Russian Tourist Visa Extension

Hi Guys,

Will try and give you as concise information as possible.

My Russian friend has been over for a month and a half. He came in on a normal 30 day tourist visa, we then travelled to Malaysia 2 days before expiration for another 30 days, we will be going to Myanmar for a further 30 days, and that will be his 2 visas runs up.

I understand you can get an extension on top of this, effectively giving you a further 30 days in addition to the 2 'visa runs'.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case and if so, what is the correct procedure for doing it would be from Surat.

Trying to get all the info I need as early as possible so as to avoid any problems!

FYI Russians experience identical visa regulations to most of Europe (i.e. UK, Germany, Scandanavia, etc etc)

Many thanks for your answers.

ManInSurat

Hi Guys,

Will try and give you as concise information as possible.

My Russian friend has been over for a month and a half. He came in on a normal 30 day tourist visa, we then travelled to Malaysia 2 days before expiration for another 30 days, we will be going to Myanmar for a further 30 days, and that will be his 2 visas runs up.

I understand you can get an extension on top of this, effectively giving you a further 30 days in addition to the 2 'visa runs'.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case and if so, what is the correct procedure for doing it would be from Surat.

Trying to get all the info I need as early as possible so as to avoid any problems!

FYI Russians experience identical visa regulations to most of Europe (i.e. UK, Germany, Scandanavia, etc etc)

Many thanks for your answers.

ManInSurat

Really not sure on Russians.

But the rule is a total of 90 days in a 6 month period. Visa exempt entries.

With my maths He will get another 30 days when he comes back from Burma.

After that he will have 2 days left.

Edited by Lite Beer

Russians only have visa on arrival. He is here on tourist visa's, which are for Russions 30 days instead of 60 days for people who can apply for visa exempt entry.

The idea of going to Myanmar for a visa is unusual. Most people will go to obtain a visa elswhere. But he can get an extension at any immigration office for 1,900 baht. Apply a week before the end of the visa, so he will have time to go to another country if the extension is denied.

Russians only have visa on arrival. He is here on tourist visa's, which are for Russions 30 days instead of 60 days for people who can apply for visa exempt entry.

The idea of going to Myanmar for a visa is unusual. Most people will go to obtain a visa elswhere. But he can get an extension at any immigration office for 1,900 baht. Apply a week before the end of the visa, so he will have time to go to another country if the extension is denied.

Yes. Just looked at MFA website.

Russians are not the same as UK ,Europe,etc.

Thanks for all the replies. Great community here, as always.

visarunner - Most interested in your reply... so effectively, Russians can stay indefinitely, providing they do a 'visa run' every 30+/- days. Which is how it was for the majority of Europeans before Taksin changed the regulations?

Can anyone else verify this? Very interesting...

Thanks in advance.

Russians can enter Thailand unlimited times without a Visa, each entry will not exceed 30days.

Russians do not qualify for visa exempt entries, as the link provided by LB shows. Where do you get your information from?

It also says that Russians can get a VOA for 15 days. AND ALSO. Russians can enter for 30 days under a Bilateral Agreement.

Whatever that is.

It also says that Russians can get a VOA for 15 days. AND ALSO. Russians can enter for 30 days under a Bilateral Agreement.

Whatever that is.

A Bilateral Agreement is one where both sides offer the same; so in this case Thais can enter Russia unlimited times without a visa, each entry not to exceed 30 days as well.

In a word - reciprocity.

Whatever that is.

A Bilateral Agreement is one where both sides offer the same; so in this case Thais can enter Russia unlimited times without a visa, each entry not to exceed 30 days as well.

In a word - reciprocity.

Thanks for that. So it appears that they can come as many times as they want for 30 days at a time.

Edited by Lite Beer

Perhaps to add some more light to an already confusing issue:

My Russian friend entered LOS at BKK, I was under the impression that the VOA he got was for 15 days. I was then told otherwise, i.e. that it was 30 days under a bilateral.

We travelled to the south as this is where I live, and when the time came we went to the Immigration office in Sadao (Malay border) there were no issues pertaining to him having stayed longer than 15 days. He entered Malaysia came straight back and was stamped in for a further 30 days - evident by the date stamp showing how long he can stay for in his passport.

So the LB link given further up here does have conflicting information in it and I would say is potentially inaccurate.

I'm going to try and see if I can get my friend to get any official word from the Russian Embassy in BKK and report any concrete information I find in here.

Thanks for all the replies, so far.

I would suggest that the Important Question for Russians is

Does the 90 days in 6 months limit apply to Bilateral Visa Exempt entries.

Bill

NO, the countries under the Bilateral Visa Exempt rule are not covered by the 90day rules.

Just note that certain countries are limited to 30day stay each time , other to 90days.