Samak Found Guilty By Court, Must Resign

george

Someone must have advised him before going on air? Needed to pass the show onto his childern so they get paid?

I do want I want attitude not acepted by the courts.

but then what do I know.......I think they should bring nack Thaksin. Kept the country together longer than many over the last 50 years. People in the country liked him. Knew how to make money and kept the south in check. :o

OMG you are joking, RIGHT?

How to begin here? Taksin forced Chuan Leekpai out of office by lying to the newspapers? Hello? Taksin was Leekpai's assistant? Hello? The corrupted 'sensibilities' of Taksin knew no boundaries whatsoever. From telecommunications to public office. Cement companies to highway contracts. Murder by police in the name of upholding drug laws. Sales of companies while in office to avoid taxes. Land buying and selling to front as legal enterprise to cover money laundering (just like terrorists and drug dealers.) No matter how many poor people in Thailand this debased animal has paid off, he is still just that: A MERCILESS ANIMAL and a horrible EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN BEING.

Samak couldn't hold the Taksin fort either, no matter how hard Taksin tried to get him to hold on. Billions are going to be lost by Taksin. IT'S ABOUT TIME, AND YES SO BE IT.

Yes. It was the courts' time to have made their play. And yes, it's time to close the book on Taksin.

Samak, go cook yourself and your badass Chiang Mai buddy a nice 'lad nah moo sen yai' , and go away, FOREVER.

Edited by blam

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Taksin came down here to Phuket to cook and serve chicken for the public in Patong. (during the chicken flu scare about 4 years ago)

This was when he was very popular and the people believed in him.

I can't imagine him getting booted for cooking at that time.

He is not, as many people seem to only perceive, getting removed for cooking. That just happens to be what he was doing to obtain (lots of) money. That is why he is being removed. Unfortunately (for obvious reasons like what is happening here on this forum) the media chose to give this headline the "Cooking" title instead of "receiving money" title. Thats how people (here and overseas) will see this. If he had cooked without receiving any gratuaty for it this would not be where it is now and would not have even been a headline or issue. :o

How much money did he receive- in terms only of the shows that he hosted while Prime Minister?

According to the post by Plus :

Then there's a question of payments

80k a pop - 320k a month - more than his official salary.

Then there's a question of milking his status - how does that affect advertising, for example? How about dispersing favours to his producers?

Then there's a question of the "spirit of the law" - how's doing a cooking show fundamentally different from hosting a stock market analysis desk, for example? Why the PM can work for a cooking company but not for investment company?

Someone else also mentioned a "jobs for the boys" deal to with a guy at the TV company. He got a job on some Govt board or Thai Airways or something. :D

The courts seem to be deciding cases exactly according to the law and not giving consideration to the politcal side of things. Today Samak and Prasong found this out. It is probably time Thai politicans did start sticking to the law raher than thinking they can circumvenmt it.

I didnt actually think this case was trpong until talking to a Thai lawyer who explained that technically the law was breached so there was no alternate decision. That statements made by the PM were also not consistent with other evidence also makes this case interesting.

It remains to be seen whether PPP will continue with their cabinet of offenders or they will decide to actually be seen to do the right thing. With the ocurts decidng purley on law it now seems only a matter of time before a lot of people are taken down and we shouldnt miss they are not only being taken daown from the PPP side. It is just the PPP side that seems to take umbrage with the verdicts to the extent of even having dear leader flee the country.

if the PM wants to be a muppet to run a cooking show - let him be. Tony Blair appeared in Simpsons as well in a comedy sketch "Am I bothered", he might or might have not been paid, he did it for publicity.

if the opposition tries to get rid of samak on this ground - it's an obvious manipulation of the law.

Although I am delighted that Taksin Jr. is out, I must agree that this method is a mockery of justice. Maybe tne ends justify the means...but surely there were other ways....

surely there were other ways....

For a normal person, yes, but Samak is a stubborn one. He doesn't follow the normal code of conduct. Just as the PPP who want to vote him right back, even if he brought the country to a standstill. Then the defamation case would come up, and I doubt he'd win his appeal.

Jail for defamation is surely an overkill, I hope he spends only hlaf day there and get pardoned. Legally it would disqualify him from holdin PM's position. Otherwise he thinks he is perfectly qualified.

