Animal Armageddon In Kpn Tonight

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry about the short notice but i just heard, the police are going to be shooting anything with 4 legs tonight in KPN so keep your pets home, midnight to 6am.

Hi Steve can you please explain, is this a normal occurance as in twice a year or something ? Has something gone feral or are the meat supplies running low ? .. :o

Never read something so unbelievable!

The bullets are so expensive in Thailand and is hard to believe the local cops will loose time, money and sleeping time to do that.

P.S.: Here in Haad Rin 1200 pm to 0600 am is the peak time for four-legged people...

Edited by angiud

The (Thai) wife just called (Thu 11:55pm) KPG's main police station near the ampur, and the policeman on duty said that they are not going to shoot anything tonight. His voice seemed genuine, so I hope his reply is true.

There was a time in KPG when K9 culling was the norm twice a year, but (thanks mostly to PAC's heroic efforts) let's hope this practice has gone the same way as dynamiting the coral reefs, a thing of the past.

Police are not going to shoot dogs. But, given the demise of PAC, most likely they are poisoning dogs again. I know that PAC campaigned very hard to have this practice stopped so presumably now that they are no longer practicing, the local govt feels its the only way to deal with stray issues.

Sorry to say but pick-up loaded with dead dogs spotted in Thongsala this morning.

Unfortunately this sad news is also confirmed by another reliable source. Many dead k9 along the old Chinatown road, so no more strays near the mayor's house (blue house opp Numpanit).

Called the KPG local municipal office (tessaban) this afternoon, and they plan a second poisoning tonight (12am-5am Sat), followed by another "cleanup" in the morning.

Deadly bait will be placed along the main roads in Thongsala (specially around the taxi holding area), and main road all the way as far as Bantai village.

This action was ordered by the local Lord Mayor (Nayok Tedsamontree) "Mr OK", and will be an annual event in KPG.

Word on the street is that there may be some locals following and cleaning up after the bait team this morning.

PAC has been actively involved in stopping previous culls, and apparently this may have upset some of the officials in charge of the budget to control the island's dog population. Unfortunately PAC has been effectively silenced for the time being... :o

Let's hope the poor guys that die tonight, do so quickly and with minimal pain if possible...

why will they spend money and time on poisoning the dogs but they won't spend money and time on getting them spayed and neutered to cull the population? i think it's sick.

Totally agree with you, but this is Thailand, they seek only the quick fix to the promblem!!! ... if they had a brain, they would neuter, thus they wouldnt have to do this every year!!!!

But what about the other animals that pick up the bait, or peoples pets???

is there anything that can be done, thus they do not carry out this sick act????

On another note ( and probably not the best time to mention this ) but has anyone thought of contacting the international press with pictures and evidence???, as surly some of the UK press and RSPCA would pick this up and put in the paper, thus the TAT would put a stop to it???

why will they spend money and time on poisoning the dogs but they won't spend money and time on getting them spayed and neutered to cull the population? i think it's sick.

Totally agree with you, but this is Thailand, they seek only the quick fix to the promblem!!! ... if they had a brain, they would neuter, thus they wouldnt have to do this every year!!!!

Never saw a single dog in China, and there the police is not killing animals....

Anyway what surpised me is the terrible situation of cats in LOS. I love cats and the thai breed is very beautiful, but they are all around skinny. With all the restaurants cooking fish they should be all very fat orange colored fur ball :o

It's better i do not know what the restaurants are doing with all the left over.....

can anyone take pictures of the dead dogs or any other evidence please?

this is disgusting and should not happen in a wealthy place like kp. girlx is right, this is sick, cruel and evil. this cannot be accepted :o

why can pac not operate again, why don't you kp people not set up a shelter/neuter programme. if many give a little it makes a big difference.

is there anything that can be done, thus they do not carry out this sick act????

On another note ( and probably not the best time to mention this ) but has anyone thought of contacting the international press with pictures and evidence???, as surly some of the UK press and RSPCA would pick this up and put in the paper, thus the TAT would put a stop to it???

It would seem to be a very good idea to get the press involved. Lovely headlines.."holiday paradise poisons pets etc".

right!

something has to be done about the dog and cat misery. it would be so easy...

the government should set up castration clinics for free castrations. i hate to see people with tiny puppies, ohhhhh they are soooo cuuuuuuute!!! and then a few months later (if they survive) you can see them roam the neighbourhood neglected and getting pregnant and so on. then they can choose a new cute toy and let the other 'nuisance' be killed by such acts. i wonder where are peoples hearts???!

