"ban Gatherings Of More Than Five People" - Meaning?

Steele404

Under the state of emergency declaration, gathering of more than 5 people are banned.

Does this mean you are not allowed to commute in groups of 6 or more? Or host events and parties that involves people?

Or does it specifically means that you are not allowed to discuss politics or have gatherings which involves politics?

Under the state of emergency declaration, gathering of more than 5 people are banned.

Does this mean you are not allowed to commute in groups of 6 or more? Or host events and parties that involves people?

Or does it specifically means that you are not allowed to discuss politics or have gatherings which involves politics?

Did you read the whole decree? It seems pretty clear to me.

Did you read the whole decree? It seems pretty clear to me.

And Me .

It means that you can't have over 5 people at your table at the bar. If there are more than that, then the rest should be in the toilet, which is only a problem if that exeeds 5.

The same with playing sports, like basketball and football.

God, I hope they limit the number of people in the elevators at the malls!

I think that the missing word here is "public". For example, "a public gathering of more than 5 people". Being in a bar is not "public". You are on private property.

I think that the missing word here is "public". For example, "a public gathering of more than 5 people". Being in a bar is not "public". You are on private property.

Right, sounds good, I'll be on Patong beach tomorrow. Any more than 5 Speedo touting lard <deleted> and I will call in the BIBS. And five is too many. For the whole of Asia.

Right, sounds good, I'll be on Patong beach tomorrow. Any more than 5 Speedo touting lard <deleted> and I will call in the BIBS. And five is too many. For the whole of Asia.

I think you will find that any place where the public are allowed can be considered a public place during hours of operation , places where you are only allowed by invitation would be considered private . So six 'Public ' people huddled together in a bar could be constrewed as an illegal gathering . Any corrections on this please ?

Oh for shits sake! Many countries already have a law like this in place.

If you wish to misconstrue it, indulge yourself. If you wish to be sensible about it, it simply means that a group of people can't "publicly" be seen to be causing or preparing to cause, trouble. Of course, what the authorities consider to be a potentially "trouble causing" group, is up to them.

If people in private locations (on private property) were considered to be potential "trouble", I think that many of these suspect places (bars?) would be closed by now...& I guess the idiot Thai legal system (or should I say "illegal" system) would be able to do this.

Closing a bar will do nothing to stem the tide of "trouble causers". It will simply move them to a different location (underground).

Edited by elkangorito

Oh for shits sake! Many countries already have a law like this in place.

If you wish to misconstrue it, indulge yourself. If you wish to be sensible about it, it simply means that a group of people can't "publicly" be seen to be causing or preparing to cause, trouble. Of course, what the authorities consider to be a potentially "trouble causing" group, is up to them.

If people in private locations (on private property) were considered to be potential "trouble", I think that many of these suspect places (bars?) would be closed by now...& I guess the idiot Thai legal system (or should I say "illegal" system) would be able to do this.

Closing a bar will do nothing to stem the tide of "trouble causers". It will simply move them to a different location (underground).

I did raise the possibilites of interpreting this ruling rather tongue in cheek on another thread but yes I agree with your broad view of the way it is intended to be implemented. Provided you avoid gatherings of people making what looks like protests particularly if they are wearing yellow/red shirts and waving sticks/swords you should be okay.

However never misunderestimate (thanks Dubbya, that's a cracker :o ) the BiB's penchant for using vague rules to swell their wallets. Unlikely in Bangkok as they've a lot on their plate right now but you never can predict how they'll twist it to their advantage elsewhere. Still I don't think 6 expats at a Pattaya beer bar would constitute a threat to Thai democracy. In fact right now, as somebody has said, any bar owner would classify 6 customers as manna from heaven.