State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

I was too young to stand for anything in 1992. So that is not applicable. I have stated time and again that I do not support PAD, but I do support peace. I believe we need to clear the way for peace and since the PAD are not going to accept anything - and bloodshed will continue - we have to at least dismantle PAD peacefully, and the government needs to step down and we need to find a way forward from there onwards. There is no use bleating about how wrong PAD is, in many ways they are very very wrong, but the facts remain that they are going to continue. So what are the options? Confrontation? Well, sorry, I am Thai, I do not support bloodshed of my pepole...or option two - for the government to make a sacrifice. This government is hardly the victim, let's not forget that most people in Thailand who get to hear unbiased media, will agree that this government has a lot to answer for and is corrupt to the core. There is no right here. They are both wrong. But as I said, PAD will not step down, so the government has to.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand's election commission to seek dissolution of ruling party

BANGKOK, Sept. 2 (Xinhua) -- Thailand's Election Commission on Tuesday voted unanimously to seek the dissolution of the core ruling party People Power Party (PPP) with the Constitution Court. The resolution came on the same day PPP leader and Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej declared a state of emergency be imposed in Bangkok following violent clashes between pro-government demonstrators led by the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) and anti-government protesters led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) during the first two hours of Tuesday near the Government House compound.

The EC based its resolution on the vote-buying charges against PPP's former deputy leader and former House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat. Yongyuth resigned as House Speaker this April facing the charges. Later in early July he was convicted by the Supreme Court and stripped of his seat in the House of Representatives, thus paving the way for the EC to move further to seek dissolution of the PPP. The EC decided that the PPP had to be held responsible for Yongyuth's wrongdoing according to clauses in the 2007 Constitution, which the PPP had sought to amend after it won the December general election and formed a coalition government with five other parties. The EC is expected to soon file a suit with the Constitution Court, asking the court to dissolve the party. The resolution coincided with a declaration of the premier earlier in the morning to impose emergency decree in the capital following after-midnight violent clash between the DAAD and PAD, which left at least one person dead and dozens injured which the PAD supporters have occupied since Aug. 26 in early hours of Tuesday.

The emergency decree was aimed at breaking a political impasse since the PAD launched its street protests on May 25 to demand the step-down of the Samak government, which the PAD called a proxy of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra. However, the EC's resolution added to the confusion as to what to become of Thailand's political reconciliation prospect.

The PAD was known to support the EC as members of it, who were appointed by the junta after the Sept. 19, 2006 military coup ousted Thaksin, has pushed through charges against PPP members.

Speaking to the neighbour whom I have known for 10 years, and is a furvent watcher of ASTV and even more furvent anti-PPP/TRT, she had absolutely no idea about this 70:30 proposal and absolutely no idea about Sondhi's previous financial wranglings with Thaksin.

She is a lovely woman, probably the typical PAD supporter, but she has no idea of any possible underhand agendas behind these protests.

yes because the 70:30 was a proposal nothing more.....long time forgotten...

Still waiting for PAD to denounce it and propose something new. Let me know please.

Speaking to the neighbour whom I have known for 10 years, and is a furvent watcher of ASTV and even more furvent anti-PPP/TRT, she had absolutely no idea about this 70:30 proposal and absolutely no idea about Sondhi's previous financial wranglings with Thaksin.

She is a lovely woman, probably the typical PAD supporter, but she has no idea of any possible underhand agendas behind these protests.

Hey, when you are proposing to overthrow governments, public comment and action is fair for discussion irrespective of when it is made (in July 2008, and August 2008). It is a measure of someones beliefs. I don't see any retractions being printed.

If that is the case, why would anyone want to know and discuss about Samak's role in demonstrations 25 years ago or is that not relevant.

PAD shuts down Surat Thani Airport

The People's Alliance for Democracy have sealed all entrances and exits at Surat Thani Airport and declare their intention to shut down the airport's runways to use as a rally site against the government.

People's Alliance for Democracy members in Surat Thani province conducted a demonstration at Surat Thani Airport by blockading incoming and outgoing routes to the airport, as well as entrances and exits to terminals. Vehicles, airport staff, and local citizens have been unable to enter or leave airport grounds.

