Foreigners Unfazed By Situation

Ajarn

Foreigners unfazed by situation

By SUNDAY NATION

Published on September 7, 2008

More than 50 per cent of foreign visitors view the recent clashes between pro- and anti-government demonstrators as "normal" in a democratic system.

The clashes led to the declaration of a state of emergency. However, most visitors are happy about their trips and would return.

Abac Poll director Noppadon Kannika said yesterday a survey conducted between Tuesday and Friday, which quizzed 532 foreign tourists and business people in Thailand for the first time, found most knew about the street riots and emergency declaration.

Almost 60 per cent viewed the incidents as normal in a democratic system.

Some 49 per cent said they were affected by the protests, including travel-plan disruptions due to airport closures and railway strikes.

However, they were generally satisfied with Thailand, including the culture, food, tourist attractions as well as safety of life and property.

They were less satisfied about politics, economy and social justice.

The visitors' overall happiness scores before and after the clashes were almost the same - 8.02 and 8.06 out of 10 respectively, Noppadon said.

A group of 97 per cent said it will visit again despite the recent incidents and 99 per cent said it would encourage others to visit the kingdom, he said.

Noppadon said these visitors had probably seen activists in other countries and believed the political turmoil here would end peacefully because the riots had stopped.

Foreigners unfazed by situation

By SUNDAY NATION

Published on September 7, 2008

More than 50 per cent of foreign visitors view the recent clashes between pro- and anti-government demonstrators as "normal" in a democratic system.

The clashes led to the declaration of a state of emergency. However, most visitors are happy about their trips and would return.

Abac Poll director Noppadon Kannika said yesterday a survey conducted between Tuesday and Friday, which quizzed 532 foreign tourists and business people in Thailand for the first time, found most knew about the street riots and emergency declaration.

Almost 60 per cent viewed the incidents as normal in a democratic system.

Some 49 per cent said they were affected by the protests, including travel-plan disruptions due to airport closures and railway strikes.

However, they were generally satisfied with Thailand, including the culture, food, tourist attractions as well as safety of life and property.

They were less satisfied about politics, economy and social justice.

The visitors' overall happiness scores before and after the clashes were almost the same - 8.02 and 8.06 out of 10 respectively, Noppadon said.

A group of 97 per cent said it will visit again despite the recent incidents and 99 per cent said it would encourage others to visit the kingdom, he said.

Noppadon said these visitors had probably seen activists in other countries and believed the political turmoil here would end peacefully because the riots had stopped.

Hey Larry,

I was at Suvarnabhumi Airport the other day. I met a number of foreign tourists (many) who were really pissed off with being delayed for 5 days in Phuket and other "resorts". None were smiling.

School schedules were missed, not to mention work commitments. Tourism suffers yet another stab in the guts.

Cheers,

Blink E. Bill.

I never had you down as someone who beleives the printed word Larry

From recent conversations I have had with business owners in CM the oulook is grim for high season this year.

Joe public booking his holiday in our high season has a vast choic eof places to go.....why would he want to come here after what he reads in the press in his own country

I never had you down as someone who beleives the printed word Larry

From recent conversations I have had with business owners in CM the oulook is grim for high season this year.

Joe public booking his holiday in our high season has a vast choic eof places to go.....why would he want to come here after what he reads in the press in his own country

I printed it for other people to read. Though it is largely a PR stunt for the Nation and the Kingdom, I tend to believe it more than a few farags here. I think that there is no reason to skip Thailand because of what is going on here. The Phuket folks were complaing because the airport was on strike a few days, nothing that was going on in Bangkok was bothering anybody, it seems to me. For the PAD, the only way they have been effective is to close an airport. I don't think it will expand beyond what it already has, but who's to know now?

Business owners always complain. I don't have any reason to believe them over my own opinions.

This is clearly an example of what the statisticians call a "skewed sample". They were interviewing tourists that were here in Thailand, whereas what the tourism industry has to worry about is obviously the ones that have decided not to come here :o

/ Priceless

I have to admit that after a walk with the wife last night passed some tourist hang outs it was slower then any september I remember.

