Google Chrome Released (new Browser)

Veazer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internet explorer i stopped using years ago and moved over to firefox. Today i downloaded Opera 9.5 and so far it is running sweet with no problems, i was considering 'google chrome' but i will see how this Opera continues to work...

I'm using Google Chrome right now. Downloaded it (takes barely a couple of minutes to download and install). It imported my faves so I was able to pop right to TV (had to log in again).

For the most part, it seems to work fairly well so far. Got to spend some time learning the features. It offers to remember passwords. It uses tabs at the very top of the browser. Pages (on TV) seem to load a bit faster than they were with IE.

I'll play with it for a bit and see what it does (or doesn't). It's free and easy to install, so what the hey.

I downloaded, tried it out and made it to my standard browser fast. It is a very slim program, very proffesional tool. Google is great and becoming maybe dangerous with the time, but right now they doing a famous job.

• goolgle search
  • google earth
  • google mail and now chrome

fast download and very fast on the web, enjoy

I'm using it now. Seems quite good.

Can't change the default search from Google.co.th to Google.co.uk (changed it in options and doesn't seem to have had any effect).

Problem with the javascript on our home page (not working - I'll have to look into that)

I like to click the mouse wheel to scroll up/down through site pages - doesn't seem to work in Chrome.

Options are quite light - would like to be able to click a link without jumping straight to a page.

Apart from that seems quite good. As mentioned before light and fast and I like the tabs at the top of the page.

I just downloaded and tried it out. It seems okay, but I saw right away that it only imported a small percentage of my bookmarks from FF3 in the initial install. maybe I need to run an import script. It seems to rely more on 3rd party add ons .. a concept which I personally don't like. So far, the only 3rd party add on I have for FF is "no script".

I have Opera, FF and IE 7 installed, and won't try IE 8 until they have wrung out all the bugs. One thing I like about IE 7, it renders test nicer than any of the other browsers, IMO.

Though I have to test my websites in several browsers, the new version of Opera is nice. They finally started saving web pages with the files in a folder rather than spread all over my desktop.

Chrome, okay .. maybe .. certainly not a "home run", just my opinion.

Very impressed with it so far...super-fast and at least on the sites I frequent without rendering issues. Still need to keep Firefox for its addon goodness, but if a community develops around this one also, it could be huge.

I really wish Google had done this whole browser-thing differently. Instead of making a new browser they should have focused on supporting existing browsers like FF with technology like V8.

I don't think Chrome will be converting many IE users. They will most likely be eating <deleted> market share, as FF users are more critical and know how to install alternative browsers.

It seems to me like Chrome and FF will be fighting over 25%-30% of the market share.

Excuse my ignorance, but is this a standard facet of the EULA?

"11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services."

Just wondering, as I have no idea. It seems a bit over the top to me.

Cheers,

BFD!

Very fast, shame it does not render text as well as ie7.

As for CSS issues, I haven't found any yet, but I am sure there will be some :o

If it had the google toolbar as standard, and no facility to remove it, I would have immediately uninstalled !!

Had a look at the homepage, it seems to have nice features, and the multi-processes architecture should make it very stable (if one application in a tab crashes, other tabs are not affected).

But does it have mouse gestures (they don't say anything about it)?

Had a look at the homepage, it seems to have nice features, and the multi-processes architecture should make it very stable (if one application in a tab crashes, other tabs are not affected).

Nope, not even middle-click support...it's definitely not for Opera fanatics :o

But really, I haven't been able to stay away from it ever since I installed it, I think they've managed to make a truly transparent browser, you literally don't feel it's there!

I did notice that some content does not render/appear in Chrome that does when viewed with IE7 or FF on pages I am very familiar with. Example, on the homepage of the Wall Street Journal, the page rendered with Chrome is missing a substantial amount of content. So maybe best to view most of your regular or important sites with FF for a few weeks till most sites tweak their code to render properly in Chrome.

Last night I finally got around to ditching IE and installed FF3.01 and it was a great improvement in speed, apart from having to install all these add ons etc. Now I just got Chrome, bye bye FF3 its a deal faster for sure..... cleaner interface and in-built functions that I would have to spend a few hours hunting for to add to FF if I knew they were available and could understand the implications and possible bugs. Chrome is point and shoot.

Oz

Firefox is still number one for me and Opera is a pretty close second. I also have the Beta IE 8 and am not impressed. Google has the means and support to improve Chrome and will likely do so but it won't be my main browser as it is.

Nope, not even middle-click support...it's definitely not for Opera fanatics :o

But really, I haven't been able to stay away from it ever since I installed it, I think they've managed to make a truly transparent browser, you literally don't feel it's there!

I will not install it yet then. Can't go back to a browser without those features.

A friend tried it and told me that for the first time in years his pages are full of adverts.

It doesn't support Ab blocking software or plugins, like Ad Muncher or Ad Blocker.

I also haven't seen an ad in years.. I'll wait until AdBlocking is supported...

Which will probably be NEVER as we all know how much Google relies on Adverts as a profit center.

AD-Free Forever

CS

I also use Adblock for Firefox, but quite frankly, even with ads pages load quickly and the overall experience just feels...right. I think that you guys need to try it and make up your mind based on that. On paper, there are many reasons to stick with Firefox...but in actual usage, it makes Firefox look like a hog!

OK.. Using Chrome to type this....

First... I see NO ADS on the Thai Visa page. :o:-)

Second... I don't like the Bookmarks.... All Bookmarks are listed alphabetically, except Folders are mixed with pages, instead of keeping all folders on the Top of the list and unfiled pages under the folders... and I can't find any way to change this setting and resort the listings.

Third... Spell check doesn't seem to allow additions to dictionary... In this Post it marked 'unfiled' as misspelled... no way to add it to Dic.

Otherwise I've not opened any other pages yet.. only this tab...

More comments later, as I test it out.

CS