Wish they would do this in Phuket where the place is over-run with strays (neutering and spaying hasn't diminished the problem).

So you advocate putting animals to a lingering, painful death by poisoning? That is shameful.

The neutering of strays HAS diminished the problem.

Wish they would do this in Phuket where the place is over-run with strays (neutering and spaying hasn't diminished the problem).

So you advocate putting animals to a lingering, painful death by poisoning? That is shameful.

The neutering of strays HAS diminished the problem.

I have heard this bit of "dogma" before.

The theory is that if you put a neutered dog back into it's territory, it will defend that territory from other stray dogs. Because the dog is neutered, the stray population won't increase in the area.

I decided to check this out. A few years ago in Rawai, there were a lot of dogs neutered and released. After two weeks, all those dogs had been forced out of their territories by more aggresive dogs that still had their equipment intact.

This arguement by the Dog Foundations is a fallacy from what I have seen. This strategy may work where the stray population is light, but, when it is overwhelming, as in Phuket, it just doesn't work.

No, I really don't want to see the dogs suffer, I'd rather they drug the meat so that they just go to sleep, but, until there is a sea change in the attitude of keeping dogs as pets, one that I don't expect to see in my life-time, then feral dogs should be treated for what they are. Vermin.

If you have had friends suffer serious injury through road accidents caused by strays, or, watched a child pee their pants from fright, or, been nipped by one of these curs, or, being unable to take your own pet dog for a walk because of aggressive strays, then you might change your attitude.

The stray dogs on Koh Phangan are a nuisance and I am happy to see that they are finally realizing this problem. I don't know why they have to be killed though. Can't they just all be rounded up and taken somewhere else, like Samui. :o

Can bring them here, and we will neuter and spay them.

Totally agree with you, but this is Thailand, they seek only the quick fix to the promblem!!! ... if they had a brain, they would neuter.........edited...

Sorry, I am certain that they have as much 'brains' as we assume we may have....there is the alternative NOT to leave it to the authorites - but to take things in ones own hands.... founding an NGO Animal Support Shelter whatever, like the Samui Dog Rescue and stop blaming officials who have to follow oders, who do have to work with a certain budget.... and are not necessarily simply "mad men".

To put the blame on some people, pointing fingers at them and cry "foul", will create opposition, division and will only help to create a formidable situation nobody needs and which doesn't help to solve a problem.

Has been checked why this action is taken - rabies prevention?

What action could be taken to solve this problem instead of sitting comfortably in the "armchair" and crying FOUL!

Anybody contacted the Samui Rescue, people in higher places, yet?

...they plan a second poisoning tonight (12am-5am Sat), followed by another "cleanup" in the morning.

Went to Thongsala 3 & 5am Sat with camera in hand with the intention to post some pics of the aftermath, but could not find any animals on the streets at all, dead or alive.

Yesterday evening I found a distraught older Thai woman near the Post Office, whose very well-liked and gentle large 12yo dog had died around 8am that morning after a night of unimaginable suffering. She had taken her dying pup to the pet shop to try and help him, but unlike (still fire-gutted) PAC they were unable to do much to help him. And she had kept her pup indoors from Friday's killings, but had not counted on the culling resuming in the same area on the following night. The pet shop owner estimates that more dogs died in Thongsala on this second round of killings than on the previous night.

This poor sobbing woman then took me by the hand to the area behind the market, and the carnage I found there is well beyond my ability to put into words. A dead mother with four of her seven tiny pups also dead around her, one little survivor (for now) still walking around in a daze. Several other dead dogs (and one cat), some laying in pools of their own bloody vomit hemorrhaged from both ends. I could not bring myself to take a single pic - these gruesome photos would have been totally unsuitable for posting anyway.

To proponents of the argument that dogs are vermin and their population should be controlled by any means, I would ask them to witness the kind of terrible long-lingering suffering that these poor animals go through as their internal organs shut down slowly in the most painful way imaginable. There are other more humane ways to cull animals, albeit somewhat more expensive - i.e., the allocated budget for controlling k9 population in KPG would need to be diverted from self-interested pockets.

There is plenty of evidence to support the argument that the biggest vermin on this planet are homo sapiens, but only a psychopath would propose the kind of terribly painful and unnecessary extermination witnessed in KPG.