Even my wife which does not comment on such matters offen said, "how sad"

The Political headlines are just a small part of the fundamental forces which are causing decreasing tourist visits. The larger influences are higher airfares and energy prices and a global recession that started in the US and is just taking hold in Europe and spreading out from there. Thailand is headed into a whopper of a recession after an orgy of negative real interest rates and growth encouraging economic policies.

what the tourism industry has to worry about is obviously the ones that have decided not to come here :o

/ Priceless

If they have decided not to come here, what is the point in worrying about them?

Well, let's think............ Maybe to look for ways to prompt them to review their decision and to avoid others making the same decision?

Duh............

what the tourism industry has to worry about is obviously the ones that have decided not to come here :o

/ Priceless

If they have decided not to come here, what is the point in worrying about them?

They might have previously planned to come, but changed their minds :D In other words, they are the ones that the tourism industry had hoped would fill their hotel rooms, eat in their restaurants, drink in their bars, take their sightseeing tours etc.

The ones that have actually come are nothing to worry about, are they?

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

They might have previously planned to come, but changed their minds :D In other words, they are the ones that the tourism industry had hoped would fill their hotel rooms, eat in their restaurants, drink in their bars, take their sightseeing tours etc.

The ones that have actually come are nothing to worry about, are they?

/ Priceless

The ones who decided not to come are not worth worrying about because they have decided and the opportunity for them has passed. Water under the bridge.

The ones that are undecided are the ones to worry about because they offer a chance to get someone to come.

what the tourism industry has to worry about is obviously the ones that have decided not to come here :D

/ Priceless

Well, let's think............ Maybe to look for ways to prompt them to review their decision and to avoid others making the same decision?

Duh............

Why should we even be thinking along the lines of "look for ways to prompt them to review their decision" as whichever way you look at it this country has a he11 of a long way to go before it ever gets into the real world.

How many coup's "is it eighteen to date"

A bunch of self serving politicians who are 100 % "hen ga tua"

Thailand is a joke on the world stage and will remain that way until such time as they get their act together.

"think of what they can do for the country, not what the country can do for them" Do you think that these guys will do this in your lifetime (or your grand childrens) :o

Personally, I have no problem with fewer farangs visiting Thailand. I think it would be a better place to visit if there was no Pattaya scene available in the country for farangs

Maybe you are right, but there is a"Pattaya" type scene for foreigners and it is not going anywhere because a few expats don't like it. Under the current circumstances, all fewer foreigners means during a financial slowdown is less money for people who could really use it.

what the tourism industry has to worry about is obviously the ones that have decided not to come here :D

/ Priceless

Duh............

Why should we even be thinking along the lines of "look for ways to prompt them to review their decision" as whichever way you look at it this country has a he11 of a long way to go before it ever gets into the real world.

Thailand is a joke on the world stage and will remain that way until such time as they get their act together.

"think of what they can do for the country, not what the country can do for them" Do you think that these guys will do this in your lifetime (or your grand childrens) :o

jbg, the number of tourists that do or don't come here has very little direct impact on me nor, I suspect, on you (unless you're involved in the tourism industry) - so the "we" in your first sentence is out of place. Priceless' very sensible point was "what the tourism industry has to worry about is obviously the ones that have decided not to come here".

Like UG, I certainly do feel something for the people (Thai and expat) who depend on the income that they get from foreign visitors. As others have said and judging by what I am hearing around CM, it does look like the coming "high" season will be grim.

P.S. 18 coups in Thailand since WW2 and about 60 Italian governments in the same period - take your pick. Thailand's politicians don't have a monopoly on needing to get their act together........

/ Priceless

Duh............

Worry about them means to prompt them into action and/or analyze their reasons? Must be some kind of new speak which I apologize for being unfamiliar with.