The Director of Surat Thani Airport, Mr. Chamnong Sarn-Aksorn (จำนงค์ สารอักษร) said that he has bolstered security and increased safety measures at the airport, following the PAD's seizure of airport runways for use as a rally site. Local authorities report that the general atmosphere remains orderly, with a continuous caravan of People's Alliance for Democracy supporters from various districts in Surat Thani arriving at the airport.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 September 2008

I was too young to stand for anything in 1992. So that is not applicable. I have stated time and again that I do not support PAD, but I do support peace. I believe we need to clear the way for peace and since the PAD are not going to accept anything - and bloodshed will continue - we have to at least dismantle PAD peacefully, and the government needs to step down and we need to find a way forward from there onwards. There is no use bleating about how wrong PAD is, in many ways they are very very wrong, but the facts remain that they are going to continue. So what are the options? Confrontation? Well, sorry, I am Thai, I do not support bloodshed of my pepole...or option two - for the government to make a sacrifice. This government is hardly the victim, let's not forget that most people in Thailand who get to hear unbiased media, will agree that this government has a lot to answer for and is corrupt to the core. There is no right here. They are both wrong. But as I said, PAD will not step down, so the government has to.

I think turning off the electricity to their stage and TV station would be peaceful. Like you, I believe no more blood. Everyone go home. Its over.

High ranking police and army officials meet

High ranking police officials from the Royal Thai Police are meeting at the Metropolitan Police Bureau in order to discuss the current political situation, following the Prime Minister's implementation of the Emergency Decree within the Bangkok Metropolitan area earlier this morning.

The Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Patcharawat Wongsuwan (พัชรวาท วงษ์สุวรรณ), traveled to meet with the Army Commander in Chief and high ranking police officials led by Deputy Royal Thai Police Commissioner General Pol. Gen. Wirote Phahonwet (วิโรจน์ พหลเวชช์). Investigative officers from the Nang-Loeng (นางเลิ้ง) Metropolitan Police precinct were present at the meeting to report on their progress in investigating last night's clash between the People's Alliance for Democracy and the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship. The incident caused several fatalities and injuries, and police are expediting investigations to gather evidence and witnesses.

The Public Relations Department of the Metropolitan Police Bureau have limited media coverage of the meeting, and asked reporters to await a formal press conference by high ranking police and army officials.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 September 2008

This is so funny :o

All the sexpats are getting into something that is not their business.

Get a life all this is typical Thai rubbish

Wkakakaka, hahaha, they're good talkers, but they cant walk the walk and do sh1t to change the world...

anyways, the protest thing here are annoying the sh1t of out me, was suppose to have school today with anticipation to present my new craft to the entire class, and the PAD/pro-gov had just to fuk that up.

Just to be ignorant, i'll head down to Paragon and get a fancy hair cut today.... hmmm, what another day

I wasnt here when the last coup occured. Can any one tell me how much this will affect life around BKK in the next couple of days ? Are there places that should be avoided ? Should we stay in our homes ? Will everything be shut tomorrow ? SHOULD I BE PANIC BUYING NOW ?

Cheers,

Perhaps being prepared may be the best plan of action. If you haven't much food in the house now is the time to stock up. As PAD is threatening to disrupt the utilities that supply water and power, it's prudent to purchase water and flashlights. Need a prescription filled, do it now. Need money, hit up the ATM. Generally, stay away from any area where violence may occur. Develop a plan to stay in contact with family and friends if the situation deteriorates or if you become separated from one another. Charge up the cell phones.

If events take a downward spiral, it may be several days, if not more, before normality returns. Be prepared.

He has to play his role in the game like anybody else, and his role is to show that actions like that can't succeed. For the sake of future ( uhhh ... maybe now I sound naiv ) maxi

if you think your sound naive i agree. samak is playing the role of a stringpuppet. the name of the game seems to be puppet theater and his role is correct: peaceful civil disobedience is not tolerated by his puppetmaster in manchester. it has to be broken by all means or turned into disgusting bloody violence. all for the sake of a bailjumping fugitive, not much left over for his people or for the sake of the future, like you try to call these outdated feudalists.

:D:o

That is just the thing, it is not forgotten. Any proposal as radical as that is not going to be forgotten. Sondhi himself must be aware of this being brought up in foreign news over and over again. If it is not a proposal he would do well to come out and

disassociate himself from it.

But that would be totally against the flow of his rhetoric. Just from the rhetoric itself it is very difficult to tell what is a proposal, a vendetta, a hoped for vendetta, a personal conflict , a strategy etc.

The banner today says the "Last War". If I was at that rally today, my reply would be sorry not my blood you are going to be spilling. This is a movement on the brink and it is not looking for a peaceful end.