There are those "unlucky" political folk who get themselves impeached (or worse) for lying, dirty tactics and even for the errant dalliance, but those that proffer mass murder in the name of "Peace" or their own personal god, seemingly are above reproach. Money and power are "face". A "cooking show" seems to be just another means to attain a goal set by some who have much bigger "face". I am less interested in what has been than what will occur. IMHO:)

Don't forget, this is the same Kangaroo court (even thou it sits in Bangkok and not Sydney) that ruled that the Square-Faced One, after his first election to office, did not violate financial disclosure rules for candidates for political office when, in order to conceal his wealth, he transferred most of his shares in Shin Corp. to his maids and drivers. Thus setting Thailand on its now almost decade long odyssey of political corruption and instability.

I wouldn't have any respect for the judgment's of this Court as it clearly sways in the wind and does the bidding of whatever clique is in power (or it thinks will be in power).

Besides, the PPP or whatever Samak's party is called has already said they will just re-elect him Prime Minister, which is theiir right as he has not been banned from politics for this "crime" of accepting compensation for being a cooking show host while being a public employee :o

Edited by NotNew2You

Well, Sondhi claims he spent 420 million baht of his own money during PADS first campaign to get rid of Taksin ( backhanders etc ). I bet its cost him a lot more this time around for sure !! Still, he can afford it . Lets not forget that it was when Taksin came to power that Sondhis banker, Virot Nualkhair ,was made head honcho at the state owned Krung Thai bank and he reduced Sondhis ' Manager Group ' debt to the bank from 1,800,000,000 to a mere 200,000,000. Ahhhhhh....the good old days when love was in the air ! Cor.......I wish I had a mate like that who would give me 1.6 billion baht. Its all a bit odd though how he has suddenly had a change of morals and now thinks corruption is a nasty thing ? Unless ....??? Surely not ? He's found protesting on behalf of others more profitable !! :D Ahhhhh....you've got to love the guy.....he's so cute !! :o

PPP to call urgent meeting Wednesday to name PM

The People Power Party will call an urgent meeting tomorrow to renominate Samak Sundaravej as prime minister, deputy party leader Kan Thiankaew said on Tuesday following the verdict to disqualify Samak.

Should Samak decline his nomination, the main coalition party would advance the name of its alternate candidate, Kan said, ruling out speculation that Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa might replace Samak.

The six coalition parties have scheduled to meet tomorrow to search for a new prime minister.

Under the Tuesday's verdict, Samak is disqualified from his job on grounds for conflict of interest relating to his involvement in two cooking shows. The Cabinet is allowed to act as the caretaker administration pending the formation of a new government.

The Nation

House speaker uncertain on vote for new PM within Friday

House Speaker Chai Chidchob on Tuesday expressed uncertainty that the House could vote to elect the prime minister to replace Samak Sundaravej by Friday as speculated.

Chai said under the House rules, the MPs need to be notified about the vote three days in advance.

The People Power Party indicated that it would push for a quick vote to reinstall Samak in office by Friday, if possible.

The Nation

This is a link regarding defamation case.

Defamation case

Looks pretty tame.

What a mess though in that his boss Apirak was charged with corruption in the fire truck deal, let off under the military govt. on the pretence that it was Samak who signed the deal before him. Some veritable hot potatos flying around here.

There are some rumours flying around about this one too.

Dont know excatly where this leads, but in the meantime these thais are teaching farang courts how to deal with the law !

When is the last time a PM has been convicted of anything in farangland ?!?

++ ^^

Pm's in Farangland aren't hosting cooking shows or buying votes or puppets to former corrupt PMs.

For those whom did not believed yet that the courts were biased and receive their marching orders from high places it might be very clear by now. It is time that plan B will be taken. A new party (quickly needed as politicians need to be a member for 60 days), a pardon for the 111 old TRT people who are not able to be active in politics for 5 years. (this government can still pass this). If the courts were so concerned about the constitution the would have removed anti democratic elements from government house. This is a useless ruling as Samak can be reinstated in a few days. However he will with these courts probably go to jail for 24 months for defaming another crook. All the current parties have the need to change this absurd constitution. If I spend money in this system, you go to jail. Al parties will be disbanded. We have to wait at leats another ten years till all oldies are gone forever.

i anit really follwing this thread, but would like to say a simple statement.

