Fantasy Bar

kurgen

I drank in a beer bar all last night and consumed several bottles of beer for 40 baht a bottle. Run by an American (top guy), been there 3 years, 4 piece band and he does ok. What people forget is when the prices are low you don't mind buying ladies drinks and drinks for the band. There are several long term successful bars around Pattaya that can do Tigers and Singhas for 40 baht and Hienekens for 50.... :o

Which bar and where?

cheers

CB

Lock and Load bar off soi Bhuakhou..... the continuation of Pattaya new Plaza off second road. :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I can assure you to turn over 1000 bottles of beer (41 cases) a day you'd need more then just a bit of a crowd. That's 200 people averaging 5 beers each...

It certainly seems a bit far fetched to me also.

My question is, how many fridges are in The Fantasy Bar for the exclusive use of cooling beer bottles? I can't imagine that there would be more than two.

From my reckoning, as viewed from the customer side of the bar, an upright fridge holds approximately 100 bottles. If the turnover of bottles is anywhere near 1000 per day, two fridges would need to be restocked at least five times per day.

If so, there is no way that beer bottles can be sold icy cold. The door to the fridges would be constantly opening and closing making it virtually impossible to keep the contents cold.

If the bar owner uses ice buckets, the cost of replenishing the ice would not allow beer to be sold cheaply.

I've never visited this bar so I'll be guided by those who have.

maybe they have a chiller room out back

There will always be those who agree........

and those who disagree...........

Some even like their tea.......

for free.......

while others like to watch tv..........

Me..........

I like Fantasy :o

Been there yesterday, impressive place.

It's a bit to big and square to my liking, but the proper sofa's get a thumbs up from me.

They have a huge offering of spirits, I'm pretty sure the biggest I've ever seen in Pattaya! And at very reasonable prices, including some premium brandy or something at 8,500 Baht/glass :o

The thing I found lacking (and this is obviously personal) is the utter lack of atmosphere. When we were there the crowd definitely was not, early in the evening there were some 20 customers there, which in a place that big makes it look almost deserted, maybe half of them were outside on the terrace, the rest inside, and when we left at around 10 PM there were about 6 customers left. Heaving it was not. Especially for a Friday.

They proudly advertise not having a TV nor a pool table, the music is very low profile, so I got a bit of a factory canteen feeling. I'm guessing it's more of an afternoon place, since the Friday evening could be considered dead. You do really to need to have crowd in there.

And the staff seem to have an extremely rigid set of rules to follow.They have an upstairs "smoking" room (no smoking allowed downstairs) but you have to smoke. If you do not light up you have to leave the room and go back downstairs. We were not a big group, but were told basically they couldn't care less if we spent some money up there just go down again... Weird.

My personal opinion, I'm not really bothered about the price of my beer, but I'd rather go to a place with some entertainment and pay a little premium for that.

As for the financial viability of the place, nobody can make another guys books, so not much point in arguing about it. I just hope that the 80 something Baht (on 11 beers) profit they got out of our group's beer consumption will help pay the staff :D

I will go their again on a lazy afternoon one day, they have some spirits there I haven't seen since a very looong time, but it sure is of my list of things to do on a Friday night...

i think that Monty has summed it up nicely in his description.

my group of friends and i have been to Fantasy bar few times.

the first time i went i referred to it as like being in an airport lounge

the name has stuck amongst us, i think it fits admirably.

i have been to séances that have had more atmosphere...........

Been there last night with Monty and can only second his comments. Downstairs rather boring place that would not make me go back there for any reason. Upstairs nice atmosphere and decoration :o ...but since none of us wanted to smoke a cigarette we were asked to go back downstairs.

We paid our bills and moved on to Walking street, happily paying more than twice as much for drinks for a quadruple of entertainment.

Hmmm, I can assure you to turn over 1000 bottles of beer (41 cases) a day you'd need more then just a bit of a crowd. That's 200 people averaging 5 beers each...

My question is, how many fridges are in The Fantasy Bar for the exclusive use of cooling beer bottles? I can't imagine that there would be more than two.

From my reckoning, as viewed from the customer side of the bar, an upright fridge holds approximately 100 bottles. If the turnover of bottles is anywhere near 1000 per day, two fridges would need to be restocked at least five times per day.

