Train Ride- Bangkok To Penang.

Train journey. Bangkok to Penang...

I know this has been covered before but the posts are old, some going back to 2003,

Therefore has anybody made the trip lately ?

I am thinking of going down next month to make a new visa, does anyone have an experience of the train journey ? good or bad :o

it's slow - I would rather fly, unless you have time and want to see the countryside.

the only time I was travelling penang-bangkok the train derailed before hat yai, apparently no injured. Definitely you need a sleeping compartment, beer and good companionship

it's slow - I would rather fly, unless you have time and want to see the countryside.

the only time I was travelling penang-bangkok the train derailed before hat yai, apparently no injured. Definitely you need a sleeping compartment, beer and good companionship

Yes I am hoping to see lots of countryside, I have never done a long trip on a train before so it's going to be an experience from what Ive heard, not too keen on the derailing part of it,

As for beer and a good companion shouldn't be a problem.

Is the sleeping compartment private ? :o

I know this has been covered before but the posts are old, some going back to 2003,

I am thinking of going down next month to make a new visa, does anyone have an experience of the train journey ? good or bad :o

I would go in the general Northeast direction.

Less chance for interruption of service, and also less bomb-scares, or even real bombs.

I would go in the general Northeast direction.

Less chance for interruption of service, and also less bomb-scares, or even real bombs.

The journey by train is very slow and the price of a private compartment is not soo much cheaper as a flight,but if you have time and good company,it may be fun.

I go every year to the deep south,no bad experiences(so far),and the people are more friendly,and less cheating(to a farang)as in the North-East. :D

Yes I am hoping to see lots of countryside, I have never done a long trip on a train before so it's going to be an experience from what Ive heard, not too keen on the derailing part of it,

If you can't get a private compartment be sure to get the lower bunk in the 2nd class/air con section. Much more comfortable then the upper. When you get to Butterworth dont bother with the taxis at the train station. Follow the crowd and take the ferry. Penang is fun for a few days if you're not looking for nite life.

^ Correct. First class (i.e. private compartments) are offered only as far south as Hat Yai. The second-class sleeper carriages are the only option through to Butterworth.

This is correct but keep in mind that you arrive in Hat Yai around 9 am so except for the inconvience of having to move your bags to the second class carriage you wont be needing a sleeper as you will be in Butterworth in about 4 more hours.

^ Correct. First class (i.e. private compartments) are offered only as far south as Hat Yai. The second-class sleeper carriages are the only option through to Butterworth.

This is correct but keep in mind that you arrive in Hat Yai around 9 am so except for the inconvience of having to move your bags to the second class carriage you wont be needing a sleeper as you will be in Butterworth in about 4 more hours.

Presumably one would need to then purchase a first-class ticket for the Bangkok-Hat Yai segment and then a second-class ticket for the Hat Yai to Butterworth segment. The latter ticket will be pricey relative to what one is receiving as the passenger will be assessed all of the relevant surcharges for a second-class sleeper whether it is used or not.

Hi There,

I remember the first time I did the train to penang (in 1995) - sat across from some Malaysian bird -

got talking. I had the bottom bunk ticket.

At lights out time she asked could she have the bottom bunk - did the gentlemanly thing and said ok -

the top bunk had a bright light beside it that I could'nt turn off!!!

And no I didnt get any action either. :o

John

Dublin.

Another derailing tale:

Several years ago I was travelling from BKK to Singapore on this line - actually on the posh E&OE train as part of a package deal - and the train derailed just short of Butterworth. Minor injuries - bruises and stuff. The carriages all stayed upright, fortunately.

The line is narrow gauge, as you're probably aware, which doesn't make for the most comfortable ride, especially if the track is not in top condition, which appears to be the case. Don't expect a restful night if you're in an upper sleeper bunk - you get bounced around a fair bit.

Having said all this, I did enjoy the journey - until the derailment - and some of the scenes of track-side life were memorable. If you have the time and the inclination it's probably worth doing it - certainly a very different experience to flying.

DM

Thanks for sharing the experience, Ive decided to go for it, the standard derailment at Butterworth is a worry but I'm not a fan of aircraft either these days, and going down on the buss I think is even worse :o

Thanks for sharing the experience, Ive decided to go for it, the standard derailment at Butterworth is a worry but I'm not a fan of aircraft either these days, and going down on the buss I think is even worse :o
Go for it I did it 3 times now and I never ever had any problems I must admid it is slow the cabins are ok I guess (try to book the bottom one is more roomy) And the price is cheap ( return about

2400 from BKK ) Bring your own drinks ( beer ) since abottle of beer set you back 120 baht. And don't forget most of the time you travel at night.

Cheers enjoy it

Do exactly what fred2007 told you, it is fun and nice trip.

Though the first class gives you more privacy, however it is much more boring and the only one window you have will make it more difficult to see the outside.

Second class is more comfortable, and you might meet a lot of foreigners traveling with you, just go around and find some, believe me I made many friends from a train trips.

Under your seat there is a folded table,take it out and place it in front of you, and you will feel like you are in a restaurant, you can use it to work with your book note or for writing or reading a news paper.

Bring your food and drink, as it is much more expensive on the train, however you can order your food and drinks from the waiters and made them come to your sit or you can walk to the restaurant and eat there.

Try to book a sit between numbers 13 to 26 for not be near the doors, as it is less noisy and nearer to the electricity outlet in case you are using a computer or you wand to charge your mobile phone.

The train will stop about 20 minute in Hatyay to split the Hatyay cars and only 2-3 cars will continue to Butterworth.

