Retirement 800000 Baht

Does the 800000 Baht have to be on deposit for 3 months before the date that you apply for the visa (21 days before visa expires) or the date the the retirement visa starts from (date that the tourist visa expires) also is it possible to get a multi entry visa at the same time

I have had two visas under this rule, both obtained in Pattaya / Jomtien.

My 800,000 was in the bank 3 months before the date that I applied for the visa to begin, which was also the day I actually appliied

So, I went there on the 19th April for my visa to begin on the 19th April and my bankbook showed that the money was in there on or before the 19th Jan.

This worked fime.

This visa costs 1,900 B (Non-Resident O with retirement extension) it comes with the right to one exit and one re-entry. Multiple entry rights can be bought at the same time for (I think) 2,500 B more (maybe it's 3,500 B more). However, I'm pretty sure you can buy the multiple entry bit ay any time after you have the main visa, although the multiple entry rights may well expire with the original 1,900 B visa.

Regards,

Owen.

3 months before your application date.

The retirement extension (not visa) costs 1,900 Baht and does not include a re entry permit.

A single re entry permit costs 1,000 Baht

A Multi re entry permit costs 3,800 Baht

These can be obtained at any time , depending on when you want to use them.

Edited by Lite Beer

The retirement extension (not visa) costs 1,900 Baht and does not include a re entry permit.

OK, I recognize that the prices you quote are correct now that I see them. Thanks.

However, I have always had a Multiple Entry visa so have never been in this position before and am far less certain.

Are you sure that the basic visa does not come with one in/out?

A friend of mine was telling me on Tuesday that he always has the basic visa and goes back to Norway once a year for two weeks. This year, he wants to go to Malasia and so has to buy a 1.000 B permit. He's considering getting the Multi instead.

The point is: he's never had to buy an exit/re-entry permit before.

Owen.

Are you talking about Visas or Extensions of stay.

If you are talking about a years Extension of Stay you need to buy a Re Entry Permit.

If you leave without buying one your Extension will finish and you will only get 30 days when you Re Enter.

You will have to start all over again.

I do not know what your friend is talking about and suggest you do not listen to him as he is wrong, and you could end up with a problem.

Not arguing, just trying to help you understand the procedure.

Thanks for your quick reply just a couple of more questions if I may

I normally use Tourist visas if I get a 2 entry visa and return to Thailand on Nov 26 what is is the earliest that I can apply for a Retirement visa

If i get a multi re entry permit do I have to renew this every year and pay 3,800 Baht

Thanks for your quick reply just a couple of more questions if I may

I normally use Tourist visas if I get a 2 entry visa and return to Thailand on Nov 26 what is is the earliest that I can apply for a Retirement visa

If i get a multi re entry permit do I have to renew this every year and pay 3,800 Baht

It would be better if you came with a Non Imm O Visa.

If coming on a Tourist Visa you need to go to Immigration and change it to Non O Visa with at least 21 days remaining on your stay. 2,000 Baht

Within the last month of this Non O Visa you can apply for the Retirement Extension (it is not a visa). 1,900 Baht.

So you would need to put the 800,000 in the bank as soon as you arrived.

The Re Entry Permit would have to be obtained every year at 3,800 Baht.

The other option is to get a Non O-A Retirement Visa from your home country before you came.

In this case you need a police report and a medical certificate. The money then has to be in a bank in your home country.

Whatever suits you best.

Edited by Lite Beer

Offset. If you decide on the O-A Visa you would have to apply at the Thai Embassy London.

Consulates cannot issue these.

What are the requirement for an O-A visa The Non A retirement visa would be a problem because it takes up to 6 weeks to get and I am only in England for 3 weeks at a time I have already 800000 Baht on deposit in Thailand this is why I was thinking of the Tourist visa Route

Offset. If you decide on the O-A Visa you would have to apply at the Thai Embassy London.

I recieved a O-A ( Retirement ) Mulitple entry visa from a consulate in Houston.

??

gpdjohn - while Thai consulates in the USA may well issue O-A visas, none of the Thai consulates in the UK issue such visas. As Lite Beer says, only the London Embassy can issue O-A visas in the UK.

offset - in case you are interested, the London Embassy guidance on O-A visas is at http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/visa_retirement.html. As will be evident, it is quite a convoluted process, especially as they do not accept applications by post. So, unless your 3-week stay in the UK is in the London area, it is probably a non-starter for you in any event. As Lite Beer suggests, an initial 90-day O visa might be better in your case, which you could then subsequently upgrade/extend once in Thailand. The Hull Consulate are, I gather, particularly helpful in issuing O visas- see their website at http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Af%20%20...Application.pdf. The Hull consulate accept visa applications by post as well as in person - although I understand that, contrary to their advice, you will not, in fact, require a police check or medical certificate to upgrade/extend an O visa once in Thailand.