If so, there is no way that beer bottles can be sold icy cold. The door to the fridges would be constantly opening and closing making it virtually impossible to keep the contents cold.

If the bar owner uses ice buckets, the cost of replenishing the ice would not allow beer to be sold cheaply.

ever heard of cooling rooms for foods and drinks?

To NOT believe that a bar can sell as LITTLE as 1000 bottles of small beer in 8 - 12 hours is simply naive.

Give it time and the prices will go up.

Never been in, but was told its a gay bar, true or not?

Looking 4 a change from Sunee Plaza are we pp?

Nah, just thought it, was an area for people who bat for the other side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You know all the boys with the white tee shirts and all that. :o

Nah, just thought it, was an area for people who bat for the other side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I know what you mean, the purple satin tank tops! But there's some gem bars hidden in among those 'switch-hitters' places. I guess the trick is to avoid eye contact and stride manfully past those... on second thoughts, maybe that's exactly NOT what to do.

ever heard of cooling rooms for foods and drinks?

To NOT believe that a bar can sell as LITTLE as 1000 bottles of small beer in 8 - 12 hours is simply naive.

Yes, I have heard of cooling rooms and I know that certain large bars have them installed, but.....

...my question was made in relation to the Fantasy Bar, not other establishments. So you have still failed to answer my question. Are you in a position to state what drink cooling system/s they use?

Many beer bars would be able to sell 1000 bottles of beer during a days trade in high season, especially if they are located in a busy area with regular customers. Some rely on an active 'happy hour.' With no active 'happy hour' and in low season, many poorly located bars struggle. Again, I'll ask you....does the Fantasy Bar exceed 1000 beer bottle sale every day, high or low season?

If you read my last post properly you would understand that I have never been to this particular bar...do you have first hand knowledge or not?

a group of friends and i went to fantasy bar last night at around 6pm

it was moderately busy, no obvious 'campers' of any note that have been suggested to frequent Fantasy by others on this forum.

the smokers section upstairs opens up new possiblities for even non smokers to have a smoke

if you have been there you will understand what i mean

if you haven't, go and have a look

usual low prices, usual hostesses of no great note but delivering the usual good service and the usual airport lounge atmosphere........

the night improved greatly however when we visited a new restaurant just across the road called ''Cafe Ritz''

it offers simple but stylish surroundings with a set menu at 275 for 3 courses

there were about 6 mains to choose from

they delivered tasty food, with very substantial portions and many big carafes of wine at 250 each to wash it all down ensured a grand night was had by all.

the desserts were an ensemble of Brit favourites which included spotted dick, bread and butter pudding and even sherry trifle which was delicious

the assembled (and by now rowdy) throng delivered a boisterous and unanimous 5/5 verdict

this is a place that really deserves to do well.

good luck to them, we all agreed we will be going back for more

it was moderately busy, no obvious 'campers' of any note that have been suggested to frequent Fantasy by others on this forum.

the night improved greatly however when we visited a new restaurant just across the road called ''Cafe Ritz''

they delivered tasty food, with very substantial portions and many big carafes of wine at 250 each to wash it all down ensured a grand night was had by all.

the desserts were an ensemble of Brit favourites which included spotted dick, bread and butter pudding and even sherry trifle which was delicious

the assembled (and by now rowdy) throng delivered a boisterous and unanimous 5/5 verdict

Is that the old Gay bar, under jomtien complex!!!!!!!!

Is that the old Gay bar, under jomtien complex!!!!!!!!

don't know, i am not a regular in the jomtien complex or any gay bars

sounds like you know your way around though.........

Well if you can't tell the difference between a boy in a white T-Shirt & 95% of the other bars in the complex where theres ladies in short skirts theres no hope for you! :D

I can see business going up dramatically in this, and other bars in this area, when the new Tops super market opens just across from the bar. Foot traffic should increase dramatically and the old Jomtien Complex could finally be a busy place.

Maybe this is WEATHERSPOONS first venture into Thailand.For those not familar with Weatherspoons ITS WHAT THEY DO IN THE uk BUY UP BEER NEAR THE SELL BY DATE AND SELL CHEAP

Your the first person to make me feel homesick. Just reading [ jdwetherspoon.co.uk ] makes my taste buds run. They sell for almost half the price charged by other "Combines" in my local town. Some people claim it is short dated, but still tastes good to me. (With 702 pubs and the volume they sell, it cannot all be short dated). I love their Thursday curry night where you get a curry and a pint for only ...No, I am not going to make you cry.

