Who Do You Call In The Case Of A Break Down?

ZZZ

Thai AAA. Service must be able to speak English.

There is a 'Thai Automobile Association' - however I believe they are really just an owner's club that organize events rather than offer a break-down service. They have a web-site, mostly in Thai.

There is a network of tow & repair providers across the country, I am aware that one means of accessing that service is through an add-on extra availible through one or two (a few?) insurance company's First Class insurance cover. I do not know of any other nationwide organised service like this.

My own plans should I require such assistance would be via contact with the local police - they will have the details of local firms that tow away wrecks and these companies will be within the car repair network locally.

As for a Gold Star telephone support service with mobile English, French and Latin speaking patrols stationed to be at your side within 20 minutes of an assistance call with a spare Engine Control Unit... I think we are off into the realms of fantasy. Once you leave the first class world of the airport, Thailand itself is a bit more bamboo and bent coat hanger - if you know what I mean.

Local motor cycle taxi drivers will sort out most problems for you at a slight surcharge.

Best service ever )))

Honda have that kind of service around country.

I've used one time in Bangkok because had some problem with the battery.

They have English speaking operators and the service guy come by motorbike after 15 min and fix the problem. This service free of charge.

I think Toyota and other manufacturers has the same service

I've been very happy with Car World Club, who have helped me on a number of occasions. They do speak English on their emergency number.

Great - never heard of this group before (I have Googled for road side rescue before when I was looking for such a service) can you indicate rough costs.

Have you called them out when outside Bangkok ?

Do they fix road side or just tow away?

These guys are a global outfit and have bilingual technicians.

http://www.mondial-assistance-thailand.com..._assistance.htm

We have signed up, but not had use for their services as yet, so I can't vouch for that!

If they are connected with travel insurance company of the same name here in Oz they are 'R' soles!

Before they settled my claim they did everything to delay paying up. Three months it took!

I've used CWC before, very good and quick service. I think the first emergency is free. I had a battery gone dead on me.

The membership came free when I changed tires at the Goodyear Eagle store. However I didn't renew the fees because I never used them after. If my car does have a problem I just park it and take a taxi back home. In the morning I call my local shop and they will take care of it for me. Usually dealers have onsite service and towing.

Just in case check your credit card policies. SCB has a service, I think others do also.

I've been very happy with Car World Club, who have helped me on a number of occasions. They do speak English on their emergency number.

Great - never heard of this group before (I have Googled for road side rescue before when I was looking for such a service) can you indicate rough costs.

I think the annual cost is about 1,900 baht. For that, as a far as I remember, you get three free tows up to 40Km. I've been towed three times, once off the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway, and twice from Pattaya to Chonburi (before there was a GM dealer in Pattaya). On the third occasion, which was a Sunday, the motorbike rider said "If you had a Toyota I could have fixed it today". I sold my Opel soon after, and bought a Toyota. Since then I've never had to call them out!

They fix roadside when they can.

I was just browsing expatmotors, a TVisa sponsor-see masthead, and at the bottom of their current veh stock listing at http://www.expatmotors.co.th/stock.html they offer the following:

'We can now offer break down recovery from 2,000 Baht per year for any car or truck.' Seems OK.

BTW, I do wish they would get around to actually publishing the price list at their NewPricesBanner.jpg page - it's been empty for months (dare I say year) despite their disclaimer that Full updated price list coming soon...... :o Yes, I know, new cars and ipso prices are only just coming on the market now (Sep '08); but, then they were at this time last year too. Not a complaint...just an observation...after all they are a sponsor and a goode one at that.

"My own plans should I require such assistance would be via contact with the local police - they will have the details of local firms that tow away wrecks and these companies will be within the car repair network locally."

Been informed in the past this is the case, ring the police who will simply call out a local agent. Personally keep Toyota's dealership booklet in the pickup, just in case. Had a flat once, couple of their lads simply passing, changed the wheel for me despite my protestations I was perfectly capable of managing it alone. Then wouldn't accept any kind of payment, ended up pressing 100b into the lad's hand, saying "Happy Birthday...beer!"

Here is one of interest, "Auto Rescue Service" Mobile call to: 1139

This is a free service provided by the Bangkok Social Organization.

It is touted as being provided to reduce crimes aghast women although

I am not sure if it is solely for women only.

We promote this as a public service often on Wave FM88 and it is legitimate.

They say:

"Uniformed personnel with proper identification will be immediately dispatched night

or day to assist with a auto breakdown. This is a free service."

Your wife, GF or female friends that drive may wish to put "1139" into there cell phone

memory.

Edited by tpthai2

I think the annual cost is about 1,900 baht. For that, as a far as I remember, you get three free tows up to 40Km. I've been towed three times, once off the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway, and twice from Pattaya to Chonburi (before there was a GM dealer in Pattaya). On the third occasion, which was a Sunday, the motorbike rider said "If you had a Toyota I could have fixed it today". I sold my Opel soon after, and bought a Toyota. Since then I've never had to call them out!

They fix roadside when they can.

Which Opel did you had (year/model). Why did it break down so much? I am considering of getting a 2nd hand Omega.

That CWC looks good if the cost is reasonable. They even offer (with consent) a mobile phone tracking service so that if you are in the boonies and not 100% certain where you are when you break down in the dark & rain, they can pin point you. Excellent idea.

Am i correct in thinking that on toll roads (express way) there are regular patrols and a free breakdown service?

• 4 months later...

Had a situation once en route from Bangkok to Hua hin, two tyre blow out, stranded just getting dark, a little lovely stopped her motor cycle saw the situation, borrowed my phone, made a call and then rode on (yes she did give the phone back) within minututes a local body snatcher / rescue pick up turned up, jacked my vehicle up, changed the one tyre with the spare, threw the other in their pick up then disappeared. twenty minutes back again, new tyre fitted on rim. Fitted that on, packed their kit up, gave me the tyre shop receipt for the tyre price ands that was it. I had to force them to take 1K in thanks !

Had a situation once en route from Bangkok to Hua hin, two tyre blow out, stranded just getting dark, a little lovely stopped her motor cycle saw the situation, borrowed my phone, made a call and then rode on (yes she did give the phone back) within minututes a local body snatcher / rescue pick up turned up, jacked my vehicle up, changed the one tyre with the spare, threw the other in their pick up then disappeared. twenty minutes back again, new tyre fitted on rim. Fitted that on, packed their kit up, gave me the tyre shop receipt for the tyre price ands that was it. I had to force them to take 1K in thanks !

For the benefit of the motor forum members who break down...

You wouldn't happen to have her contact number, would you?

:o