[

offset - in case you are interested, the London Embassy guidance on O-A visas is at http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/visa_retirement.html. As will be evident, it is quite a convoluted process, especially as they do not accept applications by post. So, unless your 3-week stay in the UK is in the London area, it is probably a non-starter for you in any event. As Lite Beer suggests, an initial 90-day O visa might be better in your case, which you could then subsequently upgrade/extend once in Thailand. The Hull Consulate are, I gather, particularly helpful in issuing O visas- see their website at http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Af%20%20...Application.pdf. The Hull consulate accept visa applications by post as well as in person - although I understand that, contrary to their advice, you will not, in fact, require a police check or medical certificate to upgrade/extend an O visa once in Thailand.

OJAS

I live in London and get my tourist visa from there, what trying to now find out is why is it better to use a 90 day O visa against a Tourist visa which I know how to apply for

A Non O Visa will cut out the step of having to upgrade a Tourist Visa in Thailand.

It really is up to you. A tourist visa will do.

But if the Hull Consulate website is to be believed (and that clearly is not always the case), isn't a theoretical (at any rate) condition of the 30-day visa waiver that you have to be in possession of a confirmed flight ticket out of Thailand which is valid within the 30-day period? Not that I have ever been asked to show such a ticket whenever I have entered Thailand on a 30-day visa waiver, but, if offset were unlucky to encounter the 1 bolshy official at Suvarnabhumi who had got out of bed the wrong side that morning, he might surely encounter problems?

A Non O Visa will cut out the step of having to upgrade a Tourist Visa in Thailand.

It really is up to you. A tourist visa will do.

But if the Hull Consulate website is to be believed (and that clearly is not always the case), isn't a theoretical (at any rate) condition of the 30-day visa waiver that you have to be in possession of a confirmed flight ticket out of Thailand which is valid within the 30-day period? Not that I have ever been asked to show such a ticket whenever I have entered Thailand on a 30-day visa waiver, but, if offset were unlucky to encounter the 1 bolshy official at Suvarnabhumi who had got out of bed the wrong side that morning, he might surely encounter problems?

Without a Visa he probably would not be allowed on the plane

Why would he have a problem if he has a tourist visa?

Thank you Lite Beer and OJAS for your help but I need to confirm when I could get my retirement visa sorted by only i was hoping to get it done by the beginning of February I arrive back in Thailand on Nov 26 if I was to use the tourist visa route am I correct in saying that I could apply to extend into a retirement visa about Jan 2

Thank you Lite Beer and OJAS for your help but I need to confirm when I could get my retirement visa sorted by only i was hoping to get it done by the beginning of February I arrive back in Thailand on Nov 26 if I was to use the tourist visa route am I correct in saying that I could apply to extend into a retirement visa about Jan 2

If you upgraded to a Non O by the end of November you would be able to apply for the extension of stay (it is not a visa)

the beginning of February. 30 days before the Non O expires.

Coming in on a Non O will save the bother of that conversion.

Why the rush.

Edited by Lite Beer

If you upgraded to a Non O by the end of November you would be able to apply for the extension of stay (it is not a visa)

Why the rush.

Having baby early February I would like to get this out of the way if possible that is why I suggested a 2 entry tourist visa so if I did not sort out the visa before Feb I would have a second chance later

Why the rush.

Having baby early February I would like to get this out of the way if possible that is why I suggested a 2 entry tourist visa so if I did not sort out the visa before Feb I would have a second chance later

If you got a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa from the Hull Consulate you will have up to 15 months to sort it out.

Another option for you.

...I arrive back in Thailand on Nov 26 if I was to use the tourist visa route am I correct in saying that I could apply to extend into a retirement visa about Jan 2

I see the timeline something like this:

Step 1: 26 NOV 2008 you arrive in Thailand with tourist visa, receive permission to stay until 24 JAN 2008

Step 2: Not later than 30 DEC 2009 you apply for change of visa to non-immigrant, receive permission to stay until 24 APR 2009

Step 3: Any time between 25 MAR 2009 and 24 APR 2009 you apply for extension of stay for retirement, receive permission to stay until 24 APR 2010

If you want to get your retirement extension already by the beginning of February you should arrive in Thailand with a non-O visa:

26 NOV arrive in Thailand, permission to stay until 23 FEB

27 JAN – 06 FEB apply for retirement extension

--

Maestro

...I arrive back in Thailand on Nov 26 if I was to use the tourist visa route am I correct in saying that I could apply to extend into a retirement visa about Jan 2

I see the timeline something like this:

Step 1: 26 NOV 2008 you arrive in Thailand with tourist visa, receive permission to stay until 24 JAN 2008

Step 2: Not later than 30 DEC 2009 you apply for change of visa to non-immigrant, receive permission to stay until 24 APR 2009

Step 3: Any time between 25 MAR 2009 and 24 APR 2009 you apply for extension of stay for retirement, receive permission to stay until 24 APR 2010

If you want to get your retirement extension already by the beginning of February you should arrive in Thailand with a non-O visa:

26 NOV arrive in Thailand, permission to stay until 23 FEB

27 JAN – 06 FEB apply for retirement extension

--

Maestro

Maestro.

