Google Chrome Released (new Browser)

Veazer

Started using Chrome today and very impressed. It loads extremely fast, seems quite light, having one combined url/search box makes sense. I like it and will probably stick with it. There's a few small rendering issues but hey, its a beta.

I think this is going to knock a bit hole in other browser market share very quickly. A shame about Firefox, but frankly V3 is pretty clunky.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not enough Options available for tweaking...

I'm really NOT liking the Bookmark system.

My First impression.. "Not Yet Ready for Prime Time".

I think I'll stick with Avant as default.

Maybe Chrome will get the kinks out and be more User friendly in the Next version.

But definitely more interesting to me at the get-go than Firefox.

CS

I've been trying to play with the bookmarks ever since I d/l'd Chrome this morning.

Now that I've been able to play with it a bit, it's (slightly) better.

Click on "Other Bookmarks" then click on a bookmark (or folder) you'd like on the tool bar, then drag and drop it to where you want. Do the reverse to get rid of unwanted bookmarks/folders from the tool bar. Can't have a bookmark/folder on the toolbar and in another location at the same time apparently. I put my most commonly used favourites on the toolbar and left the rest in "Other Bookmarks".

Sorting them in the "Other Bookmarks" folder is a pain in the butt though. I can click on a bookmark/folder and drag it to where I want, but as soon as I "drop it", the window closes. Then I have to start from the beginning to move the next bookmark/folder. Doesn't seem to be a way to open the window and keep it open until your finished.

The tabs at the top are move-able, so if you have multiple tabs and would like to re-order them (for ease of switching from one to another) you can just click on it and drag it to where you want.

The spell checker checks words as you go along (underlining them with a squiggle like MSWord does). How ever, right-clicking on a misspelled word gives you options, except for the option to "add to dictionary" or use a different language (but you can change the default language settings in the "Settings/Options/Minor Tweaks" window (have to close the browser and reopen it for the new settings to take effect).

If you are like me, and like to have multiple windows/tabs open at the same time, this could be useful, though I am used to just having seperate windows open for each page.

I tried it but I had something strange happen. There is a satellite TV discussion forum I frequent and they have some heading like the one here on TV (My Controls, View New Posts, etc). I always click on one that says 'Quick Links'. It's there if I open it in Firefox, but not in Chrome. :o I also wouldn't want to go without my Scrapbook extension. But it's an early beta--could turn out great!

Guest Bellini

I won't use Google Chrome yet to read ThaiVisa. When I want to display the new posts of a topic it works correctly if I just click on the little icon next to a topic title to display the new posts in the same window:

post-59279-1220521596_thumb.png

But when I hold down the Ctrl key while clicking on the icon, to display the next screen in a new tab, only the bottom of the page is displayed:

post-59279-1220521898_thumb.png

And the selection box "Manage Current Attachments" is displayed on the left instead of the right:

post-59279-1220522089_thumb.png

Excuse my ignorance, but is this a standard facet of the EULA?

"11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services."

Just wondering, as I have no idea. It seems a bit over the top to me.

Cheers,

BFD!

They've updated the EULA. I guess that's their way of saying "Oooops! Sorry we tried to own you."

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

Full article is here: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/upd...s-terms-of.html

Hi :o

I tested it at the office (Windows) and it worked great, a bunch faster than Firefox in fact.... but now at home i can't use it because the installer (i've got a standalone installer) won't open in Wine (i'm on Linux).

Hope they make a Linux-Version soon......

Thanh

Loving it so far. Lightweight and really fast. I didn't have that many add-ons when using Firefox so I don't really miss them, apart from FireBug. Chrome seems to have a Javascript debugger built in but documentation is a bit thin on the ground looking around.

I did start having memory issues yesterday after 6hrs of usage and needed to reboot.

Biggest gripe with Firefox was the time it takes to start up and (properly) shut down. Doesn't seem to be an issue with Chrome at all.

Also interesting to see Google has a link to download straight from google.com - this could be a serious contender to take over the IE market.

I tried it but I had something strange happen. There is a satellite TV discussion forum I frequent and they have some heading like the one here on TV (My Controls, View New Posts, etc). I always click on one that says 'Quick Links'. It's there if I open it in Firefox, but not in Chrome. :o I also wouldn't want to go without my Scrapbook extension. But it's an early beta--could turn out great!

Yeah I use another forum and the menu options are different / dont work..

I think its the java implementation.

Guest Bellini

Let's help Google improve Chrome. When you come across a bug click on the "sheet" icon at the top right, then on "Report a bug or broken website..." and tell Google about it. I have made 4 reports already.

Another negative.... When opening Chrome it reloads the locally cached page when it opens a bunch of tabs that have been saved from a previous session...

Meaning that if you are loading the Bangkok Post as one of the Tabs, it will load yesterdays page, not todays, if the last time you refreshed the page Tab was yesterday.

Avant, Maxthon, IE and I assuume Firefox (which I don't use) will go and get the current page, not load an old outdated page from the Cache.

Another pain.... Slowly I'm deciding that the negatives out-weigh the Positives.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

It's beta version 0.2something. Give it a break.

Like I said earlier in this thread...

"Not yet ready for Prime time."

and certainly not the 'Second Coming' of browsers...

Chrome has a way to go just to catch up.

I've now stopped using it entirely... Just too much of a pain for the user.. not enough ease.

I'll wait for the Final release before trying it again.

CS

while the user experience is important, here is some under the hood stuff for the more technical folks in the audience.

Chrome is not really "new" as such. Chrome is basically just the interface logic(tabbing etc...) and their new Javascript engine V8(which is open source).

The core rendering logic uses an open source engine called WebKit , which will please all you Mac lovers as this is what Safari uses.

The V8 engine is particularly impressive, for sites that use alot of Javascript(more and more common these days), you will definitely see performance gains.

The science behind this being in 3 main areas....V8's approach to storing/retrieving object properties is implemented using a fixed memory offset approach , javascript is dynamically compiled to machine code instructions rather than interpreted each time, memory management is improved with a more aggressive garbage collector.

Bookmarks are awkward to use, no autocomplete, spell checker has no learn function, no ad block and it doesn't remember text size settings. I agree that is is NOT ready for prime time. Perhaps they released the beta a little too early.

I uninstalled it already - see no use for it against Opera+FF+IE.

V8 javascript engine sounds interesting, but I see reports of misrendered pages, like the attachment box on TV. How does Chrome report to the websites? So far they catch only FF and IE and very rarely Opera, which has only minor differences with FF but enough to screw up sites like yahoo mail, or gmail.

Basically, there are no features, it would be a nice barebone browser to have on USB stick, but it needs a full installation for now.

I'm using Google Chrome right now. Downloaded it

A real shame it is for MS Windows only ...

+1 about it being windows only. I haven't tried it because I don't have a windows box but can't imagine what it could do that beats a more mature browser like firefox. I think it will take google a lot of time playing catch up before it can compete. Then again I haven't used it.

I thought it would be nicely integrated with Gmail and all other google thingies, but it isn't.

And Google toolbar has more features than this browser.

So far it works, and that's probably enough for the moment, but you need a lot more to take on Firefox or even IE, or it will end up in obscurity just like MSN browser.