BKK90210

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money number 1

An often quoted phrase which i've heard many a Thai lady recite.

Do you all believe that a westerner of 50+ years is going to be looked at twice by a twenty something sweetie at the mall in his own country.

In Thailand different story.

I know having spent much time up country in Kumhawap the number of young women who are desperate to find a Farang through the internet (any age,any looks as long as he has a full wallet)The internet cafe's are full of such ladies with some running it as a business to write letters on behalf of those whose English skills are not yet developed.These are not bar girls.

I know of cases where farangs have met the lady only once for a week or so and decided on their next trip to marry.

Money dominates these relationships.

Bazz

Money number 1

Do you all believe that a westerner of 50+ years is going to be looked at twice by a twenty something sweetie at the mall in his own country.

I know having spent much time up country in Kumhawap the number of young women who are desperate to find a Farang through the internet (any age,any looks as long as he has a full wallet)The internet cafe's are full of such ladies with some running it as a business to write letters on behalf of those whose English skills are not yet developed.These are not bar girls.

I know of cases where farangs have met the lady only once for a week or so and decided on their next trip to marry.

Bazz

Agree with your post, it's just the title of the thread that might imply some superiority on the farang side.

The losers got in there, if you only saw what human wrecks are in the transit lounge on the Frankfurt-Manila flight (refueling in BKK) it's even more of a caricature.

Farang money, an easy way out from the poverty, that's it, IMO.

But thai girls are liars. Marrying a foreigner is an easy way out. Dont believe their lies of thai men are bad, I like british accent, I love you. They would not know what your humour is or how you speak if they didnt look for you in the first place. And why would they look for you in the first place?

Think that's too general for a statement. Unless, you're saying all girls from other races are angels who don't lie. Or that matter guys too.

Money number 1

Bazz

Agree with your post, it's just the title of the thread that might imply some superiority on the farang side.

The losers got in there, if you only saw what human wrecks are in the transit lounge on the Frankfurt-Manila flight (refueling in BKK) it's even more of a caricature.

Typical stereotype.... :o

1. Statistics indicate that about 50% of all marriages end in divorce. 

2. Asian women living in third world countries have difficulty in finding all of those qualities in a fellow country man.

3. Men from Western society are perceived by Asian women as being in a much better position to provide the comforts that they desire, so Western men are considered by many females as a good catch. Love is not the main initial attraction.

4. Western men also believe (rightly or wrongly) that they are better placed to be able to provide a better standard of living for a third world Asian wife.

Maybe you can back your statements with some references to an official survey or something like that?

At least it will be more convincing and readers here will know that this is not just your own assumptions.

The Family Law Act was passed in December 1975 and a look at the table below will show just how many Australian families have been affected.

Year Marriages Divorces Divorce Rate % Average length

of Marriages

1971 117,637 N/A N/A

1973 N/A 16,226 N/A

1974 110,673 17,744 16.03 N/A

1975 N/A 24,307 11.8 years

1984 108,655 43,124 39.69 10.6

1985 115,493 39,830 34.49 10.6

1991 113,869 45,630 40.07 10.3

1992 114,752 45,665 39.79 10.5

1993 113,255 48,324 42.67 10.7

1994 111,174 48,256 43.40 10.9

1995 109,386 49,666 45.40 11.0

1996 106,100 52,500 49.48 11.0

These are the Australian divorce statistics that I was referring to.

You can read the full article here: http://www.mensrights.com.au/page11b.htm

Other countries are also listed.

With regard to the other points made by me, they are what I tend to believe. I have no statistics to back up my thoughts.

Perhaps you can produce statistics that prove my thoughts wrong.

Pardon me if I sound "challenging" to you, as that was not my intention. I'm only trying to digest what is posted here before I used it anywhere else as part of the knowledge that I have acquired. Hence, I do not want to be "shot down" by some others who might challenge me should I not be able to back up what I'm saying.

Thanks for providing the link.

None of the year listed for Australia hits over 50%. I saw some of the countires listed in there, about 10, and they used the stats for different years, so I cannot do the maths to see which year was more than 50% and also to see if these stats are recent.

Well, anyway, if the stats for Australia is assume to be more than 50% divorce rates, would that mean that most of the Australian guys here are divorcee? Coming to look for Asian wives, instead of the other way round? (No offence to any Australians)

Anyway, the topic was on Thai ladies. As for the other claims you made, so I understand now that its only your assumptions. Thanks.

