Interrupted Stay In Thailand On Non-imm O-a (long-stay) Visa

Hello,

I have applied for the non-immigrant O-A long-stay multi-entry visa for late September arrival. I will only be in Thailand for about seven months straight, leaving at least twice to travel in Asia, well within each 90-day reporting periods. Two questions:

1. Each time I re-enter Thailand, the 90-day clock starts again, correct? (Which means I do not have to go to the nearest immigration office because I've already done this at the border on re-entry?)

2. I will return to Canada in mid April 2009 for five or six months before going back to LOS in the fall, 2009. What do I need to do to keep my visa. Looks like whatever I do, it has to be before the one-year visa expires. Can I renew/extend/reapply outside of Thailand? Or can it only be done in Thailand via an extension of stay?

Or should I try another visa type?

More important: I want to thank everyone who has been so helpful on visa questions.

1. Each entry starts a new 90 day clock.

2. Each entry during the first year provides a one year permitted to stay until stamp (new from entry date each time)

3. If your entry after home visit of seven month will be later than visa expiration date (one year from date of issue) as it seems it will be, you should obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving to keep your most recent permitted to stay until date alive - you would then return using the re-entry permit as your visa.