Sondhi is going for boom or bust.

Still waiting for PAD to denounce it and propose something new. Let me know please.

denounce what?? That they spoke once about the idea?

Just thought this bears repeating:

The 70:30 proposal by PAD is just that - a proposal. For it to become law, it requires a democratic act to abolish democracy, barring some unilateral action by a coup-maker. The PAD are in no position to make the rules.

Just because the PAD is (or isn't) successful in removing Samak from office does not automatically mean that a 70:30 proposal will become law.

Another election does not stop these problems. They will lose again and protest again and say "Mr. New PM is Khun Thaksil's side". How many years already? They don't care how the new person comes up by what means. They will protest until the people they like come up to be PM.

I think turning off the electricity to their stage and TV station would be peaceful. Like you, I believe no more blood. Everyone go home. Its over.

Yes, I quite agree with you RCM.

I only want my thai friends to live for another day and continue on some shaky road to democracy.

They have a long way to go but it pains me to think of them going back to a dictatorial past.

Stop the fighting and killing.

~WISteve

Democrat Party believes influential figures caused clash between PAD and DAAD

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ) called a meeting of Democrat Party members of parliament in order to assess the nation's current political situation, following a recent clash between the People's Alliance for Democracy and the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship which resulted in several casualties and the implementation of the 2005 Emergency Decree by the government last night.

Following a 2 hour long discussion, Mr. Abhisit conducted a press conference to announce the Democrat Party's condolences to the victims of last night's clash. Mr. Abhisit also said his party believed last night's incident occurred due to the manipulation of influential figures who wished for violence betweeen PAD and DAAD protesters. The Democrat Party leader also believes that the Prime Minister's decision to convey full authority to the Army Commander in Chief to handle the nation's political situation was an attempt to shift responsibility.

Mr. Abhisit adds that, in his capacity as leader of the opposition party, he has no further appeals to the Prime Minister, but affirms that Mr. Samak and the government must take responsibility for recent violent political events. Mr. Abhisit asked the Army Commander in Chief to resolve the nation's political situation peacefully, justly, and rationally.

I have no real interests in politics, however it seems to me that funding from protests come from somewhere, both sides, people that protest also have to pay bills etc. .

So therefore the people behind the protests either side have false pretences and motives of stirring up the people.

The cheapest army are the common people (this has nothing to do with income), easy to manipulate and use, light to miss.

This most likely will lead to a civil war or political military enforced control with limited guerilla warfare, this will ensure that measures such as making extremely tight laws and monitoring/controlling the residents are taken, alliances will be formed with other countries to "battle" these anti social groups.

Leading to a drop in economics to allow these alliances out of so called necessity to provide for man made crisis aid.

Banks will be broken and taken over by e.g. world bank, radical measures will be taken on people, our side live, other side cut off supplies (or worse).

You will see this process in many more countries in the coming months/years. all going toward one global economy and authonomy.

Maybe it is just a distraction to keep the attention away from something else,...

Or maybe my name leads me to think to much,.............

For short, political unrest mostly always leads to victims.

People that get hurt are always someone's children, and loved ones.

Thailand is a nice country, but indeed filled with corruption (not different from the west, only better visible).

The understanding for the poor not to vote is logical out of a child's mind because now parties pay the poor to vote on them disregarding political views, buying votes is not a democratic foundation.

However this will not solve the issue at hand.

Corruption must be stopped, prices must be regulated, working and education programs must be revised and opened.

Rich Thai could show the love for their country by investing in this, it is the task of the strong ones to help and support the weaker ones.

Money is handy, but it will get you nowhere when it has lost value. Therefore one must always try to reach beyond that and focus on the better things in life.

And now back to the real world,... we are coming back to Thailand in November and December we will be staying in the south near Ranong and Chumphon (our home) up to now as i understand not much going on there,... any live views from one of you guys and girls?

(ps.Because of economic rescess in Europe and other countries as well i believe the Thai Baht will stay about the same in comparisation.)

Do we want democrasy in Thailand?

The government is elected by the thai people. PAD is trying to overthrow a legitimate government with force and install a dictatorship, because that is what it will become when someone take the power by force.

I have no opinion whatsoever about any political party in Thailand and I do not mind a political party demonstrating and viewing their opinion about things they beleive is wrong.

But riots and entering official buildings, closing airports etc, is not democracy, it is a criminal act against the thai peoples will.

