Fantasy Bar

kurgen

Seems to be a lot of people here willing or wishing to believe that it is a roaring success because they like cheap beer it sounds like ?

Now unless you sell pussy or food you only get one income stream and that is beer (and other drinks). Now some bars which own the building or the land even and don't pay rent or are small places where the owners are Thai and only need Thai wages can survive eking out a few baht profit on bottles of beer. Now the ROI is rubbish but way over their head.

Presuming rent being paid with key money or even using a reasonable internal ROI if outright purchase, then nowhere and I mean nowhere can survive on any number of cheap charlies supping Bt40 beers. Sorry, Carrefour can.

Even on this 1000 bottles which takes a heck of a lot of chilling I'll tell you (I think the max I sold in one day was about 500) and the big fridges can hold a maximum of about 150-180 bottles then you have logistics problems because if you were selling 1000 a day you'd have to chill say 1200 to 1500 to cover daily intra product volatility. Ice is the only realistic quick method or run some massive cold room or perhaps 6 fridges.

Even with say 10 baht GP on a bottle that makes Bt10,000 a day. Now a/c burns money as do staff and the other 100+ costs punters never see. Even if his costs are 5k and he makes 5k or 150k a month then it is a very poor return on the size of the place.

Of course we don't know the real numbers but wishful thinking and talk like "he's doing alright" are just the words of optimists. Now sell 5000 bottles a day and we are talking.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy sells cheap beers and has a busy bar.Thats good enough for me.The rantings of bar owners discussing the pro's & con's is of no interest.

Trying to justify why you sell at 80 baht or whatever is of no interest.100 people drinking at 40 baht is better than nobody drinking at 80 baht.

EPG.

I've lived right across the street from Jomtien Complex for 4 years and know most of the restaurants and a few of the bars --

I had never heard of the "Fantasy" Bar --

Tonight, on a quick jaunt to one of my favorite JC eateries, I decided to take a minute to poke around and see if I had actually missed the "Fantasy"

I hadn't -- it's a Fantasy -- it doesn't exist!

For anyone hoodwinked enough ( as I briefly was ) to make a trip to Jomtien -- don't waste your time.

( Actually, for the next person stupid enough to think that just what Pattaya/Jomtien needs in another Bar -- "Fantasy" might be just the right name . . . :o

Well i dont live anywhere near Jomtien Complex, but i managed to find it at the first attempt, so you must have been wandering around with your head up yer hoop!

Take an afternoon stroll down Sois 7/8 and you will see that the Worldwide bar is generally full of customers paying 45 baht, all of the surrounding bars (which charge > 50 baht per bottle) are void of customers, yes they are empty and remain like that most of the season.

That's true, the WW BB is a Pitstop for me as well from time to time. At least there are some people and the beer is cold and cheap. Nothing more to expect, but a nice place.

Cheers

Seems to be a lot of people here willing or wishing to believe that it is a roaring success because they like cheap beer it sounds like ?

Now unless you sell pussy or food you only get one income stream and that is beer (and other drinks). Now some bars which own the building or the land even and don't pay rent or are small places where the owners are Thai and only need Thai wages can survive eking out a few baht profit on bottles of beer. Now the ROI is rubbish but way over their head.

Presuming rent being paid with key money or even using a reasonable internal ROI if outright purchase, then nowhere and I mean nowhere can survive on any number of cheap charlies supping Bt40 beers. Sorry, Carrefour can.

Even on this 1000 bottles which takes a heck of a lot of chilling I'll tell you (I think the max I sold in one day was about 500) and the big fridges can hold a maximum of about 150-180 bottles then you have logistics problems because if you were selling 1000 a day you'd have to chill say 1200 to 1500 to cover daily intra product volatility. Ice is the only realistic quick method or run some massive cold room or perhaps 6 fridges.

Even with say 10 baht GP on a bottle that makes Bt10,000 a day. Now a/c burns money as do staff and the other 100+ costs punters never see. Even if his costs are 5k and he makes 5k or 150k a month then it is a very poor return on the size of the place.

Of course we don't know the real numbers but wishful thinking and talk like "he's doing alright" are just the words of optimists. Now sell 5000 bottles a day and we are talking.

I was in Fantasy with a larger group earlier this month. I was drinking wine (higher margin) and eating food (higher margin). If everyone drank beer at 40THB he obviously wouldn't make money. I was drinking Black/Water, one other friend was drinking 100/water. We bought a few drinks for the ladies, etc., etc :o ...

Basically, if it wasn't in the owners interests (financial or otherwise) he wouldn't be in business like he is. Since it's been there for years, it would seem to reason that he's at least breaking even or it is providing him some benefit. One thing is for sure; it is a great place.

"mod like crow boy" <-- Any chance of a translation into English?

Dream on little Broomstick Cowboy -- it's a Fantasy! :o

Sorry did i spell it wrong. :D

Now as we can all sea, after 4 years over the road from jomtien complex

you know F/A.

what a fountain of knowledge you are. Not !!!!!!!!

Think you need a nick name how about

BS-Surftrader

Try getting out a bit more or even coming to Thailand, one year. :D:D

Have a nice day. :D

Edited by plasticpig

OH, Sorry! -- Thought you said Fun-Tasy Bar! :o

( probably the best hidden obscure Bar this side of Shanghai )

Looks inviting, but tonight @ 9:30 -- completely empty - a vast wasteland --

I've heard that there's a radical new technology that might have helped locate this place in less than 90 Thai Visa postings over 11 days -- Not sure, but someone said it might be called a M-A-P :D

Maybe some day this new-fangled gadget will find its way to this corner of the world while we're all still on the planet . . .