/ Priceless

Duh............

jbg, the number of tourists that do or don't come here has very little direct impact on me nor, I suspect, on you (unless you're involved in the tourism industry) - so the "we" in your first sentence is out of place. Priceless' very sensible point was "what the tourism industry has to worry about is obviously the ones that have decided not to come here".

Like UG, I certainly do feel something for the people (Thai and expat) who depend on the income that they get from foreign visitors. As others have said and judging by what I am hearing around CM, it does look like the coming "high" season will be grim.

P.S. 18 coups in Thailand since WW2 and about 60 Italian governments in the same period - take your pick. Thailand's politicians don't have a monopoly on needing to get their act together........

Quite frankly I couldn't give a shyt if no tourists ever came to the realm. But at the end of the day it will be (whether they come or not) because of the way that they perceive the country to be.

I have had a deep and enduring passion for the country for quite a number of years but I will if asked, tell it exactly the way it is. I will not embellish the positives if I do not consider them to be inappropriate or inaccurate.

That is the difference between making the picture glossy because of what the benefits are to me (or other members) or what the negatives are to me. I do not have any financial interests in whether the country prospers or not.

At the risk of repeating myself the problems (of tourists wanting / not wanting to visit the realm) are not created or caused by me but by the very people that benefit (or are penalised) if they do / do not come.

Another case of TIT

p.s. if you tell it in any other way you are as guilty as the people who say " no sar's, no avain flu, no problem"

Edited by john b good

Wouldn't surprise me if it was 65 or 70 percent that were unfazed. This is Thailand(TIS); :o you either love it and live with it or you leave. :D

I agree with your premis, but it applies to folks who have visited before and know that the political situation is safe if not stable. The way to measure

the next " high season" as I see it, is to count the number of cancellations (sp) in the last month from airlines and tour operators, this would give a "real"

insight into what is happening in the minds of potential visitors. Everything else is pure speculation.

Today's profit were a measly 600 baht - last year the daily profits in mid September were in the range of 3-1200 Baht a day. No way would I ever take a day with maybe only 400 B to pocket as a meaure of how things are going in Thailand. Certainly September is low as always - is it actually lower than always?

/ Priceless

Duh............

Worry about them means to prompt them into action and/or analyze their reasons? Must be some kind of new speak which I apologize for being unfamiliar with.

For your enlightenment: The "new speak" is called "marketing".

If you don't know what's keeping them away, you don't have much chance of finding ways to make them change their minds. Analysis comes first, actions thereafter.

/ Priceless

Oh, now I get it, "worry about" means do marketing analysis. Just can't imagine why that was not clear to me at the start. New business terminology is fantastic. Does that have anything to do with the terrific overall state of business today? Anyway, thank you for the enlightenment.

Things like this could cause an occasional dip, things like this in competing countries could cause an occasional spike. As will the general economic situation, which isn't that great right now especially in the USA.

But frankly I think the biggest threat to tourism in Thailand is the perception that Thailand gets too many tourists. (And/or is too Westernised, along with the rising cost of air travel.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

/ Priceless

Duh............

For your enlightenment: The "new speak" is called "marketing".

If you don't know what's keeping them away, you don't have much chance of finding ways to make them change their minds. Analysis comes first, actions thereafter.

/ Priceless

Not to worry (no pun intended), Priceless - rest assured that we don't need a survey to be confident that 99% (I think it's actually 100% :D ) of people reading what you wrote had zero problem understanding it............ notwithstanding posts to the contrary.

But frankly I think the biggest threat to tourism in Thailand is the perception that Thailand gets too many tourists. (And/or is too Westernised, along with the rising cost of air travel.)

Most of us realize that despite a lot of Thai-style 7/11s, Thailand is probably the least Westernized country in the region due to never being colonized. That is one of the reasons that Thailand gets so many tourists. Another reason is that it is so safe. I guess that you can't please everybody! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

/ Priceless

Duh............

I don't see that as a deterrent for tourism and wonder why you brought it up. I've traveled in Thailand during much worse political climates than we're seeing now and still enjoyed it very much.