Young Brit Busted For Pseudo Compliance

brahmburgers

A young British buy was at Kao San rd. - approached by an Austrian guy who asked where to get fake passports. The Brit recommended talking to some Thai guy who had a sign on his shop window saying passport photos.

Right after making the recommendation, the cops showed up. It was a sting operation set up by Thai cops and the Austrian.

The Brit stayed a week in jail, then was able (with mega difficulty) to post Bt.400,000 to get whisked down south, across to Malaysia, and back to England. Not sure how the Brit got his passport back, maybe part of the Bt.400k bribe. Now he's personna non grata in Land of Smiles.

Moral of story, beware of supposedly friendly people who might be out to trick you in to going to jail and/or losing a bunch of money. or, as my dad used to say, "keep your nose clean."

A young British buy was at Kao San rd. - approached by an Austrian guy who asked where to get fake passports. The Brit recommended talking to some Thai guy who had a sign on his shop window saying passport photos.

Right after making the recommendation, the cops showed up. It was a sting operation set up by Thai cops and the Austrian.

The Brit stayed a week in jail, then was able (with mega difficulty) to post Bt.400,000 to get whisked down south, across to Malaysia, and back to England. Not sure how the Brit got his passport back, maybe part of the Bt.400k bribe. Now he's personna non grata in Land of Smiles.

Moral of story, beware of supposedly friendly people who might be out to trick you in to going to jail and/or losing a bunch of money. or, as my dad used to say, "keep your nose clean."

Nice story, could not have come up with a better one myself.

I've got to agree that this seems highly unlikely.

If true, then the guy that spent a week in jail and paid 400,000 baht bail to skip the country is a complete and total moron -- not a speck of working gray matter under his skull.

Edited by Beacher

Maybe true, maybe not...but certainly is plausible

I *did* have someone contact me here via PM telling me he was a Thai in USA and asking if I would "help me get a fake ID, preferably a Thai drivers license. Of course I will pay all costs."

The poster had joined TV just that day, zero posts.

I never replied, just forwarded it to one of the moderators. The user was banned shortly thereafter.

brahmburgers, waiting for u to verify some sources or your posts won't be worth reading in future!!!

and what about the past?

btw. a polish grandma was going to a somtam stall asking "do you have bagels?" "of course we have" was the reply of somchai, the part time police man who run the business. "doesn't matter, i have bicycle outside" the old lady was heard saying.

moral of the story: you see, i told you so.

I agree Paul but the OP hasn't bothered to come back on here and back up his story either.

Point taken James,

carnt be arse@ to look at his previous postings to see if he a reliable poster.

And it is not like he has gone out shopping all day as I saw him in this very forum not two hours after his first post. :o

Wow, how quick the wizened and stiff veterans of Thaivisa jump on a post!

I admit, I paraphrased too much in my brief report. The young Brit got the tel# of the Thai shop owner, and passed it on to the Austrian.

As for links: what sort of links would suffice? Do you want a link to the Banglampu police station with a jpg of their bookings for the past two months? Or a link of a photo showing the Bt.400k handover to the cops?

The story is true.

Why would "the Austrian" have any interest whatsoever in playing with the Thailand police? Unless he was some sort of wannabe cop.

Smells fishy to me...

There are all manner of dodgy farangs in Thailand running around with their own alternative agenda. Some of these suck up to the police in the, often mistaken, belief that they will get special treatment or rewards. That's how come one of the lines of advice given to newcomers is trust nobody especially your own countrymen (other farangs).

All the same the story does sound very iffy but TiT, a place where fact and fiction often merge into a blurry soup of illusions.

Meaning: if you want to get involved with illegal activities or have partners in crime, that`s OK, but be careful not to get caught.

I still don't believe this one, even in Thailand.

1. Passing a telephone number is not an offense.

2. I have no idea what the charge could have been. What evidence, "oh he gave me a phone number" duh?

3. This is the first time I have heard of the BIBs whisking somebody down to Malaysia for export. In BKK they would be taken to the immigration detention cells and flown out of BKK.