One of the first 5 questions any woman will ask upon meeting a man is "what do you do for a living?"...... you can almost bet that if she calculates that she earns more than you or that you have little prospects, she will be chatting to the next guy up the bar. They want to know that you can support them while they are having kiddies and doing the home thing. Cant blame them for that.
i am always bemused by comments like this. a man's income doesn't even come in top ten of what i look for in a partner. i can make my own money thanks!?! ...if he does nothing with himself then i won't touch him with a ten foot pole, but if he has passion for something, any sort of ambition or desire to do something great with his life, i am a sucker every time. i have dated plenty of artists and musicians and don't regret a second of it. i have even supported my boyfriends at times. things are not so cut and dried.

like this quote:

Farang money, an easy way out from the poverty

this is absolutely the truth and if you think that fact does not come into consideration with thais, then you are most likely naive. but there are many farangs with money in this country to choose from, so if a girl latches on to you it is probably something a bit more that attracted her. she may crave stability but i have a hard time believing the average girl here or in a western country would put up with some boring bastard for too long when she can easily walk out the front door and get a less boring one. maybe in some cases it's the faulty connection, not the greedy brain that is influencing a failed relationship?!

Edited by girlx

Divorce rate per 1000 marriages :Thailand  0.9 (95)

So, where on this page does it verify the other 4 claims the poster is making?

How many cohabitats upcountry ever get registered?

All those runaway husbands are not covered by the stats.

So those "cohabitants" and "runaway husbands" make up the balance 49% to make the Divorce rate more than 50%?

So if "culture" is taken into account, does engagement breakoffs in western countries count towards their national statisitcs, unless you're saying that in the West, they don't cohabitate, etc, etc as I don't really find it any difference when a guy and girl gets engage lives together compared to the paperless marriages in Thailand.

Sorry, I'm just curious.

Money number 1

Bazz

Typical stereotype.... :o

Thais marry up with Thais as well, it's hardly an insult just because falangs are involved. Those who do take it as an insult more than likely have personal issues or complexes involved.

:D

Money number 1

Bazz

Take a walk with Donald Trump or Bill..... :o

Just a joke.

Seriously though, there is a great danger in generalisation: one tends to forget that it excludes a large chunk of people.

To think that all Thai women go for farang husbands because of money or opportunity is laughable. Shows ignorance I think.

this is absolutely the truth and if you think that fact does not come into consideration with thais, then you are most likely naive.

girlx - for some this is the case, but others it is not. :o

Absolutely right Brit. As girlx wrote herself (below) she doesn't take the money factor into account, as she can make her own but in her view, the Thai's do :D

a man's income doesn't even come in top ten of what i look for in a partner. i can make my own money thanks!?! ...

i am always bemused by comments like this. a man's income doesn't even come in top ten of what i look for in a partner. i can make my own money thanks!?! ...if he does nothing with himself then i won't touch him with a ten foot pole, but if he has passion for something, any sort of ambition or desire to do something great with his life, i am a sucker every time. i have dated plenty of artists and musicians and don't regret a second of it. i have even supported my boyfriends at times. things are not so cut and dried.

there are exceptions to every rule and yes I was generalising.....but as you said you said....they must have ambition or some sort of prospect in life....

would you marry a guy who only wants to work in a factory all his life....I think not.

You want someone who aspires to something more as you yourself have said.

no comment.

:D :D

but the nature is not that cruel .. in asian males have compensate thing .. when erection..

white = soft hardon

asian = hard hardon

I have heard Thai guys say this too before but have found it to be false. :D

oh- with exception of those guys in the boy show at Bangkok's Best Boys... but i think they are hand picked for the startling erections they produce. :D

The guys in the show wear cockrings.

well .. if  you wanna  talk  a bout  big  willy .. white  people might have that advantage ..

but the nature is not that cruel .. in asian males have  compensate  thing ..  when  erection..

white =  soft hardon

asian = hard  hardon

am i right? :o

(anyway the  big deal is not a  thing in your pants ..but its just a  thing in  your  skull and  in your  chest)

What about white asians like me? :D

I'm not rich and not that handsome anymore (the beer and sex catches up with you quickly when consumed in excess :D )...but have/had lots of mutually consented sex (not bgs :D So, anyway I assume this thread is directed to those who choose life-long mates/ marriage, etc.