BACK ON TOPIC: I will try the Fantacy Bar, as I already plan to visit Ritz Cafe, on the recommendation of a friend who is hard-to-please but raved about the place.

name='Humphrey Bear' post='2219534' date='2008-09-17 08:14:19']
maybe it's about time to open up a white T-shirt shop around there?

With a big TV on the front

For transvestite of course

:D:D:D

and to the rest of you.

No not a complex, just a school boy giggle for a little bit of jomtien that makes me laugh as i walk past. :D

and yes i know pattaya and jomtien very well.

been in thailand a few years.

Have a nice day. :o

Edited by plasticpig

"Worldwide beer bar" - Soi 7 - Tiger @ 35 baht 24x7 - Open air beer bar

"Chang Noi bar" - Soi 7 - Tiger @ 40 baht - not an open air beer bar

just Two off the top of my head that charge sensible prices for beer and have been in business for more than 5 years.

Feel free to slag 'em off, maybe they can't sustain the business, maybe they don't make a profit, maybe something else blah, blah blah. Personally any open air beer bar that charges more than 40/45 baht for a tiger is a rip off, they have to have something 'out-of-the-ordinary' to make more than 45 baht VFM.

Take an afternoon stroll down Sois 7/8 and you will see that the Worldwide bar is generally full of customers paying 45 baht, all of the surrounding bars (which charge > 50 baht per bottle) are void of customers, yes they are empty and remain like that most of the season.

"Worldwide beer bar" - Soi 7 - Tiger @ 35 baht 24x7 - Open air beer bar

"Chang Noi bar" - Soi 7 - Tiger @ 40 baht - not an open air beer bar

just Two off the top of my head that charge sensible prices for beer and have been in business for more than 5 years.

Feel free to slag 'em off, maybe they can't sustain the business, maybe they don't make a profit, maybe something else blah, blah blah. Personally any open air beer bar that charges more than 40/45 baht for a tiger is a rip off, they have to have something 'out-of-the-ordinary' to make more than 45 baht VFM.

Take an afternoon stroll down Sois 7/8 and you will see that the Worldwide bar is generally full of customers paying 45 baht, all of the surrounding bars (which charge > 50 baht per bottle) are void of customers, yes they are empty and remain like that most of the season.

Yes very true. well said.

But look at the fools in the afternoon down soi 7 and 8, no, shirt, tats, no brain. :D

No thanks i walk on by. up the soi , on a baht bus, next stop Soi 6. spot on afternoon.

enjoyment.

:o:D:D:D

I've lived right across the street from Jomtien Complex for 4 years and know most of the restaurants and a few of the bars --

I had never heard of the "Fantasy" Bar --

Tonight, on a quick jaunt to one of my favorite JC eateries, I decided to take a minute to poke around and see if I had actually missed the "Fantasy"

I hadn't -- it's a Fantasy -- it doesn't exist!

For anyone hoodwinked enough ( as I briefly was ) to make a trip to Jomtien -- don't waste your time.

( Actually, for the next person stupid enough to think that just what Pattaya/Jomtien needs in another Bar -- "Fantasy" might be just the right name . . . :o

I've lived right across the street from Jomtien Complex for 4 years and know most of the restaurants and a few of the bars --

I had never heard of the "Fantasy" Bar --

Tonight, on a quick jaunt to one of my favorite JC eateries, I decided to take a minute to poke around and see if I had actually missed the "Fantasy"

I hadn't -- it's a Fantasy -- it doesn't exist!

For anyone hoodwinked enough ( as I briefly was ) to make a trip to Jomtien -- don't waste your time.

( Actually, for the next person stupid enough to think that just what Pattaya/Jomtien needs in another Bar -- "Fantasy" might be just the right name . . . :o

It must have been a quick jaunt, Fantasy Bar has been open 2 years or so, and is next to the Italian Restaaurant directly across the street from Coyote!

I,m not going to comment on the pricing structure as I also have a bar in the Complex but it is a pleasant enough place if you have to watch the pennies. I prefer the 2 Donna Bar next door. (No that is NOT my bar!)