Patong Food

ged

I will be staying in Patong in October any recommendations for English breakfast , Steak and wine, and later in life, a heart doctor :o

Thanks.

Are you english?

You come to foreign lands and want to eat english.........<deleted>

Why bother travelling.

Since when is steak and wine an english breakfast?

(This will stir)

Edited by Zpete

I will be staying in Patong in October any recommendations for English breakfast , Steak and wine, and later in life, a heart doctor :o

Thanks.

Are you english?

Why bother travelling.

(This will stir)

Yes I am English, I do eat Thai, i do not know Phuket,

I will tell my Thai wife who likes English breakfast ,(note the comma) steak and wine that she should not eat anything else but Thai food.

Thanks for being so helpful.

Echo the Offshore as the best breakfast I know of.. Honorable mention to the Tavern on the Hill but not been in a long while.. Tavern also good for sunday roasts etc, hearty portions and friendly service but not fine dining if you see my distinction. Unimpressed with the yorkshire myself.

Kieths, or the 9th floor, sams steakhouse, for import but expensive steaks and wine type dining.. Shakers on Rat U Thit for functional grilled steaks at a good price.

Heard good things about the steak at L'Orfiel (or however its spelt) on the other side of the island.

Is the Islander still going? They used to do a reasonable all-day english breakfast. Just off Bangla rd.

We stopped going to the Islander years ago because of the poor service and food quality/presentation varied depending on the cook hired that month. I'm sure some folks think it good, but we gave up guessing....

My house !

And whats wrong with eating English in Thailand, perhaps I shouldn't eat Thai or Indian in the UK, a greek in the US? God forbid.

perhaps we shouldn't have a car but buy a tuk tuk? After all what is the point of travelling if you do it in a western horseless carriage Jeez.

Is the Islander still going? They used to do a reasonable all-day english breakfast. Just off Bangla rd.

We stopped going to the Islander years ago because of the poor service and food quality/presentation varied depending on the cook hired that month. I'm sure some folks think it good, but we gave up guessing....

Not sure how you can bugger up greasy eggs, bacon, sausages and baked beans, but I guess it can happen in Thailand. :D

Haven't been there myself for 18 months or so. :o

Not sure how you can bugger up greasy eggs, bacon, sausages and baked beans, but I guess it can happen in Thailand. :o

Was'nt talking about breakfast. Only dined there, maybe your right about breakies.

My very favourite brunch is at the Karon Cafe (in Karon). Maybe not a true English breakfast, more half American, half English. After all the owner is half Norwegian, half America. Was 125 baht, now 150 baht. Still great value for money, a real 3 course feast + fresh coffee.

Thanks.

Are you english?

Why bother travelling.

(This will stir)

Yes I am English, I do eat Thai, i do not know Phuket,

I will tell my Thai wife who likes English breakfast ,(note the comma) steak and wine that she should not eat anything else but Thai food.

Thanks for being so helpful.

You right their matey. When we get away from BKK my Thia G/F always orders English Breaky while I order Thai omelet, my favorite. I have yet to see a waiter place the food down correctly :D

Thanks.

Are you english?

Why bother travelling.

(This will stir)

That's rich coming from a Kiwi.When I moved down there about 10 years ago there was 1 Indian and a couple of Ethnic restaurants.Their staple diet was roast dinners and pies.And their sausages and bacon.Well only fit for the bin.

Got to say since the America's cup in 2000 they improved.

Not sure how you can bugger up greasy eggs, bacon, sausages and baked beans, but I guess it can happen in Thailand. :D

Haven't been there myself for 18 months or so. :o

Totally agree about the Yorkshire Inn - inconsistent. One time I went there, the Yorkshire pudding had been in the food warmer for so long that they were empty crusts. I've found that if you go there during generally established meal times, they are generally okay. I thoroughly recommend their (huge) steak and kidney pie meals.

Oops - slip-up there folks - I was referring to the Islander (not the Yorkshire Inn). The Yorky's quite good. but their portions could be larger and they are a bit overpriced. I prefer Sheila's (next door) which addresses both these issues. The Islander is still going, as strong as ever , but note the above (but do try those steak and kidney pies!).

Edited by Ping

I go there for breakfast about once a month. Still decent, and a very good cumberland sausage. Too much to eat actually.

A very good place for an English or American breakfast is the Buffalo steak house in Bangla. I dunno which one is which, I got 2 eggs, loads of nice bacon, nice thick toast and a cup of ovaltine and OJ for 180 baht. It's the best quality and quantity I've had. I was put onto it by a mate from Norway.

