Fantasy Bar

kurgen

I went with a couple of mates to The Fantasy Bar in the Jomtien Complex for the 1st time yesterday and by 4 pm the place was heaving.

It's a large air conned bar inside with plenty of sofa's and comfy bar stool everywhere and with a huge "terrace" outside with tables and chairs.

The place is wall to wall marble, including the toilets which are the cleanest I've ever seen.

Drinks were served by one of about a dozen lovelies. :D

All bottled beers were only 40 baht !!!! :D:o:D

So if the owner of this nice gaff ( never met him/her ) can offer all this and sell beers for 40 baht, why the hel_l are some other greedy bastids offering beers at up to 100 baht a pop from poxy outdoor bars?

I know I'm rambling, this is due to still being alcoholically challenged, but the point I'm trying to make is that all these whingers moaning that there are no punters anywhere should try dropping there prices, tarting their bars up and employing friendly staff and then they might be rocking by 4 in the afternoon too.

And no, I don't have an interest in this place, just liked it a lot

PS. they also have "smoking rooms" upstairs, apparently :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. I would also like to suggest that if bar owners will be using the various forums for their free publicity, they should also be gentlemen when offering their opinions on other topics. I can think of at least 3 or 4 establishments I would not open my wallet in due to the fact that the owners come on Pattaya forums and are annoying. Hello Sho*****.

I went with a couple of mates to The Fantasy Bar in the Jomtien Complex for the 1st time yesterday and by 4 pm the place was heaving.

It's a large air conned bar inside with plenty of sofa's and comfy bar stool everywhere and with a huge "terrace" outside with tables and chairs.

The place is wall to wall marble, including the toilets which are the cleanest I've ever seen.

Drinks were served by one of about a dozen lovelies. :D

All bottled beers were only 40 baht !!!! :D:o:D

So if the owner of this nice gaff ( never met him/her ) can offer all this and sell beers for 40 baht, why the hel_l are some other greedy bastids offering beers at up to 100 baht a pop from poxy outdoor bars?

I know I'm rambling, this is due to still being alcoholically challenged, but the point I'm trying to make is that all these whingers moaning that there are no punters anywhere should try dropping there prices, tarting their bars up and employing friendly staff and then they might be rocking by 4 in the afternoon too.

And no, I don't have an interest in this place, just liked it a lot

PS. they also have "smoking rooms" upstairs, apparently :D

well if its that easy u go and buy a bar and waste ur money on rent and key money with wall to wall marble and sell ur beer at 40 baht and lets see how long u will last :(

I have been to this bar several times and completely agree with the OP.

However, I have heard that the owner is seriously loaded and his wife runs it as a hobby. I don't know how profitable it is but I suspect not very.

Apparently, the pricing there has also caused some issues with the owners of the surrounding bars.

But, from a customers point of view, it really is a great place to spend a few hours in the afternoon.

Oh BTW: It's all drinks at 40 Baht - including wine! I have never seen anywhere that is consistantly cheaper. Get there whilst it lasts!

Mate do the sums. What is the landed cost of a bottle of Singha? Even if he bought it by the pallet I'm sure he'd go broke selling it at 40bht.

Maybe he's buying old expired stock.

Sitting inside in a marble mauselium at 4pm all for the sake of drinking 40bht beer doesn't sound like fun to me.

I don't mind paying a fair price, sitting outdoors with good service and a nice atmosphere where I can people watch.

It's a good bar, busy every night, they hardly need to whip up more customers.

My only gripe is that the beer isn't really cold enough. I don't know if that's because they sell so much that the fridges can't keep up, or if the fridges are not set at a cold enough temperature to begin with.

If you spend a night drinking in this bar and then check bin, you'll have a very pleasant surprise if you are used to large Walking Street bar bills.

happyaussie

Sitting inside in a marble mauselium at 4pm all for the sake of drinking 40bht beer doesn't sound like fun to me.

I don't mind paying a fair price, sitting outdoors with good service and a nice atmosphere where I can people watch.

kurgen Today, 2008-09-10 02:22:13

with a huge "terrace" outside with tables and chairs.

Seems they have an outside people watching area too. :o

My only gripe is that the beer isn't really cold enough.

If this is the case, they'll never see me in there, and I'm sure most other Aussie beer drinkers will also give it a miss.

It's now my practice to 'test feel' the beer bottles before I order them and before they are opened. If they are not icy, I move on to the next bar. In so doing, I have now found some good bars that know how to serve beer. Unfortunately, they are few and far between.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

Ah dammit this is my local bar and now everyone will know about it.

Ok to fill in a few spots;

All the small size bottles of beer are 40baht as are a wide variety of shooters such as sambucca, etc. Buying a glass of wine is more expensive but still very affordable. Try the wine (glass) and cheese board for 250baht.

There is a seating area outside for smokers but there is also a smoking area UPSTAIRS. This is somewhat differently decorated and gives and indication of the origin of the name Fantasy Bar. If you go up another floor you will find out why it is also known as the "swing bar" - not that I know these things fist hand :o

Back downstairs take a look along the glass shelves running around the walls - there is probably the most extensive collection of spirits (bottled) in Pattaya there and all for sale.

Next door is my favourite pizza place - my regular is the pepperoni.

to the guys who think it is not possible to sustain this place and it is somehow a hobby bar destined to fail, don't hold your breath waiting - it has been around for a while and the number of regulars are plenty to keep the profits worthwhile.

CB

Where abouts in the Complex? Is it where that place Echoes used to be? If not is there anything where Echoes used to be? Seemed like that would be a good location for a bar.

Don't do it Jimmybkk, stay in Bkk its false economy with the cab fares n all. Just kidding I happen to be heading that way this weekend from Bkk so may check it out if the walking st beer garden has stopped selling Coronas at 60bht :o

Ah dammit this is my local bar and now everyone will know about it.

