Norton Ghost Or Other Backup Software

vagabond48

I foolishly (paid $65 instead of 100baht here) bought Norton Ghost 12 in the US and was disappointed when I saw that it created a huge program of approx 300M that didn't do what I wanted.

Can anyone tell me if there is an earlier versus of Ghost or similar software that does what is described below.

Until I got my laptop with XP-Pro last October 2007, for about 5 years. I used an earlier version of Norton Ghost on OS W2000 (did not work on XP) to do a simple and easy C drive ghost backup. All I did was boot up with a bootable disk that included a small (700k) DOS version of Ghost version ?. It worked within DOS so I was able to do a complete ghost of my C drive which only includes my OS and programs. I keep my user data on my D drive.

Somehow I feel a ghost made outside of Windows OS is more complete and safer from virus infections than one made within Windows OS, using XP's Backup or the latest Ghost versions as it might also include infections that were introduced after the last system backup so using restore points may not remove them.

Outside of the latest Norton Ghost program taking gobs of disk space, is my apprehension about doing a ghost inside Windows OS unfounded?

I used to be an IT Manager so I am looking for real experience comments.

Another vote for Acronis from me....Last year my NB crashed and I lost quite a bit of data, since then I have made and kept a regularly updated ghost of C. Have had to restore twice since then, and has worked fabulously.

Oh, and I keep my ghost on an external hard drive....I want it completely separate from my com.

Edited by tominbkk

Try Acronis True Image - Mabye a trip to Pantip is required to purchase

Agreed regarding Acronis. I use the home edition (gave up on Ghost) and does everything I need including scheduled incremental backups.

If it does incremental backups, it sounds like it is a windows based software but does it do a ghost image of the primary drive before windows is started?

Try Acronis True Image - Mabye a trip to Pantip is required to purchase

Agreed regarding Acronis. I use the home edition (gave up on Ghost) and does everything I need including scheduled incremental backups.

If it does incremental backups, it sounds like it is a windows based software but does it do a ghost image of the primary drive before windows is started?

I think Acronis is unique in that it allows you to make a clone of the system drive from within the windows environment. So you run it with windows started up. I've been using it for years and it gets my vote. It can do either complete backups or incrementals.

For that instance, you create a Acronis boot CD/DVD (part of the Acronis package) and boot from it. Then you can backup or restore from that system. Your system is then off-line.

For that instance, you create a Acronis boot CD/DVD (part of the Acronis package) and boot from it. Then you can backup or restore from that system. Your system is then off-line.

That sounds like what I am looking for.

Thanks much. :o

That sounds like what I am looking for.

Forgot to mention. My Acronis boot device is an old 64MB USB Flash drive that was just sitting in a drawer waiting to be used for something. :o

I've started using Macrium Reflect Free Edition. Uses VSS so you can make images from within Vista. Compresses images and makes them very quickly. Makes a boot CD for recovery. Everything I need, and it's FREE.

FYI, I'm currently using about 70GB on my system drive, and made an image of 11GB in about 5 - 10 minutes to a USB attached HDD.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

I foolishly (paid $65 instead of 100baht here) ... I used to be an IT Manager so I am looking for real experience comments.

Spend the money first and then do the research on the product. Nice to see you're keeping your managerial skills sharp. :o

Search your Ghost 12 install disc and /or the Ghost install directory on your PC for a ghost32.exe file. If you have that executable file, then make a bootable CD or download one from http://ubcd4win.com. Copy ghost32.exe to this CD and use it to boot your PC and manually perform the Ghost operation.

-- A former "managed" IT worker

Edited by Rice_King

I foolishly (paid $65 instead of 100baht here) ... I used to be an IT Manager so I am looking for real experience comments.

Spend the money first and then do the research on the product. Nice to see you're keeping your managerial skills sharp. :o

Search your Ghost 12 install disc and /or the Ghost install directory on your PC for a ghost32.exe file. If you have that executable file, then make a bootable CD or download one from http://ubcd4win.com. Copy ghost32.exe to this CD and use it to boot your PC and manually perform the Ghost operation.

