?

Doug

For information on ADSL in Thailand: http://www.adslthailand.com/

For "IT Incubator", you could check the software park in bangkok:

http://www.swpark.or.th/Aboutus/location.asp

Not sure your description of business, will fit into their definition ... let us know.

For static IP, I suspect this will cost you ... can't you just rely on Dynamic DNS (like this one www.dyndns.com) ?

I assume you are looking at a cheaper alternative than a co-location or Dedicater server hosting, right ?

Thank you singa-traz. Good info! The software park is exactly what I was asking about however after a weekend of consideration I think working from my room will be better. That said that ADSL will be the best option. The adsl web site was in Thai so it will be a few more months until I can read it... Does anyone have a static IP address with your ADSL connection??? I need it for a secure point-to-point connection. DHCP will not work for me.

Also, has anyone had experience with availability in neighborhoods? I would rather be in a middle or even lower class thai neighborhood than in Sukhimvit but I bet the infrastructure is better in the ex-pat hoods and thus more likely to have a reliable connection. Am I right? How about around the universities? I would like to live around there if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Does anyone have a static IP address with your ADSL connection??? I need it for a secure point-to-point connection. DHCP will not work for me.

I work on  US government project that has recently been relocated from the US to Thailand.  In setting up the office, I have procured what you are looking for -- ADSL with 16 actual static IPs.  The cost is not cheap and I am not sure if you can get a static IP assigned with 'residential' service (much like the US), but if you can sign up under your company name, I don't see how it would be a problem.

We are using KSC (www.ksc.net.th) and have been very very happy with the service so far.  Our office is in the Silom area if that helps.

I too am looking to pipe in some high speed at home and am shopping around so will let you know if I found good residential deals.

This works fine with the IPStar Satellite system I use. (satellite both directions)

I have a fixed IP address with that

I can connect to pc's in the UK using PC Anywhere or Remotely Anywhere.

For telephone services I use net2hpone.

I'm just looking for a company that will route a voice call to an IP address and I'll be content.

• 1 month later...
Guest IT Manager

vonage does the voip stuff. Otherwise use VOIP asand make the calls using USB phone.

They are expensive at 3500 baht but #### us IT puppies live on megabucks.

ITM

btw expensive at 3500 = LOL

ITM - thanks for your input - but -

Vonage appears to be an american company.- they offer a virtual phone number BUT you must be an existing punter - a bit difficult if you live thousands of miles from them!!

I want a company that will redirect a UK or European phone number to an IP address.

I don't need a usb phone as I already use a headset + mic with net-to-phone which allows me to call from Thailand to Europe and the US for only 4 cents a minute (1.64 baht per minute) It is certainly far cheaper than any of these phone cards that are being offered here!

So if anyone else has come across a company like vonage in the Eu then please let us know!

I read a while back that the CAT was looking into blocking VoIP (they mentioned blocking specific 'ports') because of falling revenues from International calls. Anybody heard anything more?

I know that some South American countries have implemented blocks, has it been possible to stop VoIP?

Thanks

James

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IT Manager
CAT have been threatening various nasty solutions to their ignorance for a while but so far none have materialised. If they are able to block VoIP they will be the first to do it successfully, and the period between things that Thai people do successfully for the first time without having a foreigner to guide their dinty hands, is quite large (read: it has never happened, why should it change now). I think you are pretty safe.