When Does A Non Imm O Start & Finish?

Hi, I'm really unsure about this, can anyone clarify this for me.

I have a Non imm O, but, when did my Non imm O start exactly?

My visa was issued on 18/09/07 & valid until 18/09/08.... Does my visa of one year begin on 18/09/07 or when I arrived?

I arrived 19/11/07... Does this then mean that I can stay until 19/11/08?

Thanks for looking

Your last entry has to be before 18 September 2008. You can stay for 90 days from that entry date.

So, for example, if you enter on 17 September 2008, you can stay until 16 December 2008. But, once you leave after 17 September 2008, that visa is no longer valid.

Think of the visa as an entry permit...the stamp that you get on entry determines how long you can stay.

My next question...have you been out of the country since 19 November 2007? Your visa permits you to stay in Thailand no more than 90 days for each entry. Even if you go outside and come back the same day, that is fine...the infamous visa run.

Edited by mgjackson69

Your last entry has to be before 18 September 2008. You can stay for 90 days from that entry date.

So, for example, if you enter on 17 September 2008, you can stay until 16 December 2008. But, once you leave after 17 September 2008, that visa is no longer valid.

Think of the visa as an entry permit...the stamp that you get on entry determines how long you can stay.

My next question...have you been out of the country since 19 November 2007? Your visa permits you to stay in Thailand no more than 90 days for each entry. Even if you go outside and come back the same day, that is fine...the infamous visa run.

Hi,

I am in Thailand now, I have done 3 runs already. My last stamp is until 13/10/08. Could I get another 90 days after that date, do you think?

So, I can keep doing runs upto 1 year after entering... have I got that right?

When would my visa finish up then, 19/11/08?

Edited by meithai

No, you can do runs until the last day your visa permits you to enter.

Your last entry can be 17 September 2008.

Forget about your initial entry date (19 November 2007). It is irrelevant...the "enter before" date is what is important. And that does not change.

Remember - The visa lets you enter the Kingdom...the stamp lets you stay here.

If you stay in-country on your current stamp, you have to leave no later than 13 October.

If you leave any time between 18 September and 13 October, your visa is done. You cannot re-enter the Kingdom on that visa.

If you leave and re-enter anytime between now and 17 September, you will get 90-days stay from the date that you re-enter. And your visa is still done after 17 September 2008.

So, if you leave on 17 September 2008 and come back in the same day, your stamp will permit you to stay until 16 December 2008.

If I was in that situation, I would not do it on 17 September...any sort of snag, you do not make it back in that day, your visa is done.

Do your visa run on 15 or 16 September. Stay until 14 or 15 December.

Forget about your initial entry date (19 November 2007). It is irrelevant...the "enter before" date is what is important. And that does not change.

If you stay in-country on your current stamp, you have to leave no later than 13 October.

If you leave any time between 18 September and 13 October, your visa is done. You cannot re-enter the Kingdom on that visa.

If you leave and re-enter anytime between now and 17 September, you will get 90-days stay from the date that you re-enter. And your visa is still done after 17 September 2008.

So, if you leave on 17 September 2008 and come back in the same day, your stamp will permit you to stay until 16 December 2008.

If I was in that situation, I would not do it on 17 September...any sort of snag, you do not make it back in that day, your visa is done.

Thanks for the info....

So then, what has got me so confussed is this quote I saw on a site:

Thai One Year Visa FAQs

''For how long is the Thai visa valid? Until when am I allowed to enter Thailand after I obtain the Thai visa?

Upon receiving the Thai visa, you are required to enter Thailand within 6 months, or your Thai visa will expire. By the time you enter Thailand that is when the one year will start. So you are approved and receive your Thai visa on the 1st of June, you have to fly to Thailand by the 1st of December. Then if you arrive in Thailand let's say, the 30th of November, your one year visa will be up by the 30th of November the next year.'' from : http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa-fa...r-visa-faq.php 

Forget what you read on that site. It is wrong. It would be correct only for a visa that is valid for 6 months from the date of issue, which could for example be a tourist visa valid for more than one journey to Thailand issued by some, but not all, Thai consulates.

The "that is when the one year will start" makes no sense in the context of the text you quoted. I did not bother to read the web page to which you linked, knowing that the website in question is famous for giving wrong information.

--

Maestro

Forget what you read on that site. It is wrong. It would be correct only for a visa that is valid for 6 months from the date of issue, which could for example be a tourist visa valid for more than one journey to Thailand issued by some, but not all, Thai consulates.

The "that is when the one year will start" makes no sense in the context of the text you quoted. I did not bother to read the web page to which you linked, knowing that the website in question is famous for giving wrong information.

--

Maestro

What bull & thay charge $400, for what cost me $0, to sort out. Amazing some people, companies!

Edited by meithai

RE: the quote from the website:

First of all, it is a very poorly worded, a poor translation from Thai to English.

Second of all, it is incorrect.

My more cynical side has to wonder if that website might give erroneous "free" information, to cause someone some problems, for which they then might turn to an "agent" to help them sort... :o

Hi, I'm really unsure about this, can anyone clarify this for me.

I have a Non imm O, but, when did my Non imm O start exactly?