-- A former "managed" IT worker

I ordered it online 2 weeks b4 I left for Thailand. I am a tightwad and this was the 1st software "I" paid for except for Turbo Tax. Being an IT manager had its perks.

The purchase also hurt me because I found out they ran periodical rebates to get it for free which I could take advantage of.

If my version has this exe then that would solve my problem, I hope.

Exactly what I do every week.

(I like your idea of booting from a flash drive! I don't think my old laptop will do that though.)

Just discovered that my Acer laptop will boot from USB - so how do I make the flash drive bootable and run Acronis? (My Nero won't burn the Acronis .iso file to a flash drive - CD or DVD only).

One of the options under the Acronis start menu is the "Bootable Rescue Media Builder". Just select the USB flash drive rather then a CD/DVD and you're off and running. Took about a minute for Acronis to build mine. No ISOs to deal with, no special apps required. They make it remarkably easy to create a recovery boot device.

They give you two modes: Safe Mode (no USB/PCI/SCSI drivers installed) which takes about 16MB of space, and Full Mode which includes all the aforementioned drivers and takes up about 30MB. The last mode is if you are restoring/backup up a USB/PCI/SCSI device.

I think Acronis is unique in that it allows you to make a clone of the system drive from within the windows environment. So you run it with windows started up. I've been using it for years and it gets my vote. It can do either complete backups or incrementals.

It isn't unique, as FARSTONES Drive Clone does all of the above also. But Acronis seems to get the most votes so take your pick. Personally I just close FARSTONE as they were both on torrent, cost nothing and FARSTONE was much faster to download!

I would also agree to give Norton a wide berth.. bloat ware

One of the options under the Acronis start menu is the "Bootable Rescue Media Builder". Just select the USB flash drive rather then a CD/DVD and you're off and running. Took about a minute for Acronis to build mine. No ISOs to deal with, no special apps required. They make it remarkably easy to create a recovery boot device.

They give you two modes: Safe Mode (no USB/PCI/SCSI drivers installed) which takes about 16MB of space, and Full Mode which includes all the aforementioned drivers and takes up about 30MB. The last mode is if you are restoring/backup up a USB/PCI/SCSI device.

Brilliant! Thanks Tywais - I've just made my old mp3 player into a bootable Acronis flash drive! :o

I now remember where the ".iso" file came from. When I first installed Acronis I used the "Bootable Rescue Media Builder" to create the .iso file and have used that file ever since to burn bootable CDs. I haven't had Acronis installed for quite a while. So I have just re-installed it, went into the "Bootable Rescue Media Builder" program again, and this time specified the flash drive. Now my old flash drive boots and runs Acronis. Excellent!

Thanks again.

It isn't unique, as FARSTONES Drive Clone does all of the above also. But Acronis seems to get the most votes so take your pick. Personally I just close FARSTONE as they were both on torrent, cost nothing and FARSTONE was much faster to download!

I would also agree to give Norton a wide berth.. bloat ware

I have used both extensively, for a considerable length of time, and both are full legal installations. Acronis is the better product in my experience as it has passed each test with full marks.

1. Safe backups which can be mounted as a Virtual Drive in either read-only or edit mode while retaining the original file.

2. Choice of edited backup to restore (or the full original)

3. Have successfully Backedup and Recovered 100s (not a typo) of hard disks in all flavours of MS including Vista SP1 using XP and Vista installs

4. Tested hard drives ranging from 20gb to 1Tb connected via PATA, SATA, eSATA, USB, & 1394

5. Have even backedup & restored Apple hard drives by utilising a little trickery

6. Faulty Hard Drives (eg. sector errors) can sometimes work as the damaged areas can be ignored. WARNING The errors may be recovered to the new replacement drive.

This program is so reliable that any computer we receive for repair is routinely backedup before work is commenced, with full disclosure, to ensure data integrity for our clients. On average we would complete 50+ backups and 30+ recovers every week

We have never had a problem with Acronis and have even used it to recover a minimal WinXP install to the ASUS EEEPC via a thumbdrive.

We have never had a problem with Acronis and have even used it to recover a minimal WinXP install to the ASUS EEEPC via a thumbdrive.

switched from Ghost to Acronis about a year ago. had problems with Acronis last week when cloning. after several futile attempts i used Ghost without any problems and then back to Acronis.

switched from Ghost to Acronis about a year ago. had problems with Acronis last week when cloning. after several futile attempts i used Ghost without any problems and then back to Acronis.