My Lovley Thai wife who is now living happpily marrried with me is Australia for the last 1.5 years hates this guy.

when she sees his face she acts out shooting him with her fingers.

I consider my wife reflects the sediment all her family and friends in thailand feel.

And this comes from a sweet honest lovely person.

this surely speaks volumes that he must go. whatever the reason, i don't care, but my wife does.

Get rid of this person for the good of the country.

PS: Anyone who knows me and my past input to this forum, i would like to say things are going great.

Just bought a house here and have never been happier.

I wish all of you the best karma you deserve. :o

Don't forget, this is the same Kangaroo court (even thou it sits in Bangkok and not Sydney) that ruled that the Square-Faced One, after his first election to office, did not violate financial disclosure rules for candidates for political office when, in order to conceal his wealth, he transferred most of his shares in Shin Corp. to his maids and drivers. Thus setting Thailand on its now almost decade long odyssey of political corruption and instability.

I wouldn't have any respect for the judgment's of this Court as it clearly sways in the wind and does the bidding of whatever clique is in power (or it thinks will be in power).

Besides, the PPP or whatever Samak's party is called has already said they will just re-elect him Prime Minister, which is theiir right as he has not been banned from politics for this "crime" of accepting compensation for being a cooking show host while being a public employee :o

You're forgetting that the Election Commission is seeking a court order for the PPP to be dissolved.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...ommission%5C%22

Edited by wayfarer108

I remember when Taksin came down here to Phuket to cook and serve chicken for the public in Patong. (during the chicken flu scare about 4 years ago)

This was when he was very popular and the people believed in him.

I can't imagine him getting booted for cooking at that time.

He is not, as many people seem to only perceive, getting removed for cooking. That just happens to be what he was doing to obtain (lots of) money. That is why he is being removed. Unfortunately (for obvious reasons like what is happening here on this forum) the media chose to give this headline the "Cooking" title instead of "receiving money" title. Thats how people (here and overseas) will see this. If he had cooked without receiving any gratuaty for it this would not be where it is now and would not have even been a headline or issue. :o

How much money did he receive- in terms only of the shows that he hosted while Prime Minister?

According to the post by Plus :

Then there's a question of payments

80k a pop - 320k a month - more than his official salary.

Then there's a question of milking his status - how does that affect advertising, for example? How about dispersing favours to his producers?

Then there's a question of the "spirit of the law" - how's doing a cooking show fundamentally different from hosting a stock market analysis desk, for example? Why the PM can work for a cooking company but not for investment company?

Someone else also mentioned a "jobs for the boys" deal to with a guy at the TV company. He got a job on some Govt board or Thai Airways or something. :D

I understood that the station management claimed that Samak had received 80000 honorarium 'for four shows'- now does that mean per show- or total? What did the court conclude?

How does it affect advertising when a PM elects to be interviewed in depth by a particular media outlet?

And as far as comparing the risk of revealing secrets for the perfect tom yum (via a cooking show) to the risk of revealing secrets for future government legislation, projects and projections etc as a consultant to an investment company- well- you must see the difference.

The 'jobs for the boys' deal, if it is true, was not what he was tried for- so in the context of this case, irrelevant. (though certainly worth investigation in its OWN right).

i anit really follwing this thread, but would like to say a simple statement.

My Lovley Thai wife who is now living happpily marrried with me is Australia for the last 1.5 years hates this guy.

when she sees his face she acts out shooting him with her fingers.

I consider my wife reflects the sediment all her family and friends in thailand feel.

And this comes from a sweet honest lovely person.

this surely speaks volumes that he must go. whatever the reason, i don't care, but my wife does.

Get rid of this person for the good of the country.

PS: Anyone who knows me and my past input to this forum, i would like to say things are going great.

Just bought a house here and have never been happier.

I wish all of you the best karma you deserve. :o

My wife is the opposite I don't dare show her ASTV when I bring it up on net it gets her all excited and she starts using the F word about PAD. I told her about the CNN,BBC and others laughing abut Samak getting booted for Cooking. She had a laugh about that. This from the real LOS

Edited by ubonjoe

I agree with you that most of the world will not remember this episode after tomorrow...but for those of us living here and those who care about Thailand the truth and the fact are very simple.

he stood trial and lost his job because he broke the law. further more as the judge said and I quote"There was also an attempt to fabricate evidence "to hide his actions".