Some Thai women are attracted to western men, just like some (did I say some? Maybe many is more accurate) western men are attracted to Asian girls. Pure and simple, physical desire..That's the initial. love, bank accounts, opportunities, all that stuff comes second.

Many Thai women as well as Farang men already have target groups of mates set out that lead them into cross/cultural relationships. The financial, opportunities, and willy size aren't the drive for a majority. If that were the case, then Thai girls would be hanging up posters of a Nigerian prince instead of David Beckham, Nelson Mandella instead of James dean, etc. etc. etc.

The physical attraction is initial. So if you don't have the physical attributes to acquire your target, that's where charm and persistent comes in.

As far as Pudge, if that's you and your wife in your avatar, then I'll make an example out of you. You said a lot about liking/loving/ eachother for who you are..personality, etc.

Maybe that's how it worked out in the long run, but it was the physical attraction initially that got you in her pants or hers in yours, however it worked out. Had you been the same exact person/experience/personality/career only with this face and body

post-19605-1134553856_thumb.jpg

Would your wife even have given you the time of day? Likely not

Really? So you think that all the small, young Thai girls walking around with Westerners 20-30 years older, fatter, and opposite in every way are together because of the physical attraction? Maybe for him, but despite what all of you love to tell yourselves, most women are not attracted to their fathers and grandfathers - unless something went seriously wrong in her childhood.

On top of this, you consider that the majority of these relationships are comprised of women from Issan, who have a spiritual debt to repay their parents, and gain much face and economic security for doing so, and you're still trying to convince the world it's for .............. physical and romantic ............ attraction?

And for those of you who want "proof" - I'm not wasting my time here anymore. Read the papers and numerous books and international research on the topic; it's a global transnational phenemenon.

I believe that there are many Thai ladies who want a farang husband and it is possible to find love with these girls.

But lets face it....like their western counterparts they want the best deal they can find, someone who will love them and someone who can support them. One of the first 5 questions any woman will ask upon meeting a man is "what do you do for a living?"...... you can almost bet that if she calculates that she earns more than you or that you have little prospects, she will be chatting to the next guy up the bar. They want to know that you can support them while they are having kiddies and doing the home thing. Cant blame them for that.

Thai women are no different, they want to know that if they make the big move, new country and new life that you are able to support them financially. After all they are taking a big gamble too.

There are many reasons why Thai girls go for farang guys, it is rarely for love alone...financial security, a better life etc... as I said "no different to any other girl in the world"

This is another consolation that men like to tell themselves. Either we are "all the same", or Western women are all whinging, domineering, fat cows. Here's the short answer - we are not all the same. If that was the case, most of you would have the exact same problems as in your own country.

And let me assure you, I have never in my life chosen a man for money. I have never looked at a man as a provider; I've always viewed my mates as a potential partner in life. That is, we build a life together based on both of our hardwork. I do not need a man to support me, so I have always been free to love the men that I wanted - artists, musicians, activists, investment bankers, journalists, dreamers, <deleted>, and gorgeous, beautiful lovers. And I'm not an exception to most of my female Western friends. So, *if you see it this way, you most likely ended up with the "same" kind of woman both at home and here: one who puts money at the top of her list in finding a mate.

I don't have much money, but I've had an incredibly full sexual and romantic life.

**And I still wouldn't go for a rich, overbearing bore over a man to whom I was truly attracted. That's why I don't really date much in Thailand - and go ahead and call me a fat cow so I can laugh in your face :D

Edited by kat

go ahead and call me a fat cow so I can laugh in your face

Kat - Well no one can say that because you are an attractive person inside/out. :D (for some reason a Black Widow spider comes to mind --- mate then eat their partner :o:D )

:D But actually, Brit, if the truth be known, I've been terribly, irrevocably, and deeply in love. And I STILL love them, years and years later. I can't fake or duplicate that emotion, and won't.

I'm not a Black Widow Spider, I'm just a strong woman that needs a strong man.

I'm with Kat on this one too. When I met my husband I had no idea his family had money, they don't appear to, don't flash it about and certainly seemed to be living very basically. (of course back in those days, everybody did!). I didn't care whether he had money or not and would have fallen in love with him even if he were poor. I was attracted to HIM not what he could do for me or give me. I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself, thank you very much and would find a poor decent honest man more attractive than a rich greedy one any day.

go ahead and call me a fat cow so I can laugh in your face

Kat - Well no one can say that because you are an attractive person inside/out. :D (for some reason a Black Widow spider comes to mind --- mate then eat their partner :o:D )

:D But actually, Brit, if the truth be known, I've been terribly, irrevocably, and deeply in love. And I STILL love them, years and years later. I can't fake or duplicate that emotion, and won't.