Get in touch with Acronis tech support, report your problem and within 24 hours you will receive an answer and a solution. I had a simmilar problem a few weeks ago and received a driver update which solved my problem immediatly.

The customer support at Acronis really cares and supports! I also learnt that such issue might be caused by the condition of a partition. Ghost and Acronis use diffrent ways to analyse a partition.

Edited by webfact

Get in touch with Acronis tech support, report your problem and within 24 hours you will receive an answer and a solution. I had a simmilar problem a few weeks ago and received a driver update which solved my problem immediatly.

The customer support at Acronis really cares and supports! I also learnt that such issue might be caused by the condition of a partition. Ghost and Acronis use diffrent ways to analyse a partition.

i don't think i can expect a solution from Acronis when the error message is "cannot read sector from source disk?" Ghost also "hesitated" during cloning but then fixed several problems and completed the task. after that Acronis cloned too without any problems. i prefer Acronis because cloning is faster (i clone daily), but i will use Ghost in case i face something similar in future.

p.s. i have a bunch of other cloning software but never tried them except some years ago i used Maxblast which is agonising slow.

Acronis True Image official support forum is at Wilders Security:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

It seems True Image Home v10 is stable, but current release v11 is buggy/rejected by experienced users .

A Wilders member(Pandlouk) tested various backup softwares & recommends :

-Reliability: Winners are Drive Snapshot, Image for Windows, Paragon Drive Backup & Shadowprotect.

-Speed: Drive Snapshot, Shadowprotect and Symantec Backup Exec.

-Compression: Paragon Drive Backup (in it's highest settings it provides smaller images).

-Speed & compression:Drive Snapshot & Shadowprotect. (in default settings these 2 provide most balanced compression +speed).

-Differential backups: Drive Snapshot, Paragon Drive Backup , Shadowprotect and image for Windows.

-Incremental backups: Shadowprotect (really impressive-It is like speedy gonzales in taking incrementals and it never failed to restore anyone of them. Acronis & symantec failed to restore the incrementals that I took during heavy disk activity)

-Restore without the need of external source(cd/dvd or usb drive): Acronis, ParagonDrive Backup & Symantec.

-No services or startup entries running all the time: Drive Snapshot , ParagonDriveBackup.

-no drivers installed: Drive Snapshot

-most features included in a product: AcronisTrueImage

-files backup: AcronisTI, ParagonDriveBackup & Symantec.

-Hardware independent restore(HIR): Untested, but both Acronis & Shadowprotect should work well here. HIR means backing up & restoring to a quite different system(hard disk/storage controller/CPU etc) but not a diferent OS/files system.

I recommend: Paragon Drive Backup / Shadow Protect /Drive Snapshot

Hope above is useful, if you need links PM me / Google is your friend.

Indi

Edited by Indi

This program is so reliable ....We have never had a problem with Acronis

You've got me sold... I trust you aren't receiving a commission, but I will make an effort to try this Acronis out myself...when I get the time.

The only problem I had with Acronis was when I decided to "test" a bootable CD that I had just burnt. I clicked on "Restore" and then on a backed-up image file. I decided that that was a good enough test to show that the CD was OK so cancelled restore. I didn't even get to the screen that specifies which destination drive to restore to.

When I tried to reboot my PC, it wouldn't. So the Acronis had done something to the C drive before I'd even told it what to do with the backed-up image.

I managed to get the drive booted again using a CD labelled "The Ultimate Boot CD" that I'd had for a while. After a few times (days) of booting using the CD, the C drive started to boot OK on its own. Very strange. Very scary. :o

Check out DiscWizard at Seagate. It works with any brand of hard drive and uses the Acronis engine. It's free and easy to use.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

--

Rijb

I recall this was a special (older) version of Acronis True Image customised for Seagate,

which mainly works with Seagate Discs. If non-seagate disks (Hitachi, WD, Fujitsu etc) YMMV

(your mileage may vary). Suggest caution if non -seagate discs.

Indi