Grandfathered Embassy Letter? Bank Letter For 40,000 Per Month?

11. Spousal Visas: When one of the spouses is Thai, the two spouses together must give proof of 400k baht. An income letter from an embassy/consulate once valid is apparently not now valid except for those "grandfathered." There was only one question, as I recall, regarding the requirements for those not married to a Thai but another foreigner. It had to do with sponsorship of their foreign children. There was an interesting answer provided which is a bit too complex to relay here satisfactorily. I strongly suggest that you contact immigration on such family matters.

Good day.

I initially by mistake posted this new topic in the Chiang Mai forum when reading that mans post about the meeting. I meant for it to be in this category section.

1. Can anyone explain this Grandfathered clause about emabassy financial proof letters? Does this mean and suggest that someone who has used the letters prior for financial proof from the embassy is ok to continue doing so?

2. When are these new additions to the law retrpospective?

3.What information does the Thai bank need to write on the official bank letter for the immigration? This would be for a standard 40,000 baht monthly financial qualification... Does the bank need to write that funds of 40,000+ for every month for 3 months (90 days) have been satisfactory and in good standing? It shouldn't be that 120,000 should be in the account for three months since this is not the rule or requirement.

uncletom

11. Spousal Visas: When one of the spouses is Thai, the two spouses together must give proof of 400k baht. An income letter from an embassy/consulate once valid is apparently not now valid except for those "grandfathered." There was only one question, as I recall, regarding the requirements for those not married to a Thai but another foreigner. It had to do with sponsorship of their foreign children. There was an interesting answer provided which is a bit too complex to relay here satisfactorily. I strongly suggest that you contact immigration on such family matters.

Good day.

I initially by mistake posted this new topic in the Chiang Mai forum when reading that mans post about the meeting. I meant for it to be in this category section.

1. Can anyone explain this Grandfathered clause about emabassy financial proof letters? Does this mean and suggest that someone who has used the letters prior for financial proof from the embassy is ok to continue doing so?

2. When are these new additions to the law retrpospective?

3.What information does the Thai bank need to write on the official bank letter for the immigration? This would be for a standard 40,000 baht monthly financial qualification... Does the bank need to write that funds of 40,000+ for every month for 3 months (90 days) have been satisfactory and in good standing? It shouldn't be that 120,000 should be in the account for three months since this is not the rule or requirement.

uncletom

For some one who was in the system before October 2006. They are Grandfathered.

They were getting the extension with 400,000 in the bank. They can continue to do so.

The bank has to supply a letter certifying that the money is in the bank.

Anyone applying after that date must have a family monthly income of 40,000 Baht.

For income earned outside Thailand you need a letter from your Embassy.

For income earned inside Thailand you need receipts of Income Tax payments.

This is the rule.

(6) In the case of an alien married

to a Thai woman, any party or

both must have a total income

of not less than Baht 40,000 per

month, except for aliens who

entered the Kingdom before

this Order came into force and

granted a permit to stay in the

Kingdom. If the alien does not

have the minimum income

above, he shall have an account

deposit in Thailand in the nameof either party or both of not

less than Baht 400,000. Proof

of account deposit for the

previous 3 months is required.

Edited by Lite Beer

Do I need a new letter from my Embassy EACH YEAR or is it a one time deal?

Thanks.

They used to accept the same one. Now it has been reported on here many times that they keep the letter and you have to get a new one every year.

I hope you are not British as apparently they charge a fortune.

Sorry.

I read this going any two ways. 1. any newcomers going for extensions after the new rules addition set forth in motion are not able to use embassy letters to validate income, but anyone before the time, at what time this may well be is Grandfathered, is when?

So the 99 baht question....Since this is new would it mean retrospective when the new order was released or were they just repeating a two year old order. Doesn't quite make sense to me that it would be grandfathered for only the ones going back to Oct 06, or does it.

I read that they do have a new law regarding unmarried people under 50 to take care of their children, but this is a new re-concideration just stated. Although a very substantial and good one for many people with kids, these people going for this would be new bees unless they themeselves have been grandfathered from Oct 06. Wouldn't you think?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading through the threads and have not got the answer I'm looking for although I'm sure it's here. Anyways, I'd like a simple answer to a simple question from one of you visa gurus.

If i had entered the kingdom before 2006 on a spouse visa (400k) and then changed it to the 40/mth after I was employed, can i now go back to the 400k option as I'm no longer employed. I've had this visa continuously for 4 years now. I know I could continue the 400k option if i didn't change it. But i have, and would like to know if I can go back to it?

Also, I'd appreciate to hear from people who have actually done it.

Thanks a million.

I've been reading through the threads and have not got the answer I'm looking for although I'm sure it's here. Anyways, I'd like a simple answer to a simple question from one of you visa gurus.

If i had entered the kingdom before 2006 on a spouse visa (400k) and then changed it to the 40/mth after I was employed, can i now go back to the 400k option as I'm no longer employed. I've had this visa continuously for 4 years now. I know I could continue the 400k option if i didn't change it. But i have, and would like to know if I can go back to it?

Also, I'd appreciate to hear from people who have actually done it.

Thanks a million.

Yes you can. Lite Beer posted it earlier but here it again. I did some back spaces to make it easy to read.

(6) In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or both must have a total income of not less than Baht 40,000 per month, except for aliens who entered the Kingdom before this Order came into force and granted a permit to stay in the Kingdom. If the alien does not have the minimum income above, he shall have an account deposit in Thailand in the name of either party or both of not less than Baht 400,000. Proof of account deposit for the previous 3 months is required.

Edited by ubonjoe

Yes you can. Lite Beer posted it earlier but here it again. I did some back spaces to make it easy to read.

(6) In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or both must have a total income of not less than Baht 40,000 per month, except for aliens who entered the Kingdom before this Order came into force and granted a permit to stay in the Kingdom. If the alien does not have the minimum income above, he shall have an account deposit in Thailand in the name of either party or both of not less than Baht 400,000. Proof of account deposit for the previous 3 months is required.

Try Sunbelt's translation of the same clause 7.17(6)

(6) In case of the applicant who ismarried to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month. Except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife, then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

Very different reading re the 400k; I understand that Sunbelt's translation is more accurate.

Very different reading re the 400k; I understand that Sunbelt's translation is more accurate.

Correct, sunbelts is the best regarding this. But in this case BKKexplorer is grandfathered and can make use of the 400,000 baht rule. (He want to convert from 40,000 a month to 400,000 on the bank).

Correct, sunbelts is the best regarding this. But in this case BKKexplorer is grandfathered and can make use of the 400,000 baht rule. (He want to convert from 40,000 a month to 400,000 on the bank).
That's precisely what the Sunbelt translation says but the Immigration translation does not make clear. Edited by digitalchromakey