I know where you can get nice imported NZ fillet steak cooked with any sauce and a beautiful baked spud for 240 baht. Even under toture I'm not giving that place up as it is so small and gets packed nightly by people in the know. Huge T-bones are 350 baht and Sirloin is also 350.

The best fried chicken on the island is at the market in Cherng Talay. A Muslim lady makes it and it is 12 or 15 baht a piece. If you want a fantastic pie, the supermarket next to PS.2 has imported NZ pies at 80 baht and they are huge.

I don't mind the odd feed of farang food but see many farangs who don't seem to eat any Thai food. I think Thailand has the best cuisine in the world by far.

I saw a programme a couple of days ago, which compared breakfasts in various countries, looking for the greasiest with the most calories................... the Yanks came first with around 1800 calories and the British breakfast came second with around 1400 calories. They served the whole whack in both cases... and obviously you can eat less..... but the English breakfast is still a greasy affair... (and I´m a Brit myself).......!!!!

The idea of restricting yourself to only one cuisine baffles me.. The choice and variety of diet is important. Getting my GF out of the mindset that anything new is to be distrusted has helped, tho I do find she tends to stick only to a small subset of what she likes, sa-pa-get-ti is close enough to noodles to pass, shes a demon in the sushi joint, but heavy northern Euro type meals are not to her taste (understandable, noodle soups are not to mine).

I had some woman actually tut tut and make a comment when I ordered a sunday roast one time.. Along the lines off ohh how can you want to eat western food when theres all this wonderful Thai food, acting so superior cos she is eating a Phad Thai or whatever. Obviously totally acclimatized during her 14 day vacation. I had a good mind to tell her to mind her own fuc_king business, but just let it slide. Why someone would feel the need to involve themselves in what someone else was ordering strikes me as strange.

The idea of restricting yourself to only one cuisine baffles me.. The choice and variety of diet is important. Getting my GF out of the mindset that anything new is to be distrusted has helped, tho I do find she tends to stick only to a small subset of what she likes, sa-pa-get-ti is close enough to noodles to pass, shes a demon in the sushi joint, but heavy northern Euro type meals are not to her taste (understandable, noodle soups are not to mine).

I had some woman actually tut tut and make a comment when I ordered a sunday roast one time.. Along the lines off ohh how can you want to eat western food when theres all this wonderful Thai food, acting so superior cos she is eating a Phad Thai or whatever. Obviously totally acclimatized during her 14 day vacation. I had a good mind to tell her to mind her own fuc_king business, but just let it slide. Why someone would feel the need to involve themselves in what someone else was ordering strikes me as strange.

You should have told her. Phuket was probably her first time out of her home country anyway.

If you were to take her comments to the next level you could have asked her husband (if she had one) what he thought of the Thai demimondames. That would have shown her "when in Thailand eat Thai" :o

A very good place for an English or American breakfast is the Buffalo steak house in Bangla. I dunno which one is which, I got 2 eggs, loads of nice bacon, nice thick toast and a cup of ovaltine and OJ for 180 baht. It's the best quality and quantity I've had. I was put onto it by a mate from Norway.

I know where you can get nice imported NZ fillet steak cooked with any sauce and a beautiful baked spud for 240 baht. Even under toture I'm not giving that place up as it is so small and gets packed nightly by people in the know. Huge T-bones are 350 baht and Sirloin is also 350.

The best fried chicken on the island is at the market in Cherng Talay. A Muslim lady makes it and it is 12 or 15 baht a piece. If you want a fantastic pie, the supermarket next to PS.2 has imported NZ pies at 80 baht and they are huge.

I don't mind the odd feed of farang food but see many farangs who don't seem to eat any Thai food. I think Thailand has the best cuisine in the world by far.

Good man, we at TV respect your selfishness immensely :o

Hallo, the only problem with the recommendation of the Yorkshire Inn at Soi Sansabai: It's at present under renovation and closed.

I thought that was only a residential part next door... I'll have a look later on and confirm it. In any event, no problem - Sheila's (next door) is better.

Zorro - there are several places that do T-bones for around B300. The Toy Restaurant (opposite the market in Nanai) is one I can think of off the top of my head, but there are quite a few. (But I take your point... what type of individual says 'I've got a secret and I'm not going to tell'?)

Hallo, the only problem with the recommendation of the Yorkshire Inn at Soi Sansabai: It's at present under renovation and closed.

I thought that was only a residential part next door... I'll have a look later on and confirm it. In any event, no problem - Sheila's (next door) is better.

Apologies to Lotusbluete - quite correct, the place has been gutted. The sign outside says it is due to reopen on 20 October.