Fxxxxxx Rain!

moo9

I'm now down to accessing the internet on my laptop using a GPRS aircard

Welcome to the club :D

I guess even a UPS won't protect your from a direct lightning strike :o

I think a UPS plus a lightning rod is better protection. Lightning rod height should be the maximum length you want protected divided by 2.14 (I think - google lightning rods)

Chok dee next time.

I'm now down to accessing the internet on my laptop using a GPRS aircard

Welcome to the club :D

I guess even a UPS won't protect your from a direct lightning strike :o

I think a UPS plus a lightning rod is better protection. Lightning rod height should be the maximum length you want protected divided by 2.14 (I think - google lightning rods)

Chok dee next time.

Naam is 100% correct . The only way to prevent a possible short out on any electrical device is to unplug the device from the outlet . A good blast from a lightning strike can go through your surge protection as it is only for a minor spike in voltage not a complete dump of mega frying voltage.

In 1970 My 66 mercury got hit in a rainstorm by a bolt of lightning & it smoked my car stereo. I mean smoked-nearly lit in flames. Good thing cars are mounted on rubber wheels!

Living around Lake Mabprachan I can assure you the current constant downpour is a godsend.

Levels were alarmingly low considering we are at the end of the rainy season, but right now you can see the level rising just looking at it!

Now the one thing I don't like is lightning.

I had roughly 100,000 Baht damage done yesterday by a direct lightning bolt hit.

Almost all network ports on equipment (modem, router, hubs, about 10 PC's, network printer etc. all blew up from the static and little blue sparks raging through my place. A few PC's blew up altogether, and each single piece of equipment was behind a UPS :o

I'm now down to accessing the internet on my laptop using a GPRS aircard, all the rest died on me...

same sh.t happend last week to me in belgium 3 pc 1 xl deysub printer 2 tv's 1 freezer lucky we have insurance but still lot 700€

What's all the fuss about..??

September has historically been the month with far more rainfall than any other month.

No big deal...except like Harley due (moo9), I also sometimes suffer, when riding my motorcycle in a heavy downpour....

...but a few km/miles later the rain stops and I'm dried by the tropical sun [uh, sometimes... :o ]

Actually October is usually the biggest in terms of rain. Still never mind I still do not think it will cause a Tsunami now will it. Although I do remember the big rain of 2006 when the second road flooded for hours. Beach road was scary then. I went past soi 6/1 and there was a gusher coming out of the drain system. now that was rain my friends.

TT002890_bangkok.gif

for the slowest in the class :D the big light blue bar next to September means it will rain, a lot. almost twice as much as say jun/july. yes i know this is ave temps and rain for BKK but Pattaya can't be too dissimilar.

I may be "the slowest in the class" but do know the weather in Bangkok is a lot different to Pattaya :o

Pattaya Bangkok

January 19.1mm 9.1mm

February 13.5 29.9

March 52.3 28.6

April 67.3 64.7

May 176.6 220.4

June 79.4 149.3

July 76.8 154.5

August 90.5 196.7

September 201.8 344.2

October 249.4 241.6

November 133.6 48.1

December 4.1 9.7

1164.4 1496.8

About 22% more rain annually in Bangkok, fascinating, no allowance for global warming though :o

September has historically been the month with far more rainfall than any other month.

No big deal...except like Harley due (moo9), I also sometimes suffer, when riding my motorcycle in a heavy downpour....

...but a few km/miles later the rain stops and I'm dried by the tropical sun [uh, sometimes... :o ]

Actually October is usually the biggest in terms of rain. Still never mind I still do not think it will cause a Tsunami now will it. Although I do remember the big rain of 2006 when the second road flooded for hours. Beach road was scary then. I went past soi 6/1 and there was a gusher coming out of the drain system. now that was rain my friends.

I agree that October is the biggest in terms of rain. We who stayed in Pattaya Oct.1983 never forget the BIG rain, we had 450mm of rain in one month, Beach Road collapsed and I have some pic and post them when I find them.

Edited by allexx

post-1360-1221950115_thumb.jpgpost-1360-1221950128_thumb.jpgpost-1360-1221950148_thumb.jpg

I agree that October is the biggest in terms of rain. We who stayed in Pattaya Oct.1983 never forget the BIG rain, we had 450mm of rain in one month, Beach Road collapsed and I have some pic and post them when I find them.

A few photos from the big rain in October 1983.