Step 2 . Can he not do this at the end of November if he wanted to?

Does the Non O 90 days start when he applies for the upgrade or when his original Tourist Visa expires.?

It used to be that with a change at immigration to non-O the 90 days were counted from the last arrival date and usually the one year extension could be made at the same time.

Since early this year the 90 days of the non-O are added to the end of the existing permission to stay and members’ reports I have seen indicate that they were asked to come back within the last 30 days of the 90-day extension to apply for the annual extension. Of course, if an applicant has special needs, eg because of travel requirements, an accommodating officer may give him the one-year extension earlier, perhaps even during the same visit as the change of visa.

--

Maestro

It used to be that with a change at immigration to non-O the 90 days were counted from the last arrival date and usually the one year extension could be made at the same time.

Since early this year the 90 days of the non-O are added to the end of the existing permission to stay and members’ reports I have seen indicate that they were asked to come back within the last 30 days of the 90-day extension to apply for the annual extension. Of course, if an applicant has special needs, eg because of travel requirements, an accommodating officer may give him the one-year extension earlier, perhaps even during the same visit as the change of visa.

--

Maestro

Thanks for that.

He would really be better off with the Non O then.

He might even have a problem getting on the plane with a tourist visa unless he could show some return ticket with a validity within the 30-day period. For reasons which I won't go into now, I recently travelled out to Thailand on other than the outward portion of a return ticket. The Thai Airways check-in people at Heathrow insisted on seeing the other BKK-LHR ticket I had confirming that I was returning to the UK within 30 days. I think that this underlines your subsequent conclusion that a Non-Immigrant O would be best in all the circumstances.

He might even have a problem getting on the plane with a tourist visa unless he could show some return ticket with a validity within the 30-day period. For reasons which I won't go into now, I recently travelled out to Thailand on other than the outward portion of a return ticket. The Thai Airways check-in people at Heathrow insisted on seeing the other BKK-LHR ticket I had confirming that I was returning to the UK within 30 days. I think that this underlines your subsequent conclusion that a Non-Immigrant O would be best in all the circumstances.

A Tourist Visa gives a stay of 60 days. Why would he need an onward ticket within 30 days?

I recieved a O-A ( Retirement ) Mulitple entry visa from a consulate in Houston.

??

gpdjohn - while Thai consulates in the USA may well issue O-A visas, none of the Thai consulates in the UK issue such visas. As Lite Beer says, only the London Embassy can issue O-A visas in the UK.

Quite correct, NO police or medical certicate required for the extension on the grounds of retirement. a complete waste of time and money as we can testify. We were even told by the Embassy at Hull that we had to have them 'Notarised' in the UK, which cost us a fortune and that was not the end of it, the Embassy at Hull then charged us £20 to certify that they had been 'Notarised' - what a flaming ripoff, and the final irony was that they charged us an extra £20 each for having the cheek to appear in person at Hull to apply for our Visa - even though we had phoned up and made an appontment with them.

Edited by cheshiremusicman

A Tourist Visa gives a stay of 60 days. Why would he need an onward ticket within 30 days?

My apologies - I was clearly confusing the 30-day visa waiver with the 60-day Tourist visa. As he is London-based when in the UK, he would have to queue up at the Thai Embassy in London to get a 60-day Tourist visa, just as he would for a 90-day Non-Immigrant one. So he might just as well opt for the latter?

Edited by OJAS

Quite correct, NO police or medical certicate required for the extension on the grounds of retirement. a complete waste of time and money as we can testify. We were even told by the Embassy at Hull that we had to have them 'Notarised' in the UK, which cost us a fortune and that was not the end of it, the Embassy at Hull then charged us £20 to certify that they had been 'Notarised' - what a flaming ripoff, and the final irony was that they charged us an extra £20 each for having the cheek to appear in person at Hull to apply for our Visa - even though we had phoned up and made an appontment with them.

Hmm, clearly Hull are nowhere near as friendly or helpful as their website makes them out to be. Thanks for this tip-off.

It seems the best Visa for me to get would be the O visa is this as easy to get as the Tourist visa and would it let me come and go to England as easy as Multi-Tourist visa does I might have to go back at any time in the duration of the visa