OH, Sorry! -- Thought you said Fun-Tasy Bar! :o

( probably the best hidden obscure Bar this side of Shanghai )

Looks inviting, but tonight @ 9:30 -- completely empty - a vast wasteland --

I've heard that there's a radical new technology that might have helped locate this place in less than 90 Thai Visa postings over 11 days -- Not sure, but someone said it might be called a M-A-P :D

Maybe some day this new-fangled gadget will find its way to this corner of the world while we're all still on the planet . . .

I assume you also need a M-A-P from your house as well to find the bathroom then.

To be honest I had to take a bit of a look around to find it (actually another member was guiding me on the phone :D ) but I did find it and it is indeed not a fantasy :D

and I said..turn......turn!! TURN!!!!! turn around a bit more....see me?

:o

To be honest I had to take a bit of a look around to find it (actually another member was guiding me on the phone :D ) but I did find it and it is indeed not a fantasy :D

:o

I think he did see you, and you were not his Fantasy ! :D

:D

I think he did see you, and you were not his Fantasy ! :D

That would be desirable to say the least... :o

• 8 months later...
I went with a couple of mates to The Fantasy Bar in the Jomtien Complex for the 1st time yesterday and by 4 pm the place was heaving.

It's a large air conned bar inside with plenty of sofa's and comfy bar stool everywhere and with a huge "terrace" outside with tables and chairs.

The place is wall to wall marble, including the toilets which are the cleanest I've ever seen.

Drinks were served by one of about a dozen lovelies. :D

All bottled beers were only 40 baht !!!! :D:):D

So if the owner of this nice gaff ( never met him/her ) can offer all this and sell beers for 40 baht, why the hel_l are some other greedy bastids offering beers at up to 100 baht a pop from poxy outdoor bars?

I know I'm rambling, this is due to still being alcoholically challenged, but the point I'm trying to make is that all these whingers moaning that there are no punters anywhere should try dropping there prices, tarting their bars up and employing friendly staff and then they might be rocking by 4 in the afternoon too.

And no, I don't have an interest in this place, just liked it a lot

PS. they also have "smoking rooms" upstairs, apparently :D

It's depend on how much keymoney and rental they have to pay. It's sometime not the barowner who is greedy, mosthly it is the landlord with their keymoney ideas. I guess in Jomtien area it is much cheaper to rent a bar than in the walking street. I'm absolutely not a barowner. But somehow they have to support their bisiness, pay retals, keymoney, salaries, license fees, etc. Some barowners have to make a living, some not, they just do this business as a hobby. Therefore we have to understand why different prices. I have a car rent business and there is the same thing. We rent brand new cars for a grand per day, cheap charlies comes and complain, that we are to expensive, they rent cars somewhere for 500 Baht (10 year old ones without correct rental car insurances. But multinational companies take 1400 for the same car. It's just a example, there are always some peaple who want complain about everything. In the barbusiness it's the same. A nice Agogo Bar in the walking street can't have the same price as a beerbar in Jomtien.

It's no secret that the POMS prefer to drink warm beer. They also love to drink hot tea...with their li'l pinky raised in the air.

Will it ever come to pass that their beer and their tea will be consumed at exactly the same temperature? Can you imagine having to blow on your beer before taking a sip or dunking a biscuit into a frothy beer?

It's enough for we Aussies to up anchor and float Australia further away from Britain. :D

Think you are already as far as you can get unless you go closer to Tassie & that's not where ya wanna be.

:)

I went with a couple of mates to The Fantasy Bar in the Jomtien Complex for the 1st time yesterday and by 4 pm the place was heaving.

It's a large air conned bar inside with plenty of sofa's and comfy bar stool everywhere and with a huge "terrace" outside with tables and chairs.

The place is wall to wall marble, including the toilets which are the cleanest I've ever seen.

Drinks were served by one of about a dozen lovelies. :D

All bottled beers were only 40 baht !!!! :D:):D

So if the owner of this nice gaff ( never met him/her ) can offer all this and sell beers for 40 baht, why the hel_l are some other greedy bastids offering beers at up to 100 baht a pop from poxy outdoor bars?

I know I'm rambling, this is due to still being alcoholically challenged, but the point I'm trying to make is that all these whingers moaning that there are no punters anywhere should try dropping there prices, tarting their bars up and employing friendly staff and then they might be rocking by 4 in the afternoon too.

And no, I don't have an interest in this place, just liked it a lot

PS. they also have "smoking rooms" upstairs, apparently :D

It's depend on how much keymoney and rental they have to pay. It's sometime not the barowner who is greedy, mosthly it is the landlord with their keymoney ideas. I guess in Jomtien area it is much cheaper to rent a bar than in the walking street. I'm absolutely not a barowner. But somehow they have to support their bisiness, pay retals, keymoney, salaries, license fees, etc. Some barowners have to make a living, some not, they just do this business as a hobby. Therefore we have to understand why different prices. I have a car rent business and there is the same thing. We rent brand new cars for a grand per day, cheap charlies comes and complain, that we are to expensive, they rent cars somewhere for 500 Baht (10 year old ones without correct rental car insurances. But multinational companies take 1400 for the same car. It's just a example, there are always some peaple who want complain about everything. In the barbusiness it's the same. A nice Agogo Bar in the walking street can't have the same price as a beerbar in Jomtien.

Not a bad reply but if you still have cars on your forecourt at 1000 Baht per day don't you ever think you might have rented them out at say 800 Baht per day? Higher prices do not always equal greater profits, the key is striking that happy medium where both seller and buyer are happy and clearly some bars are cutting their own throats trying to maintain prices that the customers are not prepared to pay. It's all very well fleecing a tourist, though he may well go to another destination next year, but if you kill your year round regular custom you are really in trouble.