I'm not a Black Widow Spider, I'm just a strong woman that needs a strong man.

Spider was a windup... my english wit failed me!!! :D Actually I get a turn on from strong ladies. Far more enjoyable then a "yes" type. :D

1. Statistics indicate that about 50% of all marriages end in divorce. 

Ugh, not this again. They really need to make statistics a mandatory Math course so that people would stop thowing these things around as if they were "facts".

Like my Stats teacher taught me in college: "Statistics isn't really a 'hard' mathematical discipline. It's more of an art. It's the art of using the 'truth' to tell a lie."

In other words, what he was trying to say is that raw data is FACT, statistics is OPINION.

Someone wants to show the disintegration of the family unit, then they can bend the statistics to show it. Someone wants to show the exact opposite opinion they can use the SAME raw data and come to a different conclusion. It's all about which data set you look at, what range you select, and how you scale your graphs, etc...

In other words, 50% of marriages may end in divorce, but that does NOT mean that 50% of the PEOPLE getting MARRIED get divorced.

I posted this example before, but it looks like you guys need a refresher:

Take 10 marriages. Five of them get married and stay married forever, but the other five are just a couple of the same people getting married multiple times. So yes, 50% of the marriages ended in divorced, but only 41% of the PEOPLE getting married experienced a divorce.

Here, look at it this way. Imagine the group of people named, "a", "b", "c", etc..., 10 marriages should mean 20 people, right? No, not if there are multiple divorces in the mix, then you only get 17 people getting married. Of them only 7 experienced a divorce (thanks to 2 people getting re-married multiple times).

Like this:

a - b

c - d

e - f

g - h

i - j

i - k

l - m

l - n

l - o

This is only a rough example to demonstrate the point, but you can already see how a few multiple divorcees can screw the statistics. I haven't got a clue what the real numbers look like, but you can imagine how a small group of multiple divorcers could really throw the numbers WAY off.

Especially when people who've been divorced marry other people who've been divorced, suddenly you end up with dozens of marriages, but only a small number of actual PEOPLE getting married. For example, if you have one group of four people get married and stay married, that's TWO marriages total. But if you have another group of four people get married, divorce and remarry each other, that's FOUR marriages total. Double the number of marriages per person!!!

So what you could end up with is a smaller minority of people throwing off the statistics on ALL marriages because they have double or triple the number of marriages than the "no-divorce" group.

Simple point: most people who get married, stay married until one partner dies. Period. All this crap about an "explosion" in the divorce rate is just hype. It HAS gone up, but not as much as some people with political agendas would like you to believe.

Edited by Pudgimelon

well .. if  you wanna  talk  a bout  big  willy .. white  people might have that advantage ..

....It's not to often that you see the words "White people" and "Big Willy" in the same sentence.... :D

but the nature is not that cruel .. in asian males have  compensate  thing ..  when  erection..

white =  soft hardon

asian = hard  hardon

am i right? :o

Gee, I wonder where I fall in this interesting scale, since I'm a black guy, neither white, nor Asian.... :D :D :D

(anyway the  big deal is not a  thing in your pants ..but its just a  thing in  your  skull and  in your  chest)

I'm not worried about the Thing in my pants, I'm wondering about those THINGS in skull, and my chest....They keep bursting out at the most innapropriate times.... :D

The words "I love you" may be nice to hear but they are meaningless.

As usual, Pudgimelon has a lot to learn.

Wow. If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not learn how to be so bitter and cynical.

"I love you" is meaningless? Ouch. That's a pretty harsh way to look at things.

Try to explain that to a child who never gets to hear those words from their parents. I bet after years of therapy, they might come to understand the "logic" of your point of view, but my guess is that they'd still like to hear it every now and then, even if it is "meaningless".

Hey Pudgimelon:

That's a nice definition and demonstration of one form of statistical analysis.

I always thought that statistics was the precise art of imprecision.

Anwyay, here's the thing: it's very simple to design your research questions and samples, with proper representation of design and sample size, to be ethical and unbiased in your research results.