The courts position is not to save face for Thailand ....as you suggested.... it is to Uphold the Law!!! and even the PM is not above the law.

On the contrary, the world will remember only that the Mickey Mouse country known as "Thailand" removed a Prime Minister over a minor travesty of the law involving a cooking show. Those of is who live or have lived in Thailand for any length of time and who do care about the people know full well that the Thai courts have little to do with upholding the law but are merely an extension of the political system. The courts were indeed used to save face by finding some trivial "legal" reason to remove Samak. Alas, by saving face for some they unintentionally caused a loss of face for the nation as the rest of the world is laughing hard at the pathetic antics of this banana republic.

Chaiyo!

Edited by Johpa

My wife is the opposite I don't dare show her ASTV when I bring it up on net it gets her all excited and she starts using the F word about PAD. I told her about the CNN,BBC and others laughing abut Samak getting booted for Cooking. She had a laugh about that. This from the real LOS

And where is this 'real LOS' located?

This could get interesting. Previous articles on where Samak would be destined in a post PM phase have often brought up the fact that he could be destined for the Privy Council.

If this is the case it would send a strong but indirect message to certain people and factions.

This would prove one of my theories, out of the three I have correct.

Of course can't discuss too much as against forum rules, so enough said.

I like your theory. Samak has ties to the royalists, the Army and Chamlong. My wife is convinced he's been a shill for them from the beginning, seeing as how none of the criminals he was forced to appoint really got to get their hand into anything. Thaksin sure didn't get his moneys worth did he?

Edited by lannarebirth

Well I am sitting in village about 85K from Ubon. Does that help.

Just meant it to be a bit of a jest.

It really shows the difference of opinion and deep down feelings in different parts of the LOS.

Edited by ubonjoe

It really shows the difference of opinion and deep down feelings in different parts of the LOS.

Seeing the amount of ignorance that some group of people have here, some more than others, I find the reference to 'real LOS', 'real American' or the likes and referring to rural backwards places a little disturbing.

This could get interesting. Previous articles on where Samak would be destined in a post PM phase have often brought up the fact that he could be destined for the Privy Council.

If this is the case it would send a strong but indirect message to certain people and factions.

This would prove one of my theories, out of the three I have correct.

Of course can't discuss too much as against forum rules, so enough said.

I like your theory. Samak has ties to the royalists, the Army and en Chamlong. My wife ids convinced he's been a shill for then from the beginning, seeing as how none of the criminals he was forced to appoint really got to get their hand into anything. Thaksin sure didn't get his moneys worth did he?

I think Thaksin was well aware of who he was choosing and the connections, and because of this I am not too sure how it fits together.

Unless of course he (Samak) gets the above for jumping ship ie. its a graceful exit for him out of a difficult situation. However it could have the useful side effect of silencing a few people who interpret it as an endorsement.

Just to bring many of you "up to speed". On September 25th, Samak is due to appear before the Supreme Court on his appeal to his 2 year jail sentence for defamation (no suspension of sentence allowed). In all likelihood his appeal will be denied, and he'll be whisked off to the slammer. (or skip town, etc) Second, the PPP is living on borrowed time, as it is a certainty the Constitution Court will dissolve them

The government is just buying time until they finish voting on all the budget matters still pending, and then the house will be disolved. All the PPP MP's will join the Puea Thai party, (Except those party execs who will be banned for 5 years, another forgone conclusion) and there will be another election, most likely early next year.

So, it really doesn't matter if he gets reappointed this week or not. He'll be gone soon enough. The rumblings coming my way say that the entire events upcoming in the next few weeks have been scripted already, and agreed upon by all parties involved.

Seeing the amount of ignorance that some group of people have here, some more than others, I find the reference to 'real LOS', 'real American' or the likes and referring to rural backwards places a little disturbing.

Just the opposite actually. You have people sitting in Bangkok and elseware making references to the uneducated and such. Earlier I saw a comment in a post that had "Nakon no where" in it.

I didn't jump on that one because it was so typical.