PAD should do as any other party in any democratic country. Wait for next election and take over then, if the people wants them. After this incident I doubt.

What they are doing today is not for the good of the thai people, it will only hurt them tremendously for long time to come. What right do PAD have to use force to inforce their ideas against an elected government and the thai people.

I will probably receive hundreds of angry answers. Like it or not, this is the only way to have a functioning democrasy.

I like your post.

But blind people claimed that Khun Samak bought votes. Who said they didn't buy votes? They once came up because "the eel on skate" bought votes, but they didn't know how to develop Thailand. Thailand would die if these people ran the country.

Who printed 20 million extra votes (1/3 of population) and burnt a bunch, so no one could ever check how much they actually printed and what they destroyed. These are talked on NBT Channel.

After all things they did, they still could not win Khun Samak.

Despite the corruption in Thailand I beleive it is not worse than it could be solved in time and peacefully. Thailand is a young democracy and the road is long and troubled. Compare to Mexico where corruption is probably 10 times higher and I beleive that country is beyond salvation.

Vote buying does not belong in a democarcy, neither is bribes and political violence, but the only way to get rid of these problems is to gradually have the thai people voting for leaders less corrupt and more honest. When the political leaders understand they can win with honesty, that is what will happen. Meanwhile the country can continue growing to the best of all thais. As for now I do not think anyone will gain anything positive, no matter how this mess ends.

I honestly do not beleive that PAD is free of corruption so a change to new government will probably not get things better at this time.

Sondhi is going for boom or bust.

That's exactly right. If he loses, it's criminal trials and the likelihood of prison time. If he suceeds, Thailand will be overseen once again by an authoritarian regime, with either a military general or Sondhi or Chamlong at the top.

NBT is anything but neutral. If it is, why has there not been ONE interview from a PAD supporter for over 100 days. Not one. NBT is glaringly biased. As is ASTV. ASTV is privately owned and subscription based, which allows it to be whatever it and its fans want it to be. NBT is paid by the people, it has no right to be taking sides. Which it so obviously is. Last night it had government officials being interviewed urging the red lot to come into Bangkok to support the government. Is this in anyway calming the fires? Just look at ThaiVisa, with its polar opposite views from each member. The passion and the conviction is so strong here, think what it must be like for people who are actually born and bred in this country,[/b] who are on the streets being roused by rhetoric and acts of aggression. If you lot can't see the woods for the trees, try to understand that it would be even harder for those actually participating. There is so much wrong, and there is too much righteousness. That is why I have said from the start that while I do not support PAD, the government must be the bigger man, must be the sensible party and step down. And we can calm the situation and then start rebuilding. This is not giving up, not giving in, it is simply sensible and necessary to stop further bloodshed. But then I suppose you won't agree with me, so we are all back to our righteous indignation. Sad times.

Jiang Mai:

I could not agree more. I and my wife are in the USA...We do have Thai TV....She was at the rally in 92 when so many students were killed and wounded....She hates the corruption in Thailand and especially Thaskin for what he and his government did to "her" Issan.

Tonight she has a bed role on the floor in front of ASTV....she is hanging on exactly everything that is happening to the protesters. She has asked me for over a month for money and a ticket so she can go back and join Sonthi in the protest.

We have been married since 96, and actually I am quite proud of her passion for politics. Here was a typical Issan farm girl, literally no education, that became the #1 woman in her village, runs several farms, and 1 business, and when we visit her "home" people and relatives come from miles around to listen to her advise and judgment.

Yes the emotions and passions do run high with people about this....and while we sit and discuss as the foreigner maybe we should pay a little attention to the words of the Thai national anthem.....it is certainly not a song of peace on tranquility.

I think you are the perfect person to ask this of. And I ask in all sincerity because I am trying to understand. Does she not know about the PAD proposal to limit democratically elected officals to be only 30% of the government? Does she know and not care? The popular belief is that PAD proposes this to keep Isan from electing corrupt candidates because they are not smart enough to know better. In 1992 what was she protesting for?

Yes she does indeed know....however, this principal has been seldom stated, and I do not put a lot of value on it. It does not seem to be a bedrock of the PAD.

However, I have listen to my wife stand up and lecture village people in 3 different languages about how stupid they are to sell the votes for 200 to 500 baht. She even had a big go-around with the pu yi ban, as he was the one bringing money. from what I could understand she told him if he did not quit it, she would buy everybody in the village and have him replaced... :o

(he is aware she has a lot more money than he does).

