Interesting Things Around Chiang Mai

trav3501

I've been to chiang mai the last four years and have hit the regular spots and even some out of the way day trips. What I am looking for are odd or different trips near chiang mai, chiang rai, pai to do. Caves, parks, tea plantations, etc. Not villages, elephants. Thanks

I visited the refurbished museum at the 3 Kings square recently and was pleasantly surprised.

Chang Dao is always a nice day out.

Mae Salong (a 6-hour drive) is a beautiful KMT/Thai town in the mountains. You can visit tea plantations, a KMT museum and take a 5-hour pony trek around the surrounding villages.

There's that national park around 15km past Ratchapruek along the canal road. Don't remember the name but a beautiful gorge.

There's that national park around 15km past Ratchapruek along the canal road. Don't remember the name but a beautiful gorge.

could I get added details about how to get to that 'beautiful gorge' - thanks.

That sounds like Opkhan National Park. post-498-1221448216_thumb.jpg

Other things to suggest:

-Wat Umong: A forest temple with caverns below. Near CMU.

-Huay Tong Taew lake: Nice place for lunch and an outdoor massage. North of town a bit on Canal Road.

-Mae Kam Pong: 60 KM east of CM on HYY 1317. A few nice resorts, lots of micro-climates and waterfalls and few tourists. Flight of the Gibbon is at the base of the mountain as well. Steep road over a pass and then hot springs on the other side with camping. Good two or three day trip on a motor-bike

-Mae Taeng: 40 minutes north of CM. Check out the dam, Buoatong Falls (waterfall from a spring that is built on freshly deposited minerals. Fun for climbing and napping), and Wat Ben Den.

-Sameuong Loop: Buy a GT-Rider map for the Mae Sa Valley and take a day to do this 90 KM loop.

Have fun! There is a ton of stuff to do within an hour or two of Chiang Mai. Explore and enjoy!

Went to Wat Umong for the first time on saturday - not very well signposted but a great place once there. Watch your step as there is a slick layer of moss on most of the concrete surfaces and it's easy to go ar*e over t*t! Nipper loved the muddy lake with big catfish & turtles.

Went to Huay Tung Tao for the umpteenth time yesterday - nipper fishing with a bucket & net, loads of Thais splashing around, Pikey filling himself up with Leo whilst watching all the fun and Mrs Pikey happy to drive us home - perfect!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Just wanted to say that this is an excellent idea for a thread.

I hope many will contribute so we can have a "live" and growing list of ideas & of places beyond the beaten trails for visiting friends and relatives, as well as for ourselves. I'll try to contribute later.

grabbing a big bike from tony`s and having a day trip to doi inthanon national park is always a great head clearer =) i guess thats a regular spot though right???

Also try Doi saket and visit the temple on the top.....not very similar too doi suthep BUT a site too see......

i think trekking on a bike (motor) is the best way!

Junki reminds me of another thing to do in CM that is out of the norm. Rent a bicycle and go to Tapae gate any Sunday morning at 7 AM. The CM Sunday Cycling Club rides every week and you will see things you would never find as a tourist. Group is mostly Thai, includes all ages and abilities, and they welcome everyone, especially visitors. They start off with a short ride around the city, stopping at various places, and then around 8:30 the group reconvenes at Tapae Gate for a longer ride from 40 to 120 KM. Check out www.cmcycling.org for a schedule. It is more of an exploring/social group rather than an aggressive biking club.

I do trekking on a motorcycle and a bicycle, but I find I see a lot more and meet a lot more people on the bicycle. Plus, it keeps you in good physical shape.

How about more ideas on Interesting Things to Do and See around Chiang Mai?

I've been to chiang mai the last four years and have hit the regular spots and even some out of the way day trips. What I am looking for are odd or different trips near chiang mai, chiang rai, pai to do. Caves, parks, tea plantations, etc. Not villages, elephants. Thanks

Chiangrai has a winery situated across a lake (park on one side an boat over). It also has a resort for those that want to stay over night and enjoy some of their wines with a nice meal. Their email address is: [email protected]; you can find their web site via google or email them.

I asked Khun Nantarat Tangvitoontham about the winery and tours and here is what he replied:

We have the valley tour twice a day at 10.00am and 2.00pm. So, your group are very welcomed to join the tour. We also can set up the private tour for your group. The minimum persons is 6 persons. The cost per person is 250 baht per person. This includes wine testing, vinyard tour, winery tour, tea plantation tour, tea testing, gem cutting factory tour and all transport within the valley.

The resort guests are normally discounted for the valley tour. The cost per person is 200 baht per person. And, I don't think that there are any affect the tour if some people stay there and some do not.