So although the example that you have given is possible, it is not done in well- designed and well-presented research. For example, a simple solution to your scenario is simply to target your sample to single marriages. Is your explanation an example, or an actual representation of aggregated stats on divorce?

If it's an example, then you just committed the same bias in representing stats that you are refuting.

No I didnt mean all thai girls lie. But like I can say the dutch are greedy that doesnt mean everyone is. Every person is different. ALso an example you can see a huge difference in cultures between westerns and thai too. Thai are nicer in general and dont say it to your face. Westerns dont care about your feelings and just say direct. Thats one of the reasons that you came to Thailand. Capiche? There arent many thai girls around here so I dont think I hurt anyone. And for some girls that are here I dont you think they need to feel offended cause it doesnt apply to them if they think so. But alright next time I'm conservative and keep some radical opinions to myself ok SUPER MOD?

I believe that there are many Thai ladies who want a farang husband and it is possible to find love with these girls.

But lets face it....like their western counterparts they want the best deal they can find, someone who will love them and someone who can support them. One of the first 5 questions any woman will ask upon meeting a man is "what do you do for a living?"...... you can almost bet that if she calculates that she earns more than you or that you have little prospects, she will be chatting to the next guy up the bar. They want to know that you can support them while they are having kiddies and doing the home thing. Cant blame them for that.

Thai women are no different, they want to know that if they make the big move, new country and new life that you are able to support them financially. After all they are taking a big gamble too.

There are many reasons why Thai girls go for farang guys, it is rarely for love alone...financial security, a better life etc... as I said "no different to any other girl in the world"

This is another consolation that men like to tell themselves. Either we are "all the same", or Western women are all whinging, domineering, fat cows. Here's the short answer - we are not all the same. If that was the case, most of you would have the exact same problems as in your own country.

And let me assure you, I have never in my life chosen a man for money. I have never looked at a man as a provider; I've always viewed my mates as a potential partner in life. That is, we build a life together based on both of our hardwork. I do not need a man to support me, so I have always been free to love the men that I wanted - artists, musicians, activists, investment bankers, journalists, dreamers, <deleted>, and gorgeous, beautiful lovers. And I'm not an exception to most of my female Western friends. So, *if you see it this way, you most likely ended up with the "same" kind of woman both at home and here: one who puts money at the top of her list in finding a mate.

I don't have much money, but I've had an incredibly full sexual and romantic life.

**And I still wouldn't go for a rich, overbearing bore over a man to whom I was truly attracted. That's why I don't really date much in Thailand - and go ahead and call me a fat cow so I can laugh in your face :o

Kat...

re-read my post and tell me where I said that western women were all whinging, domineering, fat cows, I just did and I cant seem to find it anywhere.

It is a scientific fact that every person seeks a partner based on what there own needs and desires are. Not the needs and desires that we overtly display but the needs and desires that are deep within us all.

I said basically that I see nothing wrong in a woman seeking a partner that will give her the security and stability that she desires in her life, whether that security and stability is financial or emotional or whatever.

If you want to live in a tent with your guy instead of a palace then good luck to you. You are following your inner desires. It is your choice and if it makes you happy then you are fully entitled to it.

But it is inherant in human beings that generally women will look for someone who can provide for them, Men on the other hand look for someone to continue the bloodline with. As civilised as we are, we are still tribal deep down.

If you want me to call you a fat cow then I guess I could but I really dont see the point as I have never met you and I havent got a clue as to your body shape or size. And I actually think cows are kinda cute. :D

Hey Pudgi, have you got any stats to back that claim up with  :o  :D  :D

No, actually, I looked for something on it, but its quite difficult to find. Most statistical studies just look at the divorce rate (about 3.5 divorces per 1000 population) divided by the marriage rate (about 7.3 marriages per 1000 population).

But that's a rather cheap and simplistic way to get a "divorce rate", because it doesn't take into consideration how many INDIVIDUALS are actually getting married.

As we all know, infant mortality totally skews life expectancy rates. Most people who reach 70, tend to live a lot longer, but those people who die when they are 0 or 1 years old, really bring down the average for everybody. Still, it's OK to look at life expectancy in this simplistic way because people only get to die once.

But using this same method with marriages and divorce doesn't take into account that individuals can divorce and re-marry multiple times. So not only do they increase the number of marriages (per 1000 pop), but they also increase the number of divorces (per 1000 pop). But that's "per 1000 population", NOT "per 1000 individuals" and that is a BIG difference.