Google Chrome Released (new Browser)

Veazer

Those complaining about lack of features ought to go back and read this article/documentation/comic: http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

If after that you still don't understand why this browser is radically different then, by all means, just keep using what you're using now.

Edited by Phil Conners

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those complaining about lack of features ought to go back and read this article/documentation/comic: http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

If after that you still don't understand why this browser is radically different then, by all means, just keep using what you're using now.

No one is disputing that Chrome is using (choose one) a new... or updated... or different... technolgy, in it's browser.

The issue is useability and the user's experience.

We all use a browser almost constantly, and for a lot more than just surfing the web.

All the top browsers have their positives and negatives, and each of us has her/his (his/her) preference....

Personall I think ______ Sucks.... (Fill in the blank with your current choice)....

But all of them have the basics that provide an intuitive and comfortable level of useability and customization.

The components missing from Chrome, are reflective of the current Google attitude that they can almost get away with anything, due to their size and popularity with the masses.. Earned or unearned... Tech Geeks or Sheep... A page out of Steve Jobs book on "How to Screw your Market Base and still Get Away with a Pile of Money", (revised version to include latest iPhone release)... it's all Up 2 U...

The bottom line is Consumer useability.. If it takes too much effort to do what you do on a daily basis, then very soon the sleek GUI will not cover up the underlieing lack of basic features... and in this connected world it's just too easy to move on.. or back, to what ever you find to be safe, secure, comfortable and USEABLE.

Rant finished.

CS

in germany, we are warned to use the browser of google -

too much informations in one hand

An not warned for IE ?

Isn't Microsoft IE used by 2/3 of us and on a system by Microsoft used by 90% of people surffing the web ? :o

google is through its earchengine already well enough informed about

everyones activities

Chrome is Open Source !

Everybody can look at the sources and control that Google Chrome does not act against our privicy :D

You can't say such a thing for IE by example...

I've been using Chrome now since it was released.

For the most part, I hardly miss anything about IE, except being able to manage my bookmarks a little easier.

I do notice when I go to check my hotmail and keep getting a page pop up, recommending that I upgrade my browser (but gives me the option to carry on to Hotmail regardless, and everything works fine).

I'll keep using it for now, and see if any bugs pop up. Perhaps the B2 (or 3/4/5) version will have more/better user interface and options (like the toolbar).

• 2 weeks later...

Google's Chrome Market Share Drops Back Back After Initial Interest

Google's Chrome Web browser, which gained market share quickly within the first 24 hours of its release, has been steadily giving up its gains to Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, a Web metrics firm said Tuesday. During the first day of its release Sept. 2, Google Chrome rocketed to 1% of the market, Net Applications said. Since then, the upstart browser has fallen to 0.77% as of last week, with the losses shared evenly between IE and Firefox.

"A bunch of people gave it a quick try, and its share has been sliding ever since," Vince Vizzaccaro, executive VP of marketing for Net Applications, told InformationWeek.

Last week, IE's share stood at 71.48%; Firefox, 19.42%; and Apple's Safari, 6.73%. Apple's browser has been immune to Chrome's entry, because the latter doesn't run on the Mac operating system, Vizzaccaro said.

-- Webmasterworld.com 2008-09-24