Homo sapiens — Latin for "wise human" or "knowing human" - more like "wisdom and knowledge without compassion". This cruelty to man's best friend suggests we still have some way to go...

what ashame you did not take any pictures!!!! not for posting here on this forum but to show the world and animal organizations etc. not to condemn the local authorities who don't know any better or have no means for other solutions. but to find help, means and setup for a better life for the animals there and improvement of stray situation (ie neuter/spay, medical care, shelter and rehome)

these pics would have been able to change the life and fate of the streetdogs there in the future.

a similar thing is happening in turkey at the moment where authorities clean up the tourist areas just before season starts, big mass graves with up to 5500 dead dogs were found in that area by animal activists. it is a big scandal now and this just cannot happen!!!

on an island like that where lots of money is made with western tourists and even locals keep animals as pets, there should be humane ways possible to handle this problem.

...they plan a second poisoning tonight (12am-5am Sat), followed by another "cleanup" in the morning.

Went to Thongsala 3 & 5am Sat with camera in hand with the intention to post some pics of the aftermath, but could not find any animals on the streets at all, dead or alive.

Yesterday evening I found a distraught older Thai woman near the Post Office, whose very well-liked and gentle large 12yo dog had died around 8am that morning after a night of unimaginable suffering. She had taken her dying pup to the pet shop to try and help him, but unlike (still fire-gutted) PAC they were unable to do much to help him. And she had kept her pup indoors from Friday's killings, but had not counted on the culling resuming in the same area on the following night. The pet shop owner estimates that more dogs died in Thongsala on this second round of killings than on the previous night.

This poor sobbing woman then took me by the hand to the area behind the market, and the carnage I found there is well beyond my ability to put into words. A dead mother with four of her seven tiny pups also dead around her, one little survivor (for now) still walking around in a daze. Several other dead dogs (and one cat), some laying in pools of their own bloody vomit hemorrhaged from both ends. I could not bring myself to take a single pic - these gruesome photos would have been totally unsuitable for posting anyway.

To proponents of the argument that dogs are vermin and their population should be controlled by any means, I would ask them to witness the kind of terrible long-lingering suffering that these poor animals go through as their internal organs shut down slowly in the most painful way imaginable. There are other more humane ways to cull animals, albeit somewhat more expensive - i.e., the allocated budget for controlling k9 population in KPG would need to be diverted from self-interested pockets.

There is plenty of evidence to support the argument that the biggest vermin on this planet are homo sapiens, but only a psychopath would propose the kind of terribly painful and unnecessary extermination witnessed in KPG.

Homo sapiens — Latin for "wise human" or "knowing human" - more like "wisdom and knowledge without compassion". This cruelty to man's best friend suggests we still have some way to go...

Jose

I can well understand your horrifying experience it is just too upsetting for words that humans can behave so badly.

These creatures have done nothing to deserve such a terrible fate.

As Elfe says please try to get some photos, or anyone else on K.P. No matter how upsetting they may be, it is probably the only way anything will get done.

Samui Express..where are you?

Gator

Samui Rescue doesn't seem to have any impact at all on the stray dog population from what I can see. The place is overrun with strays.

Something should be done. Nurturing is a futile exercise IMHO, but I find poisoning abhorrent. Rounding up strays and humanely putting them down may cost a few Baht, but I think the population who have allowed the situation to become so out of hand, and in many instances have contributed to it, should have the decency to not baulk at paying that price.

these dogs are not 'feral' they are the same as your beloved poodle pet. they are just neglected and not taken care of. they used to be pets, or at least their forefathers. people treat them as toys as long as they are cute puppies and then forget about them. they are still depending on the human, their food waste and as you can see most of them get sick if not taken care of, unlike feral animals.

a dog is used as 'man's best friend' and not as meat supply like cattle, sheep and pigs. these animals are bred and killed for their meat/wool. dogs are not for that purpose (usually).

not everyone has to love dogs, so up to you. dogs are highly intelligent (compared to cattle and sheep) and many breeds are used as working dogs for many purposes in the west (guidance for blind people, hunting dogs, rescue dogs, guard dogs, police dogs, etc)

the mix stray dogs are not less intelligent, though their intelligence is more focused and used for their fight to survive. if taken in and trained (or not) they make wonderful and intelligent pets.

it is a shame for human society to treat such wonderful creatures this way. the lucky ones are pampered in nice homes, the unfortunate ones are gotten rid of in gruesome way. but selfish and heartless people find this a good way.