Ok to fill in a few spots;

All the small size bottles of beer are 40baht as are a wide variety of shooters such as sambucca, etc. Buying a glass of wine is more expensive but still very affordable. Try the wine (glass) and cheese board for 250baht.

There is a seating area outside for smokers but there is also a smoking area UPSTAIRS. This is somewhat differently decorated and gives and indication of the origin of the name Fantasy Bar. If you go up another floor you will find out why it is also known as the "swing bar" - not that I know these things fist hand :o

Back downstairs take a look along the glass shelves running around the walls - there is probably the most extensive collection of spirits (bottled) in Pattaya there and all for sale.

Next door is my favourite pizza place - my regular is the pepperoni.

to the guys who think it is not possible to sustain this place and it is somehow a hobby bar destined to fail, don't hold your breath waiting - it has been around for a while and the number of regulars are plenty to keep the profits worthwhile.

CB

wise words indeed cb, and something the next batch of future bar owners would do well to heed.

low profits high turnover works every time, i would rather sell ten beers at a dollar a pop than one beer at ten dollars a pop. customers draw in other customers, how many times have people walked past 10 empty bars to get to one that is full?

not everyone wants pestered with the tired old cliches, hansum man where you come from you buy me drink uttered by those who think their sh1t dont stink.

there is a market for these type of bars and thats why they will succeed, because somebody did there homework and found a niche.

best of luck to this bar, the owner and all who drink there.

Mate do the sums. What is the landed cost of a bottle of Singha? Even if he bought it by the pallet I'm sure he'd go broke selling it at 40bht.

Nothing wrong with a mature drink ! "Maybe he's buying old expired stock." .......its the mature women i dont like :o

If this is the case, they'll never see me in there, and I'm sure most other Aussie beer drinkers will also give it a miss.

It's now my practice to 'test feel' the beer bottles before I order them and before they are opened. If they are not icy, I move on to the next bar. In so doing, I have now found some good bars that know how to serve beer. Unfortunately, they are few and far between.

Us brits will fill the place ! ........we love warm beer :o

this is an old trick ,i did it years ago ,sold beer and spirits for 30b to knock out competion ,once that was done put the price up slightly every couple of weeks ,gets you known quickly and crowds attract ,beats paying fortunes on advertising ,this worked for me and 14 years later im one of the most successful bars on koh samui ,known worldwide ,had tv programmes done on me and the bar ,take avantage of there prices as they wont last ,the funny thing is when they put there prices up people will still go there ...

Never had a warm beer there yet.

CB

I have been to this bar several times and completely agree with the OP.

However, I have heard that the owner is seriously loaded and his wife runs it as a hobby. I don't know how profitable it is but I suspect not very.

Apparently, the pricing there has also caused some issues with the owners of the surrounding bars.

But, from a customers point of view, it really is a great place to spend a few hours in the afternoon.

Oh BTW: It's all drinks at 40 Baht - including wine! I have never seen anywhere that is consistantly cheaper. Get there whilst it lasts!

First... I absolutely agree with kurgen - this is my favourite bar in Jomtien/Pattaya! :D

Yes........ the owner has "some" money. :o

He owns the section where the bar is + another section where he lives, - and he bought "cheap" many years ago when Jomtien Complex was a "ghost town" :D

No ....the wife does not run it as a hobby, but his gf manages the bar - and he supervises - and manages the economy.

The bar has already been there for several years, and has not done any promotion.

So it's not a night fly trying to squeeze other bar by selling cheap drinks.

The philosophy "low cost - high turnover" is something the owner has experienced well with other businesses earlier in his life.

I've never been served "warm" beer the times I've been there. :D

Even though beers and wine are available at 40 baht, you can also from the huge selection in the shelfs (if you want) get a special Cognac at 5000,-/glass.

A great place to "chill out" - especially for those who have been to all the "ordinary" bars :D

Checked it out // 1 hour ago?

Wow! previously i passed by it thinking it was just some kind of sports bar

but I can confirm that the beer is 40 baht - even for Heiniken! and they had

an incredible range of spirits like gay goose vodka(very expensive at foodland)

for about 100 baht a glass. And yes the beer was cold.

Also the second floor is..well..maybe some of you might remember the "dark side" of Grissom

in CSI..looks like similar pleasures may be available...

Overall the most surprising bar I have encountered yet in Pattaya.

And VERY low key..look on the street if you want to see the sign.........there almost isnt any...

He owns the section where the bar is + another section where he lives, - and he bought "cheap" many years ago when Jomtien Complex was a "ghost town" :o

This is how he can sell the beers so cheaply then, no overheads.

About 8 years ago I was talking to the owner of my regular bar on Walking Street comparing his 90 Baht beers to the Wunderbar (then on Beach Rd. / Soi 8) 40 Baht beers.

The answer was quite simple, key money of 1 million Baht and rent of 40,000 Baht a month. I bet it's more now.

Ah, the COMPETITORS start coming out of the woodwork! :o

I had quite a few beers during the 4 hours I was there and all of them were very cold, neither of my friends mentioned warm beer eit :o her

Thanks for the info - I'll have to go back and try it again. Maybe they had enough complaints about the beer being cool rather than cold and did something about it? I've been drinking in KR Bar lately where they do keep the beer at the right temperature, but it costs 70 Baht a bottle.

But the stuff the colonial cousins drink has to be frozen to kill the taste - no Marstons Pedigree in Oz, nor draught Speckled Hen. No Abbot's Ale. No Theakstone Old Peculiar. No Smiles Exhibition.

It's all that lager muck. (Same as Pattaya)