I do not see PAD as moving to take power, but both of applaud the getting rid of the corrupt people in government...(maybe not in my lifetime) but people like Thaskin MUST pay for the crimes they have committed, and I do see a change in the upper court system....the little courts have a long way too go.

Here's an article that a mate working in the UK just sent me :

ONE UNLOCKY SOD

Mr Thedginald Bigwart of Spearling Downs, Hampshire, was absolutley over the moon when he won a holiday for 4 to Amazing Thailand at his annual summer work raffle. "I have never taken the family on a holiday, so this will be just amazing."Mr Bigwart was quoted as saying "And I've been very interested in Thai culture ever since we started eating thai food when a thai restaurant opened in our village" he went onto say. "I won't be able to take my holidays during summer but have arranged for the kids to get off school and we'll be going in the first week of september, it's going to be a dream come true."

When the political unrest started in Thailand towards the end of August, Mr Bigwart hurried to his travel agent who quickly explained to him how fortunate he was that his particular type of ticket was able to be exchanged, unlike the majority of prizes won in competitions, although nothing could be done regarding the accomodation package. So Mr Bigwart decided to fork out 250 pounds and pay for the accomodation to his newly re-itineried holiday, due to leave September 1st, to New Orleans, USA.

Mr Thredginald Bigwart, you are one unlucky sod!

Edited by bloody tiger

Mae Moh power plant employees head to Bangkok

Hundreds of employees of Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) at Mae Moh power plant in Lampang have left for Bangkok to join anti-government protesters, following the violence on Monday's night.

Egat staff Somchoke Chanthong, also a PAD leader in the North, said about 20 buses are heading to bring 1,000 workers from to Bangkok, with funding from the employees.

"We originally planned to be there on Wednesday but the labour union urged us to take leave today following the violence. We would meet members of other labour unions and PAD supporters at the Royal Plaza," he said.

He also vowed to convince officers at the power plant to cut off power if state officials resort to violence or let others hurt PAD members.

"The power cut would affect the public and be against the law. But it's necessary if officials use violence against the PAD. We'd rather be arrested than allowing the public to get hurt. I believe that the majority of people would understand," Somchoke said.

Phien Yongnoo, president of the Metropolitan Electricity Authority's labour union, is prepared to ask Army chief General Anupong Paochinda to tackle the violence, or the union could cut power supply to the offices of the Royal Thai Army, the Interior Ministry and the Defence Ministry tomorrow.

He said on Tuesday that Anupong could have Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej resign or dissolve House of Parliament. If Samak is defiant, the Army must stage a coup d'etat and form a national government.

Phien also noted that the state of emergency is unnecessary. He noted that if violence worsens, the union is ready to join the People's Alliance for Democracy's protest.

Source: The Nation - 02 Septemebr 2008

Police beef up security at Hat Yai airport

Hat Yai, Songkhla - Police beefed up security at the Hat Yai International Airport here following speculation that supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy would stage a blockade to the airport.

About 100 policemen were deployed to keep security at the airport and some PAD supporters have arrived.

Source: The Nation - 02 Septemebr 2008

Effectively outlawing political parties is about as undemocratic a move as can be done. I would question whether or not this decision or enforcement thereof is by written law, or simply by edict and political will.

It's the law: If the executive members of a political party are convicted of electoral fraud their party is dissolved by way of penalty. PPP knew this going into the election, they had been dissolved for cheating in the previous election, and they did it again anyway. The purpose of this law is to encourage free and fair (democratic) elections. Is that undemocratic?

If the courts keep enforcing this law then eventually the message will sink in and Thai political parties will begin to toe the line. That will be a major win for democracy in this country.

This really is the crux of the current issue.

PPP is trying desparaitly to change the constitution for it's benefit,

because of this constitutional law on party dissolution.

Their guy got caught and convicted. He was on a top level PPP position.

It is a race against time:

From getting caught, to EC commitees, to EC judgement ( like today's) ,

to court confirmation of EC decisions, and finally court apeals, and final ajusdication

and if ALL goes correctly, based on original conviction, dissolution.

It is a long process,

which incidentally would/should make it fair to all,

IF the laws could NOT be re-written by the party in power,

and ONLY by a full country referendum needing 66% or better to over ride.

And if the referendum was monitored by an international coalition numbering in the 10's of thousands not dozens.