Credit Card S

philip81

any advice?

when i left thailand i informed Amex, they cancelled my account and requested all payments immediately.

I want to repay but each month, they now want to charge 18% interest at 1.5% per month as well as a collection fee.

I want to pay as i feel comfortable, what can they do? Any one know?

any advice?

when i left thailand i informed Amex, they cancelled my account and requested all payments immediately.

I want to repay but each month, they now want to charge 18% interest at 1.5% per month as well as a collection fee.

I want to pay as i feel comfortable, what can they do? Any one know?

When you left Thailand or When you left for Thailand?.............if its the latter my guess is the card company has been ripped off so many times by people coming to Thailand they closed your account. How long have you had the card? 18% a year seems a little high but i/m sure it/ll be in the "Terms and Conditions" somewhere. I have several cards i use here in Thailand (not Amex however) ive never had any problems although this maybe due to the fact that my statements are paid by a family member back in the UK each month. Ive actually had credit limit increases on at least 3 of them since ive lived in Thailand. Sorry cant be of more help.

No my card was issued in thailand and i have returned to the uk.

What can they do if i choose to repay my way and not theirs. I think they have a cheek to threaten me with bad credit reference as they have done, i have held the card for 5 years with no missed or late payments.

I understand they don't want me to keep the card and i can see their point of view, however i think they are a little unreasonable.

Any ideas from anyone what they can do if i ignore their demands?

Amex is a charge card, not a credit card!!

You are expected to pay the total each month, there is no "credit".

Amex has a choice of credit or charge card membership.

I am a long term Amex member, (since '72) and have had no problems taking my (UK) membership with me when I move around the world. The only difficulty has been getting the card renewed. I have one of these invitation only cards and they are not keen to send it to Thailand due to heavy fraud.

You might be able to open a UK Amex account and transfer your debt to there. Try contacting them.

Amex is a charge card, not a credit card!!

You are expected to pay the total each month, there is no "credit".

Yes, that is the deal with American Express and if you don't follow those rules, then you'll pay 18% interest. You can do whatever you like, but your credit rating will be tarnished.

I went crazy with my visa card over here for years. Always made the minimum payment by direct debit.

A year ago, they informed me that I'd gone over my credit limit when making a cash withdrawal from an exchange booth. As a result they were charging me 5.20 pounds per day - almost 400 Baht a day.

I argued that it was the company's fault. They had allowed me to go over my limit when they authorised the transaction. Company would not back down, so I cancelled the direct debit by internet banking and paid nothing for 5 months.

Then, back in the UK for a bit, I telephoned them. They reduced the interest level significantly and agreed to a repayment plan, with the missed payments being redated.

I had contacted two consumer organisations by e-mail to see how everyone stood legally. They were really helpful and pointed out that the credit was an unsecured loan, so there was chance of a lien on my property or other assets. Basically, the company didn't have a leg to stand on. That's why they were so accomodating with the repayment plan.

I'm still making payments. Everythig's in order now and I've told them I don't want another card. It's easier for me to use my debit card for purchases and ATM withdrawals. At least I can't run up debt with that.

Worst case scenario is a bad credit rating. If you don't care about that, then you've got no problems if you do a runner. If, in the future you want to buy a house or something like that, you'll have difficulties.

Another thing is that most credit card companies require a UK address for new cards and statements to be sent to. Mine would not send them to Thailand. So, all correspondence went through my parents who forwarded things on to me. If I'd done a runner and not changed my correspondence address, it could have had repercussions for my family.

Amex has a choice of credit or charge card membership.

I am a long term Amex member, (since '72) and have had no problems taking my (UK) membership with me when I move around the world. The only difficulty has been getting the card renewed. I have one of these invitation only cards and they are not keen to send it to Thailand due to heavy fraud.

You might be able to open a UK Amex account and transfer your debt to there. Try contacting them.

Same here, member since 71 in Switzerland. They never send me renoval.After complaint got it issued in Thailand, with the Swiss details on it. Subsequently Amex Thai approach me, why not join them. Meanwhile gave me their new Credit card as well, free of charge. Now they are calling why I use the Credit and not the charge card. Competition in the own house?

I hear what you say, maybe i am not too clear. The card was issued by thai amex and i have left thailand and i am in the uk.

How can they tarnish my credit record, this is my main concern!

Amex have a credit card as well!

It seems to me that if they are capable of harming a persons credit record they can do so whatever the repayment structure that we agree on.

Is it possible for them to harm my credit record in the uk, does anyone know?

My advice. Contact AMEX immediately. Amex UK are base in Brighton I believe - they may negotiate with Amex Thailand on your behalf

AMEX is a huge international organisation. That you are concerned suggests you owe a large (ish) sum. Unlike smaller Thai banks they will not write off your debt. They will trace you sooner or later. If sooner maybe no problem. If later they will pass details of your defaulted debt to the major UK credit reference agencies. Doesn't matter that the debts were incurred outside the UK - you will be deemed a credit risk. You WILL have difficulties in obtaining loans or other credit in the UK even if you subsequently pay off the debt. It can also impact on any relative sharing your UK address seeking credit - unfair but TRUE. You MAY also have problems if you return to Thailand.

What they cannot do recover the money through the UK courts.