Ultra Portable Pcs: Asus, Acer, Msi

Richb2004v2

An earlier poster said he/she was quite happy with the ACER Netbook, except for a noisy fan.

I found a review site which said the fan modelhad been changed.

I bought the 160G HDD model a few days ago (on promotion at ACER in Pantip) and i can report the fan is totally silent.

So far so good.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't bother to read 8 pages of comment but here is mine anyways:

Got the eee when it first got out. I wish i waited until the 'full screen' version came out + 4 gig not enough. 8 would be sufficient. Other than that, no complains. I don't trust Acer anymore as a brand (too many problems in the past, friends of mine too). So i would go for Asus's eee if i were you.

An earlier poster said he/she was quite happy with the ACER Netbook, except for a noisy fan.

I found a review site which said the fan modelhad been changed.

I bought the 160G HDD model a few days ago (on promotion at ACER in Pantip) and i can report the fan is totally silent.

So far so good.

That was me. Ultimately it was more than just noise and was actually beginning to fail after just a few weeks use so i sent it back. It seems to be a problem with the bushings, i've seen a few posts about it. If they've managed to replace it with a fully silent fan, that would be great, it was a nice machine other than that. If you ever crack the machine open to add memory or what not, see what make the fan is. The old fan was a Sunon.

I think you'll enjoy the machine a lot. I wish they had the fan issue sorted before, but i could't wait any longer and ordered the Asus 1000H.

@Mumbo Jumbo - Re bluetooth, i added a cirago 3210 usb button, it worked just fine. If you're feeling adventurous there's an unused USB header on the motherboard that some users have used for internal bluetooth. This way you don't use up any of your external USB ports. I'm glad i didn't choose that option as i would have killed my waranty and been stuck with a noisy/dying fan.

Thanks Veazer for the Bluetooth Dongle info.

For any one looking to buy a netbook the choice seem's to be growing on a daily basis, and user info and comments

can give the prospective buyer an idea just what's going on .

Any one else using a Netbook - how's it performing ? :o

Just spotted this comment from September 2008 ..

“Netbooks are a very good solution for mobile people, and help to satisfy certain needs, the margin impact of netbooks is better than on notebooks. The margin of netbooks is not a problem.”

Those are the words of Acer President and CEO Gianfranco Lanci delivered during an Acer Global press conference in Budapest, Hungary. Mr. Lanci also confirmed that due to the success of their Acer Aspire One netbook, it is most likely that the company is planning to release an Aspire One netbook with larger screen. And this is understable since most of the late comers in the scene did not bother to come up with a 7-inch and 8.9-inch netbook anymore, but instead immediately released their notebook with the 10-inch screen.

Additionally, he also said that the current model of the Acer Aspire One will soon have a 3G capability as well as WiMAX to futher boost the success of their netbook.

Similarly, Mr. Lanci also announced that Gateway, the company which they recently bought will also be coming out with a netbook of their own.

There you go, Acer fans, better wait up for these new model of the Aspire One if you haven’t bought one for yourself, unless of course if you’re looking into another brand.

Via LaptopMag

MSI Wind wins product Product of the Year

UK big-hitting gadget site 'Pocket-lint' has rated the MSI Wind netbook as its 'Product of the Year' at the Vodafone Pocket-Lint Gadget Awards. The Wind won out over other phenomenons such as the iPhone 3G, which took 2nd, the FujiFilm F60fd camera and even the Asus Eee PC. In addition to standing atop the biggest podium with the Product of the Year gold medal, the Wind also won best laptop, with the slim Toshiba Portege R500 coming in second in this category.

The Vodafone sponsored awards were hosted at a formal event on the 6th November with PR departments out in full force. The Wind came home as the winner of the night by a slim margin over the hugely popular iPhone 3G. The Eee PC took out the innovation award, the Nokia E71 as the best email device, LittleBIGPlanet the best game and the iconic B&W Zeppelin speakers took home the best music gadget.

http://www.electricvagabond.com/

Been up in the Gold Coast for a few days. Took the Acer with me. The first time really for a test drive. :D At Sydney airport i could connect to a wifi signal. But my browsers wouldnt let me goto any site. But as i was only there fora short time i never figured out what was wrong. Possibly with my firewall. Anyway. When up in the GC i could connect to a decent fast connection at a shopping centre. I could also piggy back someones near my mates house. :o So was pretty happy. At the GC airport i could get a signal and sign in. But some thing was asking for me to pay. fuc_k that. Anyway. The Acer performed very well. My only gripe is the battery life. I'll have to get a newer longer lasting battery.

I am doing a bit of searching on the Samsung NC 10 netbook, and want to ask if any one has any model of Samsung Laptop or even seen a Samsung Laptop here in Thailand? I don't remember ever seeing one on my trips to the IT shops :o

TL

Come to think of it, I think youre right. I don't recall seeing any Samsung notebooks in Thailand. A quick search on the net show they have several models who get good ratings when tested though, so perhaps it's just a matter of Thai import. Lots of Samsung phones though, also very nice!

Just looking it does seem that Samsung do make some notebooks that do seem to get good reviews,

the NC 10 even at this early stage of its release is starting to get some very good reviews, strange that we see here in Thailand shops full of Samsung mobile phones, TV , white goods Etc but no computers - I wonder Why ?

http://www.pda4thai.com/modules.php?name=N...le&sid=1495

http://notebookthailand.trustpass.alibaba.com/

It seems they are here, but for some reason perhaps not too popular. Who knows what drives the Thai market, sometimes the mind boggles :o

EDIT: It seems the importer is a company called Notebook Thailand Co. Ltd. - they have a website at http://www.notebook.co.th/ but it seems to be down. Who knows, perhaps they're no longer trading, maybe that could be the reason?

Edited by Phil Conners

post-56457-1226389278_thumb.png

The Asus Eee PC S101 is an upmarket slimmer version of the Eee PC 1000, hard drive is SSD

Here's a review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/re...-Eee-PC-S101/p1

A comparison between S101 (SSD) and Eee PC 1000H (HDD)

http://ph.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.p...=14&id=2741

I believe they cost ~SGD1000.

Has anyone seen them for sale in Thailand yet ?

Hi pitrevie , sorry can't answer you question, I would also like to know . also any chance you can let us know what you find

and the prices .? I am also looking at ....

MSI Wind U100

Eee PC 1000 H

Eee PC S101

Lenovo S10

Samsung NC10

cheers :o

TL

I hope MSI are being sold at Commart, I am going there Saturday and hoping to pick up the MSI Wind U100

Where is Commart, please?

At the Queen Sirikit Centre, there is an MRT station right outside.

Thank you, I hope that it is still on next week. :o

Hi pitrevie , sorry can't answer you question, I would also like to know . also any chance you can let us know what you find

MSI Wind U100

Eee PC 1000 H

Eee PC S101

Lenovo S10

Samsung NC10

TL

I will post the reply late Saturday but bear in mind that it closes Sunday at 8 p.m. Doubtful that the Samsung will be there.

I hope MSI are being sold at Commart, I am going there Saturday and hoping to pick up the MSI Wind U100

Where is Commart, please?

At the Queen Sirikit Centre, there is an MRT station right outside.

Thank you, I hope that it is still on next week. :o

It closes Sunday night at 8 p.m.

MSI Wind U100

Eee PC 1000 H

Eee PC S101

Lenovo S10

Samsung NC10

TL

I will post the reply late Saturday but bear in mind that it closes Sunday at 8 p.m. Doubtful that the Samsung will be there.

Thanks, Any info on what you see will be appreciated :D

TL