One our from Hatyay is the border at Bender Besar where the train will stop for about 2 hours for immigration and custom check. Bring your luggage down with you on the way going as the Malaysian want to check your luggage, however you do not have to do so when coming back as the Thai will not check your luggage. The procedure will take less than 15 miutes, however the train have to stop longer for the arrival of the Malaysian train from the other side as there is only one track to continue. You can waste sometimes in the cafeteria on the top roof of the immigration.

The remaining of the jorney is 3 hours and you will be in butterworth.

Get off the train and walk through to behind the station's lobby straight to the ferry, which will take you to Penang.

If you need to change some money first for the ferry fee, then do it at the border and not in the Butterwoth station, the rate there is better.

Hve a nice trip and good luck.

Bishop

Thank's for the info bjhabal, Im quite looking forward to it now, it will be nice to go somewhere instead of being in Pattaya all the time,

I will keep notes of the trip and post here how I got on, it's always nice to read how another person got on doing the same trip as you... :o

I am thinking of going down next month to make a new visa, does anyone have an experience of the train journey ? good or bad :D

:o Did that several times but many years ago. I was much younger then and did it 2nd class sleeper.

Be sure to get lower bunk....top bunk is where A/C blows in the very cold air. If you get top bunk you'll need a blanket or you'll be freezing cold.

When I did it the food was lousy and service very slow. Unless that has changed, you'll be better to buy and pack your own food.

As I remember beer/Mekong whiskey was available on the train.

The company varies, you never know who you'll meet. Could be good or bad. Once I met a backup singer (male) who had sung with James Brown. I Met a group of backpackers that included an Aussie girl who had been in Papua and had been offered 2 water buffalo and a dozen chickens to marry a local tribal chief. She was holding out for a better deal. Once I spent much of the trip talking to a Buddhist monk who was very high up in a Buddhist temple in Malaysia. He was well educated and spoke excellent English.

Or you can get the scruffy old drunk doing his xxth visa run, you can never tell.

Take a book for reading...you'll quickly get tired of the scenery.

And, unless they've improved the train a lot (quite possible), you'll love those toilets. You can see the track passing underneath as you take a dump. (Well, those old cars MUST be out of service by now.)

You can get some fair to good food during your layover stop at the border. It will probably be better than the food on the train. You can get rice & curry for a takeout on the train.

And yes, follow the crowd and signs and take the ferry across from Georgetown.

It's not fast, but it is an experience. Not something you should miss, one way or the other.

Good luck.

:D

Buy your ticket in advance or you might not get the class you want.

Can be bought at train station in Pattaya. Go to the left at rail crossing on Siam coutry club road and you will find it.

Edited by ubonjoe

.... unless you have time and want to see the countryside.

You will not see much of the countryside.

Half the journey is in the dark and the other half the blinds will be down to keep out the sun. :o

Completely agree. Years ago we thought we would see it all going down to Trang. Left 90 minutes late as more passengers came along. It was near dark and the highlight of our trip was leaving the 1st class compartment and muddling through about 10 other cars to get to the buffet car for some cold beer and food. We flew back !

I made the trip in late 06 early 07, with no problems. Its easy to get tickets and the price is low (A$30) I think, I went second class sleeper with breakfast served at 0700hrs. Spent the day on Penang :D

Actually It takes about 22 hours from Bangkok to Butterworth, however it is not the option of taking a train or taking a flight,as if you are in hurry or on a business trip, then of course, flying is faster and could be cheaper too considering the time consuming.

But it is not the money issue what determines the kind of transportation we choose (though for some it is), what is more suitable for us (not necessarly more comfortable) is the main factor.

As a retired airline executive, it is much cheaper for me to take a flight, where I can board any of half od "IATA" airlines for free and/or pay as little as 10% of the normal fair to board the other; but spending half of my life on the air for business trips, made me sick and tired of getting to the airports, wait for flights and spend hours in a little box called an airplain, where my movement is very limited, probably only to the WC.

some says it is only 2 hours flight, but to tell you the truth, it is not. You have to start few hours before departure to arrive to the airport, do the immigration check, security check, wait for your flight, fly, then when you arrive to your destination, do the immigration check, custom check and drive to the city? add all that and it will end up to be many hours of stress and not really only 2.

Some people suggested that most of the train trip will be on the dark? well, that is not completely correct. The train depart at 2.45 pm, which gives you about four hours of sightseeing, then when it gets dark, you can have your dinner, do some chatting with other people, read, write or just simply walk arround untill the bed time. You will be arriving Hatyay arround 7 or 8 am, and it is already a daylight, then you have one hour in the Thai side to see the counteryside, and the rest of the trip to see the Malaysian countryside, and I think 8-10 hours of seeing the countryside is more than enough unless I am wrong.

This is not a significant addition to the reply, but I hope that it will clear a bit some of the issues.

Wish you all a nice day.

Bishop

bjhabal

I know where where you coming from on the flying thing. I had a job that required traveling around the world for a lot of years.

For a Penang trip if you have the time and want to sight see you could choose a destination between Bangkok and Hat Yai spend the night there get a train to Hat Yai spend the night and then take the train to Butterworth.

By taking shorter rides you could even save some money to help cover the added cost of a hotel by taking lower class trains.

Lots of options for the trip. Check the schedule at: http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know the seat numbers on the Bkk to Penang train where there is a power sockets between ? There are usually power sockets just on one side of the carriage. Last time I travelled I just didn't make a note of the seat numbers and am regretting it now. Also, has anyone had success if actually asking for specific seats when making a booking at a trains station ?

You can see a picture of the interior of the carriage here, and one picture shows the power sockets...

http://blog.siampedia.org/?p=1969

Thanks