My visa was issued on 18/09/07 & valid until 18/09/08.... Does my visa of one year begin on 18/09/07 or when I arrived?

I arrived 19/11/07... Does this then mean that I can stay until 19/11/08?

Thanks for looking

deleted.. I have to some more research on this.. :o

Edited by neion2000

Thanks for spelling this out for me... it's extremely valuable to me.

On what basis was your Non Imm "O" issued? You might be eligible for a 1 year extension that would not require 90 day entry stamp runs. Now would be the time to apply.

TH

Hi,

It was granted on the grounds that I am allowed to seek work (qualified with papers) & visit friends.... I'm under 50 also. Thanks for pondering.

Edited by meithai

My visa was issued on 18/09/07 & valid until 18/09/08....

What exactly does your visa say? Valid one year exactly from the date of issue doesn't compute.....

Maybe things have changed, but it used to be that if a one-year visa had an issue date of 18/09/07, then the last day you could enter Thailand on it would be 16/09/08 (as 17/09/08 would be your "utilize before" date).

For example, the old ink stamped visas (which some honorary consulates still use) would say: "Must be utilized before" 17/09/08, using the example in the previous paragraph, where the issue date is 18/09/07. In every case, the 'utilize before" date would be the day before the issue day, one year down the road. And so the last day you could enter Thailand would be one year from issue date, less two days.

The newer sticker type visas would say: "Date of Expiry 17/09/08 (again, using the same example). But again, one year, less one day down the road from the issue date.

To me, not as clear as 'utilize before.' But, I bet if you tried to enter on 17/09/08, Immigration would say, "sorry visa expired." (Actually, they probably wouldn't say anything, but just stamp you in with a 30-day exempt stamp.) Anyway, not 100% sure on this latter situation -- but I sure wouldn't want to chance it.

Anyway, just a 'heads up' in case you plan to cut a border run super close.

What exactly does your visa say? Valid one year exactly from the date of issue doesn't compute.....

Maybe things have changed, but it used to be that if a one-year visa had an issue date of 18/09/07, then the last day you could enter Thailand on it would be 16/09/08 (as 17/09/08 would be your "utilize before" date).

For example, the old ink stamped visas (which some honorary consulates still use) would say: "Must be utilized before" 17/09/08, using the example in the previous paragraph, where the issue date is 18/09/07. In every case, the 'utilize before" date would be the day before the issue day, one year down the road. And so the last day you could enter Thailand would be one year from issue date, less two days.

The newer sticker type visas would say: "Date of Expiry 17/09/08 (again, using the same example). But again, one year, less one day down the road from the issue date.

To me, not as clear as 'utilize before.' But, I bet if you tried to enter on 17/09/08, Immigration would say, "sorry visa expired." (Actually, they probably wouldn't say anything, but just stamp you in with a 30-day exempt stamp.) Anyway, not 100% sure on this latter situation -- but I sure wouldn't want to chance it.

Yes, old ink style. It says 'Utilize Before'

Edited by meithai

''For example, the old ink stamped visas (which some honorary consulates still use) would say: "Must be utilized before" 17/09/08, using the example in the previous paragraph, where the issue date is 18/09/07. In every case, the 'utilize before" date would be the day before the issue day, one year down the road. And so the last day you could enter Thailand would be one year from issue date, less two days.''

With an old ink stamp, do you think I will be safe to get 3 months if I go out & back in on 16/09/08?

Looking in my passport:

I have 5 "sticker-type" visas from Thailand.

1) Non-B 1-year Multi - Date of Issue 18 May 2004, Date of Expiry 17 May 2005 (last entry on this one was 10 April 2005, the permitted to stay was 9 Jul 2005, exit was 23 May 2005)

2) Non-B 90-day Single - Date of Issue 02 Jun 2005, Date of Expiry 01 Sep 2005

3) Non-B 90-day Single - Date of Issue 25 Jul 2005, Date of Expiry 24 Oct 2005

4) Non-B 1-year Multi - Date of Issue 20 Dec 2005, Enter Before 19 Dec 2006

5) Non-B 90-day Single - Date of Issue 1 May 2008, Enter Before 31 July 2008

It looks like the verbiage changed sometime between July and December 2005, based on the above.

''For example, the old ink stamped visas (which some honorary consulates still use) would say: "Must be utilized before" 17/09/08, using the example in the previous paragraph, where the issue date is 18/09/07. In every case, the 'utilize before" date would be the day before the issue day, one year down the road. And so the last day you could enter Thailand would be one year from issue date, less two days.''

With an old ink stamp, do you think I will be safe to get 3 months if I go out & back in on 16/09/08?

I would say your last day to enter is the day before the "Enter Before" date. Some will argue that you can enter on the "Enter Before" date, and some will even claim to have done so...maybe true, maybe bullshite...but I would not risk it. My life has enough drama without creating more to potentially get one more day or to "get away with something".

It looks like the verbiage changed sometime between July and December 2005, based on the above.

"Enter Before" seems a lot more explanatory than "Date of Expiry." Have not seen the new stickers, but it would seem they were probably changed in response to confusion with "Date of Expiry," leading some to believe that was the last date they could enter (but not the case, I would think).