Why Thailand

teddy_bare

I really enjoyed my life in Southren California, the weather, beaches, food, the whole life style is great, but, I love the weather here too, the beaches and the food, just in So Cal I have to work for a living to stay there. Now, I do not mind work and even liked my job but I like not doing it also and here in Thailand I can suport my Thai wife myself and be at peace everyday and have a few Baht left over and the end of the month.

I do miss College football but it only last a few months anyway....... Go Sooners!

I've been in Thailand now for 5 and a half years, give or take some time out to earn cash. Originally came to do some dive training during a transition between being employed in the UK to starting my own company in the UK. I fell in love with the way of life and diving everyday, and decided I didn't need all the hassle of a Western style life (with the exception of earning loads of money and eating bread). After the Tsunami getting work was hard, and i found myself in Iraq, but I have always come back to Thailand. I have never felt the erge to move on. The thought of having to go back to the UK sends shivers down my back.

I am a regular reader of TV and get dismayed at the amount of people who only see the negative in Thailand. I see the differences and, yes, many seem a less that efficient ways of doing things, many also seem better. I often thank my UK education and life opportunities for allowing me to live away from my country of birth. I have a few foreign friends who berate everything thai, yet continue to live here. Fortunately, I find I move further from these friends with every episode and outburst.

Anyhoo, the question.

What reason brought you to Thailand and why do you stay?

Originally it was the adventure, the need to experience the exotic.

Came here fifteen years ago to do some liveaboard scuba diving trips and eventually moved here for good. Was never really into the bar girls or bar scene as I was more focused on fitness and staying healthy.

Lived down in Phuket for six years back in the nineties and had the Idyllic lifestyle; working as a scuba instructor, diving in warm, tropical waters and going out to the beautiful offshore islands almost every day. Did more than one hundred trips to Phi Phi and about twenty trips to the Similans.

Woke up one day and realised that the idyllic lifestyle doesn't pay for property or help set up the retirement plan.

I feel quite fortunate now as I work in a global industry that pays me very well, even by western standards, and I'm still living in Thailand. I'm probably doing alot better for myself by staying here, as opposed to living back in farang land, simply because I'm avoiding the taxation that I'd have to pay if I was back there.

Don't think I'll ever go back as there's really nothing to go back to. If you've been living in the LOS for fifteen to twenty years, how do adjust back to living in farang land? Is it possible?

Even though there's things here that infuriate and frusrate, on a daily basis, I still love it here. I love the unpredictability of it all; it's a bit like living life on the edge, never a dull moment.

If you can divorce yourself from the bar scene, there's some great places to see and things to do in the LOS. A couple of months ago I went down to Trang for a few days and had a great time - some really nice waterfalls to visit and cave systems to have a look at.

Thailand, for me, still the place that I call home.

Cheers.

I came to marry one of them University level educated Hi-So types that crave older balding beer bellied farang. I'm not married yet but everyone else here found one. Jokes aside a fly to OZ tonight for 8 days. That's 6 days too long (minus flight time) already missing LOS

You mean like these?

post-35874-1221652965_thumb.jpg

iforgot. im into edukation too :o:D:D

anyone notice very few carry books :D:D:(

Edited by stephaniee

QUOTE (NanLaew @ 2008-09-17 19:04:58)

QUOTE (zorro1 @ 2008-09-16 13:51:23)

I came to marry one of them University level educated Hi-So types that crave older balding beer bellied farang. I'm not married yet but everyone else here found one. Jokes aside a fly to OZ tonight for 8 days. That's 6 days too long (minus flight time) already missing LOS

You mean like these?

iforgot. im into edukation too

anyone notice very few carry books

{qiote}

Yes just like them but the closest I came to a girl in school unifrom was Lolitas.

I had just done 6 months in Saudi and my first break coincided with 'dear John' letter from my girlfriend and winter in Scotland so I went to Bangkok on the recommendation of some of my peers.

It took me over 10 years to break the Thailand habit but that's what being a hostage in Iraq will do to you.

Fourteen years on I am back again and this time nobody is holding a gun to my head, not even my Lao ex- wife. That b**ch (but I'm not bitter).

Won't deny pussy to begin with 6yr ago, but a 1yr holiday and 1.5million baht expenditure told me cheaper to marry one of em! 4yrs teaching, biking business set up 2yr back now just able to support me, better than working for a living!

Came here with my father when he was hired as a consultant in the mid-seventies. He worked here for five years and I went to school in Bangkok. He wound up marrying a wonderful hi-so lady with a great family. Wound up living in Thailand on and off for the next twenty years so I took a degree in Thai (UK university). Came back for good seven years ago.

With a very good Thai family and having lived here as a kid it seems as much like home as the UK.

Edited by nakhonsi sean

Many ex-pats are here because they saw Thailand as their Utopia, sold up lock, stock and barrel in their home countries, so here they are.

For some the novelty wore off after a few years, but than it was too late, past the point of return to their own countries because they could no longer afford to get re-established back home as all their assets were now in Thailand.

So for those considering making the big move, better be 100% sure first.

I am one of those who brought everything with me, but these days couldn’t imagine or want to live anywhere else.

About those students: my daughter told me that some of the girls are unable to finance their tuition fees, so make money by selling themselves. My daughter said, one can tell because these girls wear their badges upside down. Pssst, don’t tell anyone that I told you

post-11344-1222001583_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

Many ex-pats are here because they saw Thailand as their Utopia, sold up lock, stock and barrel in their home countries, so here they are.

For some the novelty wore off after a few years, but than it was too late, past the point of return to their own countries because they could no longer afford to get re-established back home as all their assets were now in Thailand.

So for those considering making the big move, better be 100% sure first.

I am one of those who brought everything with me, but these days couldn't imagine or want to live anywhere else.

About those students: my daughter told me that some of the girls are unable to finance their tuition fees, so make money by selling themselves. My daughter said, one can tell because these girls wear their badges upside down. Pssst, don't tell anyone that I told you

You sound like Garry Glitter with a daughter on the side.

She told you what is upside down???

YAK!!

Won't deny pussy to begin with 6yr ago, but a 1yr holiday and 1.5million baht expenditure told me cheaper to marry one of em!

you married a pussy? no boobs, no butt, no nothing else? :D

LOL! Tempted as I am, won't reply to that one, instant ban :D:o

I met my wife in MN 1997 and came to visit in 1998. Loved it so much I spent a couple of years and a lot of trips in LOS>

after we we were married in 2k we decided to come back to the states, until I could get the experience needed to make the kind of life we want. We are close to coming back to LOS and cant wait.....

I met my wife in MN 1997 and came to visit in 1998. Loved it so much I spent a couple of years and a lot of trips in LOS>

after we we were married in 2k we decided to come back to the states, until I could get the experience needed to make the kind of life we want. We are close to coming back to LOS and cant wait.....

Yes well this really doesn’t fit in to the topic dose it. reason why you came? “wife” reasons why you stayed? You didn’t did you!!! Your half way there thou :o